Ryder Cup

13»

Comments

• Pross wrote:
    This is getting seriously nerve wracking. Don't know how anyone can hit a golf ball straight under this sort of pressure!!

Absolutely no idea either, then again I can't hit one straight at the best of times. :? :?
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    It's odd how golf like this is utterly captivating to read via the text commentary on the bbc website whilst at work (or on the radio) but is mind numbingly boring to watch. Yet I love watching cricket which most people think is even more boring...

But I'll definitely watch the celebrating on the highlights! :) (Just waiting for it to come on iplayer as our sky dish is out of action behind scaffolding at the moment)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I'm not really a fan of golf. I'll watch the last nine holes of a major if there's a Brit in contention, but that's about it. Some of the European team were new names to me, let alone the Americans. (I thought Rickie Fowler was in Eastenders)

But this is consistently one of the best events in sport. It always has great drama, every shot crucial. Fantastic stuff. Great atmosphere. This year was the most tense since Langer missed that put back in 1991. I loved it.

As an English born & bred, half Welsh, Cardiff resident who works in Newport, I'm proud of our hosting of the event. Sure it rains sometimes, but Friday was in the top three downpours this year.

A bonus is, that even though I only play golf about once a year, I have an invitation to spend a weekend playing Celtic Manor next month - the proper course too. I've played on the other one before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    completely agree with RichN95 ^^ - even my wife has sat and watched the highlights every night with me - fantastic!! - what a great event!

the difference matchplay has is amplified cos it's a team event and then the crowd are all together in support of one of the teams - absolutely great.

the last hole for Graham Mc - what pressure but he held it together and won it!
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    i watched most of it and thought the whole thing was brilliant. Fortunate to have two (genuine) sick days, today and Friday, so nowt else to do. The standard of play and sportmanship was exceptional. Apart from when Overton made a @rse of himself .

The couse held up very well, incredible that it was playable so soon after so much rain.

The main thing wrong with playing a month later, apart from October being the wettest month, it obviously gets dark sooner, so when the rain stopped, they couldn't make the most of it

Hope it returns to September, or even sooner, next time in Scotland
  • Pross wrote:
    This is getting seriously nerve wracking. Don't know how anyone can hit a golf ball straight under this sort of pressure!!

Never watched a golf match on tv before and only watched this as it is local to me and the biggest thing in the area for years. But I have to say it was really enjoyable. Nail biting finish. Might even watch it again in 2 years time.
    I thought the venue worked out well. Monday was a simply glorious day weather wise. Felt like a summer day.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I'm not a big golf fan but occassionally the final round of a major throws up some exciting finishes. However, I always enjoy the Ryder Cup and I think that matchplay in general is a far more exciting version of the game for a spectator.