Sports personailty of the year

Comments

• Pokerface wrote:
    At least another rider won! :roll:
    I'd rather Ron Jeremy ....
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    The only thing worse is that a fooking darts player was second! Imagine the signal it would send to the world if a pub game player won.
    Words fooking fail me :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Does anyone actually give a sh!t about this program?

The BBC's coverage of sport is getting increasingly worse, with sychophantic interviews and dull, asinine 'experts' who couldn't analyse something if they tried. The Sports Review of the Year used to be a good show, now it's the epitome of this dull approach to sports coverage from the BBC.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Well cycling did better at the Luxembourg Sports Awards. Andy Schleck won. Frank Schleck was second. I don't know if they have a third sportsman.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • okay..that was a waste of my money! There is something dodgy about this results...if you see most of the sports men/women who finish in the top three have their sport shown in BBC more often the other sports. I mean who is that FAT boy? I thought this was SPORT personality
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    okay..that was a waste of my money! There is something dodgy about this results...if you see most of the sports men/women who finish in the top three have their sport shown in BBC more often the other sports. I mean who is that FAT boy? I thought this was SPORT personality

When was the last time you saw Phil Taylor playing darts on the BBC?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    afx237vi wrote:
    okay..that was a waste of my money! There is something dodgy about this results...if you see most of the sports men/women who finish in the top three have their sport shown in BBC more often the other sports. I mean who is that FAT boy? I thought this was SPORT personality

When was the last time you WATCHED darts on the TV!?
  • afx237vi wrote:

I think I saw darts in late October this year which was televised on BBC2. tell me when was the last time you watched road cycling televised (even highlight of the TDF) on the BBC?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Granted, he did appear a personality, but the darts player looked as if he would expire if he had to run to catch a bus.
    Which doesn't really send out a positive message about sports in GB.

I had to leave the room when Beckham came on. What on earth were his children doing there? The youngest should have been in bed, and no one else had their children there.
  • RichN95.
    I think I saw darts in late October this year which was televised on BBC2. tell me when was the last time you watched road cycling televised (even highlight of the TDF) on the BBC?

Phil Taylor wouldn't have been playing though. He's with the PDC, which is on Sky.

And the BBC last showed road cycling in October too (Worlds and Commonwealths)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

The last time there was road cycling on the BBC was the Worlds, two months ago. The last time Phil Taylor played darts on the BBC was 1993.

I'm not saying he deserved to finish higher than Cavendish, but it has little to do whether it's on the BBC or not.
  • afx237vi
    Pokerface wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Dunno, last year probably. I'll probably watch the latter stages of the PDC Worlds next week. It can be quite good sometimes.
  • I completely agree with you there Tusher. I was cringing when he was giving the award. Couldn't they have found someone who achieved more in their sport? The two who were beside him achieved more than than he did. I bet this would do wonders to his ever expanding egos.
  • SPOTY matters... why?
  • I said this on another SPOTY posting that in the original nominations, Cav was shown with pictures only along with a few others. The winners, McCoy, Taylor and Ennis all had video footage. So, straight away Cav was at a disadvantage in the eyes of the viewing public.

OK, it was later rectified, but the initial thought was he wasn't important enough to have video of him in action.

The finalists were a strange bunch as well, David Haye was only in 2 contests! Amy Williams only works winter, Phil Taylor - is darts a sport? Graeme McDowell...who?

Oh, and David Beckham had me squirming with all that praise...yuk.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • afx237vi
    AndyRubio wrote:
    SPOTY matters... why?

It doesn't, but it gives bored people something to argue about. See also: X-Factor, Apprentice, Strictly Come Dancing etc.

Cav was nowhere near.

1 McCoy 293,152 (41.98%)
    2 Taylor 72,095 (10.33)
    3 Ennis 62,953 (9.02)
    4 Westwood 58,640 (8.4)
    5 McDowell 52,108 (7.46)
    6 Daley 50,763 (7.27%)
    7 Cavendish 44,170 (6.33)
    8 Williams 43,056 (6.17)
    9 Swann 13,767 (1.97)
    10 Haye 7,538 (1.08)
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Dunno, last year probably. I'll probably watch the latter stages of the PDC Worlds next week. It can be quite good sometimes.

I too quite enjoy the darts around Christmas, passes the time as there's sod all else on the box worth watching.
    By the way, well done to Phil Taylor, I quite like him, though I don't like the fact that he's dominated darts so long and I hope someone else get's it this year, but I'll say this for him he's a natural when it comes to doing interviews, I thought he gave a great interview, Cav on the other hand was a bit embarassing :oops:
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    Pokerface wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Now! Haha. Great SPORT!
  • RichN95.
    The Team Sky bus should have won Coach of the Year. Does Colin Montgomerie have mood lighting? No he does not.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Cav got 44,000 votes
    1. Tony McCoy 293,152 (41.98%)
    2. Phil Taylor 72,095 (10.33)
    3. Jessica Ennis 62,953 (9.02)
    4. Lee Westwood 58,640 (8.4)
    5. Graeme McDowell 52,108 (7.46)
    6. Tom Daley 50,763 (7.27%)
    7. Mark Cavendish 44,170 (6.33)
    8. Amy Williams 43,056 (6.17)
    9. Graeme Swann 13,767 (1.97)
    10. David Haye 7,538 (1.08 )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/9302012.stm
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    If they fall and get hurt, they don't whinge about it, they just get up and carry on.

Without the horse? Fair play I say.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Darren555 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    If they fall and get hurt, they don't whinge about it, they just get up and carry on.

Without the horse? Fair play I say.

Yeah.....have you not seen that Weetabix advert? :)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    This says more about the Great British viewing public than the event itself, maybe having a jockey with an eating disorder that lives on sugary tea and a fat darts player who lives on leaded lager as number 1 & 2 in this Great sporting nation indicates our real heroes.
    There will always be a debate about what constitutes being a sportas IMO horse racing is all about betting which can get certain folk in horrible financial hock and promotes jockeys being put on ridiculous diets of hardly any nutritional value.
    Darts well no doubt in my mind definitely not a sport an indoor game same as chess, cards snooker etc, dominated by obese people that need three pints of lager before they can get hands to stop shaking.

I was left feeling last night :oops: embarrassed and this morning :( sad.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think it's very hard to compare achievement across sports but having looked up what McCoy has done I can't complain about him winning. I'm not a fan of betting either - I think it causes more misery than it's worth - so it's not a sport I like but the element of physical skill and competition makes it a sport even so.

As for darts - well it's competition where physical skill plays a major part in deciding the outcome - that's a sport isn't it ? Chess and cards are purely mental so for me they are games - snooker, darts, shooting - sports.

edit - glad Haye got an embarassingly low total for a heavyweight champion - suggests some of his "banter" has not endeared him to the public.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Well Cav obviously cares about it, it was written all over his face.
    It was weird how he was nominated on the back of 5 Tour stage wins, no mention of his other results, including the Points Jersey at the Vuelta?

As for the Top 3: -

3 - I would concede Jess Ennis is at the very top of her game and is a very fine athlete, although 2010 not an Olympic or Worlds year, so reliant on a European title - enough?
    2 - Phil Taylor is clearly not athletically gifted, but then again darts isn't a physically demanding game. But to my mind, neither is golf. Or snooker. Or any number of 'sports'. It does take dedication, mental fortitude and performance under pressure. Obviously, it's roots are firmly placed in pubs/working class, perhaps it's just snobbery. Is archery a sport. Or curling? Or bowls? Or shooting?
    1 - I personally don't 'get' horse-racing as a 'sport'. It exists purely for the purposes of gambling - take that away and it would all but dissapear to a level akin to other equestrian hobbies. AP McCoy is certainly dedicated and has peformed at the top of his game over many years, but there are so many other factors governing whether he's a success, other than his skill as a jockey (ie quality of field, conditions and not least, the speed of his horse!). A lot was made of his ability to get up after a fall, but if that was a boxer, it would hardly be celebrated would it!

Like everything else on weekend TV - simply a telepoll popularity contest!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If darts is a sport then playing computer games against others online should be considered a sport too!

Horse riding is a bit different and i agree with it being a sport but like F1 racing the achievement in winning is less than in alot of other sports because the result is so skewed in favour of those who start with the best equipment. Stick the 'best' jockey on the worst horse in the field or race driver in the worst car and they won't get close to winning 99% of the time - stick Cav on the worst bike in Tour and he will still be up there competing for the sprint finishes, have Bolt wear Nike instead of Puma and he will still be the fastest man in the world over 100 m and so on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Lads

When riding a horse at 30mph+ down to a Hurdle surrounded by 2 or 22 horses you do not just hang on for dear life. You have to keep your horse balanced and be in controll. It could be compared to decending at speed down a mountain on wet roads. A slight lack of concentration and it all over. Its the fact that Tony McCoy does it day in day out on Horses of all sorts of ability is what makes him stand out.
    As they say 'its not about the Bike' in Racing its not just 'About the Horse' because its more often than not the 'Ability of the Rider to get the best out of the given Horse on the Day'

I would say that there is no other Jockey since Lester Piggott who would deserve to be on a year end list buy Tony McCoy does purely for his record in all races not just the Classic Equivalents

This - it really gets on my tits when people who have never sat on a horse make comments like "the horse does all the work". It is physically demanding to ride a horse at a low level let alone flat out over jumps you can't see across - these animals weigh about 10 times more than their jockeys and have their own minds. The skill, nerve, strength and stamina of the jockeys is incredible. There's a massive difference between riding a horse and sitting on a horse. If anyone disagrees I'm sure I can arrange for them to have a go at putting a horse around a small course of jumps!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Oh, nearly forgot - I would have voted for Amy Williams if I could be bothered to waste the money just cos she looked great (closely followed by Jess of course!). Can't stand Dame Kelly but have to admit her legs looked great :shock:
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Pross wrote:
    Lads

When riding a horse at 30mph+ down to a Hurdle surrounded by 2 or 22 horses you do not just hang on for dear life. You have to keep your horse balanced and be in controll. It could be compared to decending at speed down a mountain on wet roads. A slight lack of concentration and it all over. Its the fact that Tony McCoy does it day in day out on Horses of all sorts of ability is what makes him stand out.
    As they say 'its not about the Bike' in Racing its not just 'About the Horse' because its more often than not the 'Ability of the Rider to get the best out of the given Horse on the Day'

I would say that there is no other Jockey since Lester Piggott who would deserve to be on a year end list buy Tony McCoy does purely for his record in all races not just the Classic Equivalents

This - it really gets on my tits when people who have never sat on a horse make comments like "the horse does all the work". It is physically demanding to ride a horse at a low level let alone flat out over jumps you can't see across - these animals weigh about 10 times more than their jockeys and have their own minds. The skill, nerve, strength and stamina of the jockeys is incredible. There's a massive difference between riding a horse and sitting on a horse. If anyone disagrees I'm sure I can arrange for them to have a go at putting a horse around a small course of jumps!

+1

There was a great piece in one of the nationals a few months back when the journo had a go on the electric horse thing the jockeys use to learn/train. He lasted less than a minute and was so knackered he nearly puked...and that was on the 'low' setting.

I've never done it (6'6"!) but I reckon being a jump jockey must be one of the hardest dollars out there...

Still voted for Cav though!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I don't buy the 'it's knackering, therefore it's a sport'.

You might as well have f*cking as a sport if that's the case.