so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    This time last year I was on a hybrid and cycled all through winter (except when roads were actual sheets of ice), now I am all road bike'd up :lol: but am sans any studded tyres or the like.

Out of interest, does anyone make it through the winter on 23mm slicks or does everyone switch to CX/MTB or *shudder* PT options when we get the frosty icyness?

23mm slicks all year here... but then "here" is London and the commute is on the, reasonably busy, A200 all the way so there was never a day when I had to ride on real ice, just nasty black slush.

If I had proper ice to contend with it would have to be studs I think, or I just might give it a miss.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I switch to studded when there is ice about - had some nasty off's on ice before, and really need not fall off at the moment as I'm on the waiting list for a shoulder operation following getting knocked off (by a car) two years ago.

23mm Conti 4 Seasons all year round other than ice/snow
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Anyone have any experience of Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite tires? The Langster has them, they're 23/25s and leave just enough clearance for Crud Roadracer mudguards (and I mean just, with a millimetre or two clearance).
    Should I be thinking of changing as the weather gets a bit crap - the Langster front fork is not exactly accommodating.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    No chance of me cycling in today. Need to buy some waterproof stuff or hope work installs a shower here some time soon. Or both.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm ill today, but I would have cycled in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Took the Gary home last night on its road tyres and after looking at the local streets this morning, swapped the wheels over to MTB ones. That was a bugger as the brakes had worn/needed re-setting and one of the valves wouldn't stay screwed in :roll:

However, once out on the road, apart from no brakes, there was no problem at all. BUT with slightly underinflated mtb tyres and a sleety headwind, that was one of my hardest commutes for my legs! I also think I had too many clothes on.

Overtook everything :D
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    Anyone got any tips for CX tyres? Obviously it's for road use to get me through the winter before switching back to the 23mm's. It's a converted MTB so clearance is not an issue.
    700c or 26in rims?

700c: I'm happy in light show on Bontrager CXRs. They are lightweight so you don't pay too much of a speed penalty on the clear tarmac sections but you still get some grip on snow & mud.

Tend to switch 26in wheeled MTB with wider MTB tyres once things get seriously snowy.

26in: Good results on Panaracer Trailrakers in heavier snow. Just started using Schwalbe Snow Studs this week. So far so good although I've not tested the ice grip too much yet.

Mike
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    I would have cycled in, but I've got to go to Germany this afternoon, so no commuting till next week :(
    Hope it's still snowing then!

MM
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    mudcovered wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Anyone got any tips for CX tyres? Obviously it's for road use to get me through the winter before switching back to the 23mm's. It's a converted MTB so clearance is not an issue.
    700c or 26in rims?

700c: I'm happy in light show on Bontrager CXRs. They are lightweight so you don't pay too much of a speed penalty on the clear tarmac sections but you still get some grip on snow & mud.

Tend to switch 26in wheeled MTB with wider MTB tyres once things get seriously snowy.

26in: Good results on Panaracer Trailrakers in heavier snow. Just started using Schwalbe Snow Studs this week. So far so good although I've not tested the ice grip too much yet.

Mike

Sorry 700C's, I'll take a look at the Bonti's - many thanks.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Well.....

That was no fun.

So looked out of the window this morning and thought - hmmmmm

Bit of light snow never hurt anyone. Running a bit late anyway and I'd got my kit on....

On the bike. Snow a bit heavier - started to ride.... Thought Hmmmm need a peaked cap and glasses... had neither..... kept going not too bad....

Through town - really suffering from 20 mph snow into eyes - argh......

Snowing properly now....

Post Tower Hill onto CS 3 - really snowing, the path hadn't been gritted so was proper snowy and slushy - taking it very easy - getting cold now....

Unclipping and found that my pedal / cleat had frozen and wouldn't re-clip - bad on a fixed bike......

Struggled into work, 30 mins late......

Ah well.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    No cap or glasses? Good God man. I had both and pootled in very happily. Some water worked its way onto my boots, but other than that no problems at all.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Feet got a little damp, but the mudguards for the Bryant have finally been delviered today. Just they hope they fit over the winter tyres.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Yeah, Greg, you're mad. I suggest obtaining cap and glasses for the ride home!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    As much as it pains me, I chickened out too, but I can work from home, and I'm being very productive! :)

As far as I know the trains were working, but now there's delays, and I imagine it will get worse as the day goes on, so I think I made the right choice :oops:
  • nich wrote:
    As much as it pains me, I chickened out too, but I can work from home, and I'm being very productive! :)

As far as I know the trains were working, but now there's delays, and I imagine it will get worse as the day goes on, so I think I made the right choice :oops:

My cycle to the station was mostly fine, but then there were no trains for an hour. I should have cycled the whole way...
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • was all ready to get the mtb out (as I only have 23s for the FG) but was no snow to speak of at home, and as expected, the roads in london were nicely clear. if a little damp.

did not much enjoy the 20+mph snow in the face though.
    (although, many times more pleasant than the tube!)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Had to wimp out today as still got nasty cough/cold thing hanging around but it was a bit blizzard'y and the roads were quite white most of the way in so cycling would be q bit risky. As it turned out the drive only took maybe 20 mins extra over normal, slow but steady all the way.
    I've prep'd the (new Trek 2nd District) commute bike for riding so might brave it tomorrow
    but with std road 25mm tyres it could be a bit sketchy, I've wondered about sorting my wife's Marin mtb for conditions like this, it has light treaded tyres on but no guards so not sure what would be best.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    I chickened out this morning - was feeling especially sleepy and the prospect of 20mph easterlies and sleet in my face didn't fill me with any joy at all!

Sat snuggled up with the Times on the tube.

I fear I may well be about to hibernate..

hibernation-dormouse.jpg
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Looks like my commute this winter may be short lived.

Got an email back from wiggle regarding the Marathon Winters they were expecting late nov
    stating

"We are looking at weeks and the supplier has advised that they do not think they will have delivery until next year."

Just muddled an order through on a german retailers website (in german using google translate) that showed them as being in stock so fingers crossed I'll get some soon. ended up costing an extra £7.
    Hat + Beard
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    hatbeard wrote:
    Looks like my commute this winter may be short lived.

Got an email back from wiggle regarding the Marathon Winters they were expecting late nov
    stating

"We are looking at weeks and the supplier has advised that they do not think they will have delivery until next year."

Just muddled an order through on a german retailers website (in german using google translate) that showed them as being in stock so fingers crossed I'll get some soon. ended up costing an extra £7.

Hairy ba...... was it these ones? Placed my order a few hours ago, they still say 2-7 Days, might have to go the import route...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... -mtb-tyre/
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    it was the 35x700c road version but they're also showing the same stock estimate so I'm guessing they'll be in the same order from the supplier.

drop them an email at sales@wiggle.co.uk and they'll confirm whether or not that's the case for you.
    Hat + Beard
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    What's all the fuss about? Pretty normal commute apart from opting to walk the 20 metres from my front door, down the ungritted ramp to the road.

about 5kms in I really started to appreciate the recent freezing cold dry days, as I wasn't enjoying the freezing wet conditions that were turning my legs into popsicles

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    So glad I got studded tyres while they were in stock :-)

I was looking for ice this morning just to test out the Schwalbe Ice Spiker.

Not found any proper big sheet of ice yet but so far they feel very stable and confident.

I am infact opting for the icy/snowy cycle tracks instead of the gritted roads just so I can get the most exercise out of my commute!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got 42x700c Marathon Winters from Bike 24 in Germany; £73 the pair, delivered. They shipped the day after I ordered via DHL. I expect them tomorrow (about 5 working days).
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Just took a stroll up to an opticians and splashed out £2.50 on some anti fog spray, fingers crossed I'll be able to see my way home tonight.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • If wind stays same direction gonna be a tasty tailwind home...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Now what did you go and say a damn' fool thing like that for?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I have been for a week now, got some 2.1 Explorers on yesterday. No need for studs really, your's either in packed snow or wet tarmac.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Now what did you go and say a damn' fool thing like that for?

Hee hee :D For comedy reasons.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I came on on 23mm armadildo's. I'm on these all year round though >_<
    I didnt come across another roadbike this morning thinking about it. Am sure their were others though!

Is it really that bad for cx tracks? Fair enough if you are north of Watford. The little slide and play must make things that little bit more fun!