No, but possible helps!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Pross wrote:
    No, but possible helps!

Shouldn't hit it in the bunker then.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    True - obviously I wouldn't but these boys aren't that good to be honest :lol:
  • dano
    dano Posts: 7
    Pross wrote:
    With this now starting right on my doorstep (most of my regular ride routes are closed off as they run adjacent to the course or hotel :x ) I was just wondering if anyone on here is going (I know a few have strong anti-golf opinions!). It's getting silly around here, a hotel and restaurant down the road from me has been booked out by Samuel L Jackson and I have heard from 2 completely seperate sources that a local couple who booked a room at the Celtic Manor when the event was first announced have sold their room on after an approach from the hotel. The price? Paying off their mortgage of over £60k - the new guest rumoured to be a Mr. D Beckham, wish I'd booked a room back then! I can't help feel there's going to be a lot of people disappointed when they see what a dump Newport is though but at least Caerleon will be 'quaint' for our American visitors. Loads of flags all over the area with cheesy quotes on them. I'll be working from home once the actual match starts as traffic is already getting busy!

Take a look at this llink...
    http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/beckham.asp
  • And Pross, the story about Samuel L Jackson renting out the Priory isn't true either. Apparently the Priory think they are losing business due to the rumour and aren't happy.
  • Tardeo
    Tardeo Posts: 1
    Check out the Yoda Ryder cup t shirts http://www.backinthedayclothing.co.uk/tee-yoda
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Was down that way the other day. Glad I'm not back down until Tuesday.

Whenever I stay overnight I go for a run up Cats Ash Road/hill. Not sure I could cycle up it though...
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ......which golfers ride a bike?
  • Play now suspended due to heavy rain (and it's been chucking it down all night apparently). I reckon the place will be like the Somme in a couple of days if this continues.

Jolly glad I didn't book the day off.
  • Holding the tournament in Wales in October, hardly the shock of the century it's been spoiled by the bloomin' rain.

Hope it holds off but the forecast is not good, unless you like water-skiing. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Mothyman wrote:

Well, he's an ex-golfer these days, but David Feherty, the Irish former pro, now commentator on TV is a very keen cyclist. He took it up to avoid drinking himself to death apparently, or something. Had quite a crash too at one point, got knocked off in Texas (he lives there) by a car. Made for some funny reading in his columns.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • All square at 6 all.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Holding the tournament in Wales in October, hardly the shock of the century it's been spoiled by the bloomin' rain.

yeah, cos the rest of the UK has been really dry, hasn't it...? :?
  • softlad wrote:
    Holding the tournament in Wales in October, hardly the shock of the century it's been spoiled by the bloomin' rain

Bit touchy aren't we!

Wales does tend to get more than its fair share of the wet stuff.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    softlad wrote:
    Holding the tournament in Wales in October, hardly the shock of the century it's been spoiled by the bloomin' rain.

I think the point was a valid one. No need to spit the dummy quite so hard.

In the past, the Ryder cup has been played slightly earlier in the year and even over on mainland Europe. Both of these were options open to the powers that be which were not used, and would have increased the chances of clement weather.

I would finish with a patronising and Ill informed emoticon if I didn't find them moronic.
  • softlad
    jim453 wrote:
    softlad wrote:

In the past, the Ryder cup has been played slightly earlier in the year and even over on mainland Europe. Both of these were options open to the powers that be which were not used, and would have increased the chances of clement weather.

I would finish with a patronising and Ill informed emoticon if I didn't find them moronic.

fck me, there are some proper princesses on here.....all that's needed is a bit of sarcasm and it all kicks off....

I was simply pointing out that the whole of the UK has also been as wet as Wales has recently - which effectively makes the original comment rather meaningless. It wasn't even that original, as I think that point was first made in one of the nationals and simply reproduced here. It wasn't defensive, it wasn't patronising - it was just a simple statement of fact.

and Jim - if you ever do find a patronising and ill-informed emoticon, you can shove it up yer ar5e... :)
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Mothyman wrote:

Paul Casey is a rider - mountain more than road, he hangs out with the Atherton family. David Feherty who used to play and commentates now road rides a bunch. Both cart road bikes around on tour. And Camilo Villegas is meant to race a bit back in Columbia where he's from.

I reckon there's a few more too.
  • Pross
    This is getting seriously nerve wracking. Don't know how anyone can hit a golf ball straight under this sort of pressure!!
  • Pross
    ChrisSA wrote:
    Was down that way the other day. Glad I'm not back down until Tuesday.

Whenever I stay overnight I go for a run up Cats Ash Road/hill. Not sure I could cycle up it though...

It's a good climb though not quite as hard as it looks. The nationals went up there about 6 times a few years back.
  • Pross

Hope it holds off but the forecast is not good, unless you like water-skiing. :lol:

117mm monthly average rainfall in these parts during October and 52.2mm has fallen during this match so it's hardly predicatable that 45% of the monthly total would fall in 3 days!
  • Pross
    dano wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    With this now starting right on my doorstep (most of my regular ride routes are closed off as they run adjacent to the course or hotel :x ) I was just wondering if anyone on here is going (I know a few have strong anti-golf opinions!). It's getting silly around here, a hotel and restaurant down the road from me has been booked out by Samuel L Jackson and I have heard from 2 completely seperate sources that a local couple who booked a room at the Celtic Manor when the event was first announced have sold their room on after an approach from the hotel. The price? Paying off their mortgage of over £60k - the new guest rumoured to be a Mr. D Beckham, wish I'd booked a room back then! I can't help feel there's going to be a lot of people disappointed when they see what a dump Newport is though but at least Caerleon will be 'quaint' for our American visitors. Loads of flags all over the area with cheesy quotes on them. I'll be working from home once the actual match starts as traffic is already getting busy!

Take a look at this llink...
    http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/beckham.asp

Not sure of the source of the payment but as the couple in question were in the paper the fact of the mortgage being paid off isn't in doubt.
  • Pross
    jim453 wrote:
    softlad wrote:

It's generally played in September (average rainfall about 9mm less for the month). Last time out in Europe it was held at the K Club which is hardly renowned for it's dry climate. The Celtic Manor beat a Scottish application to host the current event (again, Scotland isn't somewhere that tops my list for a sun bathing holiday). When held in the US anywhere on the eastern seaboard at this time of year is at risk of picking up the tail end of a tropical storm (see US open tennis). It's just pure bad luck and ultimately the match couldn't have been any more exciting.

EDIT I believe the last time rain delayed the opening day was when the Cup was held for the first time outside GB / Ireland at Valderama!
  • softlad
    the biggest irony is that El Tel was going on about how well drained the course was before the match started...
  • have they finished yet?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Well, we won anyway.

Perhaps they like the rain.

Maybe they should book the next home tie somewhere really wet. Manchester perhaps.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    jim453 wrote:
    Well, we won anyway.

Perhaps they like the rain.

Maybe they should book the next home tie somewhere really wet. Manchester perhaps.

Oh b o l l o x!

That means they'll win the Sports Personality Team Award and that fat dullard Montgomerie will win the Manager's award. And we'll have to suffer his boring waffling speech in his Ilkley/Scottish accent for bloody hours. :evil:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I am shocked at the golf hooliganism - that lot of drunken Pringles should have their passports suspended immediately! :evil:

Actually, it was quite exciting, wasn't it?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Its the only time you'll hear the british chanting "Europe, Europe, Europe"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Did anyone hear the drunk woman live on air on friday?

BBC 5 it was a live interview and she was sozzled on chammpers it is pure comedy gold! :lol: