What chain lube do YOU use?

13»

Comments

• Ferenc
    Ferenc Posts: 118
    What about the wax lub for the chain? Can anyone comment or have used it?
  • damo2576
    damo2576 Posts: 236
    Curious why every one says degreasing is a pain, dont you just spray on your degreaser, leave a bit, wipe off, then lube?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Ferenc wrote:
    What about the wax lub for the chain? Can anyone comment or have used it?

wax type lubes are great but they can't compete in the constant wet with oil type lubes. Squirt and WL Clean Ride i use the bulk of time simply because i cant stand the feel and sound of abrasive gritty oil paste on the drive train - but still end up resorting to something like FL Wet / Ceramic when needs must. About to try Rock-N-Roll Extreme in the wet, see how that goes.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    damo2576 wrote:
    Curious why every one says degreasing is a pain, dont you just spray on your degreaser, leave a bit, wipe off, then lube?

well, it all depends whether you do a proper job. in my eyes, degreasing involves removing every last drop of oil and dirt from the chain until you can run the chain through a clean rag and the rag stays clean. i have never managed to do this with the chain still on the bike so end up removing the chain and soaking it in degreaser a couple of times. a royal pain is the ass IMO.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • blister pus
    it's not so bad with doing a proper chain clean, powerlinks take most of the ball-ache out, i find it's a maximum 10 minute, chain off, white spirit and two jam jars job. I wouldn't do it after every ride though unless i was forced to, but that's why i don't use oil on the chain for the most part to avoid all that
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    it's not so bad with doing a proper chain clean, powerlinks take most of the ball-ache out, i find it's a maximum 10 minute, chain off, white spirit and two jam jars job. I wouldn't do it after every ride though unless i was forced to, but that's why i don't use oil on the chain for the most part to avoid all that

yeah, i have powerlinks and i suppose it doesn't really take that long but i still hate it.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Ferenc wrote:
    About to try Rock-N-Roll Extreme in the wet, see how that goes.

Tried it, washes off after about 10 miles of proper wetness.
  • blister pus
    Neily03 wrote:
    Tried it, washes off after about 10 miles of proper wetness.

that's a bummer, i had high hopes for that one