Sports personailty of the year

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I don't buy the 'it's knackering, therefore it's a sport'.

You might as well have f*cking as a sport if that's the case.

Hmm, when done well it requires stamina, an element of co-ordination and control, rhythm, flexibility - I think you could be onto something here! Maybe I can even convince the wife that I need a training partner and as she doesn't like sport I'll find someone who does :lol:
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    ... and if you're going to do a sport, you could at least make a proper effort.

I'm referring of course to Golfists.

A little servant man to carry their heavy baggage.. ahhh, bless
    And a ickle car to carry their lazy behinds...

Lazy or what.

:wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    shm_uk wrote:
    ... and if you're going to do a sport, you could at least make a proper effort.

I'm referring of course to Golfists.

A little servant man to carry their heavy baggage.. ahhh, bless
    And a ickle car to carry their lazy behinds...

Lazy or what.

:wink:

Ah, this must be why the pro are sportsmen unlike the average weekend hacker - they walk the whole course, no buggy :wink:
  • If you can smoke whilst your doing it, it's not a sport.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Pross wrote:
    I don't buy the 'it's knackering, therefore it's a sport'.

You might as well have f*cking as a sport if that's the case.

Hmm, when done well it requires stamina, an element of co-ordination and control, rhythm, flexibility - I think you could be onto something here! Maybe I can even convince the wife that I need a training partner and as she doesn't like sport I'll find someone who does :lol:

The co-ordination part will come into play big time here.
  • HenryS
    HenryS Posts: 104
    It's only a sport if you need to change shoes to perform it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you can smoke whilst your doing it, it's not a sport.

2nd time in a week I've posted this!

10.jpg
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    HenryS wrote:
    It's only a sport if you need to change shoes to perform it.

Triathlon counts twice then as you have to change shoes mid event :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    This says more about the Great British viewing public than the event itself, maybe having a jockey with an eating disorder that lives on sugary tea and a fat darts player who lives on leaded lager as number 1 & 2 in this Great sporting nation indicates our real heroes.
    There will always be a debate about what constitutes being a sportas IMO horse racing is all about betting which can get certain folk in horrible financial hock and promotes jockeys being put on ridiculous diets of hardly any nutritional value.
    Darts well no doubt in my mind definitely not a sport an indoor game same as chess, cards snooker etc, dominated by obese people that need three pints of lager before they can get hands to stop shaking.

I was left feeling last night :oops: embarrassed and this morning :( sad.

What does it say about the Great British public when they throw a strop just because their guy didn't win? Something about sour grapes, maybe.

The stuff about gambling and drinking... er, 6 day racing anyone?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    This says more about the Great British viewing public than the event itself, maybe having a jockey with an eating disorder that lives on sugary tea and a fat darts player who lives on leaded lager as number 1 & 2 in this Great sporting nation indicates our real heroes.
    There will always be a debate about what constitutes being a sportas IMO horse racing is all about betting which can get certain folk in horrible financial hock and promotes jockeys being put on ridiculous diets of hardly any nutritional value.
    Darts well no doubt in my mind definitely not a sport an indoor game same as chess, cards snooker etc, dominated by obese people that need three pints of lager before they can get hands to stop shaking.

I was left feeling last night :oops: embarrassed and this morning :( sad.

What does it say about the Great British public when they throw a strop just because their guy didn't win? Something about sour grapes, maybe.

The stuff about gambling and drinking... er, 6 day racing anyone?!

Quite.

The issue with horse racing, even if there is one, is that it's another being, in this case a hourse being, doing the actual racing. So the input the jockey has, is secondary. in a car, the input is primary.

But it's a sport anyway.
  • dougzz
    AP is a boss sportsman. SPOTY is a joke, it's simply a popularity vote. This year AP won because racing fans mobilized to vote for him, simply because they thought it was time a jockey actually won. But don't knock AP because no one here of this forum could match his dedication and commitment to what he/they do.

As for what's a sport, you'll never get agreement on that, but anyone that thinks riding a NH race is a case of just sitting on the back or a horse is themselves comparable with the back end of a horse.

The big issue of the evening is how much did Monty want to belt Lineker live on TV.
  • Even though I am a Cav fan I have to say he did himself no favours last night. Most of what he said was gibberish. He didn't seem able to string a sentence together, it was like an extended version of Cantona's sardines and trawlers sketch. He should have been the one saying "and I won the sprinter's jersey in the Vuelta" and not have waited for crisp boy to bring it up.

Contrast that with Phil Taylor, sportsman or not, during his "interview" he came across as a really nice personable guy happy to just have made the final 10.

I think any neutrals would have been more likely to vote for the dartist on the back of what they heard last night.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102

I think you'll find cigerettes were fairly popular amongst Tour riders in the early days. Opened up the 'lungs' nicely by all accounts................
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

I think you'll find cigerettes were fairly popular amongst Tour riders in the early days. Opened up the 'lungs' nicely by all accounts................

tour-de-france-1920.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Even though I am a Cav fan I have to say he did himself no favours last night. Most of what he said was gibberish. He didn't seem able to string a sentence together, it was like an extended version of Cantona's sardines and trawlers sketch...

True. The irony being he was trying to illustrate the measures he takes to keep his mind sharp as a tack, whilst coming across as an inarticulate moron. I suppose it's a bit like Rooney having a finely-tuned 'footballing' brain?! The cameraman seemed more intestested in his new 'page 3 stunner'.
  • If you can smoke whilst your doing it, it's not a sport.

Give that man a cigar. OK, these superstars of the past aren't riding, but what the heck :lol:

1948BartaliCoppiMagniKublercigars.jpg

OT : in actual fact I was trying to work out how to post a pic' on here as it's different from a mac apparently. Or at least from what I remember from windows days. It took an age but it appears to be as simple as drag and drop.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • RichN95.
    mercsport wrote:

Give that man a cigar. OK, these superstars of the past aren't riding, but what the heck :lol:

1948BartaliCoppiMagniKublercigars.jpg

OT : in actual fact I was trying to work out how to post a pic' on here as it's different from a mac apparently. Or at least from what I remember from windows days. It took an age but it appears to be as simple as drag and drop.

That's actually a scene from an old Italian comedy film called "Toto al Giro d'Italia", which someone posted a thread about a few months ago. There are clips of it on YouTube

You can see the scene in question at the end of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNjyNvGjYk

(But then you probably already knew all that)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    (But then you probably already knew all that)

Aye. But thanks for reminding me about my dodgy level of recall. I couldn't dredge up that film's title at all. I'm not sure whether I'd veered OT(again) when I posted that clip originally.

Among the greats in the picture here are Bartali, Coppi and Magni. I think Magni is still about and active. :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:
    The last time there was road cycling on the BBC was the Worlds, two months ago. The last time Phil Taylor played darts on the BBC was 1993.
    My slant is the winner has ususally been on the BBC "OR" is very well known through the Daily Tabloid Newspapers.
    It is the BBC's own private production isn't it.
    Cycling has won the BBC SPOTY twice in 57 years so why get excited.

It is time Sky Sports started one with all the coverage they do. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    What a bunch of sour grapes crap.

Cav will only stand a chance if he wins the green jersey. If he's a worthy winner, why not give the overseas award to Greipel who stands above him in the rankings?

McCoy is a worthy winner. Swann would have been a good one too.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:

Cav will only stand a chance if he wins the green jersey. If he's a worthy winner, why not give the overseas award to Greipel who stands above him in the rankings?

hearhear!the majority of the posters on this thread are as gracious in defeat as the delightful Cav himself
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Horse riding is a bit different and i agree with it being a sport but like F1 racing the achievement in winning is less than in alot of other sports because the result is so skewed in favour of those who start with the best equipment. Stick the 'best' jockey on the worst horse in the field or race driver in the worst car and they won't get close to winning 99% of the time - stick Cav on the worst bike in Tour and he will still be up there competing for the sprint finishes, have Bolt wear Nike instead of Puma and he will still be the fastest man in the world over 100 m and so on.

I agree with all this. I can ride a horse, and I know just how demanding it can be, and that jockeys are extremely fit and talented people, BUT, like in F1, there are only a few horses in each race which are actually fast enough to win it.

If anybody deserves an award for equestrian it would be the trainers. Or the horse. (And if a horse could become a Roman Senator, why not SPOTY :wink: )
  • deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Who are you missing out? B Burton, Tom Simpson or Chris Hoy? Retires to pedants corner to consider the contents of Amy Williams frock.............
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Timoid. wrote:

.....why Greipel? why not any of the riders who finished above Greipel in the rankings?

Strikes me as a bit of a poor troll that one, just to get a Cav fans, who you presume hate Greipel. I'm a Cav fan, but at the same time think Greipel is a great sprinter too.

FWIW I reckon McCoy was a pretty deserving winner too :D
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    3 winners in 57 years sounds like a pretty good return to me for a minority sport like ours. Maybe we should stand aside and allow some other minority sports their time in the spotlight (not darts though, or snooker!)
  • RichN95.
    I
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Who are you missing out? B Burton, Tom Simpson or Chris Hoy? Retires to pedants corner to consider the contents of Amy Williams frock.............

A true pedant would know that Beryl Burton never won it
  • RichN95.
    I
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

• RichN95 wrote:
    I
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Damn Henry Cooper I had it set that it was still boys and girls then :)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andyp wrote:
    Does anyone actually give a sh!t about this program?

The BBC's coverage of sport is getting increasingly worse, with sychophantic interviews and dull, asinine 'experts' who couldn't analyse something if they tried. The Sports Review of the Year used to be a good show, now it's the epitome of this dull approach to sports coverage from the BBC.

Andy that was a great comment and sums up the situation exactly. And it is no good saying the fans will decide. The media and BBC in particular, shape what the fan is allowed to think.

Phil the Power 2nd. What happened to the bowls report? Greg Harlow World indoor champion 2010. OK so some Aussie won the real outdoor version & World Cup and Kiwi girls did the same for the women, but winning an indoor version has not stopped the conning of the British public about who is really top of their "activity" ( I nearly wrote sport there). After all wasn't Hoy loads better than any of them tour riders in 2008 ?

But back to where to draw the line - Bowls out, Darts in ? More exertion, they have to wear special shoes and they need a proper pitch. Bowls has far more claim to being a proper sport than ever darts has. How about other famous British pub games - pub skittles bowling or that game with toadstools and a ball on a chain. Great fun with the kids. I am sure if we get a few Aussies and a single non- Commonwealth country to join in we could hold a World Championships and rank it alongside the World Road Race title for equivalence.

Andy - I am with your point of view. With the BBC Sports Editorial team now run by what appears to be people with the analytical capability of pre-pubescent school boys we can not hope for a return to the qualities of reporting of the past. We are in a new dark age. Only a besotted, childlike fan could think that giving Beckham the lifetime achievement award and the way they did it. I turned my telly off that moment and only picked up who won off ceefax later on. And most of all I was mad with myself. How stupid was I to waste part of my life when I knew how it was likely to turn out. More fool me. I should have known better.
    Andy did you post any such sentiments on the BBC web site ?
  • dougzz
    Does anyone remember Indoor League with Freddie Truman? Surely if it was a 'League' it was sport, so how about more coverage of Shove H'penny (spelling?) and Pub Skittles, and where was the Bar Billiards coverage?

It's very easy to define what is a sport and what's not, just ask me and I'll classify it for you, some examples,

Football yes
    Road Cycling yes
    Track Cycling no
    Cricket yes, if England are winning otherwise no
    Baseball yes
    Basketball, no, previously yes but now His Airness has retired it's not the same.

:roll: