Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 Studded tyres 28x1.35

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hatbeard wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    In case you are interested - All Terrain are currently listing Marathon Winters in 700, 26, 24 and 20 as in stock. About £37 for the 700 and 26. Who knows, they might actually have them! :D

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/123374.html

*yoink*

would appear I just got the last set (even though they're still on the site) and they've just been dispatched :D

Well done! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Rolf F wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    In case you are interested - All Terrain are currently listing Marathon Winters in 700, 26, 24 and 20 as in stock. About £37 for the 700 and 26. Who knows, they might actually have them! :D

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/123374.html

*yoink*

would appear I just got the last set (even though they're still on the site) and they've just been dispatched :D

Well done! :D

Email said they'll be with me by 4pm tomorrow so thanks for the heads up :D
    Hat + Beard
  • rolf_f
    hatbeard wrote:
    Email said they'll be with me by 4pm tomorrow so thanks for the heads up :D

It was a funny thing - a colleague (one of the few in the building!) stopped by to ask how I was getting on in the snow so I mentioned the tyres - and he said he thought he'd seen something like that on an email he'd had from All Terrain. When I said there weren't any to be had anywhere, he said maybe he'd got it wrong but I went and checked the website anyway and there you go - glad to have been of assistance :D

PS - another funny thing - I was in the shop the other week and I didn't even think to ask if they had any in stock. And I was looking for tyres for the Dawes......
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    my current tyres are 700x25 any idea on whether the 35c will be too much?

its the fixie in my sig

Thanks
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    andy83 wrote:

its the fixie in my sig

Thanks

No chance. Why on earth would you want to ride that nice road bike through ice, snow, slush, salt, grit and general crud of roads in deepest darkest winter?

You might get 28C tyres at a pinch as clearances look to be non existent. Then there's the rims on your bike. I shouldn't think 35C would fit them. You would need at least a 19mm rim. I would guess you have 13-16mm rims at the moment. 28C is really the max tyre width they can take. Also a 35C tyre has a larger rolling circumference than a 25C tyre meaning not only is it fatter but taller hence clearance issues.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • hatbeard
    Hallo, Ihre Ware wird heute versendet.

Looks like I now have two sets in the post :?
    Hat + Beard
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    So? Sell the extra set. Can't lose. Wish I'd bought a pair as I'm off work today so would have been a good time to go for a (short) ride.

Maybe next paycheque......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    hatbeard wrote:
    Hallo, Ihre Ware wird heute versendet.

Looks like I now have two sets in the post :?

700cc or 26 inchers?
  • hatbeard
    edited December 2010
    35x700c
    Hat + Beard
  • iPete
    Darn, stupid low clearance road bike :evil:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    dilemna wrote:
    ..I shouldn't think 35C would fit them. You would need at least a 19mm rim. I would guess you have 13-16mm rims at the moment. 28C is really the max tyre width they can take.

My commute bike has 15mm wide rims ( Ridga Chrina ) and the 700x35 Marathon Winters fit on and work fine
  • Really no 26"ers available anywhere. A ride and a spill on what I have designated my snow bike today convinced me I need spikes. I'll cope without for the moment, but as soon as they come back in stock, I'll get a pair, and mount them on a spare wheelset, ready for next time. In other news, they're eyewateringly expensive, aren't they?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • rolf_f
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Really no 26"ers available anywhere. A ride and a spill on what I have designated my snow bike today convinced me I need spikes. I'll cope without for the moment, but as soon as they come back in stock, I'll get a pair, and mount them on a spare wheelset, ready for next time. In other news, they're eyewateringly expensive, aren't they?

My second was less than £30 :wink: Much better value by weight than my Ultremos!

All Terrain might still have Ice Spikers. Alternatively, the German sites charging about £70 a pop probably still have stocks :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Really no 26"ers available anywhere. A ride and a spill on what I have designated my snow bike today convinced me I need spikes. I'll cope without for the moment, but as soon as they come back in stock, I'll get a pair, and mount them on a spare wheelset, ready for next time. In other news, they're eyewateringly expensive, aren't they?

My second was less than £30 :wink: Much better value by weight than my Ultremos!

All Terrain might still have Ice Spikers. Alternatively, the German sites charging about £70 a pop probably still have stocks :lol:

Only in 28, sadly. I'll just survive this spell, and get some when they restock.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• iPete
    Rolf F wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:

Nope!

I'll be watching the wiggle stock status closely that says early Dec at the mo but I think thats unlikely! starbikes.com (germany) have told me they might not be getting as much stock as expected this week, so might miss out on my oder! :evil:

Infact I might re-place an order on wiggle to get in que, they should be easy enough to sell if both shops come up with the goods.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:

Only in 28, sadly. I'll just survive this spell, and get some when they restock.

Ehhh??? Haven't you read this thread and most importantly my OP ? ............ :roll:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Yes, I've read it, and my findings are as yours; they're sold out. So when they come back in stock, as they eventually will, I'll buy some. That might not be til spring, but the last week has convinced me that as a car-free person, I need to be prepared for ice and snow, so I'll get some, mount them of a spare wheelset, and go from there.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    dilemna wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

its the fixie in my sig

Thanks

No chance. Why on earth would you want to ride that nice road bike through ice, snow, slush, salt, grit and general crud of roads in deepest darkest winter?

You might get 28C tyres at a pinch as clearances look to be non existent. Then there's the rims on your bike. I shouldn't think 35C would fit them. You would need at least a 19mm rim. I would guess you have 13-16mm rims at the moment. 28C is really the max tyre width they can take. Also a 35C tyre has a larger rolling circumference than a 25C tyre meaning not only is it fatter but taller hence clearance issues.

Cheers

To be honest I think ill get a little better prepared next year, have an old mtb in shed that I think I need to set up. To be honest though I actually feel a lot safer on my fixie, think its cos skid stopping in the snow gives me a sense of control and also just feel safer in general!

I have my nice road bike and the fixie was always intended to be my winter bike so not too fussed, id rather feel safe and have to replace a few parts in a few months really
  • I think I'm going to try to make my own. I've been researching on the Winter Cycling forum on Bikeforums, and lots of people seem to have luck with the screws, but I'm leaning towards pop rivets, as mentioned here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pop-Riv ... Road-Bike/

I can do this with my existing tyres, and spring for a set of Fat Franks at half the price for summer riding. I'll let you know how I get on.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• hatbeard
    ok stupid question... what way round should the tread be? :lol:

sitting on the bike should the 'v' shape tread pattern be pointing forwards or backwards? I can find examples on google images showing both. :?
    Hat + Beard
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It says Rotation> on the sidewall.
  • that german shop in kingston has plenty of 26/700 studded tyres though they are pricey for what are clearly cheap tyres.
  • hatbeard
    that it does! I did look for that but for some reason I didn't see any writing on the reflective sidewall. I blame these poxy low wattage save the whales lightbulbs I've got. :lol:

the good news is I luckily fit them the right way round and thanks to a loan of cyclopsbikers' track pump I should good to go on the way to work tomorrow. looks like I'll have a good few days to bed them in before we're likely to see any more snow as well.
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard
    First ride in was crunchy but uneventful (apart from seeing cyclopsbiker along the way).

To be honest I didn't really notice a difference in rolling resistance to my old tyres either. the noise takes a few minutes to get used to then it just sounds like the crackling of an open fire which helps you imagine you're not outside in the freezing cold but actually inside in the warm :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Why would you use them when it's NOT icy or snowy?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• hatbeard
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Why would you use them when it's NOT icy or snowy?

the instructions that come with the tyres say that they should be ridden for about 25 miles on hard road to help permanently bed the studs in (my guess is this helps them not have to do as much QA on the tyres to make sure the studs are fully seated or something).

but besides that now they're on they'll live on my bike until spring starts warming up. I don't have the luxury of a second wheel set to keep them on.

I'm running them at about 60psi at the moment but I'll probably pump them up to the max 80 tonight and only drop them when the snow starts falling again.
    Hat + Beard
  • Ah, I see. Makes sense.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I did 32 miles on mine yesterday, after 6 miles and no ice I thought hmmm perhaps I should have taken the winter bike instead, then there it was mile after mile of frozen snow, mud, ice and black ice :shock:

Descending over 25mph on sheet ice :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Terrifying and exhausting, I seem to remember it took me a few weeks last year to get use
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • anyone know of any where with these in stock?
  • Schwalbe Winters in 700C and 26" are allegedly due at the UK importer (Bohle) "2nd week in December" My cynical take on this (I ordered my stock in September) is next week. Continental winter tyres are not expected at Madison until 22/12
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed