OT: iPads

Comments

• They are cool but i'm trying to travel back to the UK for Xmas so gonna have to cash in on mine. Received as a present, used purely for leisure, including case, charger box etc. I should have said 'iPad for sale 64GB 3G wifi £400' :shock:
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

Yyyyyeeeeahhhhh, see, problem is iTunes won't download onto my laptop, or it did (because I saw the page "Thanks for downloading iTunes") and I can't find it. There's no icon. )

Dude, you fail at computers so badly!

Yeah, get an iPad, but V2 will be out in January, so I'd suggest waiting until then (this is what I'm doing). Although there is a software update due at 6pm today IIRC.

prz004.gif

I'VE DOWNLOADED ITUNES!!! I'VE DOWNLOADED ITUNES!!!! :D

Something about needing to install a 64-bit something or other first.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

prz004.gif

steve-jobs1.jpg
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have a Mac book Pro & iPhone so I can't see the point.

Oh, and 160Gb of music and 80Gb of photos so they won't fit. Meh............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yyyyyeeeeahhhhh, see, problem is iTunes won't download onto my laptop, or it did (because I saw the page "Thanks for downloading iTunes") and I can't find it. There's no icon. )

Dude, you fail at computers so badly!

Yeah, get an iPad, but V2 will be out in January, so I'd suggest waiting until then (this is what I'm doing). Although there is a software update due at 6pm today IIRC.

prz004.gif

I'VE DOWNLOADED ITUNES!!! I'VE DOWNLOADED ITUNES!!!! :D

Something about needing to install a 64-bit something or other first.

There will now follow a couple of days of you putting your CDs into and out of the drawer on your PC.

I suggest you do this on your home computer though. Otherwise you'll tie your ipad to your work PC.

Or are you doing some crafty WFH today...?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rule 1 of DDD tech buying -[/b] Never get the first version of any generation of a technical item.
    But then I'd have missed out on DAB when it was actually in half-decent quality before the BBC went for the quart in a pint pot approach (quantity over quality), and have missed out on BBC HD being in a quality that matches other broadcasters HD o/put, now that they've decided that HD means 'a bit higher def than normal but not so good that you'll ever think "hey that's good"'.

Sometimes you gotta get in there early on, and if no-one does, it doesn't take off and/or the price remains too high for the ordinary punters. And you end up never buying any tech stuff in case a better version comes out 5 weeks later.
  • cjcp
    But now I can't access the ITunes store. Ballcocks.

head%20banging%20computer%20ani.gif
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:

There will now follow a couple of days of you putting your CDs into and out of the drawer on your PC.

I suggest you do this on your home computer though. Otherwise you'll tie your ipad to your work PC.

Ah. Right. I've just put it on my work laptop.
    Or are you doing some crafty WFH today...?

Not really. Well, not at all. I'm at work. Much amusement caused by the little cheer I let out when I downloaded the pesky thing.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rule 1 of DDD tech buying -[/b] Never get the first version of any generation of a technical item.
    But then I'd have missed out on DAB when it was actually in half-decent quality before the BBC went for the quart in a pint pot approach (quantity over quality), and have missed out on BBC HD being in a quality that matches other broadcasters HD o/put, now that they've decided that HD means 'a bit higher def than normal but not so good that you'll ever think "hey that's good"'.

Sometimes you gotta get in there early on, and if no-one does, it doesn't take off and/or the price remains too high for the ordinary punters. And you end up never buying any tech stuff in case a better version comes out 5 weeks later.

I bought a minidisc, great tech IMO. Soon after people started getting MP3's.

There are, however, exceptions to the rule. If you are a proper techy on the particular tech in question and are sure its going to be the best (Pioneer Plasma TV's that were sold at a loss but are still regarded as the best in the industry) then who am I to argue.

LOL!!!

I have met someone who has so much difficulty with PC's. What PC are you using where you need to upgrade something sound/processing from 32bit to 64bit to simply work iTunes?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:

LOL!!!

I have met someone who has so much difficulty with PC's. What PC are you using where you need to upgrade something sound/processing from 32bit to 64bit to simply work iTunes?

It's a laptop. A red one. People here call it a ThinkPad.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

head%20banging%20computer%20ani.gif

Do you have some nannying firewall at work that stops access to useful stuff on the internet?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    The IT people are checking that now. Resources are being deployed very usefully today.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    cjcp wrote:

They give people ThinkPad's at work now? What do you do!?

Anywho... you really need to be putting iTunes on your home PC and to save yourself the pain only connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod to that PC. Unless it needs charging then any PC will do, just don't connect it to the iTunes on that PC.

< For everyone else > Yes you can link it to two iTunes (work and home) but lets save CJCP the pain and just help him get started in the easiest possible way.

CJCP, I still think you should get your kids sort it out. Children usually know how to work modern software better than adults.... its like an instinct that's lost over time.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

They give people ThinkPad's at work now? What do you do!?

Is that good? I dunno.
    Anywho... you really need to be putting iTunes on your home PC and to save yourself the pain only connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod to that PC. Unless it needs charging then any PC will do, just don't connect it to the iTunes on that PC.

No home PC, so I'm a bit stuck on that one.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    cjcp wrote:
    smiley_oh_sticker-p217194901605792400qjcl_400.jpg

What were the dark ages like?
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    [/img]

What were the dark ages like?

Dude, he's still living in them!
  • O
    M
    G.

You have no form of computer at home? What a genius was to rein in Mrs. cjcp's internet spending.

Damn.

Why haven't I thought of that? I'm reduced to toying with the idea of disconnecting the modem, then shrugging my shoulders when asked why the internet won't work.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    O
    M
    G.

You have no form of computer at home? What a genius was to rein in Mrs. cjcp's internet spending.

Damn.

Why haven't I thought of that? I'm reduced to toying with the idea of disconnecting the modem, then shrugging my shoulders when asked why the internet won't work.

I'm not so lucky (or that clever). The Boss has her own laptop.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    O
    M
    G.

Damn.

A-ha!

If the ipad is for her, load iTunes onto her laptop, then get her to transfer the household CDs onto it.

Delegation. Brilliant.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    [

A-ha!

If the ipad is for her, load iTunes onto her laptop, then get her to transfer the household CDs onto it.

Delegation. Brilliant.

Genius!

You can lose days doing that!
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    O
    M
    G.

Damn.

A-ha!

Delegation. Brilliant.

Hmmm. There's a thought. But that would mean my iPod library woudl be on her machine, right? Is there a synch issue? I might stop typing right now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    If you are both sharing, using and listening to the same music library then it would make more sense to have one centralised source (home PC/Laptop) that all users can attach their iDevices to.

Makes no sense having it on the work PC if the wife cannot access it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    But she's already got iTunes on her laptop.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    picard5.jpg

So why are you putting iTunes on your work laptop?

Ok,

If you and your wife use the same music library then you don't need iTunes on your work laptop.

All you need to do is hook your iDevice (I assume iPod) to her laptop and synch to the iTunes on her laptop (IF you are using the same music library/listen to the same music).

When you buy her a iPad, give it to her, say I love you. Say no more. Reap the benefits.

She'll hook it to her laptop and then witchcraft will happen.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Right.

Put the club down.

Let's go back to the beginning, and take this in stages.

You have an ipod already. Mrs. cjcp has a laptop. Her laptop has iTunes on it. Your work laptop does not have iTunes on it.

So does her iTunes, on her laptop, hold you ipod music library?

If so, that's good.

You can have two iDevices running off one copy of iTunes. You set both devices to synch only checked songs. You have one massive music library in iTunes, and each iDevice copies as much or as little of it to itself, as desired by the owner of the device.

So you run your ipod and her ipad off the iTunes library on her laptop.

Geddit?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Jeeves+and+Wooster.jpg

I think so. I didn't think you could have two iDevices off the same library. I'll try it on the weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Or you buy an network harddrive, transfer your library to the network hardrive and then point each copy of Itunes at it...simples
  • il_principe
    JZed wrote:
    Or you buy an network harddrive, transfer your library to the network hardrive and then point each copy of Itunes at it...simples

This is a nice idea in practice, but I found it to be a massive PITA.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    BEST

THREAD

EVER.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wait. I'm confused. Will my iPod connect to a PC?

I thought they only connected to Apples?