Which regular on here has top racing bragging rights?

Comments

• I for one, don't have £5000 just to get in the mix. If I did, I wouldn't be spending a bunch more on chemicals either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I forgot that I won a couple of BMX races when I was 10. In my mind it's up there with a Tdf Stage win at Superbagneres. The crowd was a little smaller ( mainly consisting of pushy parents, except mine, who didn't come, I rode to the race myself...)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    gtts left the race a few days later. Sherwin asked his worst ever question in what otherwise has been a decent tenure in sports commentary
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I won our club handicap championship last year, only thing I've ever won!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I won my first ever sprint tonight! I was in the 'slow' group on the track... I beat a couple of 12 year old kids and a few mamils who couldn't be bothered. Felt great though.

I hope and pray that one of those 12 year olds goes on to be the next Cav!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I forgot that I won a couple of BMX races when I was 10. In my mind it's up there with a Tdf Stage win at Superbagneres. The crowd was a little smaller ( mainly consisting of pushy parents, except mine, who didn't come, I rode to the race myself...)

Pah!! I was in the Keloggs BMX challenge :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a_n_t wrote:

I won mine this year, forgot about that too!
  • Garry H
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

I would have won mine, except they don't accept just "being sh*t" as a handicap.
  • I beat Russ and Dean Downing once on the grass track. I must admit I was 13 years old and they would of been about 4 and 6 years old I think so I cant really brag too much about that one !!.
  • Won my 1st race. Unfortunately it was a 4th cat race, at hillingdon, in the winter and i haven't come close since...

i do have a sub 23 '10'. does that qualify me for the BR TTT?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,952
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:

Pah, show off acting all blase about a major win :evil: :wink:
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Came 2nd in the 2007 Bemsee Rookie Thunderbike championship.

2 wheeled racing yes but it had an engine!!

I was leading the championship all the way to the last round when the 2nd placed man stepped up his game and blew me out the water!!!! :cry:

Never got a chance to get out and try and beat him again as he tragically got killed in pre season testing in 2008 :cry:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • I once beat Brad Wiggins to the traffic lights in rainford when he was in cofidis.......of course he was coming one way and I was going the other and had no idea i was racing him....but still a victory.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I once bought a bike from Ray Eden (if anybody can remember that far back). Some very decent riders in my club, although with no youngsters coming through it's all past glory.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Never won owt..........but have survived club runs with Vet racer Nigel Hay (even finished some of them in same group as him..........cos he let me)

Sort of on track, but was beaten up Mont ventoux (while wearing my Robert Miller Peugeot outfit) by a very annoying frenchman who was running and cheerily calling bonjour to me!!!!
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • I beat Jan Janssen in the Trophee D'Oisans, admittedly he was 66 at the time, but it still counts.

Oh, and i beat Michael Hutchison in a national championships race (Hillclimb, I finished 92nd)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,204
    Pirahna wrote:
    I once bought a bike from Ray Eden (if anybody can remember that far back). Some very decent riders in my club, although with no youngsters coming through it's all past glory.

saturn days?

he was a monster... still racing vets I hear?

moody bugger at times but he was ok... had a crack at making it on the continent (didn't we all) ACBB and all that

some disagreements to do with the training regime.... didn't go down to well

never got the full story out of him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I beat Nicole Cooke in the GHS National 10 mile TT in 1996 (maybe 1997). Same year that Steve Cummings won it (whom obviously I didn't beat).

Won the Welsh Junior 10 mile TT champs in 1999. Sadly I then put the bike away for 11 years when I discovered alcohol. Very disappointed with myself.

Reckon I rode up Les Deux Alpes quicker than Ullrich managed it in 1998 too, although admittedly I wasn't riding up it at the same time as him :lol:
  • Can we have an opposing thread: who has kicked your head in over the years? :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Sheptastic wrote:

i do have a sub 23 '10'. does that qualify me for the BR TTT?

Me too, how many in the team? :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    edited October 2010
    I've a few national titles to my name but I would think they could be fairly easily trumped by some on here.

I'm also an ex-television presenter, having co-hosted a music, magazine show with Jenny Powell back in the day.

Completely irrelevant but a good opening line for the creeping death of candidate introductions at seminars!
  • andylav wrote:

I'm also an ex-television presenter , having co-hosted a music, magazine show with Jenny Powell back in the day.

Are we talking about "No Limits"?
    If so, this means you've been in the same room as Jonathan King!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I've beaten Lizzie Armistead :wink: .

Surrey League handicap a couple of years ago and I think most of the blokes were just too busy enjoying the view to chase down the first group off :lol:
  • andylav

Spot on and yes, but in a professional capacity only thankfully!
  • Garry H
    andylav wrote:

What, he paid you? :wink:
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,427
    Garry H wrote:
    andylav wrote:

What, he paid you? :wink:

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andylav

Very good.

Happy to say that despite being blond haired, blue eyed and very young looking for my age (back then at least), I mustn't have been his type.

Maybe that's why my contract for the following season never materialised !
  • I saw a post from David Millar (three stage wins TDF, 2 Vuelta, British Road Champ, Silver medal at world TT champs 2010 etc, etc) the other day - he wasn't happy about the whole Contador thing...no idea if it was a one off or he's reg....but it was a post nevertheless...

...do i now win something by proxy? I'm happy to champion him in the absence of anything meaningfull by myself..!
  • oh drat! wrong David...it was from a 'DavidMiller'...not David Millar....he was very angry though, at least i got that bit right... that has to count for something!

DavidMiller Posted Thu 30 Sep, 1:24 pm BST Flag as inappropriate
    Joke, absolute joke. I'm so angry about this. There is clear evidence that this is a mistake. Have they not learned from the Fuyu case?? It is 400 times under the legal allowed limit!!!! Now, I truly believe that the authorities do not care about the sport but are just massively over compensating for their failures in catching the real drug cheats of the past. Depressing.

damn you DavidMiller...! thought i had the all time winner...unless of course you've done a bit...?? come on bail me out here...