Just had eggs thrown at me whilst out riding

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Nearly home tonight and four scooters came past me. As they go past I feel a wack on helmet and another on my back. Get home and looks like I've been pelted with eggs. No idea who they where completely random. Nice!

Police called, but I could only give very brief descriptions, 4 people riding scooter with helmets, I would guess they where young men but..... Hopefully CCTV from main junciton I had just turned off will identify them.

Police on way to my house to take a statement.

Angry doesn't do it justice.

gggggrrrrhhhh
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• Maybe they were reinventing scrambling?
  • Can't see it being a police priority. Amazed you managed to get them out. Where do you live out of interest?
  • sketchley
    Worcester Park, Surrey
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Phoned 999, they said as I've "been assualted" it a serious crimes and gets priority.
    Got a phone call back asking if I would be willing to take it further, said yes, and that they had patrol cars out looking.

Just had third phone call on from a PC they are way to see me now. Less than an hour after it happend.

Not holding out much hope, but you never know....
    --
    Chris

• Scum. Pity you couldn't get a number plate.
  • sketchley
    Police have been and gone now, very efficient. Hopefully there is CCTV at the main junction before this happend and if there is and they can get a number plate they will be getting a visit....

Ho hum. Calmed down somewhat now. At least I'm a confident cyclist, if they did that to someone else at night in the rain.....

Oh well beer and bed then take out any remaining anger down embankment in the morning.
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    5-0 must be bored out your way.

Maybe they'll scramble the helicopter. Call out the sniffer dogs etc
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I got egged on the isle of dogs, outside that cruddy Today's shop - decent shot though, I must have been 30 meters away when it struck
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    mese13 wrote:
    I got egged on the isle of dogs.
    Rather that than getting dogged on the Isle of Eigg.
  • "scramble the helicopter".

"Poach rival forces' staff.

Hard boil the dastardly criminals.

Fry the lot of 'em.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Glad they didn't do anything more Sketch, as you say could have been a lot worse.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I was cycling down Commercial Road (nr Isle of Dogs) one evening and someone took a pot-shot with an air-rifle :shock: Having used to have one, I recognised the whistle as it went past, so I put my foot down & went faster. I didn't report it as the chances of finding the sniper in the tower block I had been passing were absolutely none...
  • 999?

Unpleasant and messy? Yes

Emergency?
  • When I lived in Leytonstone there was a spate of vegetables being thrown from cars at pedestrians.

One elderly gentleman died after beinh hit by a cabbage, I think.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    When I lived in Leytonstone there was a spate of vegetables being thrown from cars at pedestrians.

One elderly gentleman died after beinh hit by a cabbage, I think.

I heard it was a cabbage, a broccoli, and a leek....

he died of gang green........

IGMC............
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    mickbrown wrote:
    999?

Emergency?

An egg thrown with force may reach 50mph or more. Let's say from the back of a scooter, it was only thrown at 30mph, but the scooter itself could have been doing anything from 30mph upwards.

I would describe the consequences of being pelted in the head by an egg thrown at 60mph* whilst riding a bicycle is more than unpleasant and messy. Downright dangerous and potentially lethal in fact.

Did you consider that? No

*Ok, before anyone points out, I didn't factor in the speed of the bicycle which, if it was going in the same direction of travel as the egg, would've affected the velocity at which the egg impacted on the OP, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say here!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I was shot at by a firework once.

Not nice.

But there are some real scum about.
  • sketchley
    mickbrown wrote:
    999?

Emergency?

Considering I made the call within 5 mins of the incident and they were still riding around the estate where I live only 1 min before the call. And the fact that they may of been continuing to throw stuff at random people. Yes Emergency, and I make no appologies for that. I did think to myself should I be calling 999 or another police number, but I had no idea what that was. Furthermore the seriousness the 999 opperator, the subsequent calls from police and police officers who visited took it reassured me I made the correct decision.
    --
    Chris

• eggsellent story..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Scum.

Hopefully they'll get caught.

Then the yoke will be on them.

IGMC
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Once had an egg dropped onto the sunroof of the car in Bristol, waiting at lights on a road that runs under a tower block [next to the Premier Inn just up the road from the docks if you know it].

What a chuffing bang it made, and the mess an egg can make is stupendous, esp when it gets in the rubber seal and sets, with rain thrown in for good measure. What a wiff. Emergency? No. Police? No - no point. The useless scum who lobbed it should be frog-marched into the canal though, and be pointed & laughed at.

Was once shot at with an air pistol by some youths in a Micra. Plod was v keen to catch them but couldn't trace them - number plate didn't tally with a Micra, & they both knew that the youths in it would deny everything and that realistically nothign could be done.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Unbelievable.

The Police treat being 'egged' as assault ???

You get priority response for a cookery related complaint ???

No wonder the Police struggle to tackle real crime, fannying around with stuff like this ...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    shm_uk wrote:
    Unbelievable.

The Police treat being 'egged' as assault ???

You get priority response for a cookery related complaint ???

No wonder the Police struggle to tackle real crime, fannying around with stuff like this ...
    When it's possible to be done for assualt for not much more than what used to be called 'a gentle shove', lobbing an egg at someone doing 20+mph on a bike falls into the category of 'likely to cause harm'. It may be the lower end of the scale but how about you come back and dismiss it when you've had an egg in your face at any kind of speed. It hurts, and like a lot of other low-level crime it the sort of thing that leads onto bigger things. Y'know why? Peer pressure. These youths just egg each other on.

Phew. Got there in the end.
  • Those lads need a right knock on their eggnoggin - that should hopefully reset their scrambled brains
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Funnily enough I saw a couple of young blokes in a beemer on Embankment today, they were both holding eggs.

Now maybe they were going to eat them, but I don't think so!
  • Those lads need a right knock on their eggnoggin - that should hopefully reset their scrambled brains

An oeuf is an oeuf with these puns already :wink:
  • An oeuf is an oeuf with these puns already

:D That's the best one yet. Perhaps we should leave it at that.

I dare say someone will soldier on regardless tho...
  • Red Rider wrote:
    An oeuf is an oeuf with these puns already

:D That's the best one yet. Perhaps we should leave it at that.

I dare say someone will soldier on regardless tho...

:lol: These things have no predetermined end...

But I do feel tempted to ask which came first, the chucking or the egg...the OP might be able to solve one of life's greatest mysteries.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Guys, this is really insensitive. Poor feller's just been egged while riding a bike and all you lot can do is crack jokes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I suspect the cheeky young scamps where only trying to 'egg you on'.