Who on BR has bought a 'cheap' Chinese carbon frame?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    BeaconJon wrote:
    I'll be running a Campag Chorus 11 on the front. Hopefully it won't present any problems.

You'll be fine with that. I have Chorus 11 on my other bike. Superb groupset 8)
  • Anyone got a TT bike? I have been looking at a frame for a long time
    Any pics of one would be great
    Cheers
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I have a TT bike. Send me a pm and I can send you some pics.

Cheers,

Colin
  • I've just finished reading the entire thread, and I'm tempted to splash out on a FM028 as the geometry seems to fit my existing bike (custom built steel frame that is now 18 years old). The ability to customize the finish of the bike is an appealing option. Just some questions for some earlier posters.
    Hurrah, my FM015 arrived yesterday!
    On first inspection it looks very well finished and the paintjob, although not complex, has been done well, and certainly a bargain at $60.

Just need to decide whether to 'brand' it or keep it clean.

Apologies for poor phone pic...

Photo%20Jul%2021%2C%2020%2003%2035.jpg

Does Option Click ever post? They never gave a ride report. I'm wondering how it compared to his Wilier Mortirolo.
    I read the first few pages and this last only. Iv seen some of the pics and have seen some of the ebay listings on Ebay uk and Ebay Oz.

I bought one with forks and head set.

It cost me $550AU, good price,fast delivery.

I previously roda a giant, alloy/carb bike, ultegra/dura ace, hed bastogne wheels.
    I race in A Grade and ride 4-500ks a week.
    I bought this to race on and train on, currently its sitting in the shed, dismantled and unbuilt as a lesson to not buy shity carbon bike frames.

I was initially happy when I first recieved, built it up with lightweight components.
    Fit was good, I could quite get the gears tuned right but fixed as best as i could and would sort it when I had more time.
    It felt ok, I could ride at a fast speed, turn a heavy gear and sprint....I thought.
    I rode it on one of the big rides that we have herein Melbourne, just happened to galnce at the bottom bracket and I noticed that it was swinging almost 5 oclock to 7 oclock when I pushed it hard.(exagerating to clarify, but it was very flexible laterally, and vertically)

Too noodly, whippy, very flexible, I rebuilt my giant and could feel the stiffness first ride. I wont even give it away as its crap. but each to their own, Its staying on he shed wall to remind me not to make silly purchases.

Same questions to reutercrooks. I'm considering Giants and Wiliers as 'off-the-rack bikes', but part of the joy of building a custom bike is that you get the frame finish, handlebars, seat, wheels and components that you want.

reutercrooks is the only poster ever to write a negative ride report on the bike (but he never mentions what frame it was). I'm close to 90kg and I'm wary of any bike that is going to noticebly flex when under power.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    __PG__ wrote:
    reutercrooks is the only poster ever to write a negative ride report on the bike (but he never mentions what frame it was). I'm close to 90kg and I'm wary of any bike that is going to noticebly flex when under power.

I've never noticed any flex issues in my FM028, and i'm around the 90kg mark myself. More than happy with mine anyway. The 028 is a slightly more relaxed bike than the more racey FM015
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Very interesting article and pics for anyone who owns or is thinking of buying a Chinese frame or in fact probably anyone who owns a frame that cost less than £2k.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ory-33576/
    the facility visited by BikeRadar also builds for De Rosa, Eddy Merckx, Cube, Fondriest and FFWD, among others.
    If these were Italian guys in their 50s the marketing people would be calling it an artisan craft
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah the gallery of photos is excellent, the production quality appears to be very good.
  • mbroady
    mbroady Posts: 63
    I'm thinking of building one up as a singlespeed, has anyone had any experience with this?
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    Well I'm back looking at frames from tony at Dengfu, I am still riding my FM015 (below) after well over a year and it has not had a single hiccup! paint has been perfect, no cracks, excellent! But I am looking at replacing it just because I want to, It probably wont be until off season until I begin work on it but I thought I'd begin.

photo%2520%25285%2529.JPG
    photo taken 5 minutes ago

Basically I've seen tony now does the FM098 which looks very much like the Specialized Venge, So that's what I think I will go with.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23127.0;attach=34926;image
    I know this may upset a few of the "purists" but I will have it painted up as a venge, but with my own colour scheme instead (rough photoshopping):
    purple.jpg

I've seen figure of £420 painted and shipped, and I will be transferring all of my components over except for the wheels which are being replaced this week by some Supersonic 50mm clinchers from Spin cycle works.

Thought it would be nice to show sceptical people how well these frames last!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Are seatposts for that frame readily available? I guess you view the relative cheapness of Chinese frames as a way to change frequently, quite unorthodox to change just because you can, but can see it works for you.

Love the colour schemes on both bikes :)
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    blakef111 wrote:
    ...I am still riding my FM015 (below) after well over a year...

Thought it would be nice to show sceptical people how well these frames last!
    wait... what?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    lol :)
  • blakef111
    I was meaning there are people who believe that these frames wouldn't last for more than a year, just showing that they last
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    blakef111 wrote:
    I was meaning there are people who believe that these frames wouldn't last for more than a year, just showing that they last

Marketing works on the gullible.
  • blakef111
    I'm sorry I must be missing your point
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    blakef111 wrote:
    I'm sorry I must be missing your point

I was agreeing with you.

campagna_falsi_eng.jpg
  • blakef111
    Ahh! Never seen that Chinarello ad before! My LBS has built several Chinarello's now and still haven't had a problem with build qaulity or breakages.

Not sure what BB to har on the fm098 though, tony offers bb30 and BSA, I've jut got my 3D crank which is 24mm axle but could always go for a 3D+ with 30mm axle in the future, argh decisions!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    These dont seem half as cheap as they were last year? or is that just the ebay ones?
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    gb155 wrote:
    These dont seem half as cheap as they were last year? or is that just the ebay ones?

I think its just the ebay ones... its always been cheaper to go direct.
  • gb155
    gb155 wrote:

I think its just the ebay ones... its always been cheaper to go direct.

Deng Fu are asking over $700 in shipping for the FM098, thats almost double I paid for a FM028 and FM015

where are the cheap places to go direct?

• stoobydale
    stoobydale Posts: 535
    Just bought an FM098 for $450, should be arriving in the post(parcelforce) tomorrow. There was also $85 shipping and did get collared for £44 vat and handling fee, but all in it works out about £430 delivered.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    blakef111 wrote:
    photo%2520%25285%2529.JPG
    Your tyres are upside-down. You could have a serious accident! Incorrect installation of tyres causes negative grip when cornering.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • gb155
    stoobydale wrote:
    Just bought an FM098 for $450, should be arriving in the post(parcelforce) tomorrow. There was also $85 shipping and did get collared for £44 vat and handling fee, but all in it works out about £430 delivered.

Where from ?

• stoobydale
    stoobydale Posts: 535
    Where from ?

http://www.velobuild.com
    Join one of the group buys, I was in GB4, 5 nearly has enough for an order you could get in but if you miss it there will be another one soon.
  • Rojales
    Rojales Posts: 26
    Where can i buy a ribble stealth Chinese frame from.
  • Rojales wrote:
    When I was looking this was the closest I could find
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Carbon-M ... 1674wt_808
    Not quite the same so in the end I just went with the ribble
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Rojales wrote:

Try gotobike
  • ridley2010
    ridley2010 Posts: 115
    Try ribble......
  • blakef111
    Herbsman wrote:
    blakef111 wrote:
    "bikeinfrontofgarage"
    Your tyres are upside-down. You could have a serious accident! Incorrect installation of tyres causes negative grip when cornering.

Well I had another go at tyre fitting on my Spin wheels:

photo%2520%25287%2529.JPG

I love my bike!
  • blakef111 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    blakef111 wrote:
    "bikeinfrontofgarage"

Well I had another go at tyre fitting on my Spin wheels:

photo%2520%25287%2529.JPG

I love my bike!
    That is a bloody lovely bike
    How do you find the Q rings?