Sports personailty of the year

124»

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I'm with general opinion here - I mean Jeremy Clarkson championing Amy Williams?! Linekar's chat with Cav revolved around his penchent for chess?! Even though England are utterly dismal at football, there was still plenty of coverage and a special segmant, presented by some bloke, who used to be in 'The Wire'............and Beckham's lifetime acheivement award dragged on a bit. I used to really look forward to SPOTY, but it is becomming tiresome.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    I agree with you Pedro. On the other hand the Welsh SPOTY was a brief awards ceremony but then they had a seperate review of the sporting year that involved lots of interviews. I only watched the start but they covered cycling in quite a bit of depth (probably more than football got) and included interviews with Geraint Thomas and Becky James both of whom gave good interviews and came across as very personable.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Graeme McDowell...who?

Golfer

Winner of the US Open - first European to win it in 40 years

Held his nerve when others fell to bits to sink the winning putt in the Ryder Cup

Finished the season with another 2 wins- one of these was beating Tiger Woods in a play off (leaving the former no. 1 with the first winless season as a pro)

Number 7 in the world rankings.

I reckon his acheivements in 2010 trump anyone else on that list. Could have done better but the golf vote was split (Westwood) and the Irish vote was going to McCoy
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    I'm with general opinion here - I mean Jeremy Clarkson championing Amy Williams?! Linekar's chat with Cav revolved around his penchent for chess?! Even though England are utterly dismal at football, there was still plenty of coverage and a special segmant, presented by some bloke, who used to be in 'The Wire'............and Beckham's lifetime acheivement award dragged on a bit. I used to really look forward to SPOTY, but it is becomming tiresome.

+1.

It's a general problem with the BBC at the moment - all sport coverage is far too sycophantic and "matey". The only sport I watch on it these days is F1, and even then I don't bother with the build-up any more and just stick to Brundle's grid walk and the race. The rest of it is typical BBC matey-matey a.ss licking.
  • Pross wrote:
    I agree with you Pedro. On the other hand the Welsh SPOTY was a brief awards ceremony but then they had a seperate review of the sporting year that involved lots of interviews. I only watched the start but they covered cycling in quite a bit of depth (probably more than football got) and included interviews with Geraint Thomas and Becky James both of whom gave good interviews and came across as very personable.

According to Becky, the actual awards event was a very trimmed down affair compared to last year. The BBC cuts have certainly taken effect.
    However, I know she found the full UK SPOTY bash quite an experience.

Anyhow, since you brought it up, I can't resist the opportunity.
    Geraint Thomas at 14'-40" in.
    Becky J at 10'-20" and 17'-20"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _the_Year/
    Worth a look if you reside in the UK. Dennis, you've had it!

Also this months cover:
    http://www.sportingwales.net/
    Interview can be found on page 10.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • if anyone is going to win, then it has to be our German friend and non other than..... Jens Voigt! he represent everything that is great about the sport, and fantastic guy! Never gives a dull interview nether unlike some. Sport Personality of the Century!
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!