Sportives, i just dont get it.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Doesn't really bother me, unless you pay a lot and get nothing. I went to an Evans event in Northants this year and the feed station was a chair with a Gatorade bottle on it :lol: No people there at all. Weather was grotty mind you but still :D

The Maratona was something else though. They sent a text message on the morning to make sure you woke up in time. You got a message at the top of each climb with your time thus far, and a congratulations message (with time) once you'd finished. Throw in a free jersey, gillet, water bottle, fantastic weather, outstanding feedstations and Mario Cippolini for company and it's hard to top.

Oh and you get some fantastic multimedia at the end as well. For instance each rider gets a video of them going over the main passes, and you get something like 40 photos (split between ones of you and ones of the event) for something like 10 euros.

I probably sound like a proper fan boy but it was the best day :)
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    phreak wrote:
    Doesn't really bother me, unless you pay a lot and get nothing. I went to an Evans event in Northants this year and the feed station was a chair with a Gatorade bottle on it :lol: No people there at all. Weather was grotty mind you but still :D

The Maratona was something else though. They sent a text message on the morning to make sure you woke up in time. You got a message at the top of each climb with your time thus far, and a congratulations message (with time) once you'd finished. Throw in a free jersey, gillet, water bottle, fantastic weather, outstanding feedstations and Mario Cippolini for company and it's hard to top.

Oh and you get some fantastic multimedia at the end as well. For instance each rider gets a video of them going over the main passes, and you get something like 40 photos (split between ones of you and ones of the event) for something like 10 euros.

Now THATS a proper sportive!
    I intend on doing a european sportive next year and I am struggling a little to enter our sportives as frankly they are mostly a ripoff.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    phreak wrote:

I want to do this one but find it hard to get in it. I did Pinarello a few times,
    If you llok at cost of flights from UK with budget lines, cheap accomodation and cheap food in Italy and very reasonable entry costs with far more in return tha UJ events, then compare overall costs including expensive accomoadation, entrie fees, tatty goody bags, no pasta fest etc at end of event and the Itailian sportives work out very good value for money, and if you want to treat it as a race you can, but you need to be semi pro to get near the front for sure!!
    Think the best ride I saw by a brit was by former junior who used to post on here, Andrew Bye in the Marmotte, think he came in about 6th in incredible time.
  • phreak
    We took it as a holiday so had a week of riding in the mountains out there before the event. Was a fantastic week. We got into the Maratona via Cycling Weekly as they have some guaranteed places each year.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    I`m not completely adversed to spending alittle bit money .
    TO a certain extent the amount is immaterial, for me entry fees are about value for money. Did a little event the other week around the Brecon Beacons, 100k in total , 2000m of climbing so alittle hard but not rediculous. As much tea/coffee at the start as you can drink, beans on toast and a glass of beer at the end, coat £4.
    Now thats value for money.
    Compare that to your average sportive and they just appear to me to de a rip off. That are organised to satify the egotistical nature within most of us.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Sadly they are getting expensive. I like doing them though so will still participate in them just not as much as I would have if they were competitively priced.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    sub55 wrote:
    I`m not completely adversed to spending alittle bit money .
    TO a certain extent the amount is immaterial, for me entry fees are about value for money. Did a little event the other week around the Brecon Beacons, 100k in total , 2000m of climbing so alittle hard but not rediculous. As much tea/coffee at the start as you can drink, beans on toast and a glass of beer at the end, coat £4.
    Now thats value for money.
    Compare that to your average sportive and they just appear to me to de a rip off. That are organised to satify the egotistical nature within most of us.

A proper sportive would include

1) feed stops in addition to the coffee at start and beans at the end
    2) broom wagon in case of mechanical
    3) fully signed route
    4) photographer...might cost extra but it is there as service
    5) timing chips to give an accurate/consistent time
    6) as well as a finishing certificate a bronze/silver/gold award for doing the route in a time limit
    7) free parking

You might not want those things BUT a lot of people do without being "egotistical". The cost of those things is such that the entry will be considerably more than £4 without being a "rip off"

Can you not understand that not everyone wants a 1950s CTC ride experience?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's funny, isn't it, how cyclists will pay hundreds or even thousands in search of marginal weight saving, performance gains, cooler image, or whatever - but then other cyclists (I'm sure it's never, ever the same ones :wink: ) moan about a few quid for a sportive.

Can I suggest that "I just don't get sportives" would appear to translate as "I feel superior to sportives".
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    bompington wrote:
    It's funny, isn't it, how cyclists will pay hundreds or even thousands in search of marginal weight saving, performance gains, cooler image, or whatever - but then other cyclists (I'm sure it's never, ever the same ones :wink: ) moan about a few quid for a sportive.

Can I suggest that "I just don't get sportives" would appear to translate as "I feel superior to sportives".

That, I'm afraid is spot on. Racing cyclists look down on sportive riders because they see us as wanabees, Audax riders feel superior because they were there first and fail to understand that not everyone wants to grind out massive numbers of miles with regular cafe stops. Both groups feel threatened by the massive numbers of people brought into the sport by sportives.
    I say each to his own.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Absolutely.

The fact is there are 1000's of people who are willing pay £30 to get out of their beds at silly o'clock on a wet/windy Sunday morning and ride on 'free' roads. And I, for one, celebrate the fact that cycling is this popular right now!

I don't get why people would pay more than this to watch overpaid f***ballers kick a ball around until they're 'tired' / 'rotated' / 'injured' / 'caught shagging someones girlfriend', when everyone knows there are only 2 teams who can win the premier league.

But, just like sportives, it will happen because the demand is there, when it's not the prices will fall.
  • phreak
    It's probably an incorrect impression, but anyway, the impression I get of racing is that it tends to be mostly criterium style racing or time trialling, neither of which really appeal to me. I got into cycling by watching stage races with decent mileage, climbing and so on, and sportives seem the most similar to that (certainly the most frequently similar), so they're what I do.
  • vs
    I couldn't agree more.

I don't really want to travel hours in the car to ride around a pretty boring circuit with one 'climb'. I would love to do a road race over a sportive course, however. just like most, I'm not an elite.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    phreak wrote:
    It's probably an incorrect impression, but anyway, the impression I get of racing is that it tends to be mostly criterium style racing or time trialling

you're absolutely right - it is an incorrect impression.
    phreak wrote:
    I got into cycling by watching stage races with decent mileage, climbing and so on, and sportives seem the most similar to that (certainly the most frequently similar), so they're what I do.

so you don't race because the races are not hard enough..?? :D

"barman - I'll have some of what he's drinking.."
  • phreak
    Where would I look for those? I did a quick search on the BC site for races that were neither closed circuit or time trial and it returned 1 result in the south-east. Compared to the number of sportives it isn't much of a comparison.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    edited November 2010
    deleted - double post
  • gavintc
    vs wrote:
    I couldn't agree more.

I don't really want to travel hours in the car to ride around a pretty boring circuit with one 'climb'. I would love to do a road race over a sportive course, however. just like most, I'm not an elite.

Come to Italy and do just that. Sportives or rather Gran Fondo / Medio Fondo are races which you need a race licence to enter. The roads are closed and policed for the whole 100-130km. The route is typically hilly and over a 100km ride, you will climb 3 decent mountains. As an older competitor, I am not at the head of the race, but typically find a peloton of the old men and enjoy a race with about 20-30 riders where we work together and only in the final 10km does the pace really pick up breaking up the peloton. It is such a well organised experience, where food and drink is handed to you by helpers as you go through food stations. You do not stop, but keep moving. The bikes are 'chipped' giving accurate timing. Races are normally about 400 riders making the start a wonderful experience where the road is completely blocked with one big peloton being led through the neutral zone.

And on the credit side, the scenery is simply stunning. Villagers line the route cheering you on, and it becomes a real carnival atmosphere. There is a real buzz as you run through a village often on the wrong side of the road, taking blind corners, with the local police out blocking all the side roads.

Sadly, I can not see this level of acceptance of cycling events coming to UK anytime soon.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Nickwill wrote:
    bompington wrote:

That, I'm afraid is spot on. Racing cyclists look down on sportive riders because they see us as wanabees, Audax riders feel superior because they were there first and fail to understand that not everyone wants to grind out massive numbers of miles with regular cafe stops. Both groups feel threatened by the massive numbers of people brought into the sport by sportives.
    I say each to his own.

looking down....? Not at all... well I dont I can assure you... but a race eg tli membership £15..... my own club membership £15 ( for the sake of the few TTs I do and Sunday club rides)... AND single digit entry fees for a race... whereby I am MOST put to the sword more than any sportive can possibly hope to do.
    I enjoy the bunch riding (but you need the fitness to keep up, that is the incentive)... you only need to look at sportive photographs to see how mainly it is a lonely pursuit for a 50, 60 or 100 miles.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    phreak wrote:
    Where would I look for those? I did a quick search on the BC site for races that were neither closed circuit or time trial and it returned 1 result in the south-east. Compared to the number of sportives it isn't much of a comparison.

there won't be much on the BC calendar at this time of year - none of the 2011 dates are up yet...
  • vs
    Come to Italy and do just that.

Sounds great! I've just started my property search...
  • vs wrote:

me too,how much do they cost?
    new to cycling,3rd year,1st year at doing sportives found them great fun ,escape from the daily grind ,rode 8 this year varied in price from £6to 25 all good value well signed ,met some great people and enjoyed them all , :D
  • gavintc
    heystacky wrote:
    vs wrote:

new to cycling,3rd year,1st year at doing sportives found them great fun ,escape from the daily grind ,rode 8 this year varied in price from £6to 25 all good value well signed ,met some great people and enjoyed them all , :D

A typical entry fee is around 20 Euro. I am uncertain how a UK rider would enter as I had to take a medical and join a local club. It is a question, I must ask, as I am sure I will have friends who want to come out next year, stay for a short holiday and enter one.
  • vs
    I think maybe heystacky probably meant properties : )
    I also think heystacky has exactly the attitude that sub55 (glad he's told us that) is missing. It's an enjoyable, social day out!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    can i just reiterate , im in no way anti sportives . i think they are over priced for what they are.but if riders want to do them thats fine by me. started the thread to see what you guys get out of it. to be quite honest , no ones come up with anything of any substance .
    certainly nothing that i cant get else where and i think else where do their individual bits better than sportives do any of it. so to summerise , after reading three pages , i still dont get it.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    As some have put it, there is nothing wrong with trying to make a profit from running them if they are not affiliated to a charity. You just have to expect returns in what each person regards as value for money, however I do agree that once you tip past the £20 fee I start to lose interest.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I can see why sportives cost a lot - if they are commercial ventures then they must be paying staff and that is soon going to eat into any entry fees - if you are trying to make a decent profit on top then £25-£30 is going to be the kind of fee you need to charge.

Personally though for me the majority of them aren't worth that. Last one I did was the Cheshire Cat a few years ago - I thought the route was appalling, it wasn't a mass start so you were in no bigger group than a club run and there were lots of people getting lost, including us. I understand that event is better run now but unless it's a sportive with very good reviews I wouldn't even look at it because that was a complete waste of a day.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Not a member of a club and don't race.

But I do Audax rides and Sportives.
    Yes Audax is cheaper, food stops at Sportives, etc.
    I enjoy the challenge of a 60 -100 mile route interspersed with a little group riding.

Why sportives? For me - route signs! I much prefer riding to orientering!
  • sub55 wrote:
    can i just reiterate , im in no way anti sportives . i think they are over priced for what they are.but if riders want to do them thats fine by me. started the thread to see what you guys get out of it. to be quite honest , no ones come up with anything of any substance .
    certainly nothing that i cant get else where and i think else where do their individual bits better than sportives do any of it. so to summerise , after reading three pages , i still dont get it.

what exactly dont you get?
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    honcho67 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

what exactly dont you get?

+1, some reasonable responses here, people saying whats good/not about them, why they like them etc. Did you really expect anything of 'substance'?!. :) .

Since you asked, I like them as they give me some incentive to get fit, a challenge to aim for and just enjoy a good, fun organised day out with some mates. Just a couple a year tho.

I have been trying to work out why people race, TT and audax but i have failed, I just cant understand it. I can get all I need from a sportive type event. And I just cant comprehend why other people see things differently to me. I mean, can't they see they are making poor lifestyle choices for gawds sake! :roll:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I dont really understand the question.... you ride a bike so u ride different stuff, cyclo X or MTB or TTs or Sportives, commute, ride with the kids on a Sunday?
    Given that your avg rider spends a small fortune on bike/wheels/tires and spares, whats £27 now an then?
    it gets cycling on the local news (is that good or bad?) and the more people who ride bikes means there is one less XXXX who might knock me off...or so i hope!
    plus you get to ride in parts of the country you would nt normally be xxxed to ride in.
  • FCatC
    FCatC Posts: 20
    Because people derive enjoyment out of them? Simple as that isn't it? Nothing else really matters, because that is what the end game of cycling is in all its forms.... surely? Why do people need to list a load of reasons why they like doing sportives, they just do.