Londoners?

Comments

• surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    That's three, cheers

no really London's horrid, really struggle to understand why you want to live there, especially if you cycle.

why would you want to be surrounded by concrete and insecurity.

for me everyday is a great bike ride, through the countryside, and home is surrounded by woodland and yet I can still get every level of convenience and culture I need.

'I'm guessing you're just a little bit self obsessed and unable to see others' points of view. that's a shame'

Thats rich coming from someone who lives in London, which feels it is the epi centre. Mind better we have one cess pit than it over spilling into the country, in fact stay there it really is the best place to be.

Must go, got five fields and a woodland to commute through.
  • surreyxc wrote:
    two types of people live in London - the needy or the greedy or possibly those to stupid to see what an ugly toilet it is.

News flash if your from London no one else in the UK cares one bit about your thoughts or opinions, so why does the media constantly ram it down our throats.

I lived in Sydney a few years back on the North Shore near Mosman and Balmoral Beach and that was just about bearable, and London is a world away from that.

Suckers

Yes, two types of people (though you have described three) in a city of 10m people. You're an intelligent individual clearly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    It seems to answer my own original question that people generally fall into either those who were born there or those who have moved there for work (and from those who have replied it seems a lot of these are working in the financial sector or its support services or in the public sector as there are more jobs available in teaching etc.). Most of those who have moved there are young, free and single. It's interesting that after the initial novelty those who live there seem to avoid the nightlife of the West End. My sister has been there 3 years now and when she first arrived would regularly go to watch the latest premiers in Leicester Square or go to musicals but she also now seems to be settling into that routine of only occassional nights out in the centre and hanging around wherever it is she is living now the rest of the time (she moved out of Ilford for some reason! :wink: ).
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    surreyxc wrote:
    That's three, cheers

no really London's horrid, really struggle to understand why you want to live there, especially if you cycle.

why would you want to be surrounded by concrete and insecurity.

for me everyday is a great bike ride, through the countryside, and home is surrounded by woodland and yet I can still get every level of convenience and culture I need.

'I'm guessing you're just a little bit self obsessed and unable to see others' points of view. that's a shame'

Thats rich coming from someone who lives in London, which feels it is the epi centre. Mind better we have one cess pit than it over spilling into the country, in fact stay there it really is the best place to be.

Jeez such narrow minded aggression towards people simply because they live in a city you don't like. I think a woodland, away from humanity, is probably the best place for you!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pross wrote:
    It seems to answer my own original question that people generally fall into either those who were born there or those who have moved there for work (and from those who have replied it seems a lot of these are working in the financial sector or its support services or in the public sector as there are more jobs available in teaching etc.). Most of those who have moved there are young, free and single. It's interesting that after the initial novelty those who live there seem to avoid the nightlife of the West End. My sister has been there 3 years now and when she first arrived would regularly go to watch the latest premiers in Leicester Square or go to musicals but she also now seems to be settling into that routine of only occassional nights out in the centre and hanging around wherever it is she is living now the rest of the time (she moved out of Ilford for some reason! :wink: ).

Yes, Pretty much all cities have those two groups - those who were born there and those who moved to work there. London probably has more in %age terms of the latter because there are so many opportunities and the diversity attracts a lot of people.

One of the things to "get" is that many of the suburban centres are far better for going out / eating/parks than most towns in the UK.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Pross wrote:

Yes, Pretty much all cities have those two groups - those who were born there and those who moved to work there. London probably has more in %age terms of the latter because there are so many opportunities and the diversity attracts a lot of people.

One of the things to "get" is that many of the suburban centres are far better for going out / eating/parks than most towns in the UK.

Every town and city must be populated by people who were born there or people who moved there for work. What other categories are there? I suppose there are people who have retired to a place or people who have moved to a place for tax reasons but neither of those is likely to be applicable to large towns and cities up and down the UK.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pross wrote:

Every town and city must be populated by people who were born there or people who moved there for work. What other categories are there? I suppose there are people who have retired to a place or people who have moved to a place for tax reasons but neither of those is likely to be applicable to large towns and cities up and down the UK.

LOL headhunter ... my post was intended to gently imply what you have made explicit.

There are those who move to be workless, those who move to retire as you say.

But yes ... London is awful because the population comprises those who were born there and those who moved there for work reasons :wink:

(the OP was not implying this by the way)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    surreyxc wrote:
    two types of people live in London - the needy or the greedy or possibly those to stupid to see what an ugly toilet it is.

That's three

There must be four as I'm none of the above. after all many people live in London becasue they were born there.

I live in London becasue I like it here.

I'm guessing you're just a little bit self obsessed and unable to see others' points of view. that's a shame

+1 - think he needs a wake up call !
  • Pross wrote:
    Nah, I've got Little Venice in my head but not sure if it's right. I remember going past it lots of canal boats tied up and (I think) a street market? :?

Little Venice it is, haven't been there in Years. It's 2 miles from where I live, you are so rude for not popping by for a coffee. Well up yours if that's how you feel :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    People are different. I would hate to live in "the country" but I wouldn't want to judge someone who wants to live there.

I like cities - I was in Seattle earlier in the year and that's a smaller city, but definitely a nice city. Same trip I was in LA and it was a soulless hell hole.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    surreyxc wrote:
    T

Hi surreyxc, it seems you live in Surrey.

Surrey is a dump, isn't it? The majority of the county is made of those chav towns surrounding the M25. They're all inhabited by soulless commuters fighting for a space the train to get in an out of London. P1ssing their miserable lives away on a train spending £1000s on tickets so they can live in a scaby new build estates. The average town centre has a local's pub full of in-breds and a Yates's and/or a Wetherspoons. The posh folk go to La Tasca though, it's ever so nice. The streets are always littered with pissed underagers and teenagers pushing prams.

Live in London for a while and then visit you provincial hell hole. See it for what it is.

Your farmer's field is not countryside. It's a factory. Surrey is to countryside as Gary Glitter is to child minding.

However, I'm glad you like it. Please stay.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

I didn't say to work there full stop though, I said to work there in specific areas :wink: There is probably a third set in some places though, those who move there but work elsewhere.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Nah, I've got Little Venice in my head but not sure if it's right. I remember going past it lots of canal boats tied up and (I think) a street market? :?

Little Venice it is, haven't been there in Years. It's 2 miles from where I live, you are so rude for not popping by for a coffee. Well up yours if that's how you feel :wink:

Sorry for that, I've past in twice on my way to Paddington. The first time I was in a fair bit of pain from having my bone marrow sucked out the previous day and the second time I was seriously hungover and desperate to get out of the taxi to throw up!! :oops: :wink:
  • guinea wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:
    T

Surrey is a dump, isn't it? The majority of the county is made of those chav towns surrounding the M25. They're all inhabited by soulless commuters fighting for a space the train to get in an out of London. P1ssing their miserable lives away on a train spending £1000s on tickets so they can live in a scaby new build estates. The average town centre has a local's pub full of in-breds and a Yates's and/or a Wetherspoons. The posh folk go to La Tasca though, it's ever so nice. The streets are always littered with pissed underagers and teenagers pushing prams.

Live in London for a while and then visit you provincial hell hole. See it for what it is.

Your farmer's field is not countryside. It's a factory. Surrey is to countryside as Gary Glitter is to child minding.

LOL, quite a bit of truth in this. Lots of the mid-sized towns in the UK are my idea of hell. Soulless high-streets with nothing but second rate chains, taken over by obnoxious pi5s-heads every evening. Want a decent meal? You're right there's La Tasca 9 miles away and you only have to drink and drive to get there and back.

Seriously, people make a place and it's possible to be happy anywhere if you have that.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    guinea wrote:
    surreyxc wrote:
    T

LOL, quite a bit of truth in this. Lots of the mid-sized towns in the UK are my idea of hell. Soulless high-streets with nothing but second rate chains, taken over by obnoxious pi5s-heads every evening. Want a decent meal? You're right there's La Tasca 9 miles away and you only have to drink and drive to get there and back.

Seriously, people make a place and it's possible to be happy anywhere if you have that.

+2 If you like driving everywhere, out of town shopping centres with the same chains, and Sunday lunch at Frankie & Benny's, then theres nothing wrong with living outside of London :P
  • Pross
    I can eat at any number of places from numerous local pubs to a 5 star hotel within 2 miles of my house (yes, and even an out of town Frankie and Benny's that I've been to twice) and have a choice of two town centre shopping locations, 1 with free parking (or out of town shopping if I want) within a 10 minute drive. I also have a city centre with all the shops actually in the centre less than a minute away from my work. I can also go to an out of town multiplex cinema or another within the town centre in the same area. I don't know where this perception of life outside the big smoke comes from, I guess it is almost a mirror image of my own perception of London in some ways. I'm sure these places exist somewhere but in my experience places may have out of town shopping (London included) but still have town / city centres as well.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    You can find just as many of these chains in London as elsewhere.

Sure there are some places that lack a bit of personality - some of them are even inside the M25 - having visited Hounslow and Chingford a few times they seem to fit your description pretty well and both are London.

There are areas of London with character - as there are outside London. It depends what your interests are. If your thing is fine dining or theatre then you are best served in the capital. For myself I've never felt that the only option for eating out was Frankie and Benny's or a visit to the capital.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • You can find just as many of these chains in London as elsewhere.

Sure there are some places that lack a bit of personality - some of them are even inside the M25 - having visited Hounslow and Chingford a few times they seem to fit your description pretty well and both are London.

There are areas of London with character - as there are outside London. It depends what your interests are. If your thing is fine dining or theatre then you are best served in the capital. For myself I've never felt that the only option for eating out was Frankie and Benny's or a visit to the capital.

Disagree completely if you mean that the choice in London is as restricted to chains as in many mid-sized UK towns. Chains in London - yes loads, but also loads of independents. The latter are increasingly rare in many UK towns and in some pretty much non-existant.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Surrey is to countryside as Gary Glitter is to child minding.

Not exactly the great wilderness, but there are some very nice rural areas.

http://www.surreyhills.org/
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    For myself I've never felt that the only option for eating out was Frankie and Benny's or a visit to the capital.

Quite right, it's Nando's :wink: (kidding, I love Nando's)

I live in London but would rather live in a smaller city such as Bristol or Leeds. Work and close proximity of all our friends is what keeps us here.

Now I want to buy a house, nothing too grand, just a two bed terrace with a garden and an upstairs bathroom. Frankly it is depressing.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Weejie54 wrote:
    Surrey is to countryside as Gary Glitter is to child minding.

Not exactly the great wilderness, but there are some very nice rural areas.

http://www.surreyhills.org/

surrey lanes are great for getting out of the city to, but rural ... hmm ... lots of SUVs bouncing around en route from house - town - dump - out of town mall - superstore - dump - house etc etc.

welcome to commuter belt britain.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    You can find just as many of these chains in London as elsewhere.

Disagree completely if you mean that the choice in London is as restricted to chains as in many mid-sized UK towns. Chains in London - yes loads, but also loads of independents. The latter are increasingly rare in many UK towns and in some pretty much non-existant.

Yes London will have more choice - my point is just that most places have sufficient choice. Depends what you mean by a mid sized town but if you accept that most Londoners have to take a taxi ride to access most of this choice I doubt there are many well populated areas that don't have plenty of choice in eating out within a taxi ride. If a big part of your life is eating out then sure London is probably the place to be - for the vast majority of people the fact there might not be half a dozen Lebanese restaurants is neither here nor there.

I'm sure non cyclists in London don't miss the lack of really good cycling country on their doorstep - but personally that would be a far bigger miss than any amount of restaurants or nightlife could make up for. I've lived in London and I reckon I'd need quite a bit more money to compensate for having to move back - but I can happily accept for other people it's the place to be.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • You can find just as many of these chains in London as elsewhere.

Yes London will have more choice - my point is just that most places have sufficient choice. Depends what you mean by a mid sized town but if you accept that most Londoners have to take a taxi ride to access most of this choice I doubt there are many well populated areas that don't have plenty of choice in eating out within a taxi ride. If a big part of your life is eating out then sure London is probably the place to be - for the vast majority of people the fact there might not be half a dozen Lebanese restaurants is neither here nor there.

I'm sure non cyclists in London don't miss the lack of really good cycling country on their doorstep - but personally that would be a far bigger miss than any amount of restaurants or nightlife could make up for. I've lived in London and I reckon I'd need quite a bit more money to compensate for having to move back - but I can happily accept for other people it's the place to be.

We might have to agree to disagree. Don't accept the taxi point at all. from where I live within 20 mins walk (10 mins cycle max) I can get to Fulham, Putney, Wandsworth, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction centres. Between those places you'd be talking about literally hundreds of restaurants bars etc. at least half a dozen cinemas, theatres etc. In fact, almost as much any other city in the UK within that walking distance.

It's not just eating of course - it's the upside that goes with high population density ... most and biggest cycling clubs within a short ride for example :-)

There is a downside yes - totally agree. but your post and a number of others try to deny the upside ... which frankly is just bollocks.
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    London’s clearly not for everyone… but it’s for more people in the UK than any other place. It’s a great city, but like all great cities, it’s very expensive. You just have to swallow that if you want to live or visit here. Personally, I love the energy and cosmopolitan nature of the place. I have nothing against other parts of the country – I live in the ‘burbs because I love the countryside, too – but London is the only place to work for me. If I got the same job I have in another place, I would be stuck because there would be no choice to move.
  • surreyxc wrote:

In no way do I feel that London is the epicentre - I just like living here, and made that choice, why do you have a problem with that?

I have lived in other cities, and travelled widely - London remains my favourite place to live. It in no way resembles a cess pit - if it did I wouldn;t live here.

You clearly feel it to be the epi-centre which probably explains your bitterness, in which case, I don;t undertsand why you don;t live here yourself. If you feel that strongly why not move here?

When I lived in Devon London did seem to be the epi-centre - one reson why I came to London in the first place. These days it's not true, though Devon would probably still bore me - good for beaches and cycling, not very good for much else, including jobs.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • electric_blue
    electric_blue Posts: 195
    edited October 2010
    pintoo wrote:
    London’s clearly not for everyone… but it’s for more people in the UK than any other place. It’s a great city, but like all great cities, it’s very expensive. You just have to swallow that if you want to live or visit here. Personally, I love the energy and cosmopolitan nature of the place. I have nothing against other parts of the country – I live in the ‘burbs because I love the countryside, too – but London is the only place to work for me. If I got the same job I have in another place, I would be stuck because there would be no choice to move.

I don;t understand what's so expensive about London? My house cost £40,000 but is now still worth less than £200,000 - which is about what houses cost in Plymouth, and cheaper than much of the westcountry - where there are no jobs anyway. I let it for £700 a month which I believe is about the average nationally. I pay £300 a month rent where I live - suspect I woudn't get cheaper anywhere else. Supermarkets are the same price everywhere. Transport costs, but this is a cycling website so we all cycle don't we? And besides public transport still has to be cheaper than running a car, which is what you have to do in most other parts of the UK. And there are so many advantages - nights out are usually cheaper, and there's more of it. Good restaurants are cheaper. Speciality food shop are cheaper in London because of competition. So what is so expensive about London?
  • but if you accept that most Londoners have to take a taxi ride to access most of this choice I doubt there are many well populated areas that don't have plenty of choice in eating out within a taxi ride..

I haven't taken a taxi in the last 20 years of living in London. Everywhere I've lived in London there's been a huge choice - inexaustable - of restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. right on my doorstep - or within 15 minutes walk. I can't think of anywhere else in the UK except maybe bits of Manchester that have such a choice. and I'm just talking about affordable places.
  • surreyxc wrote:

yeah I've got a few of them on my commute - tiresome isn;t it?
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    surrey lanes are great for getting out of the city to, but rural ... hmm ... lots of SUVs bouncing around en route from house - town - dump - out of town mall - superstore - dump - house etc etc.

Bit like rural Aberdeenshire, actually. However, it's not the SUVs cutting the hay and silage, or bringing the kye in for milking.

http://www.manorfarmsurrey.com/manorfar ... /about.asp
  • casob
    casob Posts: 10
    I lived there for ten years and you dont really notice things like that untill you leave :lol: