OT: iPads

13»

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Apple are definitely the marmite of the electrical products.

The chances of getting an objective answer to questions re Apple products is seemingly nil.

Those who like Apple products wont hear anything said against them.

Those who are not Apple fans wont accept Apple can have made a decent product.

There is more agreement between campag and shimano fans than Apple or not fans
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    spen666 wrote:

The chances of getting an objective answer to questions re Apple products is seemingly nil.

It seems to be more complicated than that

People like Apple products, believe them to be the best........but won't buy them because....well I'm not really too sure why.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spen666 wrote:

People like Apple products, believe them to be the best........but won't buy them because....well I'm not really too sure why.

Apple's profits would seem to suggest otherwise...
    The Cupertino-based company posted record revenue of $20.34 billion and net quarterly profit of $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $12.21 billion and net quarterly profit of $2.53 billion, or $2.77 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.

Gross margin was 36.9 percent compared to 41.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 57 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

“We’re thrilled with the performance and strength of our business, generating almost $5.7 billion in cash flow from operations during the quarter,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2011, we expect revenue of about $23 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $4.80.”
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,

If:

An iPad is a phone with a screen that's too big to fit in a pocket
    An iPed is someone suffering aural castration
    An iPod is a fancy mp3 player

and an iPud is an Apple Crumble...

What's an iPid?

Cheers,
    W.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    spen666 wrote:

Apple's profits would seem to suggest otherwise...

Clearly I meant SOME people
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    spen666 wrote:

nah, i have three macs, (one old one now running ubuntu and one that dual boots into XP) a collection of about 6 ipods of various ages and my wireless runs off an airport thingy, but i don't think everything they do is great. can't stand the iphone as it's far too clamped shut - i much prefer the open nature of android. the ipad does look lovely, but is laughably limited for no good reason. i know steve jobs is always banging on about flash being the number 1 cause of crashes on macs, but not having it on a device built around the internet seems utter nonsense. also, being limited to using their store of pre-approved stuff irks me - it's my computer thingy, let me put whatever i damn well want on it. waiting for a decent android gingerbread 10 inch tab personally
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Alphabet wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

nah, i have three macs, (one old one now running ubuntu and one that dual boots into XP) a collection of about 6 ipods of various ages and my wireless runs off an airport thingy, but i don't think everything they do is great. can't stand the iphone as it's far too clamped shut - i much prefer the open nature of android. the ipad does look lovely, but is laughably limited for no good reason. i know steve jobs is always banging on about flash being the number 1 cause of crashes on macs, but not having it on a device built around the internet seems utter nonsense. also, being limited to using their store of pre-approved stuff irks me - it's my computer thingy, let me put whatever i damn well want on it. waiting for a decent android gingerbread 10 inch tab personally

No idea what you just said. Not a clue. Something about an android gingerbread man blessed with a 10 inch tab thingy.

Can you explain this in the Morpeth later?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    no morpeth for me again today. going home for a lemsip *sniff*
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But now I can't access the ITunes store. Ballcocks.

LOL!!!

I have met someone who has so much difficulty with PC's. What PC are you using where you need to upgrade something sound/processing from 32bit to 64bit to simply work iTunes?

It's a laptop. A red one. People here call it a ThinkPad.

I am confused by this. Not unusual :wink:

No point in having a Think Pad unless you take it out of the office.
    If you take it out of the office, take it home. No? :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I work for a PC manufacturer so I in no way condone the iPad. The only god thing it's done is kick start the flagging Tablet PC segment into actually making some decent units.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Wait. I'm confused. Will my iPod connect to a PC?

I thought they only connected to Apples?

iPods have worked with Windows since the second generation in 2002.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    spen666 wrote:

Well, I'm typing this on my MacBook (the fifth Mac I've bought). Both it and my Mac Pro are excellent machines, the MacBook did have an issue with the battery not charging, sorted under warranty, but that's pretty much the only hardware problem I've had in fifteen years. Some of Apple's products do suck, frankly (Microsoft mice are much better, iTunes for Windows is sluggish...), but the majority are excellent. The lack of expansion in certain respects, or Apple making it unecessarily complicated, is a PITA (no Blu-ray playback, Apple's graphics card options limited & often overpriced....). But the build quality etc is generally excellent. Windows 7 ain't half bad, I could certainly use it without too much bother, but I just prefer the look & feel of OS X.
    And as for Shimano/Campag/SRAM, well, I run all three, they all work fine for me. So there :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I work for a PC manufacturer so I in no way condone the iPad. The only god thing it's done is kick start the flagging Tablet PC segment into actually making some decent units.

Indeed.

I think that for those who don't like Apples products - e.g those who don't like the closed nature, those who don't want to pay the price premium, or those who want to be able to do much more than just switch it on and use basic stuff with no hassle - have undoubtedly benefited from other manufacturers producing their own versions of apple type products.

Every time someone writes and disses an Apple product and says that their such and such is much better for what they want (totally valid) it is USUALLY the case that their product came out after Apples......

Personally I love 'em, but as a non "power user", who never needs to say "damn, if only I had windows/PC for this" I've always been happy to pay the premium for something which just works for what i want. And I'm not totally materialistic, but the good looks does play a little part of my decision......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    daviesee wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But now I can't access the ITunes store. Ballcocks.

LOL!!!

I have met someone who has so much difficulty with PC's. What PC are you using where you need to upgrade something sound/processing from 32bit to 64bit to simply work iTunes?

It's a laptop. A red one. People here call it a ThinkPad.

I am confused by this. Not unusual :wink:

No point in having a Think Pad unless you take it out of the office.
    If you take it out of the office, take it home. No? :?

Yep. I take it home most nights.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cjcp wrote:

No home PC, so I'm a bit stuck on that one.

The Think Pad counts IMHO. That's what confused me.

By the way, for what it is worth - for the OP purpose using the existing wife's computer iTunes as the starting point and main storage point seems the way to go.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.