Just had eggs thrown at me whilst out riding

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    If they got picked up by the fuzz it would be a rarebit of good news
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I was trying to work out what charge they would face? Poaching perhaps?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • It strikes me that those who are naysaying might never have been hit in the head with anything whilst really flying. It's not a nice experience, disorientating, and likely to cause a fall, and hence possibly a death. If they were dropping things on cars from a motorway bridge, you'd take it seriously.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I've been hit by a full can of Coke thrown out of a car window. It struck me in the back of the head and hurt like bitch (no helmet) but I have to admit I didn't even think about calling the police, let alone dialling 999.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Oooo, how exciting, I've been censored!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    kelsen wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    999?

Unpleasant and messy? Yes

Emergency?

An egg thrown with force may reach 50mph or more. Let's say from the back of a scooter, it was only thrown at 30mph, but the scooter itself could have been doing anything from 30mph upwards.

I would describe the consequences of being pelted in the head by an egg thrown at 60mph* whilst riding a bicycle is more than unpleasant and messy. Downright dangerous and potentially lethal in fact.

Did you consider that? No

*Ok, before anyone points out, I didn't factor in the speed of the bicycle which, if it was going in the same direction of travel as the egg, would've affected the velocity at which the egg impacted on the OP, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say here!

It would also depend on whether they were going towards him when they threw the egg, or away from him.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • you got egged - don't worry, you'll get ova it
  • SamWise72 wrote:
    It strikes me that those who are naysaying might never have been hit in the head with anything whilst really flying. It's not a nice experience, disorientating, and likely to cause a fall, and hence possibly a death. If they were dropping things on cars from a motorway bridge, you'd take it seriously.

Sam, I'm probably one of those people who appear not to be taking it seriously. And though I haven't taken a recent hit, this is more because yer average chav passenger is absolutely useless at throwing things with any accuracy. I have had a very close miss while travelling at just over 30mph and I was acutely aware that a direct hit could have caused me some serious injuries - not from the can but from the aftermath.

And yet I still join in with the pun-fest because I'm one of those ''you have to laugh or else you'll cry'' people. Humour is a defence against adversity. But my apologies if you find it insensitive.
  • I had a stone thrown at me not far from South Bermondsey station on the way home a few years ago. It hit my helmet and made a big dent. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet or it had hit my face I would have been in severe pain. Bunch of kids who threw it ran off laughing. I didn't call 999 as they had scarpered but called the Met Police on their normal number once at home. Woman who answered (not a police officer I don't think) was useless. She couldn't have cared less, said that it was too late to call (literally 5-10 mins after it had happened, to be honest I was only reporting it to let them know in case there had been other incidents in teh area). In fact she seemed more concerned that I didn't know the precise postcode of where it happened and was generally very huffy and impatient. No offer of a police visit, no concern, nothing....

Next time I'll ring 999, sounds like you actually get someone to do something that way
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mese13 wrote:
    you got egged - don't worry, you'll get ova it

Init bruv

Would be good to keep us updated if anything happens Sketchley. Little gits.
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    mese13 wrote:
    you got egged - don't worry, you'll get ova it

I'm completely over it already, thank you. I was pretty angry at the time as I didn’t actually know what had hit me until I got home. I was very surprised to find out it was just an egg, from the force of the impact on my right shoulder I was expect something else, it felt like being punched fairly hard in the shoulder, which is what I first thought had happened but then realized they where too far away to actually hit me.

The jokes are terrible but a couple did make made me laugh and clamed me down a little so thanks for that.

At the risk of feeding the trolls, I am however a little surprised by some of the responses on here. There seems to be a suggestion that either throwing eggs a cyclist shouldn't be illegal or that the police should not investigate such incidents, there by decriminalizing it anyway. This would also suggest that cyclist should accept that they will have eggs thrown at them when out riding.

To put some of the comments about calling the police in another context, being ‘egged’ is fairly low down on the scale of assault compared to being randomly punched in the face while walking down the street, by the same token you can argue that bike theft is lower down the scale of vehicle theft compared the car theft, as cars generally cost more than bikes. If you then put some of the comments made in this context you end up with the following.

"Why did you call the police to report your bike stolen, it's only minor crime and your bike is only worth a few hundred quid. You should leave the police to focus on higher value theft such as cars. I can't believe the police treat bike theft this seriously; no wonder they struggle to tackle real crime. So your bike got stolen get over it"

I’m sure not many on here would agree with that.

There is maybe a valid argument about priority the police assigned to the call, but it's their job to assign priority to incidents and not mine. I have no idea if on Monday night they had other more serious offences to deal with, I can only assume they didn’t, and if they had I would have no problem being bumped down the list. I would feel guilty if my minor incident preventing the police from responding to a more serious incident when someone was really hurt but I have to trust that the police assigned priority accordingly. I would also feel guilty if having not reported it I found out in the local paper that someone else had been hurt or knocked off their bike in a similar incident later the same night, I would feel that I may have been able to stop it happening if I had reported it rather than simply dismissed it.

For what it is worth I was very surprised to get something more than a reference number and victim support letter a while later.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SamWise72 wrote:
    It strikes me that those who are naysaying might never have been hit in the head with anything whilst really flying. It's not a nice experience, disorientating, and likely to cause a fall, and hence possibly a death. If they were dropping things on cars from a motorway bridge, you'd take it seriously.

Sam, I'm probably one of those people who appear not to be taking it seriously. And though I haven't taken a recent hit, this is more because yer average chav passenger is absolutely useless at throwing things with any accuracy. I have had a very close miss while travelling at just over 30mph and I was acutely aware that a direct hit could have caused me some serious injuries - not from the can but from the aftermath.

And yet I still join in with the pun-fest because I'm one of those ''you have to laugh or else you'll cry'' people. Humour is a defence against adversity. But my apologies if you find it insensitive.

Ha!

That's you with egg on your face! :D

I'll stop now... incidentally I have reported a similar incident myself: near miss of an object thrown from a car. Nothing came of it
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Eggsellent post Sketchely. Shell we leave it there?

Seriously though, that's a well-formed viewpoint there - well written, sensible pragmatic approach. That's what it boils down to.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    CiB wrote:

Seriously though, that's a well-formed viewpoint there - well written, sensible pragmatic approach. That's what it boils down to.

Same thing happened to me in Hull - 'n days went past before the police came.

Jesus, I've resisted the egg puns, and finally,. that was the best i could come up with?

I'll get me coat - and me hat, shoes, gloves, scarf, brolly, and just about everything else.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    PBo wrote:
    Hull - 'n days
    Quality.
  • OP - Mayo have a speedy recovery.

PBo - I liked your pun, om-letting you have that one.
  • sketchley
    PBo wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Same thing happened to me in Hull - 'n days went past before the police came.

Jesus, I've resisted the egg puns, and finally,. that was the best i could come up with?

I'll get me coat - and me hat, shoes, gloves, scarf, brolly, and just about everything else.....

That took a while........
    --
    Chris

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    OP - Mayo have a speedy recovery.

bahhhh! been trying to work mayo in for days! well done
  • PBo wrote:
    OP - Mayo have a speedy recovery.

bahhhh! been trying to work mayo in for days! well done

Meh, I found it over-easy. :P
  • Look on the sunny side, it could have knocked you over easy.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • No problem with you phoning the police, I just questioned if it warranted a 999 call.

You wouldn't ring 999 if your bike was nicked would you?
  • Given that some people have started to turn this more serious (despite the fact we're in "Commuting Chat" - the home of banter) , and following Sketchley's well written post above, I thought I should say for the record that I think Sketch was right to phone the fuzz: It was a battery (that wasn't even supposed to be a pun), is a crime, had just happened (so 999 ok) and was for the police to decide what priority to give it.

Now,
    Hull - 'n days

Stop it guys - I can't coop with all these puns...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I rang 999 the other day by accident.

I was attempting to call the station (about something very non-emergency; parking in a perm bike lane) and their automated telephone options said 'Press1 if you wish to report an incident....' so I did.

That put me though to 999 who weren't very happy, obviously enough.

Seriously, who would call the station and use the IVR instead of calling 999?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Red Rider wrote:
    An oeuf is an oeuf with these puns already

:D That's the best one yet. Perhaps we should leave it at that.

I dare say someone will soldier on regardless tho...

but they'll be toast if they do...
  • hens forth, no more puns
  • Asprilla wrote:

That does seem like a bit of a stretch. The message could have been more clear (something like to report an emergency incident.

Mike
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mudcovered wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That does seem like a bit of a stretch. The message could have been more clear (something like to report an emergency incident.

Mike

My thoughts exactly. I even rang back to check the message, but it didn't say anything about emergencies.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    mickbrown wrote:
    No problem with you phoning the police, I just questioned if it warranted a 999 call.

You wouldn't ring 999 if your bike was nicked would you?

Depends. If bike just nicked and I could see thief riding off down the road, then yes 999. If bike stolen over night then no,
    --
    Chris

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    shell we call it a day on the puns then
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I think the OP was right to call 999. It's best to let the police deal with these thugs, they're probably pretty hard-boiled.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10