Schwalbe Marathon Winter 240 Studded tyres 28x1.35

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Ordered some of these last friday from Germany at ActionSports as their web site indicated healthy stock levels. Received an email from them yesterday that they do not acutally have any in stock having charged the value of the tyres to my credit card.

Further correspondance with them has revealed that they do not expect any more stock until end of winter season 2011 as Schwalbe have totally run out of stocks of winter tyres. The shelves are bare. They are either unable to make any more at such short notice or just cannot keep up with demand. A nice place to be as a business - you can't make enough of something.

Anyway refunding to my CC I may lose out again as the pound has got a bit stronger against the Euro in the last few days, or the Euro weaker ...........

Snows have also come early and heavy to a lot of Europe as well.

So it will be solely travelling by car unless the ice and snow disappears which might not be for some time yet :( .
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Snow studs are supposed to be fairly poor on tarmac. I'd try to find Ice Spikers as a better alternative.

Also try this link - http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/a297439.html

This is where I found my Marathon WInter - from Actionsports; it arrived today. I think I was very, very lucky! I ordered mine on Saturday but it was a 26. If you look, there are some still indicating stock though the prices start getting steep very quickly! Still, I'd rather have expensive tyres than take the bus. Not that the buses are running here.......And, I wouldn't waste any time with an order from anyone who did have stock.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    studs are only any good on Ice or very compact snow.

just look at a treaded tyre.

forget the ice spiker.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    saladdays wrote:

I think 700 x 42C might be a bit wide and tall. 35C is ok maybe even 37C, but 42C unikely due to clearance issues. Thanks anyway for the link.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • rolf_f
    nicklouse wrote:
    studs are only any good on Ice or very compact snow.

Which is exactly what the OP is likely to be needing to deal with this winter so you are effectively advising treaded tyres for dealing with ice or compact snow! There is going to be more to the conditions that we are dealing with here than just fresh snow so I think any studded tyre, including the ice spiker, would do better on ice than a treaded tyre......
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    my order is sitting on the precipice of either being despatched or cancelled

showed in stock when I ordered them

was showing product unavailable when i checked the product page again

order status went from waiting for paypal to in progress this morning and delivery estimate is 2-4 days.

the product page no longer appears on the site at all.

either I'm very lucky and grabbed the last two or i'm about to be disappointed very soon.

the stress is enough to make me go grey. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    [smug]come on now folks you had all year to thin about this, it's not like we haven't already had snow at the beginning of the year now is it?[/smug]

In my never ending catalogue of stupidity packed my studs away in March but rather than leave the tyres on my spare wheels I took them completely off, duh! why?

Most annoying this morning at 6am :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hatbeard
    itboffin wrote:
    [smug]come on now folks you had all year to thin about this, it's not like we haven't already had snow at the beginning of the year now is it?[/smug]

I only got my bike 2 months ago and back then I was too scared to ride it in normal weather let alone arctic conditions. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Not sure if they make ice spikers in 700c.

But I am very happy with mines. My commute tonight took me through some frozen icy woodland sections. Very happy with the grip.
    On tarmac they are not worse than any big knobbly tyres.
  • itboffin
    The weirdest thing i've found is the slip grip effect, it takes some getting used to as does the bombing downhill at over 20mph on packed snow & ice :shock:

Came home every evening with a masshoof smile
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    I just went out this evening to test the Winters out - the random loose snow/tyre squashed stuff was entertaining but maybe not conducive to commuting in a straight line. The more flattened stuff on the road up the hill was no bother though - no grip problems on that and brake tests on the way down seemed very effective.

Tomorrow just depends on the traffic. Could try cycling up the pavement if the road is blocked. Could be fun!
  • itboffin
    New rules

Cycling on the pavement equals total loss of stats league position :roll: er no reason for the new rule.

honest guv :roll:

Evening Rolf F

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    Oh well, easy come, easy go :lol:

PS - what if you can't see the join between the road and the footpath?
  • itboffin wrote:
    The weirdest thing i've found is the slip grip effect, it takes some getting used to as does the bombing downhill at over 20mph on packed snow & ice :shock:
    :lol: Know what you mean. Same effect with the ones I'm using on my MTB. Mind you the slip grip effect isn't that much different to what you get trying to apply a lot of power in muddy conditions so if you can handle that its fine.

Mike
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've got some Marathon Winter 200 stud 26 inchers on order from starbike.com but they haven't taken my monies yet!

Ordered yesterday and today it says...
    expected to be available from w/c January 10 2011

I'm either very lucky or out of luck :cry:
  • Can I remind everyone that, after stopping on these nicely grippy tyres, you may actually be on ice and your shoes probably don't have spikes!? I've not come off, but have had a couple of skiddy moments when stopped at traffic lights!
  • itboffin
    Fitted my spike claws back onto my spare very heavy wheels this morning which made me think, time for some new MTB wheels, just cheap hands built from Merlin :wink:

I mean I use my MTB oooh once or twice a year :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    PS Snow studs are fine on tarmac, just a bit slow like any other MTB tyre.

I got the last two that Wiggle had back in last January, just as the snow hit - I ended up driving in thick snow to pick them up from a courier. I used them for a good month through January into February, and of course got them out recently, and have been commuting daily on them for the last two weeks in ice, slush, deep snow, frozen snow..... both on road and taking the scenic off road routes.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Grrr *shakes fist*, these are like gold dust now, starbike.com have just told me they don't know how many they are receiving, don't think I'll see a set until January!
  • NextDayTyres.co.uk are expecting some Ice Spikers 14th Dec. I got mine there earlier this year - excellent "does what it says on the tin" service - good price too (especially given the demand). I want the Pros which Wiggle expect in mid-Dec too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hatbeard
    Just had some wurst from kurz and lang for lunch on the remote chance it helps curry my favour with the boys in berlin and increases my odds of getting what I want. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I got my Schwalbe Marathon Winters, 240 studs per tyre, 700x35mm last week from starbike
    They arrived in a week
    Couple of people I know have got the same tyre from bike24
    rosebikes.co.uk (also german) are showing these tyres in stock also
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got my Schwalbe Marathon Winters from Bike 24, 700x42, cost £73 all in, including delivery and my bank's £1.50 currency charge, still undercuts UK prices I have found. Took 5 days to arrive.

CRC have Schwalbe Snow Studs 28x1.5 in stock, £24.99 each.
  • rolf_f
    In case you are interested - All Terrain are currently listing Marathon Winters in 700, 26, 24 and 20 as in stock. About £37 for the 700 and 26. Who knows, they might actually have them! :D

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/123374.html
  • itboffin
    Fitted my P7 torch to the MTB rode it down the small drive and slip!!! rear wheel went, of course the studs gripped almost immediately but hell that felling is horrible, esp having had a couple of off's earlier in the year.

:?
  • hatbeard
    Rolf F wrote:
    In case you are interested - All Terrain are currently listing Marathon Winters in 700, 26, 24 and 20 as in stock. About £37 for the 700 and 26. Who knows, they might actually have them! :D

*yoink*

would appear I just got the last set (even though they're still on the site) and they've just been dispatched :D

puts my mind at ease with regards to the set coming from germany as they're not being particularly responsive with the order.
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    hatbeard wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

*yoink*

would appear I just got the last set (even though they're still on the site) and they've just been dispatched :D

puts my mind at ease with regards to the set coming from germany as they're not being particularly responsive with the order.

Did you mention the war? you did didn't you ...?
  • hatbeard
    itboffin wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

*yoink*

Did you mention the war? you did didn't you ...?

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it...

/obligatory response
    Hat + Beard
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    itboffin wrote:
    Fitted my P7 torch to the MTB rode it down the small drive and slip!!! rear wheel went, of course the studs gripped almost immediately but hell that felling is horrible, esp having had a couple of off's earlier in the year.

:?

What pressure are you running them at, out of curiosity?
  • itboffin
    60 psi i'll most likely drop them to 50 when I need to actually ride somewhere.