Irritating driving habits

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    And since when has filling as much road as possible been the objective anyway? If we all tuck in nice and tight, we might be able to squeeze a few more in, but then we'd find it impossible to move forward without shunting into the back of the car in front. People driving too close - sorry, making full use of the available space - is well known to cause bunching on the motorway, which in turn leads to those traffic jams that seem to have no cause.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    And since when has filling as much road as possible been the objective anyway? If we all tuck in nice and tight, we might be able to squeeze a few more in, but then we'd find it impossible to move forward without shunting into the back of the car in front. People driving too close - sorry, making full use of the available space - is well known to cause bunching on the motorway, which in turn leads to those traffic jams that seem to have no cause.

Zipping works in the Netherlands - that's why it's the law there...
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    rjsterry wrote:

to add, drove for 3 1/2 years 60 miles each way to work on the 401 (reputedly the worlds busiest road but Canadians are known for their hyperbole). Driving too close is the main issue on motorways (my opinion). Driving to close means a tap of brakes on the car in front requires a bigger tap by you and a bigger tap by the guy too close behind, this rapidly cascades into traffic stopped for nothing.

I worked with a woman who got 20,000 miles from her brake pads (similar commute), I replaced mine at over 70,000. if you don't press them they don't wear, leave space, lift off throttle.
    FCN 12
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    :?

So now trying to improve merging equates to condoning tailgating? Derrr - no.

And not using available road space sensibly means that we get what happened to me this morning, and every other time we have snow. As there are plenty - really; lots - of drivers who think that snow on the roadside means that the road itself is an ice-rink despite all evidence to the contrary, that it's somehow wise on the approach to a roundabout to leave not just a slightly bigger gap to the car in front, but to extend that gap to about 50 yards. I kid ye not. And then when that car ahead moves, it's necessary to wait a few extra seconds before creeping off, just in case. Multiply that gap & delayed reaction times by the few hundred cars in front and tailing back & out of sight behind me and that's the reason why it took half an hour longer to drive in today - not because the roads are dangerous, they're just wet, but because everyone suddenly becomes a complete imbecile with no comprehension of how car behaves at walking pace.

And before you jump down my throat, I don't want to do even close to the speed limit when it's like this. But adding 50 yards to every third car in a traffic jam and then inching forward like a learner driver just because it's a bit wet on the MAIN ROAD - not some ice-packed snowy side road - adds an exhorbitant amount of time to what should be a simple journey. Why is this country so full of drivers who can't even do the basics?
  • Perhaps everyone should be issued with the devices lorry drivers were using on the a14 today. That way you can do the same speed as you always do with only an inch between lorries in driving snow whilst all the cars are doing about 30. Twunts.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • rjsterry
    Err, coz it doesn't snow much in this country. Until last year, a large number of drivers had never driven in snow. It's not really something you can mock up for the driving test either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    CiB wrote:
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.

And what about the water that you've just poured onto the road and pavement?

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.

Not to mention the passing cyclist who crashed in the ice and broke his collarbone.

Personally, i think it should be a criminal offence to casue water to run onto the road in this weather.
    CiB wrote:

Your selfish actions might not concern you but the poor old dear who's just slipped and broken her hip on your freshly layed sheet ice might have a somewhat different take on it.

Oh wee-wee off. Some of us have a drive that we do this sort of thing on.

Edit. I see the autocorrect s/w has replaced my word with wee-wee.

What, you can stop water running downhill?
    rjs - I realise that you just want to counter anything I say today, but I'm not on about driving in snow. I'm on about people who see snow but are on wet roads, the sort that of wet roads that we have quite often in this country. People who instantly lose all ability to drive when faced with something slightly off from the norm.

Maybe these people imagine that the wet surface renders all grip instantly null & void in a1.0 Corsa, and that accelerating at any rate beyond 'completely timid' will see them divert into the nearest ditch at full speed, or that the merest dab on the brakes will see them perform a graceful 40 yard slide into the boot of the car in front.

No. What we have is a nation of idiots who never find time to learn, who never progressed beyond passing the test, who've never since looked at he Highway Code, or actively tried to improve their driving by actually thinking about it, and who when faced with what should be the minor inconsequence of a bit of snow at the side of a wet road, collectively manage to turn it into a massive road block, and for no real reason other than the fact they're next to useless.
  • CiB
    Dudu wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Yes. I can actually, although when it does run downhill it ends up on the next field. Oh sorry - I'm not from London.

Next.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited November 2010
    I like CIB's warm water idea.

If its cold enough for the car windows to be frosty the chances are there is already water, ice, frost or snow on the ground.

Secondly, where my car is parked i.e. on a road with a lot of other parked cars you are hardly going to ride/walk against or near the curb on a side road in that weather. So while there is a degree of risk involved with pouring water to de-mist the windows its moot when you consider the risks bought on by the weather conditions that has made you de-mist the car windows in the first place.

Zipping in London doesn't work because people have no patience and are fecking rude. I'm in a queue waiting to fliter, two cars steam up on my right, granted the car ahead is now infront so I let him go the guy behind and behind mine, tries to squeeze his car infront. Words are normally had in those situations.

People who overtake only to get one car ahead. That's a personal hatred of mine.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    Sorry, I'm coming across as unnecessarily contrary. I was just meaning that I think people over-compensate for the snow because it's something they aren't used to. I would agree that overcautious driving is very irritating, particulalry when one is in a hurry.

+1 on the laziness and lack of thought points too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cars pulling out over half the road and stopping when waiting to turn right :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • CiB wrote:
    rjs - I realise that you just want to counter anything I say today, but I'm not on about driving in snow. I'm on about people who see snow but are on wet roads, the sort that of wet roads that we have quite often in this country. People who instantly lose all ability to drive when faced with something slightly off from the norm.

Maybe these people imagine that the wet surface renders all grip instantly null & void in a1.0 Corsa, and that accelerating at any rate beyond 'completely timid' will see them divert into the nearest ditch at full speed, or that the merest dab on the brakes will see them perform a graceful 40 yard slide into the boot of the car in front.

No. What we have is a nation of idiots who never find time to learn, who never progressed beyond passing the test, who've never since looked at he Highway Code, or actively tried to improve their driving by actually thinking about it, and who when faced with what should be the minor inconsequence of a bit of snow at the side of a wet road, collectively manage to turn it into a massive road block, and for no real reason other than the fact they're next to useless.

Yep. A woman near our work just drove straight into the metal gate entrance where there was alot of compacted snow. She just drove at the speed you would on bone dry tarmac and turned in.... unbeleivable.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    CiB wrote:
    What we have is a nation of idiots who never find time to learn, who never progressed beyond passing the test, who've never since looked at he Highway Code, or actively tried to improve their driving by actually thinking about it, and who when faced with what should be the minor inconsequence of a bit of snow at the side of a wet road, collectively manage to turn it into a massive road block, and for no real reason other than the fact they're next to useless.

More truth in that paragraph than in an entire normal week in this forum.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • CiB
    I'm wondering, does "B" in CiB stand for bozo or bumpkin?
    Bicester actually.

Neat that, offering a half-hearted apology a while ago and then being unable to stop yourself from apparently confirming that thread about you recently.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    CiB wrote:
    Dudu wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Yes. I can actually, although when it does run downhill it ends up on the next field. Oh sorry - I'm not from London.

Next.

That's funny, last time I was 'round your way I distinctly saw some tarmac and kerbs.

You're taking a motorist's point of view. My point of view is that cycling in temperatures around 0C is dodgy enough without idiots spilling water onto the roads, creating patches of black ice.

How about covering your windscreen when you park if it's going to be frosty?
    Dudu wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Scrapers. People who scrape away at the ice on the windscreen first thing in the morning, squirting deicer at it and clearing just enough of the ice to be able to see out the front, but not really enough and then not doing the sides, mirrors & rear windows.

Get a kettle, fill it with water that's only just past warm (plunge your fist in to check that it's ok) then work your way round the car washing the ice away. Result - all windows clear & see-through, there's a bit of warmth in the glass so when you sit in and exhale it doesn't mist up inside, and it takes a fraction of the time to do a much better job. Scraping is so nineteenth century. Use a kettle full of warm water and do it properly. It helps so much when you can see out of all the windows.

Not to mention the passing cyclist who crashed in the ice and broke his collarbone.

Personally, i think it should be a criminal offence to casue water to run onto the road in this weather.
    Obviously they need to learn how to fall without panic and major injury. It's not that hard and we have perfect weather to practice in.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    CiB wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Pushing in. Two lanes merge into one, but someone decides that once the car in front of them has merged, they'll charge up the outside and barge in further up the line of traffic.

Get v angry over this. Raging, you could call it.
    I wish more people would do this, so that more of the available road space can be used and drivers merge in turn. Like a zip, only bigger.

+1 I've seen a traffic island completely blocked because drivers were not using both lanes. You some times see a signs saying use both lanes and merge in turn. Makes much more sense.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    The b*****d who has parked his van across our driveway since 6am meaning I haven't been able to get my car out to get to college.

Jake is currently having an arguement with him outside as he too has not been able to get to work.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    When I'm on my bike the two things that annoy me are

1) Cars that overtake and then turn left immediately. A couple of times I've had to brake hard to avoid their rear end

2) Cars that overtake me in a 20mph zone near a school. When I am actually doing 20mph
  • DonDaddyD
    NGale wrote:
    The b*****d who has parked his van across our driveway since 6am meaning I haven't been able to get my car out to get to college.

Jake is currently having an arguement with him outside as he too has not been able to get to work.

Did you not beep your horn?

Key the car?

Knock on all the other houses up to and including 5 doors away?

Scream, shout and swear while standing outside as to draw attention to yourself?

Keep us posted I want a full breakdown of how and when Jake goes SAS on his ass....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Anyone mentioned the morons who kill the flow of traffic by blocking box junctions.

How about drivers who believe themselves to be great drivers, so gifted in fact that they can see run corners and overhills when overtaking. Not that I like to stereotype, but Audi drivers seem especially gifted in this area.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Not that I like to stereotype, but Audi drivers seem especially gifted in this area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5UUajoGpw
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    NGale wrote:

Do you have the kerb lowered (i.e. is it legally a drive)?

I only ask because I was forced to park away from the house late one evening (spaces were all used). I returned to my car in my morning to face a snotty note stuck on my windscreen accusing me of blocking someone's drive. I would of course do no such thing, but a close look at the chaps house revealed he thought removing part of his brick wall and parking in his front garden constituted 'drive'. In the dark of course I had merely used the kerb as a guideline.

So, I pointed out the error of his ways, reported him to the council for mounting the kerb, and left my car there for a few more weeks.
    "Coming through..."
  • I've been caged in my car today and cannot get over the number of absolute fucknuts that seem to think snow in the pavement beside a completely clear but slightly damp road means driving at 10mph with fog lights on and randomly slamming your brakes on when a car hoves into view on the horizon on this very wide major road.

I honestly don't notice what absolute bell ends with a common sense bypass many motorists can be when on my bike.

I hate driving
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    The van was eventually towed on the grounds of the fact that at 4pm I was on call (still am) as a responder for the BRC Fire and Emergency response service and would need to get my car out. Also the neighbours complained to the police about the van drivers behaviour towards Jake

Yep all legally recgonised as a driveway with dropped curb (also the two cars and old landrover parked in the drive way are something of a giveaway)

Jake was surprisingly calm and collected thoughout the whole thing, it does actually take a lot to really make him kick off.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    Why did the guy park his van there?

Why did he refuse to move it to the point that it was towed?

What was reaction to it being towed?

What was his behaviour towards Jake like?

I need details woman!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I'm with Vorsprung on the overtaking then braking to turn left - I really, really, really hate that :evil:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I understand the whole tailgating thing, I was always taught that you should be able to count "!, 2" in a "one elephant, two elephants" kind of speed between cars, and in traffic you should be able to clearly see the back wheels of the vehicle in front (in case you're shunted from behind - then you're less likely to bump into the car in front of you).

But my number one is brain dead dribbling geriatrics on the road, paritcularly ones like the one on the A40 one time who decided to drive up the wrong way on a dual carriageway, towards me doing 70 in hte outside lane. The stupid old c**t just kept going, flashing his lights. How I missed him I'll never know.

Mandatory tests for the over 70s? Bring it on. I'd pay extra tax to make it happen. But it'll never happen 'cos too many votes will be lost. Which is a shame, 'cos if all the dodderers got off the roads then they'd need to ramp up public transport to make up for it...

It's just a hill. Get over it.