OT: iPads

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm not very good with these things.

Mrs CJ has pointed out how good they are. This means that it's number 1 on the list she's just posted to Father Christmas.

Are they any good? Is there some iPad v.2.0 coming out soon which I should wait for?

This may all be irrelevant because I want brownie points for an Alps grip and another crack at the Marmotte next year.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    cjcp wrote:
    This may all be irrelevant because I want brownie points for an Alps grip and another crack at the Marmotte next year.

That's the main thing isn't it? Who cares if it's an overpriced, form over function, fashion victim's accessory? If it makes her happy and gets you points then that's all the matters.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • There will always be v n+1 of an Apple product waiting in the wings. And v n will not be reduced by a single quid before it is phased out.

I was completely sceptical about us getting one. Mrs G66 had her iPhone, and we had a laptop in the kitchen. What, I wondered, would we use an iPad for?

Well, the answer is pretty much everything that doesn't involve sitting down at a keyboard for a long period of time. Which at home, is pretty much everything. The laptop went into a cupboard within 24 hours and hasn't been seen since.

It won't do flash, which means video clips on say the BBC website don't work, but that's pretty small beer, IMO.

the questions are (a) how much storage; (b) 3G or not.

As to (a) get as much as you can afford. I put films and TV series on mine, as well as my itunes library, and a bunch of photos. I haven't filled it, but I would have filled the next size down.

As to (b), I did, but I hardly ever use it. Wi fi is fine, and I have that at work and at home. 3G is useful if you plan to take the iPad out and about with you, and want to surf. I don't do that enough to need 3G really. Plus it's not too easy to roam abroad using your English 3G card. And it's not that easy to buy 3G data only non contract sims abroad.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Greg66 wrote:
    There will always be v n+1 of an Apple product waiting in the wings. And v n will not be reduced by a single quid before it is phased out.

Too true...though there are often good deals about on previous-generation products when a new one's out (thinking of getting a 5G iPod nano ATM, cheaper than the new one & I don't like the look of that anyway). If Mrs CJ wants an iPad now, get her one, there is of course a new iPad in the works (rumours of specs etc circulating already), but it certainly won't be out before the end of the year- the iPod/iPhone lines get one big update a year, usually each summer.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • As I sit here on mine, how could I disagree...with Greg.

They are really very good. I too use mine constantly. For consuming the web they beat laptops hands down.

The battery is awesome and the screen beautiful.

I have 3G but have only used it a handful of times on a pay per use basis.

I agree they are expensive, but they are very good.

Tony
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Like others above, I'm sat on the sofa using mine and I love it. It's a beautiful thing with a great interface, and is so easy to pick up and use - the laptop hardly gets used.

However, the love has limits. No Flash, no printing and no USB is a pain and can be frustrating.

I've got the 64gb 3G version with a freebie O2 sim (pay per use or option to subscribe monthly) but I've not used it for surfing outside the house. Book readers (iBook and Kindle), video (screen is superb) and music are great when travelling though.

However, it's a bit of a trinket - I couldn't have JUST an iPad, and it's seriously overpriced. Mine was a gift from work, and I wouldn't have paid £699 for it.

I would think serious brownie points would be heading your way if Santa delivers one!!!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Bought the missus one recently and she loves it so much she hasn't touched my new MacAir - result and more importantly the brownie points mean I can probably get away with a purchase of more carbon or a few more Morpeth passes.

Didn't opt for 3G as it was an extra £100 and figured could just get a MIFI dongle if she ever wants to use it on the go.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Want a tablet but don't want an ipad. There, I said it.

Carry on
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    edited November 2010
    cjcp wrote:
    because I want brownie points for an Alps grip

A what now?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Words TWH doesn't understand

3G
    Dongle
    Tablet
    MacAir
    Flash
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    because I want brownie points for an Alps grip

A what now?
    You've got eagle-eyes there, TWH ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Words TWH doesn't understand

Running water
    Glass
    Doors
    Electricity
    Loo roll

Fixed that for yers.

Now, don't fret. The celestial being will be back in the sky soon, dragging the fireball behind his flying chariot...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    :lol:

Thanks, chaps. How do you get photos on it if it doesn't take a USB? Do you have to use a cable thingy?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    cjcp wrote:

Thanks, chaps. How do you get photos on it if it doesn't take a USB? Do you have to use a cable thingy?

Pritt Stick?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:

One of these:

ipad-camera-connector-kit.jpg
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Defo a good piece of kit.
    I recently got one through work, I have often said it looked great but doesnt replace anything i have already (ie macbook pro, ipod and blackberry, wifey has iphone and a laptop) so i could not not justify buying it myself. But actually it almost replaces all those things! Agreed it can be a bit limiting in terms of flash and printing but its no major issue as the laptop can still do that. Besides for sites like BBC you can get the app which plays video.
    Since getting it i havent touched the ipod or bought any hard copy books, its all in the ipad now and works flawlessly. I have the standard wifi one 32gb and its about half full, 3G would have been nice but I would rarely use so opted for the standard one. The kindle app is fantastic and with so many free books available it will be a while before i need to actually purchase any books!

Get one you wont regret it. Especially when you are tearing down the Alps!
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    cjcp wrote:

Can also be done through itunes, nice and easy like you would an ipod. You either use your iphoto library or point to the folder on your 'puter
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Printing from iPad/iPhone is meant to be supported in the latest iOS software release 4.2 which is meant to be out imminently.

There are some rumours that the support of printing hasn't made it into this release but if not, it still should be available fairly soon.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I really don't want to like the iPad, but I play with them at work and they are actually very cool. I still refuse to admit that I want one though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    BenS999 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Can also be done through itunes, nice and easy like you would an ipod. You either use your iphoto library or point to the folder on your 'puter

Yyyyyeeeeahhhhh, see, problem is iTunes won't download onto my laptop, or it did (because I saw the page "Thanks for downloading iTunes") and I can't find it. There's no icon. So, my iPod is currently just being used as a radio most of the time. I have some songs on there but that's because I used my wife's iTunes to drag and drop, but then it wouldn't download the last song of each abum. Which was very annoying.

@redhanded - the second paragraph made sense, not so much the first... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

Yyyyyeeeeahhhhh, see, problem is iTunes won't download onto my laptop, or it did (because I saw the page "Thanks for downloading iTunes") and I can't find it. There's no icon. )

Dude, you fail at computers so badly!

Yeah, get an iPad, but V2 will be out in January, so I'd suggest waiting until then (this is what I'm doing). Although there is a software update due at 6pm today IIRC.
  • cjcp wrote:

@redhanded - the second paragraph made sense, not so much the first... :)

Yup... not very well phrased on my part. This provides more information:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... s_pcs.html
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Reasons to buy an iPad:

- You've got more money than sense.
    - You're trying to appear up-to-date & in denial that you're getting old.
    - You want to show off to your friends and plan to leave it conveniently lying around in full view when they visit.
    - You want bonus "Wife Points" for totally selfish reasons :-) She knows this, but enjoys manipulating her partner to get what she wants.

Other than that, if you've already got a laptop, what the flinkin blip is the point in the iPad?

(Of course, these are the rantings of someone who could not be less interested in, or impressed by, 'technology' if he tried...)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    How can the iPad v2 be out January 2011 when the iPad was only released April this year and hasn't even been through X-mas yet.

Also, releasing new tech just after X-mas is just bad marketing as that is usually a lull in the tech buying market.

Most tech, TV's, phones etc get released April to September. Most blockbuster games (European ones) released September - Nov. Both ahead of X-mas. The tech gets released earlier as due to the expense it takes time for people to a). save b). be convinced that they need it.

I don't want or need a tablet. I wouldn't get an iPad as I regard it in the same light I do skinny jeans. Fashionista rubbish. However, my manager and a Director have one and I've played with it and it is AWESOME.

That said:

Rule 1 of DDD tech buying - Never get the first version of any generation of a technical item.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I wouldn't get an iPad as I regard it in the same light I do skinny jeans. Fashionista rubbish. However, my manager and a Director have one and I've played with it and it is AWESOME.

This is so weird with Apple stuff. People are willing to admit that they love the device, but then say they wouldn't buy it for odd reasons that sound a bit like anti-fashion/anti-big business/pro-little guy/I wanna be an anti-hero reasons.

Don't get it. If it's good, and you like it, buy it.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2010
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I wouldn't get an iPad as I regard it in the same light I do skinny jeans. Fashionista rubbish. However, my manager and a Director have one and I've played with it and it is AWESOME.

This is so weird with Apple stuff. People are willing to admit that they love the device, but then say they wouldn't buy it for odd reasons that sound a bit like anti-fashion/anti-big business/pro-little guy/I wanna be an anti-hero reasons.

Don't get it. If it's good, and you like it, buy it.

I have an iPhone, not for the phone but for the google maps, facebook and other features (aprt from the camera). It meets my needs.

I don't need an iPad or a tablet. In the iPad's case it doesn't play flash so how would I watch bang bus? There goes a good portion of my other Internet usuage.

If Ms DDD wanted an iPad i'd probably get it for her, these things usually end up creating a need even if there isn't one in the first place. Like her iPod now she can't do without it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    Sorry, I should've sent 'announced in Jan' Apple do tend to follow a 12 month refresh cycle, so yes 12 months is more likely. I've had a play on several iPads now and am pretty much sold, assuming V2 addresses a few annoying issues.
  • Sorry, I should've sent 'announced in Jan' Apple do tend to follow a 12 month refresh cycle, so yes 12 months is more likely. I've had a play on several iPads now and am pretty much sold, assuming V2 addresses a few annoying issues.

Such as (not baiting, genuinely curious)? Flash won't ever be addressed, I suspect.

I can see myself getting V2 on release day. V1 will be ebayed or (if I am feeling benevolent) sold for more than I'd get on ebay to a family member.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Sorry, I should've sent 'announced in Jan' Apple do tend to follow a 12 month refresh cycle, so yes 12 months is more likely. I've had a play on several iPads now and am pretty much sold, assuming V2 addresses a few annoying issues.

When I will need it. The other day I had works crappy laptop and had to rap a presentation a capella. It would have been so much better to whip the iPad out hook it to the projector and gave the presentation. You get plus marks for being 'with it' and having a smart looking computer/Apple. ' When it can do that. I'll get it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

When I will need it. The other day I had works crappy laptop and had to rap a presentation a capella. It would have been so much better to whip the iPad out hook it to the projector and gave the presentation. You get plus marks for being 'with it' and having a smart looking computer/Apple. ' When it can do that. I'll get it.

Yeah.

Worked for this guy

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I dunno DDD, I'm not you. I quite frequently find myself in situations when it would be handy - sharing docs in client meetings, emailing, surfing, watching films whilst travelling, hell just sitting in front of the TV, as the missus always steals the laptop. Oh and streaming music to my hifi - which the new OS will allow. Plenty of uses then.

@Greg - mainly interested to see if there will be cameras and a better screen. Be nice to see more outputs but knowing Apple this will never happen! Also more storage would be great, I can see myself filling 64GB v quickly, already having to manage content on the iPhone far more than I'd like.