Irritating driving habits

Comments

• CiB wrote:
    People who can't do roundabouts - the ones that cut across the inside lane when starting from the left but going straight over

If there is traffic around, agree.

If there's no traffic around, well, that's the line that impedes progress the least...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I find any car with the engine on irritating.

I find them irritating with the engine off as well. Some people just can't park.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • d87heaven wrote:
    I find any car with the engine on irritating.

I find them irritating with the engine off as well. Some people just can't park.

yep, round here at least parked cars are more annoying than moving ones, because they tend to get in the way, blocking the road.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I agree with CiB on this one - why not use all the road space available when merging - not doing so just makes the queue longer? If everyone just did it there wouldn't be an issue.

I bet you're one of those who sits across 2 lanes to stop the mean naughty people coming past. Those people p!ss me off.

Actually, I'm not. But a little piece of me cheers when I see someone who does that.

I find I can usually persuade them to get out of my way... :twisted:
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I agree with CiB on this one - why not use all the road space available when merging - not doing so just makes the queue longer? If everyone just did it there wouldn't be an issue.

I bet you're one of those who sits across 2 lanes to stop the mean naughty people coming past. Those people p!ss me off.

Actually, I'm not. But a little piece of me cheers when I see someone who does that.

I find I can usually persuade them to get out of my way... :twisted:

Yes, well, flashing (of anything) is rarely acceptable :twisted: :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Greg66 wrote:

Or the drivers that bomb down the empty bus lane to get to the front of a queue only to find roadworks blocking the lane, and that no-one will let them back in. Warms the cockles of my heart.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    That space I leave between me and the car in front is there deliberately so that if he brakes I have time to stop safely and not plough into the back of him.

It is not there for you to overtake me and then swerve into before inevitably braking so you don't plough into the car in front.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    So no one finds driving while on the phone annoying?

:shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    snooks wrote:
    So no one finds driving while on the phone annoying?

:shock:

I do, see page 1.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Butterd2 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Lorries overtaking each other on a dual carriageway because one is doing 0.1mph more than the other :evil:

+1

I used to hate the A66 for that.

And people driving at a constant 38mph whatever the speed limit or the road conditions (provided you can't overtake).
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    People that bimble along at 35 -40mph on 60mph roads only occasionally speeding up on straight, clear stretches where I would otherwise have been able to overtake. These same people invariably maintain this speed through 30mph villages, past schools etc
    Personally I tailgate them, laughing while talking on my mobile and driving 1 handed. :twisted: :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Driving next to you with their wheels in the slushy bit between the tyre ruts and spraying you with chunks of compacted snow.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I for one am reticent to pass up any offer of being let into the queue, and trust to the the generosity of the BMW drivers further along.

That is simply impossible.

All the BMW drivers are in the outside lane surely? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    daviesee wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I for one am reticent to pass up any offer of being let into the queue, and trust to the the generosity of the BMW drivers further along.

That is simply impossible.

All the BMW drivers are in the outside lane surely? :wink:
    Outside lane, isn't it just the BMW lane?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Driving on the wrong side of the road to jump the queue or pass a long line of parked vehicles because, hey, the oncoming traffic is only a cyclist and he doesn't matter, does he?

Overtaking and then realising the available bit of road's too narrow for a car (but quite wide enough for a bicycle, of course).
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.
  • CiB wrote:
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.

And what about the water that you've just poured onto the road and pavement?

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.
  • CiB wrote:

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.

Its become a major hazard on one road I commute on. Couldn't work out why there were pools of water/ice all over the road and then realised it was people using water to defrost their car windows.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to use a scraper to clear your windows properly.
  • CiB

Oh piss off. Some of us have a drive that we do this sort of thing on.

Edit. I see the autocorrect s/w has replaced my word with wee-wee.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    CiB wrote:

You should keep doing this.

One day, when it's cold enough, you'll realise why people scrape.
  • CiB wrote:

Oh wee-wee off. Some of us have a drive that we do this sort of thing on.

One of my neighbours once washed his car just before a freeze up. On his way back from work, his car slid on his frozen ice-rink of a driveway and he bashed in his garage door.
  • CiB
    Its become a major hazard on one road I commute on. Couldn't work out why there were pools of water/ice all over the road and then realised it was people using water to defrost their car windows.

And this. Rolls eyes...

The water runs off into the gutter, if you do this on the road and not on the drive. So there's a bit more ice on the icy road, in the gutter, which is a better than the epic failures of drivers who've had a bit of a go at clearing the windscreen but not really managed it amd then drive around with the inside misted up, and no visibility out of the sides. It may not take long to do it properly, but it takes too long for most of the ones I see on the way in. I'll stick with the minimal risk of adding a bit more ice to the icy gutter in return for full visibility thanks.

Kuh eh? Kuh
  • CiB wrote:

Oh wee-wee off. Some of us have a drive that we do this sort of thing on.

Just as long as the old dear with a broken hip is you then you have my ringing endorsement.
  • CiB wrote:

And this. Rolls eyes...

The water runs off into the gutter, if you do this on the road and not on the drive. So there's a bit more ice on the icy road, in the gutter, which is a better than the epic failures of drivers who've had a bit of a go at clearing the windscreen but not really managed it amd then drive around with the inside misted up, and no visibility out of the sides. It may not take long to do it properly, but it takes too long for most of the ones I see on the way in. I'll stick with the minimal risk of adding a bit more ice to the icy gutter in return for full visibility thanks.

Kuh eh? Kuh

I can assure you, it does not run into the gutter. It freezes either in a pool under the window it was poured under or does try to run off to the gutter leaving a line of ice instead that usually hasn't made the gutter.

Either way, its a hazard I could do without!
  • rjsterry
    And if you are unlucky and the glass is really cold, the thermal shock will crack the glass. One of our clients shattered their patio door by accidentally leaving a fan heater pointing at it on a frosty night.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• CiB
    Just as long as the old dear with a broken hip is you then you have my ringing endorsement.
    We don't get many old dears up the end of the drive first thing in the morning, or any other time are thanks. Obviously if they can successfully navigate their way to our end of the village through the ice & snow before coming a cropper on our gravel with ice in it drive, I'll drive them all to hospital myself, with full visibility out of all the windows.

As my way isn't widely supported, let's have another go.

Drivers. Before you set off in the morning, make a proper effort to clear the ice & snow from your windows, mirrors and lights - front and rear. Spend more than 10 seconds making a cursory attempt at it; it won't hurt you and you'll reduce the chances of knocking over the old lady who's making a determined effort to walk up my drive in the ice. Thanks for doing that. You know it makes sense.

Gordon Chuffing Bennet.
  • rjsterry
    CiB wrote:
    We don't get many old dears up the end of the drive first thing in the morning, or any other time are thanks. Obviously if they can successfully navigate their way to our end of the village through the ice & snow before coming a cropper on our gravel with ice in it drive, I'll drive them all to hospital myself, with full visibility out of all the windows.

As my way isn't widely supported, let's have another go.

Drivers. Before you set off in the morning, make a proper effort to clear the ice & snow from your windows, mirrors and lights - front and rear. Spend more than 10 seconds making a cursory attempt at it; it won't hurt you and you'll reduce the chances of knocking over the old lady who's making a determined effort to walk up my drive in the ice. Thanks for doing that. You know it makes sense.

Gordon Chuffing Bennet.

[londoncentricviewofworld] Driveway? What is this driveway of which you speak? [/londoncentricviewofworld]

But a big +1 to your basic point. Bladdy porthole drivers! Why don't they go the whole hog and view the road through a pair of toilet roll tubes?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gupta-patel
    gupta-patel Posts: 81
    edited November 2010
    :lol:
  • I think those advocating the zipping method of merging traffic are looking at a perfect world through rose tinted glasses. While I and many others will take notice of the signs 800 yards in advance of a lane closure to get into the through lane, those that bomb down the outside and attempt to push in at the front are not people who wish to make use of most of the road, but are rather ignorant arrogant selfish tw@ts who think they are far too important to queue like everyone else.

I too applaud when a HGV blocks the outside lane preventing this happening.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite