X factor

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think they are generally OK this year (except the manufactured groups - surely not the point of the show?). Harmless Saturday night family TV, good for when you can no longer be bothered to think at the end of a long week...
  • I remembered to watch it! It's rather slow-moving isn't it?

And yeah, DDD, he is! :D
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    The Matt guy has some good songs on yuuuutube. I guess from his band? I likes
  • There's lots in the Essex local, and a few with one of his bands.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    So LiT I happened to pass a Sunday issue of the News of the World.

Apparently he was found in bed with Katie Waissel. Did he? :D

And why didn't you!? He seems a nice lad, weight'o'world in his eyes, hardworking manly stubble... not too good looking, not ugly. Just right. I thought that'd be right up your street... Jeez I might...

(Secretly I was a fan when he first performed on the show, always wanted him in the Final.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I remembered to watch it! It's rather slow-moving isn't it?

My wife and I watch it in fast-forward mode via the miracle of Sky+. We skip all the ads, most of the preamble for each act, then watch the start of the song. Occasionally, we'll listen to a good one all the way through, but mostly we listen to 30 seconds to get an idea, then fast-forward to the judges' comments.

My favourites are Rebecca, Matt and... dunno. That might be it, actually. Possibly the one who seems a bit strange (did Hard Knock Life this week).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

And why didn't you!? He seems a nice lad, weight'o'world in his eyes, hardworking manly stubble... not too good looking, not ugly. Just right. I thought that'd be right up your street... Jeez I might...

(Secretly I was a fan when he first performed on the show, always wanted him in the Final.

No, he didn't. She lied.

And I haven't, no, I've known him since we were both 7 - went to school together and live just down the road from one another. I've known him way too long and we're firmly in the friend zone.

EDIT: and he's a genuinely lovely bloke. Really genuinely lovely, very modest, very self-effacing and self-critical. Extremely polite.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    And an awesome singer. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Am I the only one to find that Cher girl more than a little 'spooky' (not in a good way).....thought so from when they showed her very first audition.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No, he didn't. She lied.

And I haven't, no, I've known him since we were both 7 - went to school together and live just down the road from one another. I've known him way too long and we're firmly in the friend zone.

EDIT: and he's a genuinely lovely bloke. Really genuinely lovely, very modest, very self-effacing and self-critical. Extremely polite.

Ah I see!

You've got that Ross and Rachael or Monica and Chandler thing going on.

You're 20something looks like 7 could be 6 or 8? I'll wait 5 years, then send you two a congratulations card out of the blue. This story has been written.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • HVRNR
    HVRNR Posts: 20
    I absolutely detest the x-factor and everything it stands for, Simon Cowell and his ilk are the spawn of the devil as far as I am concerned. Its got nothing to do with music and has more to do with celebrity, marketing and selling tabloid newspapers. If you like that fine, but lets not pretend its got anything to do with musical talent. Give me some Led Zep anyday!

Unfortunately I made the mistake of telling some friends and their wives who happen to like this shite and mentioned that I would rather put a my testicles through a meat grinder (metaphorically speaking of course!) than have to watch the x factor.

I am now regretting my honesty as I am now getting numerous e-mails and comments on facebook offering me tickets to the show. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!
    Some days you wake and immediately start to worry, nothing in particular is wrong its just the feeling that forces are quietly aligning and there will be trouble

Felt Z35
    FCN 4
  • DonDaddyD
    HVRNR wrote:
    but lets not pretend its got anything to do with musical talent.

Define musical talent?

The contestants may or may not be able to play a musical instrument, but clearly they can sing and in king, which would suggest some talent.

You may not like the show or, perhaps, the music they sing but that does not equate to them not being talented.
    Give me some Led Zep anyday!

And why is it these I hate X-factor types always use a guitar thrashing rock/metal hero to justify their complaint. Half of those guys can't sing (in key) or are classically trained and dare I say Kurt Cobain could do neither (sing or play a guitar) that well and it didn't harm him. And I like Nirvana.

:wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    but clearly they can sing

Let's not get carried away.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • There's lots in the Essex local, and a few with one of his bands.

Yeah, um, that's great.

Can you ask him to introduce me to Dannii? I need to check her height on the Internet, to see whether she'll fit into the boot of my car. And I need to buy some rope. And some padlocks. And some other stuff.

But, yeah, that introduction would be really helpful. And if you could avoid mentioning my name, or any identifying features, that would help a lot.

There's a pint of cheap lager in it for you. Promise.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    HVRNR wrote:
    I I would rather put a my testicles through a meat grinder (metaphorically speaking of course!) than have to watch the x factor.
    !
    Eh, you'ld either rather put them through a meat grinder or not, you can't qualify it with metaphorically as it renders the simile somewhat irrelevant, so put up or shut up!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    Matt's gonna win it.

Can't believe the dude hasn't made it already.

I'd buy his album, that's HUGE endorsement.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Matt's gonna win it.

I thought he was good, but his performance owed a huge debt to Travis. And let's be honest, I bet he's been banging that out in the pubs and clubs for years. Still, it obviously sounded revolutionary to the X-factor judging panel!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Matt's gonna win it.

DDD, you could check out myspace.com/darwyn if you want to hear some of the stuff he (and Ali and my brother) have written. EDIT: I suspect you may like 'give it away'...
  • tailwindhome
    Matt Cardle is the best of this year's finalists.

I hope he wins.

If for no other reason it means he won't tell Dermot that he's been on a 'journey'.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    There's lots in the Essex local, and a few with one of his bands.

Yeah, um, that's great.

Can you ask him to introduce me to Dannii? I need to check her height on the Internet, to see whether she'll fit into the boot of my car. And I need to buy some rope. And some padlocks. And some other stuff.

But, yeah, that introduction would be really helpful. And if you could avoid mentioning my name, or any identifying features, that would help a lot.

Anything freaky?
  • Greg66 wrote:
    There's lots in the Essex local, and a few with one of his bands.

Yeah, um, that's great.

So actually, an introduction 'Hey Danni this is Greg66' is the last thing you need...

A daily itinerary on the other hand...
  • DonDaddyD
    I liked him from the first audition to be honest.

Back then I simply identified him as that painter/decorator guy.

I still like Paige, Rebecca and John Adeleye (sp). Treyc is a darkhorse.

But I like that live and unplugged approach that Matt has.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    Wagner to win X factor

Now there's a campaign of subversion I could buy into.
  • The boy band seem to have caught the Ebola virus.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    The boy band seem to have caught the Ebola virus.

No such luck.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Matt done did nail it.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    Matt done did nail it.

+1
    He didn't write it though...
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    Matt done did nail it.

and again
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Asprilla wrote:
    Coincidentally the text on the front of the t-shirt I'm wearing right now says: "No I didn't see the X-factor because I'm not a farking moron"

I stand by that sentiment.

Thank you, that is now my facebook status. I may lose 'friends' over it, but I too stand by that...I thank you.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Matt done did nail it.

and again

Yep, and I *hate* Knights In White Satin.

The paedos' idols and young Aretha Franklin are putting up a fight though. So is the pi-, errr, traveller.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A