help ive got to lose 44kg

bexley5200
bexley5200 Posts: 692
hi im a 49 year old male and yes thats 7 st of fat by the spring i have been on a low fat diet for 6 weeks and i have lost 2st i have been cycling for 15 years but havent cycled on the road for about a year i have been walking every day about an hour i hope to be lighter by spring and get out cycling again
going downhill slowly

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Having dropped from 105kg to 80kg mainly through cycling, I think you'll struggle to lose that much so quickly.

Even if you lost 44kg in 12 months you would be doing well.

Why do you need to lose so much so quickly? You're much more likely to keep it off too if you lose the weight over a slower a period of time.
  • i think a stone a month is acheveable for me 6 months till spring 7 months in total i see it as a goal
    going downhill slowly
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2010
    I admire you for trying to lose weight and here's some basic maths of what you need to achieve:

1lb fat = approx 3500 kCal

so to lose 2lb (900g) of fat a week you need a calorie debt of over 1000 kCal/day, so for a 'normal' man that is a diet of less than 1500 kCal/day. Any exercise you do will of course affect your daily requirements.

So to lose a stone in a month you need to be doubling that i.e. a calorie debt of 2000 kCal /day. That would mean effectively living on a 1500 kCal a day diet and doing 1 to 1.5 hours of intense exercise every day. I'm not sure how healthy that is long term and how it would affect you in terms of feeling tired.

From my experiences, a large part of initial weight loss will be water rather than fat so whilst you've lost a lot so far, it is difficult to keep it going. At work we had a 'Lardathon' basically it meant getting weighed every Thursday morning and the results were on a spreadsheet for all to see.

Here is my graph from 2005 to 2009. The first big weight drop started in September 06 and I reached 84 kg in 2 years and 80kg a year later although I went up to 89kg over the winter due to lack of cycling! My weight is now stabilised around 80kg.

19le1g.jpg

Gaz, the 39st 13lb cyclist has done exceptionally well and I am continually amazed by his progress but given he was the weight of 3 healthy men to start off with, he had an awful lot more weight to lose and had a lot of 'reserves' to allow him to cope with a lower calorie diet, remembering that to drag that much weight around requires a lot more than the 'normal' 2500 kCal just to maintain weight. I don't know what Gaz ate during his diet but at the size of 3 men he could have eaten 3000-4000 kCal a day and still lost weight.

The important thing is don't give up if your weight loss is less than you hoped. As long as the trend is in the right direction you're doing well
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    One word. Liposuction.

(I once lost 38KG in 3 months. Low cal, low fat and low carb diet with lots of exercise. A few carefully chosen supplements to help keep the metabolism ticking over despite the low calorie intake. Exercise was hard as I didn't have the endurance that comes from a high carb diet - but a few hours a day was still possible.

It's not a diet I would recommend and I don't think many people would be able to stick to it due to the restrictiveness of what you can eat - but it worked for me.)
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My 50 cents
    Cut your calories to a 'sensible level' - say 2000 a day - every day. Don't starve (tho' 2000 a day may feel like starving at first), exercise moderately everyday - swim, walk, cycle every day .
    Some days you'll manage 2 hours others just 30 mins but make it a habit to exercise everyday. Just keep going. Its the everyday , long term thing that is important. you must pitch your exercise levels and calorieintake at a level you can keep going with, everyday, regardless of work, life, weather etc. You didn't get 44 kg excess overnight. It will take time and perseverence.
    if you slip on the slope , get up and keep going. Don't think hopeless case/bad person - just keep going. Make it a lifestyle. You can do it - perhaps your goal of 44 kgs is a bit tough but its a good challenge and even if you're a few kilos short in the spring you still wont be 44 kg overweight, you'll have the summer infront of you and feel like a new person.

If you can afford it get a good coach and /or nutritionist to help and support you.
    good luck
  • Pokerface
    ^---- 2000 cals a day used to be what was recommended for a normal male. If people are going over that (not taking into account cals burnt off by exercise), then it's no wonder so many people are fat in this country.

Personally - when I NEED to lose weight - I go down to 1000-1200 a day PLUS whatever I burn off exercising. So if I burn off an extra 1000 through exercise - I can THEN have 2000 cals a day.

Once the weight comes off, I return to sensible levels for maintenance. It's only when I lose my mind and go on month-long eating binges that I put the weight back on!

And oddly enough - it's the days I don't exercise that I tend to have the biggest appetite and eat the most! Probably the same for a lot of people.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    There's a good chance that even at 2000 kcal a day the OP would be halving intake. If he /she then goes from little exercise to regular exercise of an hour a day average he/she should lose weight - not fast not radical but maintainable and with energy to exercise and without resorting to dieting that will leave him /her malnourished if the weight reduction needs to be done over a long period of time. 1200kcal is probably not enough even for basal metabolic rate for a person who is 7 stone overweight - and whilst it might give big results to start with its unlikely to be stuck with....
  • Pokerface
    There's a good chance that even at 2000 kcal a day the OP would be halving intake. If he /she then goes from little exercise to regular exercise of an hour a day average he/she should lose weight - not fast not radical but maintainable and with energy to exercise and without resorting to dieting that will leave him /her malnourished if the weight reduction needs to be done over a long period of time. 1200kcal is probably not enough even for basal metabolic rate for a person who is 7 stone overweight - and whilst it might give big results to start with its unlikely to be stuck with....

With respect - you are wrong. I was 40kg overweight and managed to cycle hours a day on very low calories. Body burned off fat for energy. I wasn't malnourished and was able to maintain the diet for the entire time.

There are different strategies for losing weight over short and long periods of time. The OP wants to lose it over a short period of time.

'Crash dieting' isn't guaranteed to have to put the weight back on after the diet if you take steps to maintain your new, lower weight afterwards. But if you simply return to pre-diet lifestyle after the fast loss, of course you will gain it back.

The whole point of a massive deficit of daily caloric intake is to force the body to look for fuel elsewhere - and body fat is a prime dining location.
  • thanks for your support and tips i am on a low fat diet plenty of veg chicken and salad i also do 1 hour of walking and i go on my turbo every day i hope to get out on the road bike early next month before it gets too cold im happy with my progress ill be happy to lose it in 6/8 months
    going downhill slowly
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I also have lost nearly 7 stones from my heaviest. I lost mine over an 18 month period, and to be honest I would advise this sort of timeline, though it can be done alot quicker.

No doubt Pokerface managed to do it quicker, but not everyone will be able to have such a drastic diet and actually stick to it.

I would agree 2,000 calories with no exercise is going to be a very long road, but if you are exercising hardish for 1 hour a day, then a 2000 calorie diet should be OK, though it leaves no margin for error.

When I was losing the weight, I exercised virtually everyday, and was on about 1,500 to 1,800 calories per day. I lost about 2lb per week. Alot will depend on your job (how active you are), and the intensity of the exercise you do. I would suggest a big variety of exercise as well, as this ultimately will probably end up using alot more muscle groups than just the legs.

Just make sure you diet is as wholesome and nutritious as possible, and minimise all processed foods
  • Pokerface
    I just find it easier to deprive myself of a lot for food for a short period of time, rather than a little bit of food for a longer period of time! And at this time of year I can get by on very few calories as I don't need the same amount of energy as I do in the summer/racing months.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    edited December 2010
    i am certain i can lose 7st in 6 months i once rode 170 miles in a day and i have run 12 full marathons im determened to shift this weight by the spring
    going downhill slowly
  • bexley5200 wrote:
    some people on here think i cannot lose 7st in 6 months i once rode 170 miles in a day and i have run 12 full marathons im determened to shift this weight by the spring

Not being funny here, but how on earth have you managed to get so overweight, given you have run / ridden all of those distances? It's not as if you can just get up one Sunday morning and decide to run a marathon, let alone 12 of them! You must have been doing a reasonable amount of training preparation.
  • i will be the first to admit that i let myself go i overate and had no exercise and now am paying the price for that i put on 7st in 12 months 13 1/2 st to 19 1/2 st i now am more positive and losing weight with a low fat diet plenty of exersise although it is hard not eating them chips
    going downhill slowly
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Good luck with it mate.
    As said, have the weight loss as your goal...not just for by the spring and don't chuck all the hard work out the window if you don't make it.
    Just try and remember how it felt to be able to ride and run those distances :)
  • thank you RC856 for your comments they are much apreciated i will carry on till i lose the weight for how ever long it takes,craig
    going downhill slowly
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    It is very possible and very good on you. Didn't have as much as you to loose, but have lost about 25kg this year and will hopefully loose another 5kg by the New Year.

I set myself a challenge of entering the Bristol Bikefest event (12hr relay between 3) and with 6 weeks to go, hit the gym really hard for around 6 weeks and shifted probably around 12kg in that time (around 2 stone loss).

I had a reasonably strict diet, but I wouldn't say it was a drastic diet or that I ever felt lacking in energy (in fact it felt more like the reverse - I had more energy as I was eating very healthy)
    Most of my diet was based on the GI if that helps, with virtually no carbohydrate intake in that 6 week period (lots of beans, pulses, etc). Probably not the best diet to improve on speed, but endurance levels went up reasonably well in that 6 week period.

Personally, even when I was 17 stone and doing very little exercise, my fitness level actually wasn't that bad considering my weight. I was just eating very badly and way too much of the stuff.

Very good luck to you.. but I'm sure you won't need any!

Sounds like (reading above) that plenty of other people have very stories.

Take it easy
    Simon
  • update i have just been to see the weight loss nurse and in two months i have lost 20 kg three stone im delighted with this i know the weight loss will slow down but im looking forward to the next few months
    going downhill slowly
  • the one time I drifted a stone and a half over my ideal weight, I lost it slowly (six months) with virtually no change in diet through two things:

1) running to and from work everyday - as someone else said, working exercise into your daily routine is great cos you're killing two birds. You're not 'making an effort' to exercise, you're doing it as a matter of course.

2) signed up with british military fitness to do outdoor circuit training (2-3 one-hour sessions a week). They reckon in the top level classes you burn off about 1,200 calories in an hour. It also got me as fit as I've ever been in a remarkably short period.
    Specialized Allez 24
  • update on my weight loss ive been to see my weight nurse and i have lost another 7kg this month thats 4 stone 27kg in 3 months i have been out cycling only an hour each time and i do 1 hour on the turbo every day, but am happy with my progress so far.
    going downhill slowly
  • bexley5200 wrote:
    update on my weight loss ive been to see my weight nurse and i have lost another 6kg this month thats 4 stone 27kg in 3 months i have been out cycling on the road for about an hour and a half each day and enjoying the freedom, but am happy with my progress so far.and looking forward to riding in the spring.
    going downhill slowly
  • Keep up the good work!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    good news and well done on all your efforts so far!

Keep us up to date.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • newtez2
    newtez2 Posts: 209
    Any before and after pics!! as they will help motivate you and others 8)
    hills are made for climbing .....
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    bexley5200 wrote:
    i will be the first to admit that i let myself go i overate and had no exercise and now am paying the price for that i put on 7st in 12 months 13 1/2 st to 19 1/2 st i now am more positive and losing weight with a low fat diet plenty of exersise although it is hard not eating them chips

Dude, that must have been an amazing 12 months. If you put it on quickly you'll probably be able to lose it quickly. Sounds like you're doing brilliantly so far. Makes the 1 or 2 stone I'd like to lose seem paltry in comparison and totally achievable. Well done.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bloody brilliant! Keep it up and let us know how you get on.
  • Pokerface
    Well done. And good to see someone else is able to experience the type of weight loss I did (6 stone in 3 months).

Just proves that it IS possible to lose large amounts of weight quickly if you do it 'right'. But it also helps if you have large amounts of fat to burn through!

I have kept mine off for several years now.

But one thing I will say - I've been trying to move the 'last' 10 pounds for ages now - and it ain't easy!

Keep it up!
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    bexley5200 wrote:
    bexley5200 wrote:
    update on my weight loss ive been to see my weight nurse and i have lost another 6kg this month thats 4 stone 27kg in 3 months i have been out cycling on the road for about an hour and a half each day and enjoying the freedom, but am happy with my progress so far.and looking forward to riding in the spring.

That is very impressive; well done. Just watch out for the christmas celebrations. They always seem to add 7lbs to my waist line each year and take about 2 months to get rid of.

27kg in 3 months is quite remarkable. Remember, it will get harder the nearer you get to your ideal weight, so do not lose the enthusiasm and commitment.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    gavintc wrote:
    bexley5200 wrote:
    bexley5200 wrote:

That is very impressive; well done. Just watch out for the christmas celebrations. They always seem to add 7lbs to my waist line each year and take about 2 months to get rid of.

27kg in 3 months is quite remarkable. Remember, it will get harder the nearer you get to your ideal weight, so do not lose the enthusiasm and commitment.

+1 for the 1/2 stone weight gain over the Xmas period.
    Always say I won't and always do - already put on a kilo this last week - been
    comfort-eating during a bout of manflu :o
    Not going to deprive myself but will try not to gain as much as usual,
    then, Jan 1st is day 1 of proper training (for JOGLE in May - see sig).
    Expecting to be 106/107kgs by New Year; planning to lose 10kgs by May.
    Planning on doing something EVERY day for 4 months, rain or shine.
    Veering toward the Paleo-diet as preferred method for weight-loss
    combined with lots of steady-state, level 1-type training.
    Wish me luck.

six+pack+fail.jpg
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...