Irritating driving habits

124»

Comments

• Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Dudu wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.

And what about the water that you've just poured onto the road and pavement?

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.

Not to mention the passing cyclist who crashed in the ice and broke his collarbone.

Personally, i think it should be a criminal offence to casue water to run onto the road in this weather.
    Obviously they need to learn how to fall without panic and major injury. It's not that hard and we have perfect weather to practice in.

Have you ever crashed on black ice while cycling? It happens instantly.

Your comment could be understood to mean "It's OK to cause cyclists to crash because they ought to know how to fall", as though crashing was a routine part of cycling.

"Obviously they need to learn"

They? Are you a cyclist ever? Or do you just drive?
    NGale wrote:
    The van was eventually towed on the grounds of the fact that at 4pm I was on call (still am) as a responder for the BRC Fire and Emergency response service and would need to get my car out. Also the neighbours complained to the police about the van drivers behaviour towards Jake

Yep all legally recgonised as a driveway with dropped curb (also the two cars and old landrover parked in the drive way are something of a giveaway)

Jake was surprisingly calm and collected thoughout the whole thing, it does actually take a lot to really make him kick off.

In response to the above you may be horrified to read this

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/parking- ... t-law.html

To make things worse I am fairly sure if someone parks full square IN your drive, there is nowt you can do. Touch the car and you can be prosecuted. But I only read that on the t'internet so may be complete bollocks.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dudu wrote:
    Dudu wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.

And what about the water that you've just poured onto the road and pavement?

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.

Not to mention the passing cyclist who crashed in the ice and broke his collarbone.

Personally, i think it should be a criminal offence to casue water to run onto the road in this weather.
    Obviously they need to learn how to fall without panic and major injury. It's not that hard and we have perfect weather to practice in.

Have you ever crashed on black ice while cycling? It happens instantly.

Your comment could be understood to mean "It's OK to cause cyclists to crash because they ought to know how to fall", as though crashing was a routine part of cycling.

"Obviously they need to learn"

They? Are you a cyclist ever? Or do you just drive?

Comedy classics! The witch burners are out in force! I love the presumption that just because CiB is melting water off his car that it is necessarily causing lakes of black ice. No-one even knows if he is doing this on a private drive or not. Maybe he has OCD and is dumping piles of salt onto the road after. As it happens, I use the warm water approach on my own, rather steep drive. It has never resulted in black ice on the ground - believe me, given the steepness of the drive, I'd know if it did.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    DDD: no you don't need details, you lie :lol:

Simple fact was he parked across our driveway with the excuse that it was the only place to park in the lane and he needed easy access to his van for tools as he was working in the house across the road.

And he was just a general arsehole towards everyone. The driver that is :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Drivers who turn their lights on, thinking they'll be seen, but overlook one, minor detail: wiping the snow off their headlights before setting off.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."