Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Ryder Cup

ProssPross Posts: 29,599
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
With this now starting right on my doorstep (most of my regular ride routes are closed off as they run adjacent to the course or hotel :x ) I was just wondering if anyone on here is going (I know a few have strong anti-golf opinions!). It's getting silly around here, a hotel and restaurant down the road from me has been booked out by Samuel L Jackson and I have heard from 2 completely seperate sources that a local couple who booked a room at the Celtic Manor when the event was first announced have sold their room on after an approach from the hotel. The price? Paying off their mortgage of over £60k - the new guest rumoured to be a Mr. D Beckham, wish I'd booked a room back then! I can't help feel there's going to be a lot of people disappointed when they see what a dump Newport is though but at least Caerleon will be 'quaint' for our American visitors. Loads of flags all over the area with cheesy quotes on them. I'll be working from home once the actual match starts as traffic is already getting busy!
«13

Posts

  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    The GLC version is better, at least they know what they are talking about rather than the other pair who witter on about Llanfair PG which is 200 miles away! Both gave me a good chuckle when I first saw them though. :lol:
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    would that be Llanfair in the Vale of Glamorgan?


    If so, I suggest you either: -
    1. Get a better map
    2. Reprogramme the Sat Nav
    3. Get someone else to drive


    as Google maps suggest the 2 are 28 miles apart. :D
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,513
    spen666 wrote:
    would that be Llanfair in the Vale of Glamorgan?


    If so, I suggest you either: -
    1. Get a better map
    2. Reprogramme the Sat Nav
    3. Get someone else to drive


    as Google maps suggest the 2 are 28 miles apart. :D

    stop trying to be clever spen, it doesn't work - Llanfair PG in on Anglesey.
  • laughed out loud at the 'premier inn where you probably stayed'

    as it was sooo true !

    :lol::lol:
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    spen666 wrote:
    would that be Llanfair in the Vale of Glamorgan?


    If so, I suggest you either: -
    1. Get a better map
    2. Reprogramme the Sat Nav
    3. Get someone else to drive


    as Google maps suggest the 2 are 28 miles apart. :D

    No, as Softlad points out Llanfair PG (or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch to give it its full name) is on Anglesey so I think my map reading skills are up to scratch :wink:
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    softlad wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    would that be Llanfair in the Vale of Glamorgan?


    If so, I suggest you either: -
    1. Get a better map
    2. Reprogramme the Sat Nav
    3. Get someone else to drive


    as Google maps suggest the 2 are 28 miles apart. :D

    stop trying to be clever spen, it doesn't work - Llanfair PG in on Anglesey.

    If trying to find out where somewhere referred to actually is, is clever, then I agree.

    I hade never heard of the place and looked it up on Google maps. The result that came back as the nearest match was the place in the Vale of Glamorgan. Hence my question.

    Or are we not able to ask questions now and have to remain as ignorant as you appear?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    You've never heard of Llanfair PG :shock: you haven't lived :lol: I actually passed it for the first time recently and it's hard to imagine how such an insignificant place was given such a big name!
  • Been to the place with the long name "down by the river over the bridge and behind the big tree on the right" or whatever it means. Got a platform pass for the train station that didnt have any trains going through it. Geography trip in about 1985.

    Back to the Golf, am umming and ahhing about booking the Friday off to watch in the pub with a few mates. Did it last time and had a great day, whole pub was packed with drunk blokes cheering on Europe as if they had invaded us :P
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Pross wrote:
    You've never heard of Llanfair PG :shock: you haven't lived :lol: I actually passed it for the first time recently and it's hard to imagine how such an insignificant place was given such a big name!

    If you had put the full name, not the abbreviation you used, I would have known exactly where you were. I have never seen it abbreviated as that
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    It's one of the normal abbreviations although some people use just Llanfair (a bit silly as we have already established there are lots of them in Wales) or Llanfairpwyll. Plus it is mentioned in full in the video being referred to :wink:
  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    As you've all demonstrated that you have a firm grasp on Geography, can we move on to English Language.

    How are we to prononuce..........
    Pross wrote:
    Celtic Manor

    Auntie Beeb (who must be obeyed in all matters relating to pronunciation) are using a hard C - ie Keltic.

    But when they talk about the Glaswegian football team it becomes a soft C - Seltic.

    So, who's right?
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    It's with a hard c as in the Celtic race of people, I've never been sure why the football team is a soft c. Also, the Beeb just call it Celtic Manor but locals seem to always call it THE Celtic Manor (or us regulars just call it the Celtic) :wink:
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Bronzie wrote:
    As you've all demonstrated that you have a firm grasp on Geography, can we move on to English Language.

    How are we to prononuce..........
    Pross wrote:
    Celtic Manor

    Auntie Beeb (who must be obeyed in all matters relating to pronunciation) are using a hard C - ie Keltic.

    But when they talk about the Glaswegian football team it becomes a soft C - Seltic.

    So, who's right?

    Celtic Manor = "some hole in Wales"

    Celtic FC = Fenian Terrorist supporting scum
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    PS forgot the smilie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:



    I wasn't being serious folks
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,513
    spen666 wrote:

    Or are we not able to ask questions now and have to remain as ignorant as you appear?

    ask away fella - but if you had typed Llanfair PG into Google, it would have come up straight away. Fortunately, we're not all as ignorant as you appear...why do I get the feeling that you don't like it when someone beats you at your own game... :)
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    softlad wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

    Or are we not able to ask questions now and have to remain as ignorant as you appear?

    ask away fella - but if you had typed Llanfair PG into Google, it would have come up straight away. Fortunately, we're not all as ignorant as you appear...why do I get the feeling that you don't like it when someone beats you at your own game... :)

    I did type it into Google maps and it did not come up. !!!!!!!!!
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • Back to the Golf, am umming and ahhing about booking the Friday off to watch in the pub with a few mates. Did it last time and had a great day, whole pub was packed with drunk blokes cheering on Europe as if they had invaded us

    Friday is forecast to be a washout of torrential rain. Which might actually make the golf more interesting to watch (if they play).
  • hopefully they wont, or my 40minute journey turns into around 2hrs. its been mad enough as it is and its only been practise days!

    on a positive side, its mad hearing the stories of the big names being spotted

    off the top of my head....
    michael jordon shopping in cardiff city centre today
    tom cruise in kfc...? dunno how legible that is lol
    tigger and lee westwood in one of the local kebabies
    2 young yank golfers taking vip courtesy bimmers through average speed cameras set up on the M4 around newport. 50mph limit in force and apparantly they were doing over a ton

    i got cut up by one of the courtesy bimmers today on my way home from work and just kept my car pinned to his rear bumper, dunno if it was a player in it or not

    ofcourse my biggest concern right now is what if the ryder cup is a target for these recent terror plots i've been hearing about. could seriously censored up my weekend
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • heres another for good leisure...
    Samuel L Jackson spotted slurping a pint of strongbow in the cross hands!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • lemon63lemon63 Posts: 253
    Pross, I'm also [email protected]@ed off about the roads around the Celtic being closed for the RC, it's buggered up my commute to work. Have been driving to work every day (just as well considering the weather this week) and the M4 in the morning has actually been quieter than normal.
    As far as celebrity spotting goes around here, my missus said she saw Ronnie Corbutt in Mothercare yesterday getting some golf shoes and Ant & Dec were in the Harvester last night. :wink:
  • acidstrato wrote:
    heres another for good leisure...
    Samuel L Jackson spotted slurping a pint of strongbow in the cross hands!

    ...it couldnt be him...he drinks Lager...hence the middle 'L'................
  • PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
    lemon63 wrote:
    Pross, I'm also [email protected]@ed off about the roads around the Celtic being closed for the RC, it's buggered up my commute to work. Have been driving to work every day (just as well considering the weather this week) and the M4 in the morning has actually been quieter than normal.
    As far as celebrity spotting goes around here, my missus said she saw Ronnie Corbutt in Mothercare yesterday getting some golf shoes and Ant & Dec were in the Harvester last night. :wink:

    ....that reminds me, need to go to Sports Direct to buy some nappies.....
  • lemon63 wrote:
    Pross, I'm also [email protected]@ed off about the roads around the Celtic being closed for the RC, it's buggered up my commute to work. Have been driving to work every day (just as well considering the weather this week) and the M4 in the morning has actually been quieter than normal.
    As far as celebrity spotting goes around here, my missus said she saw Ronnie Corbutt in Mothercare yesterday getting some golf shoes and Ant & Dec were in the Harvester last night. :wink:

    Throw some tacks on the roads then , then watch the upraor on golfing forums
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • -spider--spider- Posts: 2,548
    Yee Ha. It's started!!!

    -Spider-
  • Play now suspended due to heavy rain (and it's been chucking it down all night apparently). I reckon the place will be like the Somme in a couple of days if this continues.
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    It's certainly very wet around here. It's stopped raining in Cardiff though so hopefully play will start up the road in an hour or so.
  • Big girls blouses, rain never hurt anyone , fair enough if there is lightining
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,599
    Bit hard hitting a ball out of a foot of water in a bunker though :wink:
Sign In or Register to comment.