so who's commuting in the snow?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lastly, the new bike, while very pretty, is not very stoppy. At all. :?

The Koolstop Salmons I got a while ago made a difference on the Langster. I'd noticed before in rain then I'd apply the brakes, wait a moment, then steer around the obstacle. My Jedi reflexes did improve though in figuring when cars were due to be braking.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Of course I did ride.

Wife needed to be in work early, so I drove the kids to school for breakfast club, drove home, got changed and jumped on the MTB (it has Schwalbe Snow Studs on).

Snow of 2-3 inches, then started blizzarding. Picked the pavement and local supermarket car park to clear the first mile of dirty/slushy road, then jumped on the snowy side roads, then took part of the Trans Pennine to Work. Flying along at 17-20 mph on ice and snow is a bit weird......

Only dodgy bit was on a 'cycle path' - it's got a stupid curb between peds and bikes, and guess who forgot it was there (only used it a couple of times)...... back wheel went sideways, but that was it.

Only slightly slower than normal, mainly because I was staying off the filthy main roads, and sticking to snowy back roads and tracks.

Warm as toast !

My only problem is the bike is dripping black water (melting snow mixing with brake dust) all over the office carpet............ :?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    dhope wrote:
    I didn't but in hindsight should have done, the roads were far better than they looked from my window at 6.15. Instead, I decided I could go to the gym after work instead, went back to bed for an hour and got the train.

wuss :p

The roads were fine today, seemed like everyone had their sensible hats on and it was probably the most hassle free journey I've had so far.
    Hat + Beard
  • dhope wrote:
    Lastly, the new bike, while very pretty, is not very stoppy. At all. :?

The Koolstop Salmons I got a while ago made a difference on the Langster. I'd noticed before in rain then I'd apply the brakes, wait a moment, then steer around the obstacle. My Jedi reflexes did improve though in figuring when cars were due to be braking.

It transpires my rims are chromed steel, which is probably the bigger part of the problem, but thanks for the advice anyway! :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Also, the snow seemed to be getting in my eyes a lot, and was really rather stingy, especially when it turned into sleety stuff. Yowch.

This, my eyes!

Felt like any other damp ride in London but with partial blindness every now and then..
  • Snow forecast for today.
  • I forgot to use the bike with mudguards, so my only problem was wet feet and a cold bottom.

But on the bright side, 2 copies of City AM are performing their only useful function stuffed inside of my 'waterproof' boots.
  • always cycle in the snow...now freezing rain is another thing!

fell off rather lamely this morning too, it's my bikes way of telling me to ditch the summer treads and get some winter tyres!
  • iPete wrote:

Also, the snow seemed to be getting in my eyes a lot, and was really rather stingy, especially when it turned into sleety stuff. Yowch.

This, my eyes!

Felt like any other damp ride in London but with partial blindness every now and then..

I'm really glad it wasn't just me!

Everyone else seemed to be suffering a lot less than I was, damn it. I have dug out my cycling specs from under my desk for the ride home - now - blue lenses or red? I reckon blue, although orange would probably be the best in this (lack of) light.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Oh, you ain't stopping anytime soon with chromed rims.................... :shock:
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Got the ski goggle down from the loft and made it in. Peds around London Bridge all in extra suicidal mode with hoods and umbrellas everywhere.

Brakes a sad parody of their normal selves.

Probably asking for trouble in general really but I just hate taking the train.... :)
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Yep I rode in on the FG with 23mm slicks.

First 10 mins was pretty hairy from Charlton village to the top of Greenwich Park. Choice was either to join the queue of traffic to be able to ride in the tyre tracks or to filter and ride virgin snow. Cycle path across the park was buttock clenching and a rear brake would have been nice with hindsight.
    Once down the hill into Greenwich and it was a whole new weather system, the roads were cold and wet but no snow so pretty much back up to normal speeds and had a nice race with an MTB along Jamaica Rd.
    Visibility was poor with either fogged up glasses or sleet in the eyes.

All in all good fun but I might have a little look at some CX tyres today.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • The snowy bridleway on my route still looked beautiful this morning, but the snow had thinned a bit and the ice underneath was exposed a little, meaning I had to take it quite slowly down there.

Otherwise, the roads were well used and well gritted and were just wet. My black trousers now have a white bottom from all the salt.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • fossyant wrote:
    Oh, you ain't stopping anytime soon with chromed rims.................... :shock:

Zachary.
  • I do really really wish I'd gone and broken out the Oakleys before hopping onto the bike this morning. I'm glad it wasn't just me who couldn't see where they were going.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Butterd2 wrote:

Yep - not sure relying on memory and the rear light on the guy in front was the best way to navigate my way from Clapham to Trafalgar Square but it was better than having sleet in my eyes!

I thought Oakleys were supposed to be better at anti-fogging?!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • I had the choice of cold face and being able to see or warm face behind the buff and blinded by condensation from my breath on the glasses.

I have however found I have everything to allow me to work from home, and it looks very tempting to cycle back right now.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Butterd2
    lastant wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Yep - not sure relying on memory and the rear light on the guy in front was the best way to navigate my way from Clapham to Trafalgar Square but it was better than having sleet in my eyes!

I've got those cheap Wiggle multi lens things and couldn't maintain sufficient speed to keep them clear. Might try some anti fog spray but that was generally useless when I rode motorbikes.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    oh, and hydraulic disc brakes are an absolute godsend.
  • Chickened out. Wish I hadn't as the roads look ok.

Took ages by bus. First time I've used one to get to work so disappointed that I let myself down :(
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Butterd2 wrote:
    lastant wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

I've got those cheap Wiggle multi lens things and couldn't maintain sufficient speed to keep them clear. Might try some anti fog spray but that was generally useless when I rode motorbikes.

The two layered lenses in my ski goggles did not fog up at all on the ride in... I looked like a prat of course and the security guy at our building did not even try to contain his amusement but at least I could mostly see. :)
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Irvinet wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    lastant wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

The two layered lenses in my ski goggles did not fog up at all on the ride in... I looked like a prat of course and the security guy at our building did not even try to contain his amusement but at least I could mostly see. :)

now there's a thought... I have a double glazed lenses on my paintball mask.... :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Totally wussed out. Had the shoes on the radiator warming up, but the missus left before me, and ordered me not to as she left the house, as it was too slippy. Probably right about the side streets, but the main roads looked fine.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Ski goggles sound like a good idea...
  • Still here and riding. Fitted the Snow Stud tyres to my old Marin rigid MTB at the weekend. All I can say is I hope I never get a puncture in one as they were a pig to get on the rim. Mind you they handled the light amount of snow on my ride to work this morning nicely.

The real test comes on some of the frozen snow that I wussed out of riding over this morning right outside my house. :) I was sliding all over the place on my CX bike there on Friday night and conditions haven't improved much since.

Mike
  • This time last year I was on a hybrid and cycled all through winter (except when roads were actual sheets of ice), now I am all road bike'd up :lol: but am sans any studded tyres or the like.

Out of interest, does anyone make it through the winter on 23mm slicks or does everyone switch to CX/MTB or *shudder* PT options when we get the frosty icyness?
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • That was cold and wet this morning and I disliked having to be more careful but overall good. Nasty headwind too. Clear shades/glasses make such a difference to not having stinging eyes.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Had my ski goggles looked out on Sunday....
    Wasn't snowing when I set off so didn't wear them - MISTAKE!
    Down Maryhill Road into driving blizzard was not a pleasant experience.

Mistake no 2 was not wearing the merino liners under my Sealskinz gloves.... hands were a tad cold in the -5C, probably becuase it was a slower commute than usual.

Glad I did it though.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Butterd2
    Ski goggles sound like a good idea...

+1 - up to the loft this evening methinks....
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    Anyone got any tips for CX tyres? Obviously it's for road use to get me through the winter before switching back to the 23mm's. It's a converted MTB so clearance is not an issue.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols