Womens road race spoiler

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Someone needs to tell the winner that the men's road race is tomoro. Doesn't look like a woman!
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Someone needs to tell the winner that the men's road race is tomoro. Doesn't look like a woman!

yeah she has wiggins style sideburns :wink:
  • FJS wrote:
    Johansson hit by some dumb spectator with a camera in full sprint

It looked like she was getting squeezed into the barriers as they approached the line so had to switch round to the left side of Vos.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:

It looked like she was getting squeezed into the barriers as they approached the line so had to switch round to the left side of Vos.
    yes that too, but there was a spectator elbow involved as well
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    FJS wrote:
    Very good and smart try by Cooke - great brave long sprint from Vos - Italians again away with it

4th time 2nd for Vos - she really needs a good climbing team mate

Don't understand why Pooley didn't even try in that last round on the climb, looked like she was easily the fastest uphill
    Agree good try by Cooke as she knew she is not fit enough to win in all out sprint.
    Don't think Vos needs climbing help, she needs to know when to go for it as she went to early again and gae perfect lead out.
  • FJS
    Don't think Vos needs climbing help, she needs to know when to go for it as she went to early again and gae perfect lead out.

Perhaps, but I don't think in this case it was a tactical mistake - it was realistic to believe the sprint would have to be started really early to catch Arndt and Cooke - and still they were only caught in the last 100 meter. Vos might have won the bunch sprint for bronze had she started 100 meter later, or just caught Cooke on the line. With so many silver medals already it's understandable she didn't settle for the bunch sprint bronze.
    What I mean with climbing helper is not so much help during the climbs, but someone who can get over the hills and would have been able to lead her out, or to work with in a situation like last year. Van Vleuten could maybe do that, but her puncture at the foot of the last climb was pretty significant.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:

She looks like a long lost Downing brother.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Whoever edited the Eurosport highlights must have been drunk. Showed lots of nothing happening, then skipped the final climbs
  • FJS
    William H wrote:
    Whoever edited the Eurosport highlights must have been drunk. Showed lots of nothing happening, then skipped the final climbs
    Nothing happened on the final climbs ;)
  • Pokerface
    That's 2 road races now that have come down to a sprint this year in the World's.

Really starting to wonder if Cav has a shot at this after all.

Of course - I think there are much stronger men (compared to the women and kiddies) that will be able to get away from the group and make it stick. And hopefully some teams that are willing to work a little harder than we saw today.

(Although was impressed with the way that Pooley dropped back to make sure Cooke had a tow up some of the climbs)
  • Pokerface
    FJS wrote:

Just watched the replay - and she definitely got smacked in the head by a spectator. Although she was also dangerously close to the barrier at the time.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Pokerface wrote:
    That's 2 road races now that have come down to a sprint this year in the World's.
    Sprints yes but hardly a bunch sprint. They have been select groups with plenty of all rounders. I can't see Cav and Greipel being there. Maybe Farrar. More likely it'll be Pozzato, Freire, Kolobnev or Gilbert sprinting.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

She looks like a long lost Downing brother.

I was thinking more Tylers' lost twin

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-ro ... tos/143845
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Pokerface
    I guess they can't ll be babes like Lizzie Armistead - who came in a very respectable 9th place. Thought she might have a shot at this but not close enough to the front on the final sprint.

Sprints yes but hardly a bunch sprint. They have been select groups with plenty of all rounders. I can't see Cav and Greipel being there. Maybe Farrar. More likely it'll be Pozzato, Freire, Kolobnev or Gilbert sprinting.

Yes- I agree. Or maybe a good one for Thor after all - guys that do well in those slightly uphill sprint finishes.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Christ, look at her thighs. Or don't. Need more pictures of bottom left. I'm sure she deserves recognition for a sterling job done as a domestique.

Hopefully I last longer than the first lap of the men's race.
  • FJS wrote:
    William H wrote:
    Whoever edited the Eurosport highlights must have been drunk. Showed lots of nothing happening, then skipped the final climbs
    Nothing happened on the final climbs ;)

Well, the group was a lot smaller when they rejoined - and Cooke and Arndt were away.

They also stuck an advert break in the last 2km
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Has anyone worked out why Pooley didn't attack yet? Did GB really go into that race with a fixed plan to support Cooke at all cost? Sure, it almost worked, but if I were Pooley I'd be feeling a little miffed about now.
  • Pokerface
    afx237vi wrote:
    Has anyone worked out why Pooley didn't attack yet? Did GB really go into that race with a fixed plan to support Cooke at all cost? Sure, it almost worked, but if I were Pooley I'd be feeling a little miffed about now.

I watched the whole thing - and she attacked several times and followed a lot of wheels. But I think it became clear that she wasn't going to be able to get away as the climbs were too short.

There must have been a back-up plan that she would support Cooke instead if she didn't think she could win. Cooke being the better sprinter of the two (apparantly).

Every time she went out - she got dragged back (whether alone or in a small group). Although went she got away in a small break with Armistead - I thought that one would stick.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    OK, cool, I only watched the butchered version on Eurosport a bit earlier, and it looked like she was just following attacks and then sitting up.
  • Watched the recorded full Beeb coverage. Absolutely stunning race.

Well done the Beeb.

What a finish - fantastic. Which trade team do the Canadian girls ride for ? That was a serious effort they both put in to get the Arndt and Cooke into spitting distance.
  • FJS
    William H wrote:
    Well, the group was a lot smaller when they rejoined - and Cooke and Arndt were away.
    Cooke and Arndt attacked just at the top of the second climb - no attacks on the climbs in the last lap themselves.

With hindsight it would have been beneficial for Cooke if Pooley would have attacked or at least powered up the first climb in the last lap - it might have widened the gaps and prevented the bunch coming back in the last 2kms. That small chase group of 4 or so where Vos had to do most of the work wasn't really getting any closer to Cooke and Arndt. Well, hindsight...
  • FJS wrote:
    William H wrote:
    Cooke and Arndt attacked just at the top of the second climb - no attacks on the climbs in the last lap themselves.

With hindsight it would have been beneficial for Cooke if Pooley would have attacked or at least powered up the first climb in the last lap - it might have widened the gaps and prevented the bunch coming back in the last 2kms. That small chase group of 4 or so where Vos had to do most of the work wasn't really getting any closer to Cooke and Arndt. Well, hindsight...

A very valid point.

Adding to it - Pokerface - if I was racing up a short sharp climb I am not quite sure what somebody coming within a couple of bike lengths alongside and looking at me does for me (re your idea that Pooley was working for Cooke). This was no Alpine ascent. Your description of the attacks by Pooley and then Pooley & Armistead were great. I thought that break of 7 with Pooley and Armistead in it was going to stick. Vos & Johansson were there.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    What a finish - fantastic. Which trade team do the Canadian girls ride for ? That was a serious effort they both put in to get the Arndt and Cooke into spitting distance.
    +1
    i noticed the two canadians chasing hard as well. what were they thinking of?
    ...neither finished even near the top ten and yet towed the bunch for long enough to gift italy the win.

a real shame for cooke and arndt - it denied them the gold and silver medals.
  • FJS
    dcj wrote:
    +1
    ...neither finished even near the top ten and yet towed the bunch for long enough to gift italy the win.

I'm sure Italy would have chased if the Canadians wouldn't have pulled, so I don't think it has had a real effect on Cooke and Arndt - But yes, not immediately clear what the Canadian's plan was there
  • FJS wrote:
    dcj wrote:

I'm sure Italy would have chased if the Canadians wouldn't have pulled, so I don't think it has had a real effect on Cooke and Arndt - But yes, not immediately clear what the Canadian's plan was there
    That chasing group was 2 x Canadians,1 x It 1 x Swe, 1 x NL, 1 x GB, 1 x Lith.
    No more Italians there !
    That's why the Italian team could not have taken up the chase !

The later group tagged onto the back for long enough for the Canadians and Lithuanian to merge within their number and EP to get to the back of it, whilst Vos dragged the Bronzini and Johansson away to put 3 clear seconds into them for the line.

Would Johansson have beaten Vos if Vos hadn't put her up against the barriers ? Looks like she (J) is coming past her(V).
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    I'm sure Italy would have chased if the Canadians wouldn't have pulled, so I don't think it has had a real effect on Cooke and Arndt
    :shock: but this isn't a casual sportive, this is real racing

so close to the finish everyone in contention is go to be more or less on the limit.

being gifted 30 seconds recovery time - while gaining 2 temporary team italy domestiques - is worth a world championship that was only settled in the last 100m.

one thing seems certain don't you think: cooke will be upset with 'canadia' when she views the tapes?
  • dcj wrote:
    I'm sure Italy would have chased if the Canadians wouldn't have pulled, so I don't think it has had a real effect on Cooke and Arndt
    :shock: but this isn't a casual sportive, this is real racing

so close to the finish everyone in contention is go to be more or less on the limit.

being gifted 30 seconds recovery time - while gaining 2 temporary team italy domestiques - is worth a world championship that was only settled in the last 100m.

one thing seems certain don't you think: cooke will be upset with 'canadia' when she views the tapes?

+1
    Outcome changed.
  • FJS
    hotoph88 wrote:
    That chasing group was 2 x Canadians,1 x It 1 x Swe, 1 x NL, 1 x GB, 1 x Lith.
    No more Italians there !
    That's why the Italian team could not have taken up the chase !

The later group tagged onto the back for long enough for the Canadians and Lithuanian to merge within their number and EP to get to the back of it, whilst Vos dragged the Bronzini and Johansson away to put 3 clear seconds into them for the line.).
    I'm not sure which chase you're talking about. I assumed you meant the Canadians chasing in the last 2 kms when the bigger bunch joined the initial chase group of Vos, Johansson, Guderzo, Whitten and Pooley? There was only one Canadian girl there, and the Canadians only started pulling in the last kms when the peloton had joined that smaller chase group. In that peoloton there were several Italian girls, who could have pulled for Bronzini if the Canadians hadn't. They did so in the last 700 meters.

hotoph88 wrote:
    Would Johansson have beaten Vos if Vos hadn't put her up against the barriers ? Looks like she (J) is coming past her(V).
    Perhaps, we'll never know. It's unlikely Johansson would have beaten Bronzini though
  • FJS
    dcj wrote:

I don't know what recovery time you mean. Bunch joins chase group - domestiques from the bunch go to front and pull - whether they're Italian or Canadian domestiques, I don't know where those 30 seconds would come from.

I think both Cooke and Arndt will be upset, but that strange Canadian tactic will be very low down the list of things upsetting her - it's every rider's right to ride around with strange tactics, and like I said I don't think it changed the dynamics of the race at all - there was a whole bunch to do the work when the Canadians started