Do pedestrians ever get hit by cyclists

Comments

• And no, none of my sons ever walked in front of a cyclist, and to this day are fully aware of joggers, cyclists, and others around them.
    my DISABLED son who was knocked off his bike by a moron woman with a dog on a 30' lead, she didn't evan stay to see if he w3as ok.

Just me, or are these inconsistent?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2010
    Duplicate post
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Not to mention

In reply to WGWarburton.
    image.jpg

Sorry but I am having trouble uploading a pic.

How DARE you say I have a "tone".

The above is my DISABLED son who was knocked off his bike by a moron woman with a dog on a 30' lead, she didn't evan stay to see if he w3as ok. Never found her.

50 yards earlier he would have gone down 10' onto rocks instead of a pedestrian/cycle path.

Yes I have a "tone" WGWarburton, and I hope you never receive a similar call about a family member.

Pedestriand have responsibilities TOO.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I negotiated my way though the horror of Soho and down Charing 'carnage' Cross road again tonight. There were lots of pedestrians around (many in the road) and I can therefore only assume it was some sort of miracle that I didn't collide with any of them.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I negotiated my way though the horror of Soho and down Charing 'carnage' Cross road again tonight. There were lots of pedestrians around (many in the road) and I can therefore only assume it was some sort of miracle that I didn't collide with any of them.

That area is well known for street walkers.

When I don't collide with peds it's not because of a miracle.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    dondare wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

That area is well known for street walkers.

When I don't collide with peds it's not because of a miracle.

I didn't think they walked the streets, but operated out of dingy "clubs"?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    If you were driving your car in a 30 limit you wouldnt slow down to 10 miles per hour everytime a ped was walking along the pavement so why do you expect cyclists to do the same? ( basing this on a road not a cyclepath)

Motorists always have the attitude that it's the other person's fault. Then they drive around killing about 6-700 peds a year. The basic premise that it's up to everyone else just to get out of the way of those who travel on the public roads at lethal speeds is wrong both legally and morally.
    Seems that the pootlers seem to think going fast is some sort of crime. My commute is 12 miles and I like to get there as fast as possible. And they need to realise that there are pavement s outside of london which some seem to be basing all there judgements on.

My journey is 11 miles and there are pedestrian-free bits I belt along and pedestrian-infested bits I pootle along. It's still faster than driving.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • PBo wrote:
    Look, all this hair splitting, uber code quoting and self righteousness about cycling slowly etc. ignores one thing:

You cannae change the laws of physics.

I have news for you - "stop an a dime" is just a saying, not reality!!!

If someone steps into your braking space, there is sweet FA you can do! (you can cycle slower to minimize that space, but some of you are talking like it can NEVER be the peds fault.

What about if you look over your shoulder before manouvering, and someone steps out? You are not cycling dangerously.

Peds can be idiots. That highway code stuff quoted suggest that you should cycle with due care and attention, not be a f**ing miracle worker. It does NOT enshrine in law that peds are untouchable.

+1000!!
  • PBo wrote:
    Look, all this hair splitting, uber code quoting and self righteousness about cycling slowly etc. ignores one thing:

You cannae change the laws of physics.

I have news for you - "stop an a dime" is just a saying, not reality!!!

If someone steps into your braking space, there is sweet FA you can do! (you can cycle slower to minimize that space, but some of you are talking like it can NEVER be the peds fault.

What about if you look over your shoulder before manouvering, and someone steps out? You are not cycling dangerously.

Peds can be idiots. That highway code stuff quoted suggest that you should cycle with due care and attention, not be a f**ing miracle worker. It does NOT enshrine in law that peds are untouchable.

+1000!!

:)

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    PBo wrote:

Oh yes they can be, but an idiot stepping in front of you can result in some severe injuries for yourself, so I'd say best to be careful and assume that everybody is out to get you.

As for a pd stepping out when looking back, why are you looking back when this could happen?

I'd say yes, looking back without at least assessing what could possibly happen in front of you whilst travelling forward is pretty dangerous!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Things happening in front of you may well be the reason that you are looking back.
    e.g Cycling behind a car that indicates that it is pulling over to the left to park. Shoulder check to make sure its safe to go around the car. Ped steps out behind the car and walks into you.

The car driver did nothing wrong. The cyclist did nothing wrong. The ped didn't use effective observation.
    Outcome: collision caused by ped not looking.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Greg66 wrote:
    And no, none of my sons ever walked in front of a cyclist, and to this day are fully aware of joggers, cyclists, and others around them.
    my DISABLED son who was knocked off his bike by a moron woman with a dog on a 30' lead, she didn't evan stay to see if he w3as ok.

yes, and to be honest 8-10 mph is fast for a shared path once you get in any way near folks, I frequently slow down to below walking speed, even at that speed I'm 13 stone plus bike and such I have a fair inertia even at crawling speed I'd knock even a big man flying if i came into contact.

Having a learning disability regarding this is red herring, you have a duty of care to be going slow enough on shared paths/parks etc to be able to stop for others and your selfs wellbeing.

having a learning disability or not is irrelevant regarding that.

I regularly take groups out cycling though parks etc, Some have the capacity to understand this, others do not. One has to be careful with the guys and girls who do not.
  • prj45
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    e.g Cycling behind a car that indicates that it is pulling over to the left to park. Shoulder check to make sure its safe to go around the car. Ped steps out behind the car and walks into you.

And yes, you're on the floor with a broken shoulder.

So next time you do a shoulder check you'll be ready and prepared for any ped that could enter your path whilst you're doing it by perhaps slowing down? (or indeed the car could've slammed it's brakes on).
  • EKE_38BPM
    PRJ45, you have a nice bike (or at least a picture of a nice bike), so I assume you enjoy cycling. It must be really annoying for you to cycle everywhere at below walking pace and coming to a complete halt everytime you have to do a shoulder check.

• prj45
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    It must be really annoying for you to cycle everywhere at below walking pace and coming to a complete halt everytime you have to do a shoulder check.

Er... I don't do that, why would you suggest I do?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    EKE,

It's possible to cycle quickly AND safely. The two are not exclusive. That means adjusting your speed/ road position to cope with possible obstructions such as peds stepping out or cars turning across your path. They shouldn't do it but it happens. If you don't learn to anticipate this sort of thing you will f*ck yourself up in a big way when something 'unexpected' happens.

Jeremy,

Your entitlement complex is worrying. You seem to think that having some lights and an Airzound means that everyone should make way for your passage. It's unreasonable to expect a 5 year old girl to know which side of the line is safe and which is not on a shared use path. To blame the parents and call them morons for having the cheek to allow their child to roam around in a park where they may hinder your stately progress is a disgusting attitude.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    It's not about absolutes, it's about judgement.

The people claiming you should never find youreself in a situation where you're unable to stop are deluding themselves a bit I think. To truly ensure this everyone would have to cycle or drive everywhere at walking pace.

At the same time, 25 mph on a cyle lane in town is clearly asking for trouble, as is filtering though stationary traffic in town*. People stepping out in these situations is not entiely unexpected is it? The number of incidents some people on here seem to have makes me think they need to take a look at how they're riding.

But pedestrians having right of way in the road does not make just stepping out without looking any less stupid.

Basically everybody using the roads, or shared-use paths or whatever, needs a big dose of common sense, awareness and courtesy and a smaller dose of their own self-importance and 'rights'.

EDIT: * Filtering at speed, not filtering in general I mean.
  • EKE_38BPM
    MrChuck wrote:
    It's not about absolutes, it's about judgement.

The people claiming you should never find youreself in a situation where you're unable to stop are deluding themselves a bit I think. To truly ensure this everyone would have to cycle or drive everywhere at walking pace.

At the same time, 25 mph on a cyle lane in town is clearly asking for trouble, as is filtering though stationary traffic in town*. People stepping out in these situations is not entiely unexpected is it? The number of incidents some people on here seem to have makes me think they need to take a look at how they're riding.

But pedestrians having right of way in the road does not make just stepping out without looking any less stupid.

Basically everybody using the roads, or shared-use paths or whatever, needs a big dose of common sense, awareness and courtesy and a smaller dose of their own self-importance and 'rights'.

EDIT: * Filtering at speed, not filtering in general I mean.
    +1

Thats the same point I was trying to make, just more eloquently. Damn this hangover!

• prj45
    MrChuck wrote:
    To truly ensure this everyone would have to cycle or drive everywhere at walking pace.

Er, nonsense.
  • MrChuck
    prj45 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    To truly ensure this everyone would have to cycle or drive everywhere at walking pace.

Er, nonsense.

Do you ever cycle or drive down a street with parked cars down it? What speed do you ride at to absolutely guarantee that you would be able to stop if a dog ran out from behind one of them when you were a few feet away?

Edited for terrible spelling :oops:
  • prj45
    MrChuck wrote:
    Do you ever cycle or drive down a street with parked cars down it? What speed do you ride at to absolutely guarantee that you would be able to stop if a dog ran out from behind one of them when you were a few feet away?

I probably wouldn't do more that 10-15 mph down such a street (in my car or on my bike), but obviously more or less depending on whether or not I've seen activity on the pavements, I'd also be as far away from the cars as possible, i.e. in the middle, and if I have to go close to the sides I'll slow down.

Obviously I'll also be ready for such an incursion, clearly many people are not, they see what they think is a clear street and they hit the gas.

On Embankment where it's all open and you can see for miles I reach upwards of 30mph (in my car and on my bike).

In parks on shared pathways, pretty much no way more than 10-15mph regardless.

Some of the speed cyclists get up to down the east side of Hyde Park and along rotten row are nutty.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563

In reply to WGWarburton.
    image.jpg
    The above is my DISABLED son...

Just when you think you've seen *everything* on the internet. I'm sure your son loves having his photo all over these forums so you can make a point (I think that's what you're doing anyway).
  • MrChuck
    prj45 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

I probably wouldn't do more that 10-15 mph down such a street (in my car or on my bike), but obviously more or less depending on whether or not I've seen activity on the pavements, I'd also be as far away from the cars as possible, i.e. in the middle, and if I have to go close to the sides I'll slow down.

I don't think you could rule out colliding with someone or something in that scenario.

Look, I don't think we're disagreeing here. I'm not for a minute defending people who go ploughing into pedestrians because they're basically riding like twunts, but you can bump into people walking down the street if they come bolting out of a shop doorway fast enough. So I don't think you can really categorically declare you'd never find something in front of you you can't avoid.
  • prj45
    MrChuck wrote:
    So I don't think you can really categorically declare you'd never find something in front of you you can't avoid.

Probably not, but it's my goal, and the idea is if I do find a ped in front of me I can't stop for all we're going to do is perhaps have a nice little hug.
  • EKE_38BPM
    prj45 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    So I don't think you can really categorically declare you'd never find something in front of you you can't avoid.

Probably not, but it's my goal, and the idea is if I do find a ped in front of me I can't stop for all we're going to do is perhaps have a nice little hug.

And then her bloke will lamp you for hugging his burd!

• Greg66 wrote:
    And no, none of my sons ever walked in front of a cyclist, and to this day are fully aware of joggers, cyclists, and others around them.

???

Sorry, are you implying that to be disabled you have to be in a wheelchair? and that unless you are you are not disabled.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    MrChuck wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

I don't think you could rule out colliding with someone or something in that scenario.

Look, I don't think we're disagreeing here. I'm not for a minute defending people who go ploughing into pedestrians because they're basically riding like twunts, but you can bump into people walking down the street if they come bolting out of a shop doorway fast enough. So I don't think you can really categorically declare you'd never find something in front of you you can't avoid.

Yesterday, riding down a car-lined residential road, doing maybe 10mph. Ped walks off kerb and around to car door, just as I reach him he turns and walks into the road, we collide as I grab the brakes. I managed to stay on and we did a shoulder barge/cuddle type thing. It jarred my back a bit (I have a bad back) but neither of us admitted to being hurt. He apologised profusely and kept asking if I was okay. I politely urged him to look in future rather relying on hearing.

Point being, I would like to think I cycle safely to the conditions, but on this occasion I was deceived by his erratic change of direction and I believe the collision was unavoidable.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Greg66 wrote:

???

Sorry, are you implying that to be disabled you have to be in a wheelchair? and that unless you are you are not disabled.
    Oh, Jeremy! I think you've got it all wrong.
  • I live in New Cross in London. I commute to work every morning on the bike. I have what I term Near Pedestrian Collisions or NPC events. I used to average 3 NPCs a week. Since Thursday I'm up to 8 NPCs a day. I've even had a mother with 2 toddlers walk out in front of me. I did an emergency stop she said in a heavy foreign accent that "I must stop when she cross road". That's the general attitude towards cyclists. We get people walking up the middle of the road not on pavements now.

The most common is the Pedestrian Broadside. That is they walk into you, or more often scream as they suddenly stop and realise they nearly hospitalised themselves.

During the ice conditions before Christmas it was worse. You have to shout, no brakes, no brakes, in the hope to get their attention.

There is a total breakdown of the Green Cross Code here. I've heard in this discussion that pedestrians have the right of way. But I need to get from A to B and that's what the road is primarily for. We have pavements for Pedestrians.

What can I do?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I live in New Cross in London. I commute to work every morning on the bike. I have what I term Near Pedestrian Collisions or NPC events. I used to average 3 NPCs a week. Since Thursday I'm up to 8 NPCs a day. I've even had a mother with 2 toddlers walk out in front of me. I did an emergency stop she said in a heavy foreign accent that "I must stop when she cross road". That's the general attitude towards cyclists. We get people walking up the middle of the road not on pavements now.

The most common is the Pedestrian Broadside. That is they walk into you, or more often scream as they suddenly stop and realise they nearly hospitalised themselves.

During the ice conditions before Christmas it was worse. You have to shout, no brakes, no brakes, in the hope to get their attention.

There is a total breakdown of the Green Cross Code here. I've heard in this discussion that pedestrians have the right of way. But I need to get from A to B and that's what the road is primarily for. We have pavements for Pedestrians.

What can I do?

Not sure how you manage so many near collisions, I live in nearly the same area and rarely have anything like a near miss. Plenty of times people aren't paying as much attention as they should be but I generally spot this before they do and position myself such that when they do realise then they don't make things awkward for me. Cannon Street and London Bridge are the two exceptions, but there are so many people streaming out of the stations that you expect to have plenty of muppets and ride further from the kerb and a bit more slowly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo