Sportives, i just dont get it.

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    A sportive isn't much different from a good night out, when you meet other people, buy overpriced drinks and food and try to beat your mates at darts or pool, knowing that it's not a formal competition.

It's called FUN.
  • On a sportive, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion. He suggests that audaxes are waste of time and money. They are clearly are not for him. The routes are not challenging and he does not like the riders.

On an audax, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion. He suggests that sportives are waste of time and money. They are clearly are not for him. The routes are not challenging and he does not like the riders.

Suffice to say that most of the discussion around the benefits or disbenefits other type event is purile rubbish. The only distinction is created by the discursive construct of either activity. It is sheer territorialism at its worst.

I ride both types of event and to be frank, their are heroes and pillocks in both, and; there are good and poor events in both.

• dead sheep wrote:
    Suffice to say that most of the discussion around the benefits or disbenefits other type event is purile rubbish. The only distinction is created by the discursive construct of either activity..

You what? I get the puerile bit - but 'discursive construct'?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I had to look up some of those words....
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    dead sheep wrote:
    On a sportive, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion.

On an audax, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion.

Which one had a beard?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    dead sheep wrote:
    On a sportive, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion.

On an audax, a man dressed in team kit draws alongside whilst riding his Trek Madone and we strike up a discussion.

Which one had a beard?

Audaxers have beards and sportivers have designer stubble. Both look the same in appearance. :lol:
  • coxy84
    coxy84 Posts: 45
    sportives are a great easy entry into cycling, im starting to get into my cycling and there good to get invovled in cycling with others on what is usually a pretty good route with a bit of everything for everyone if i keep doing them and am still enjoying cycling in a year or so then will probably look to progress into races etc.

dont get it when people say sportives aren t hard, in my book if you arent spent at the end you didnt cycle hard enough, i always bury myself when i go out on the bike :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's good people enjoy things. These are approachable events that are easy to enter online and anyone can ride. There's no paper entry form to be posted off weeks in advance, no requirement for a licence a medical certificate, nor rules on clothing or other limits. The routes are published in advance. Certainly others in the sport could learn from this.
    phreak wrote:
    Where would I look for those? I did a quick search on the BC site for races that were neither closed circuit or time trial and it returned 1 result in the south-east. Compared to the number of sportives it isn't much of a comparison.
    Take at look at surreyleague.co.uk, you have plenty of races near London from these guys.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I've just entered a sportive because I want a target to help me do a 100 mile ride. I could just ride round home but then I'd need to carry a lot more food/drink and I'd have to keep stopping to look at a map once I got further from home. Or do laps of a 50 mile course that I could navigate without a map.

Secondly it's always fun being in a big event. Lots of people do marathons (I've done one - slowly!) and it's far more fun than running by yourself.

Plus I'll get to see some new areas of countryside :)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I do a sportive nearly every weekend. I get to ride nearly a hundred miles over varying terrain against riders of all levels including world champions sometimes. I get great and varied food stops that suit my needs. I don't have to worry about which bike I'm riding and how long its head tube is. These sportives are run all year round by people I know and trust.
    What am I talking about? My club run of course!

Now don't get me wrong I think that ANY cycling is a good thing and we should encourage people to get out there on two wheels of any sort.

I have done a couple of 'proper' sportives and I do like the mix of riders and the chance to meet new people. I find that some on the rides are only there to justify there cycling purchases. Also you get an element who ride them as they know they can blast past lesser riders to look good even though in their heart of hearts they know they couldn't hold on to a 3rd cat pack.

At the end of the day it's supply and demand and as long as there is growth in the sportive market then prices will keep rising.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I enjoy sportive riding and yes it does justify my cycling purchases!

I train hard as I use the timings in sportives for my personal goals. To some these are fast to others could be slow. How would I match up to a 3rd cat racer? Who would know but my times give me good average speeds that I'm pleased with and I know match the training I put into them.

As said some sportives are some are bad some are good.

I do agree that £30 is taking the proverbial for some rides with what is provided.

Also some European sportives I feel provide more of a challenge than a 3rd cat race and require just as much training.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    markos1963 wrote:
    I do a sportive nearly every weekend. I get to ride nearly a hundred miles over varying terrain against riders of all levels including world champions sometimes. I get great and varied food stops that suit my needs. I don't have to worry about which bike I'm riding and how long its head tube is. These sportives are run all year round by people I know and trust.

Now don't get me wrong I think that ANY cycling is a good thing and we should encourage people to get out there on two wheels of any sort.

I have done a couple of 'proper' sportives and I do like the mix of riders and the chance to meet new people. I find that some on the rides are only there to justify there cycling purchases. Also you get an element who ride them as they know they can blast past lesser riders to look good even though in their heart of hearts they know they couldn't hold on to a 3rd cat pack.

At the end of the day it's supply and demand and as long as there is growth in the sportive market then prices will keep rising.

Sorry, we keep getting claims that sportives are just club runs. I do a club run every Sunday and it's nothing like a sportive. Club runs are for everyone to ride together, for me sportives are to ride as hard as I can and not feel as if I have to wait for anyone, or worry about being dropped. My average speed is far higher on a sportive than on a Sunday run.
    I enjoy both types of ride.
  • markos1963
    I am not saying a sportive is a club run, what I am saying is I can get all I want from a sportive on a club run. If I want to ride hard and not wait for anyone i go racing or TT'ing and if I don't want to worry about being dropped I go out with the chain gang. All of this I can do for a fraction of the cost of the typical British sportive. I would also call into question the subject of average speeds, plenty of our club rides for the faster groups would murder the typical sportive average.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    markos1963 wrote:
    I get to ride nearly a hundred miles over varying terrain ...

No offense but the terrain can't vary that much if you are living in Norfolk
  • markos1963 wrote:
    I am not saying a sportive is a club run, what I am saying is I can get all I want from a sportive on a club run. If I want to ride hard and not wait for anyone i go racing or TT'ing and if I don't want to worry about being dropped I go out with the chain gang. All of this I can do for a fraction of the cost of the typical British sportive. I would also call into question the subject of average speeds, plenty of our club rides for the faster groups would murder the typical sportive average.

The cost thing makes me laugh. People spend thousands of pounds on a bike, often every three years or less, probably change a set of tires at £50+ every couple of months, £100+ on bibshorts, £££ on silly accessories to make your bike "better" or just "different" then quibble about £5 or £10 either way to do a sportive.
  • markos1963
    vorsprung wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    I get to ride nearly a hundred miles over varying terrain ...

No offense but the terrain can't vary that much if you are living in Norfolk

None taken but we can't all be mountain goats, going ups hills isn't the be all of cycling performance. Plenty of varyation in the landscape around here anyway, it's not all like the fens.
  • markos1963 wrote:

So one weekend your Club run is in Wales, The next the Lake District and the next the South Downs?

I ride sportives because it motivates me to get to different parts of the country, ride some great routes and know that I won't have to worry about navigation or where to get food etc.

Sportives are nothing like club runs that I've ever been on.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 wrote:

The cost thing makes me laugh. People spend thousands of pounds on a bike, often every three years or less, probably change a set of tires at £50+ every couple of months, £100+ on bibshorts, £££ on silly accessories to make your bike "better" or just "different" then quibble about £5 or £10 either way to do a sportive.

I agree with what you are saying and I can well afford enter sportives but not every weekend. I can however afford the £20 a year club fee and the couple of quid for a cake and a coffee. There are plenty who can't afford to spend a £1000 on a bike and would like to ride in a socialable group regulary without having to pay £20-30 for it.
  • markos1963
    Brakeless wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

So one weekend your Club run is in Wales, The next the Lake District and the next the South Downs?

I ride sportives because it motivates me to get to different parts of the country, ride some great routes and know that I won't have to worry about navigation or where to get food etc.

That's really great that you can get to those places and can afford to travel/stay over to do them, not everyone can. Our clun runs can't compete with that but we do a different route each week and so suits MY needs.
  • markos1963 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

That's really great that you can get to those places and can afford to travel/stay over to do them, not everyone can. Our clun runs can't compete with that but we do a different route each week and so suits MY needs.

Thats great but it still doesn't make your club run a sportive!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Somebody asked what i dont get about sportives?
    Well, i dont get why they are timed. This encourages many to treat it as a race and its not. Although it does satisfy the riders ego . But this type of cyclist is more concerned about showing off to his mates down the pub and always wants the foreback of " its not really a race is it " when he gets his arse kicked.
    Dont really get the need for food stocks , most of them are no longer than 100 miles and a couple of jaffa cakes in your back pocket would surffice.
    Dont really get why many promoters bill their event as some mega hard challenge, when to be quite frank theres much tougher cycling events out there.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Sportives argument still going,love or hate em they are optional,and should be taken as seriously or as lightly as you want,but i do agree its a cyclist thing about acting as though know is showing off but if were all honest most are guilty in some form ie toughest ,fastest best bike etc :lol:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    sub55 wrote:
    Well, i dont get why they are timed.

It's to compare with your colleagues or if you ever do the event again next year. Nothing wrong with that. Not being harsh but I dont see many enthusiast cyclists going down the pub to brag to their beer belly mates who laugh at men wearing lycra...
    sub55 wrote:
    Dont really get the need for food stocks , most of them are no longer than 100 miles and a couple of jaffa cakes in your back pocket would surffice.

B*ll*cks. Any ride over fifty for me I can suffer if I dont take some nutrition or drink supplement. Depends on how hard you ride, weather and preparation.
    sub55 wrote:
    Dont really get why many promoters bill their event as some mega hard challenge, when to be quite frank theres much tougher cycling events out there.

Kind of agree, but they have to pull in the punters so to speak. Harldy get anyone to sign up to the 'Walk in the Park Pennine Pootle'.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    sub55 wrote:
    Well, i dont get why they are timed. This encourages many to treat it as a race and its not. Although it does satisfy the riders ego . But this type of cyclist is more concerned about showing off to his mates down the pub and always wants the foreback of " its not really a race is it " when he gets his ars* kicked.

Are you being serious or just trolling?

Why shouldn't they be timed? I like doing the occasional sportive, but like most I don't go around bragging about my times. No-one cares. Just like no-one cares if I come 9th in a BC 3rd/4th race. Still means something to ME though. A sportive is an event same as a BC or TLI race; a club run or a solo ride isn't. They're just bike rides. Do you get that?

A hundred miles on a couple of jaffa cakes? Have you ever ridden a hilly hundred miles? Yes it is possible to carry almost all you need, but its nice to have a feedstop as a back-up (unfortunately too many people seem to rely on them completely though).

And you think sportive routes aren't tough? Compared to what? Tell me about some 100 mile routes in the UK that are harder than the Fred Whitton? Have you tried cycling up Hardknott after 90 odd miles and several serious climbs?

Fine you still don't get them and maybe you never will, but everyone is different. If you got what motivates everyone in the world or even every cyclist in your club you'd be unique.
    More problems but still living....
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    subb55 - please tell me what first attracted you to time trialling.

i mean how tough can 10/25/50/100 usually flattish miles against the clock be.

guess what, i know the answer 'as hard as YOU make it'.

well perhaps there are a few out there who want to ride a tougher route against the clock, that's precisely why i choose sportives over timetrials and road racing around a 20 mile circuit five times with one hill. not to beat anyone (ill leave that to you sub55), just to test myself over routes i would never otherwise ride - against the clock.

if you can ride the fred whitton on a couple of jaffa cakes - well done!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    You don't tend to get views like this on your average time trial either (I'lll be at the back btw gorging on jaffa cakes) ;)

34547_451199411141_524621141_6595984_5759528_n.jpg
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    sub55 wrote:
    Well, i dont get why they are timed.

It's the format of the event. Some people like to know how long it took them
    Dont really get the need for food stops

So the riders don't need to carry enough food and drink for 100 miles. Obviously they could but that's not the point
    Dont really get why many promoters bill their event as some mega hard challenge

Sportives are mass participation events. This means a lot of beginners. To a beginner a 100 miles with any amount of ascent is going to be somewhat difficult. Therefore, to many of the entrants it really truely is mega hard
  • vorsprung wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    Dont really get why many promoters bill their event as some mega hard challenge

Sportives are mass participation events. This means a lot of beginners. To a beginner a 100 miles with any amount of ascent is going to be somewhat difficult. Therefore, to many of the entrants it really truely is mega hard

And in some instances where sportive riders no longer feel mega-challenged by sportives, they either:

- enter multi-day sportives.
    - switch to audax's longer events.
    - or take to proper road racing.
    - stick with what they are doing.

Either way, sportives are great event type for beginner sporty cyclists but that is their limit. Riders who think bigger usually make a switch to another activity. Quite a few ex-sportivers in my club have transitioned to either audax or classic road racing. Very few stick with sportives.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure about this hierarchy business. I reckon that a hard ridden Fred Whitton or Etape du Dales is a harder, more satisfying and more challenging event than a bog standard 10 mile time trial on a flat course.
    I know which gives me more satisfaction!
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Is there a central list of Italian Gand Fondos available anywhere? Fancy entering a few next year