the Cyclo cross racing post

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well done FJ.

The central league race on 25th Sept has been called off, unable to get a venue after the possible ones pulled out a few days ago. First race at MK Bowl now.
  • hammerite wrote:
    The central league race on 25th Sept has been called off, unable to get a venue after the possible ones pulled out a few days ago.

:(

I was looking forward to that too!!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • hammerite
    I was looking forward to it too. Might see what other races are on that weekend and do them instead.
  • Sussex League at Brighton looks favourite for me at the mo. Train fare only half of what I'd pay to Leighton Buzzard and back too. :)

Was planning to affiliate to the Central League this season so miffed at losing out on a points-paying race though, as there are only about 5 I can do that don't clash with Wessex events (also contesting that league, in order to get the club championship in the bag again). :(

David
  • Who'll be at Hog Hill for the CX tomorrow? Note it's not part of the London League even tho it's just near Romford. No, for the LL you'll need to travel to, ahem, Brighton...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rode the Wessex race at Oxford - Punctured front wheel on lap 1 so was dead last as I had to run back to the car for the spare wheel....then rolled the tub on lap 2 by cornering too hard :?
    I was impressed by the North Hants guys who got 'big air' up the first bank on lap 1 and took out his team mate...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Rode the Wessex race at Oxford - Punctured front wheel on lap 1 so was dead last as I had to run back to the car for the spare wheel....then rolled the tub on lap 2 by not glueing it properly :wink:
    I was impressed by the North Hants guys who got 'big air' up the first bank on lap 1 and took out his team mate...
  • Monty Dog
    I'd used tape and it's pretty obvious after the event that the shape of the rim (Mavic CXP30) isn't really suited to a fatter CX tub - it was only stuck at the edges and not down into the well of the rim. Luckily I was going up a steep bank so just came to a halt. I haven't glued tubs on for a good few years, so need to brush-up on my skills.
  • Sorry to hear that Monty, from all the pit chat I hear tub-tape is defo a Tri or TT thing. Lots of guys don't trust it for high torque situations like CX race or tight cornering on a circuit.

Looks like you'll have to go the glue route - 3 sparing coats on rim (24 hours curing team each) 2 x tub (24 hours curing time) then gobs on rim and tub and mount 'em after 5 mins when it's nice and tacky.

Hog Hill today had a lot of DNFs b/c of burping tubeless tyres and flats. Bumping from grass onto the course then off again really took it's toll. HH is much hillier than Fowlmead so it wasn't a good course for a 40 year old diesel motor like me, it was better for the 25 year old 4 pot high revving turbos. I have tons to learn and hope to find a course I really like soon. But just having tons of fun getting the experience.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Monty Dog
    That's the first time I've rolled a tub using Tufo tape - though I'd seen the last of tub glue! More annoyed at the punctured tub and hoping that Tufo Extreme sealant is as effective as they say, otherwise that's 60 Euros for a new tub.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Well I hope Beacon Ruth is OK after her off at Shrewsbury yesterday.
    Pretty heavy fall
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I'd used tape and it's pretty obvious after the event that the shape of the rim (Mavic CXP30) isn't really suited to a fatter CX tub - it was only stuck at the edges and not down into the well of the rim. Luckily I was going up a steep bank so just came to a halt. I haven't glued tubs on for a good few years, so need to brush-up on my skills.

CXP30s make great cross rims - just don't use tape!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    MikeWW wrote:
    Well I hope Beacon Ruth is OK after her off at Shrewsbury yesterday.
    Pretty heavy fall
    Thanks Mike. Nothing broken but in quite a lot of pain and discomfort. For once I was actually moving at a reasonable speed so it's pretty ironic that that was the moment I hit the deck.

How did the race go for you and your lads? Did Alex win again?

Ruth
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Thanks Mike. Nothing broken but in quite a lot of pain and discomfort. For once I was actually moving at a reasonable speed so it's pretty ironic that that was the moment I hit the deck.

How did the race go for you and your lads? Did Alex win again?

Ruth

Hope you are going to be OK for the weekend?

Chris dropped a chain on lap 1 so ended up dead last. Got back to 5th which was pretty good going
    Alex won again
    Not sure where I came but the course was a bit flat for me-could have done with some more hills.Good fun though
    Great seniors race-one of Alex's team mates won that in the end
  • Hog Hill today had a lot of DNFs b/c of burping tubeless tyres and flats. Bumping from grass onto the course then off again really took it's toll. HH is much hillier than Fowlmead so it wasn't a good course for a 40 year old diesel motor like me, it was better for the 25 year old 4 pot high revving turbos. I have tons to learn and hope to find a course I really like soon. But just having tons of fun getting the experience.

I was at Hog Hill on Sunday too... it's quite a good course for me because of all the climbing; I was 3rd Junior (and lapped my dad 3 times :lol: )
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    That's the first time I've rolled a tub using Tufo tape - though I'd seen the last of tub glue! More annoyed at the punctured tub and hoping that Tufo Extreme sealant is as effective as they say, otherwise that's 60 Euros for a new tub.

Hi Monty,

was it a Tufo tyre and the Extreme Tape? I'm asking because I'm thinking of trying this set-up on my cross bike (Citec 6000CX wheels) rather than glue and tape.
  • BeaconRuth
    MikeWW wrote:
    Hope you are going to be OK for the weekend?
    It's a bit touch and go at the moment - not unless my ribs get a bit less sore. Not sure whether to be fed up or relieved at the prospect of missing the Three Peaks - can't help feeling a bit daunted by it.
    Chris dropped a chain on lap 1 so ended up dead last. Got back to 5th which was pretty good going. Alex won again. Not sure where I came but the course was a bit flat for me-could have done with some more hills.Good fun though. Great seniors race-one of Alex's team mates won that in the end
    Congratulations to all the Welburns - you must be pleased as punch with how things are going. I guess Alex is really waiting for the first National Trophy to see where he stands amongst the other top juniors?

Ruth
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Ruth,
    I spoke to you during the Senior race as you explained to some people what had happened near your crash scene ! I only spoke really as when you were lay there for so long I feared it was going to be far worse :cry:

It was great to see you up and about :P 3 Peaks is a toughie, hope you've recovered sufficient to compete

Regards

Dave
  • BeaconRuth
    3Pears wrote:
    I spoke to you during the Senior race as you explained to some people what had happened near your crash scene ! I only spoke really as when you were lay there for so long I feared it was going to be far worse :cry:

It was great to see you up and about :P 3 Peaks is a toughie, hope you've recovered sufficient to compete
    Sorry, I spoke to so many people on Sunday and so many were showing concern or providing help, you'll have to tell me which one you were - or, better still, come and say hello at the next event. I was on the ground for so long because I came down very hard indeed and was a bit concussed. I knew pretty quickly that there was nothing seriously wrong but was struggling to stay conscious for a while. Still got very sore ribs so I'm thinking the Three Peaks might have to wait until 2012. :(

Ruth
  • Monty Dog

Hi Monty,

was it a Tufo tyre and the Extreme Tape? I'm asking because I'm thinking of trying this set-up on my cross bike (Citec 6000CX wheels) rather than glue and tape.

No, it was a Vittoria on a Mavic CXP30 rim - the Tufo flatted on lap 1! I've used Tufo extreme tape on road tubs for many years, but it we obvious after the event that the narrow vee rim bed of the rim didn't suit the tyre shape. Glad to say that the Tufo is now holding air despite the 3mm cut but Extreme sealant appears to have done the job. My first tub glueing job in a few years awaits...
  • Was anyone in Chelmsord today for the 24C, sunny eastern league CX race? Mud clearance my fat butt. Well it'll come eventually but it was a hot hour in the saddle. The young guns in the Junior class are giving the old guys a run for their money.

I battled along in the Vets as usual, not sure how I did, but unlike a road-race, there's always lots of guys around you to spar with and try to pass.
  • Was anyone in Chelmsord today for the 24C, sunny eastern league CX race? Mud clearance my fat butt. Well it'll come eventually but it was a hot hour in the saddle. The young guns in the Junior class are giving the old guys a run for their money.

I battled along in the Vets as usual, not sure how I did, but unlike a road-race, there's always lots of guys around you to spar with and try to pass.

Also did Chelmsford yesterday. 80 strong field suited me better than hog hill last week strong contenders in V50 unfortunately many better than me, not bad for third ever event, looking forward to next week. Good to have battles with others of similar ability.

A warm, sunny and dry one over in Brighton too for the London League event. Not really my favourite conditions for CX but worked hard and put in (by my modest standards) an attacking ride, although I faded a bit on the last lap or two and rolled in 72nd out of 99, 2 laps down on the winner. OK for my first event of the season, plus I'd already ridden a 23 mile TT on the Saturday afternoon which was exhausting enough!

David
  • hammerite
    I raced at Chelmsford yesterday too Frans & MJ. Looking forward to the mud, was a tad warm, dry, dusty and bumpy. Think it was my fastest cross race ever. Pre-season warm up for me as I'm due to be racing Central league from now on.

Feel a broken man at the moment, not sure where, why or how it happened (I had no racing incidents!) but I can hardly move my head at the moment, pain just below my neck in between my shoulder blades. Hope it clears up before Saturday.

Enjoyed the race though.
  • hammerite wrote:
    I raced at Chelmsford yesterday too Frans & MJ. Looking forward to the mud, was a tad warm, dry, dusty and bumpy. Think it was my fastest cross race ever. Pre-season warm up for me as I'm due to be racing Central league from now on.

Feel a broken man at the moment, not sure where, why or how it happened (I had no racing incidents!) but I can hardly move my head at the moment, pain just below my neck in between my shoulder blades. Hope it clears up before Saturday.

Enjoyed the race though.
    Ouch, hope you feel better soon. Results are up now, I was 14/26 Vets so am happy with that. I started dead last b/c I'm not affiliated and, therefore, ungridded so each person I passed was hard earned :-) http://www.easterncross.org.uk/race11-12-3.htm

Hope to see you both at Herne Hill next weekend. I'm the guy on the flat bar Giant TCX.
  • hammerite
    Ouch, hope you feel better soon. Results are up now, I was 14/26 Vets so am happy with that. I started dead last b/c I'm not affiliated and, therefore, ungridded so each person I passed was hard earned :-) http://www.easterncross.org.uk/race11-12-3.htm

Hope to see you both at Herne Hill next weekend. I'm the guy on the flat bar Giant TCX.

Thanks, not sure what's caused it, could be the shock to the system of having to dismount 30 odd times in an hour!!

I'll not be at Herne Hill next weekend, I'm skulking back to the relative safety of the Central League where all seniors, vets and ladies are thrown in together. :lol: So I'll be at MK Bowl.
  • hammerite wrote:

Enjoyed the race though.

Should be at HH myself on Sunday. Not a counting event for my local series (Wessex League) but given that the latter has its next round in Swindon on the same day which involves a longer rail journey from Winchester than Herne Hill and at twice the price, it's a no-brainer. London League it is, then.

David
  • What jersey/bike will you have Dave? I'll look for you. I'll be in the Vets group which only means I'll have an orange number b/c it's all the same start obviously.
  • What jersey/bike will you have Dave? I'll look for you. I'll be in the Vets group which only means I'll have an orange number b/c it's all the same start obviously.

I'll be in a white and orange Sotonia jersey with white MET crash helmet, slightly flashy gold Diadora cross shoes (Look, they were cheap in a sale, OK? Price and quality won out over colour ;) ) and a pearl-white Fort CX bike with blue bar tape. Hope the weather cools down a little before Sunday! Cross in warm weather ain't really my cup of tea. :(

David
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I have just joined BR so this will be my first post :D

I will also be at HH on Sunday, this is my second CX race ever, after the first in Brighton last weekend, so definitely experience gathering.

Will be on a white Cube CX bike, but not yet sure what I am going to wear :roll:

See you guys there... and good luck.