Which regular on here has top racing bragging rights?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,153
    I beat Chris Boardman once.

in a pub quiz
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface is National Circuit Race Series Champ, a Track national record record holder and gold medallist plus more...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,428
    thel33ter wrote:
    Rundfahrt made me lol :lol: I must spend too much time in the MTB section :wink:

I've lived in Denmark too long to more than giggle slightly at rundfart (as they spell it here).

You may, however, be interested to know that Cav is considered the master of the slutspurt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    You may, however, be interested to know that Cav is considered the master of the slutspurt.

What, more a master than Tiger Woods?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • You might have heard of me. I claimed 5th place in the North London Juvenile Criterium Championships. In 1989. There were 6 riders. The first two lapped the rest of us.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

What, more a master than Tiger Woods?

Indubitably so. I've never seen Woods travel faster than a brisk walk.

We also have slutspurts in high street shops here:

slutspurt.jpg

Not sure, but the bloke on the right looks a little like Riis on getting a phonecall from Contador....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Didn't Dennis win the Tour in 1903 or something? 8)

(I've done a few big things in Paracycling this past year - including riding at the World's, winning the UK National Circuit Race Series, being a Irish record holder, etc. Still have a long way to go....)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,574
    Waaaaaaaaay back, I did a short film for (of all things) the Government Health Department, in which I played a racing cyclist. Turned up to shoot footage in the biggest local road race at the time, with my own film crew and 2 vans.... nobody had a clue who I was. On start line, with major hangover from crew party the night before, still having coffee and cigarette. Cycled out of camera shot and pulled over. Into the van, drove 200 km to the finish line with a nice lunch on the way. Had the make-up artist fix it so I really looked like I'd raced the whole thing, went a few hundred yards up the road then sprinted back over the finish line, big salute and all, about 20 minutes before the real riders turned up. The crowd had been worded up to be enthusiastic.

Only bike race I've ever won.. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,204
    iainf72 wrote:
    Not me. I've never entered a race and never will.

Because that's how I roll.

good lord
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So so far we've got GtTS and Brian Smith but the rest of the Bike Radar squad is looking a bit thin.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Sorry but I'm not regular enough at my age for this kind of thing and I cant tell a proper story like the one wheelspinner posted . :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2010
    Sorry but I'm not regular enough at my age for this kind of thing and I cant tell a proper story like the one wheelspinner posted . :D

Could you not try and embellish at least one of your wins for us though?
  • mididoctors
    Sorry but I'm not regular enough at my age for this kind of thing and I cant tell a proper story like the one wheelspinner posted . :D

you have had the opposite lost the race by going the wrong way?.... must have dined out on that tale a fair few times :lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    be able to brag how you LOST a stage in the tdf is quite something no?

in someways better than winning a race elsewhere thats for sure

:lol:

I won the dover clasic....
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I was onceon the TV at the front of the milk race on climb of Caerphilly mountain in last stage, just behind MAlcolm Elliot and in front of a Czech rider, but alas i was not in the race I was on way to watch the race and was mistakenly waved through by a policeman, dont think eiher rider was impressed as I had just left home they had done 95 miles hard race !!
    I also got lots of applause from thousands of spectators in the town ( used to have large crowds then) including my aunty who thought I was in the race!!
    Also rode Pinarlello fondo and finished just behind Indurain two years ago :D He is one big guy for ex TDF winner.
    Still trying to race on track and road as an oldie.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    west yorkshire schools ten pin bowling league champions 7 consecutive seasons .....

.... i rode my bike there and back

(obviously used a house ball ... 12lb ... large thumb)
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My Boss thinks that the Grand Trophee Brevet d'Or certificate from last year's Marmote that is on my office wall, means I actually won. I won't disillusion him, it is the only thing I've ever done that he is even slightly impressed with.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

You're disqualified from this thread anyway! Tested +ve for traces of polkadot.... :wink:
  • Rach E
    Rach E Posts: 110
    I won the World Brompton Championships this year. You can't get a more competitive race than that :lol:
    World Brompton Champion 2010; new to time trialling in 2011.
  • mididoctors
    Rach E wrote:
    I won the World Brompton Championships this year. You can't get a more competitive race than that :lol:

actually not to be totally sniffed at

I heard Heras came second one yr :lol:
  • Rach E
    Rach E wrote:

Last year Heras just beat Michael Hutchison (it was down to thousandths of a second) and Julia Shaw won the women's title. She's at the Commonwealths this year so I seized by chance on Sunday :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Rach E wrote:
    Rach E wrote:

Last year Heras just beat Michael Hutchison (it was down to thousandths of a second) and Julia Shaw won the women's title. She's at the Commonwealths this year so I seized by chance on Sunday :D

Major respect, but what's the women's dress code?

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    Rach E wrote:
    Rach E wrote:

do you get a rainbow jersey?
  • Rach E
    CalvJones - Women's dress policy is the same as the men's - this is me in full gritted flight on Sunday: http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/vie ... d=13715639 (I am getting SPDs next year as well!!).

mididoctors - I think I'm going to customise the Brompton I won with rainbow stripes.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Rach E wrote:
    CalvJones - Women's dress policy is the same as the men's - this is me in full gritted flight on Sunday: http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/vie ... d=13715639 (I am getting SPDs next year as well!!).

mididoctors - I think I'm going to customise the Brompton I won with rainbow stripes.

Great race-face there :-)

Toe-clips banned I assume? Your right foot looks to be almost off the pedal - marginal gains :wink:
  • you have had the opposite lost the race by going the wrong way?.... must have dined out on that tale a fair few times :lol:

Due to a fragile mental state I stay away from the wrong-way story as much as possible :roll: , the interesting part of that episode was what happened afterwards . :evil:
  • I won a round of the east yorkshire road race league this year and got 5th in another race.

I thought i was doing ok until i got moved up a category :shock:
  • mididoctors
    you have had the opposite lost the race by going the wrong way?.... must have dined out on that tale a fair few times :lol:

Due to a fragile mental state I stay away from the wrong-way story as much as possible :roll: , the interesting part of that episode was what happened afterwards . :evil:

well you have started you might as well finish

no point being a big tease...... :lol:

come on get it out... you know you want too :lol:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Rach E wrote:

You beat Heras? Well done. Something comical about the way he accepted his fate
  • Rach E
    I didn't beat Heras as he wasn't there this year (although his Spanish "peloton" were all there in force)! And I was the female champ, not the male!

Julia Shaw won the ladies last year, but she's in Delhi at the moment for the Commonwealths so couldn't make it this year.