If you're not a manc you're a w...

Comments

• family time usually when I'm not working. I'll be up in 5 hours to ride to work
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Clayton to Bredbury, via Audenshaw, Crown point Denton straight through to Bredbury industrial estate. Only work 4 days a week so tend to do the full 4 by bike. Just joined the Manchester Wheelers so no more lonely solo rides for me on the days off.

BTW last time I checked we were top of the league by 2 points with a game in hand over most and 2 in hand over the "Blue B******s". They got done by a BENT striker :lol:
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Definately a few more faces about this morning, was up upper chorlton road at about 8.15 and had a tail most of the way. Unfortunately my filtering wasn't up to par so lost him and he went through the lights not to be seen again....
    FCN: 6
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    janm399 wrote:
    I commute from Didsbury to Reddish every day I'm in Manchester. I take a direct route through Parrs Wood and Heaton Moor if the weather is bad. If the weather's good, I take a slight detour, usually through Northernden, then Wilmslow, Poynton, Hazel Grove and back towards Stockport and Reddish. In the summer, I usually stretch it out to go through Prestbury. On average, it adds up to nice 250 - 300 km a week.

I usually leave from Didsbury around 7 - 7:10 and get to the office at 8.

Whereabouts in Reddish? Would Fallowfield Loop be any good as a loop, or as a way of extending route? Seems odd to extend route to get in Hazel Grove to Stockport! Or do you have a good route that avoids A6?
  • straas
    Left a bit late today as I (badly) attempted to true my wheel quickly before I set off.

Ten minutes makes such a difference, the roads were pretty much at a stand-still from just after the hill on edge lane all the way into town, and not much SCR'ing - guessing everyone was a bit more prompt than me!
  • straas
    Left a bit late today as I (badly) attempted to true my wheel quickly before I set off.

Ten minutes makes such a difference, the roads were pretty much at a stand-still from just after the hill on edge lane all the way into town, and not much SCR'ing - guessing everyone was a bit more prompt than me!
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    @hmbadger I go to the Houldsworth Mill in Reddish. Given today's annoying drizzle, I don't think I'll take the scenic route home. It'll be straight down the Broadstone road (B5169), then Didsbury road through Parrs Wood, on to Wilmslow road, then turn into the small lanes to get home just before Coop in Didsbury.
    As for the A6, I don't mind [parts of] it that much. I keep pace with the traffic, take a lane and all is well.

web.png?ver=12959554300001
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • Stretford to Altrincham when my new job starts in a week, after I recce the showering facilities there. Originally I'm from down south.

Is it just me or do Mancunian drivers reflect the overall Northern stereotype of being friendlier than their southern counterparts? It just seems that whilst all the Londoners consider it a good week if they don't get knocked off I always seem to be given loads of time and space! Perhaps it's just my good looks.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • Hello - regular chorlton to city centre-ish commuter here. Usually on Upper Chorlton Road/Chorlton Road/Birchall Way after 9 and return after 6.
  • janm399
    Manc drivers aren't too bad in general. There is the occasional muppet, but overall, it is pretty good.

It may be something to do with not that many cyclists (not POBs) in Manchester, so when you're out on the bike, with lights and keeping decent pace, the drivers see you as a bit of a rarity. Consequently, they don't quite know what to expect and keep their distance.
  • Stretford to Altrincham when my new job starts in a week, after I recce the showering facilities there. Originally I'm from down south.

Is it just me or do Mancunian drivers reflect the overall Northern stereotype of being friendlier than their southern counterparts? It just seems that whilst all the Londoners consider it a good week if they don't get knocked off I always seem to be given loads of time and space! Perhaps it's just my good looks.

I rarely have issues with drivers, I think its right about us being a bit of a rarity on the roads and riding at a sensible pace, well lit and clothed, ride as I'd like to drive behind and I don't act like a selfish lawless dick on my bikes and riding is ok.

My problems seem to stem from Oldham Council incomprehensible and seemingly random dropping of traffic calming out of the sky and the frustration and unnecessary difficulties they can cause
  • straas
    Anyone else feel that headwind this morning? Felt pretty brutal on the legs!
  • I have my own personal headwind that sits in front of me and makes every day feel like that!
    Today there was a group of between 7 and 10 others going up upper chorlton road - i have never seen so many. Passed most, I could have scalped them all if i'd wanted to...
  • straas
    Do you ride a white flatbar:?
  • no a black one - a Genesis that seriously needs a clean ...
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Technically not Manchester, but pretty damn close...

I cycle commute from Hawk Green (Sth Marple) to Wythenshawe centre, via Poynton, Woodford, Bramhall, Cheadle, Heald Green

You may spot me on a blue Ragley MTB, with a 46T big ring & slick tyres being the only adjustment for road riding.
  • n_b_t
    n_b_t Posts: 6
    shm_uk, howdy neighbour. I'm just behind the ring o'bells :)

My commute takes me through Offerton to Roscoe's roundabout on the way to work, off road I vary my route but mostly go through reddish vale and past bredbury hall to avoid roads as much as possible. I try for 2 or 3 days a week, and over the past couple of years have mostly managed it!
  • janm399
    I've been so lazy today. Working from home, though I was meant to go to a meeting in Manchester city centre, but the meeting got cancelled.

I signed up for the Cheshire Cat, so I guess I'll be out in the hills tomorrow. Maybe Oldham -< Holmfirth, maybe Whaley Bridge -> Buxton.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    edited February 2013
    I commute across Mersey nr. Sale Water park by Jacksons Boat pub.
    Decided to use A56 Washway Rd/Chester Rd the other morning and the stretch is and always has been complete and utter sh*te!

No cycle lane at all, pot holes every few yards and traffic nose to tail. Only option is to filter through tiny gaps at every set of lights- and it's only a matter of time before someone creams you off doing that every day.
    I think I will stick to my usual route from now on.

How much is it to ask to have two proper decicated cycleways/paths all the way into M/Cr city centre from the south suburbs? One running alongside, say, Princess Rd, and the other alongside the A56? And free from other traffic and no need to dismount every 100 yards?
    Local authorities claim they want to encourage cycle use as a means of transport.
    Yet the roads are getting progressively worse and worse.
  • mijoli
    mijoli Posts: 7
    Whalley Range/Chorlton border to Manchester City Centre. Quick route in is up Upper Chorlton Road, but that's just too short for a decent ride so tend to go off piste.

I'm mainly on a black Cotic Roadrat.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    Morning all. Commute from Urmston to Oxford Road (Contact Theatre end) most weekdays starting off at around 8.00 and leaving for home at about 4.30pm.

Not much in the way of SCR action... most bods I pass are on hybrids and/or MTBs.

Traffic can be a bit of a mare at times, but generally the drivers are "okay". :wink:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • straas
    sturmey wrote:
    I commute Timperley to Chorlton. usually go across Mersey nr. Sale Water park by Jacksons Boat pub.
    Decided to use A56 Washway Rd/Chester Rd the other morning and the stretch through Sale is and always has been complete and utter sh*te!

No cycle lane at all, pot holes every few yards and traffic nose to tail. Only option is to filter through tiny gaps at every set of lights- and it's only a matter of time before someone creams you off doing that every day.

How much is it to ask to have two proper decicated cycleways/paths all the way into M/Cr city centre from the south suburbs? One running alongside, say, Princess Rd, and the other alongside the A56? And free from other traffic and no need to dismount every 100 yards?
    Local authorities claim they want to encourage cycle use as a means of transport.

If you're that way, jump on the canal at Sale take it as far as stretford, then you can either duck under the canal before edge lane and take hawthorn lane down chorlton green way or get on edge lane for a speedier option.
  • straas
    sturmey wrote:
    I commute Timperley to Chorlton. usually go across Mersey nr. Sale Water park by Jacksons Boat pub.
    Decided to use A56 Washway Rd/Chester Rd the other morning and the stretch through Sale is and always has been complete and utter sh*te!

If you're that way, jump on the canal at Sale take it as far as stretford, then you can either duck under the canal before edge lane and take hawthorn lane down chorlton green way or get on edge lane for a speedier option.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    not technically Manchester but close enough

I commute daily from Handforth - Sale via Heald Green, Northern Moor, Sale Moor

look out for a fat bugger on a red/white decathlon sport 1 roadie LOL
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • shm_uk
    N B T wrote:
    shm_uk, howdy neighbour. I'm just behind the ring o'bells :)

My commute takes me through Offerton to Roscoe's roundabout on the way to work, off road I vary my route but mostly go through reddish vale and past bredbury hall to avoid roads as much as possible. I try for 2 or 3 days a week, and over the past couple of years have mostly managed it!

Hi N B T. I wish I could off-road to work, that would be perfect!
    Best I could manage is along the canal or Middlewood way to Poynton.

Main reason I moved to Marple was to be a stones throw from the Peak District, where I do a lot of my MTBing.
  • shm_uk
    riggsy81 wrote:

My commute takes me through Heald Green, from the Griffin all the way through to Simonsway & into Wythenshawe centre.

I'll be the one on the bright blue Ragley MTB... totally unsuited to commuting with 160mm travel forks and 203/185mm disc brakes :-) ... but semi-slick tyres to make it rideable
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    shm_uk wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:

My commute takes me through Heald Green, from the Griffin all the way through to Simonsway & into Wythenshawe centre.

I'll be the one on the bright blue Ragley MTB... totally unsuited to commuting with 160mm travel forks and 203/185mm disc brakes :-) ... but semi-slick tyres to make it rideable

I'll keep an eye out for ya LOL

I used to commuted on my on one 456 with slicks, then was a stint on the full susser LOL - ahhh memories
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • straas
    Back on the bike today after a full week off due to some %%#%$$ nicking my front wheel!

Seems like the potholes have managed to further degrade - birchfields road heading out of town is like a warzone!

Still no contenders for my scalp though :-(
  • sturmey wrote:

that's my usual route when i'm on the road bike and yes, that stretch of road is unbelievably bad - the council really need to sort it out because it's getting worse and worse

joining the canal at Brooklands metro station and following it to Stretford fortunately helps me avoid it
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    2010 Kona Jake
    2011 Cube AMS Comp
  • Doubt the Council will be sorting the roads out for the forseeable future given the severity of the cuts. Wider tyres?