Do pedestrians ever get hit by cyclists

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Cyclists: -
    They are required to use cycle lanes and tracks. They may not, however, use motorways and similar roads.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • It was a CYCLE lane, perhaps she will look next time
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    let's see a copper stop me using the motorway, they have to catch me first
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hot Orange wrote:
    What about squirrels?

One of them not only ran out right in front of me the other day, it then scurried around all over the road even after seeing me. I was able to stop in time, but I gave it a dirty look, I can tell you.

And as for ducks...

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me on my run in on Monday morning 'cept I couldn't stop in time and heard it fring off my rear spokes. Looked back and no sign so I guess it was OK.

Once hit a peahen on a motorcycle that got picked up by the back wheel and shredded. Took me ages to get the bits off the bike.

Never tangled with a duck though. I know how to turn one into a soul singer however. You put it in the microwave until it's Bill Withers.
    IGMC

On the subject of ducks and stupid people....part of my route is near a lake. And some misguided individual feels that the best way to feed the ducks is to scatter food on the shared-use path (rather than the perfectly good apron surrounding the lake). So you come round the corner to find about 500 assorted wildfowl blocking your way and in no mood to shift!
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Cyclists: -
    They are required to use cycle lanes and tracks. They may not, however, use motorways and similar roads.

Hmm. What's the "required" bit? Thought that it wasn't mandatory? Or is that squared away by local (UK) guidance?
  • It was a CYCLE lane, perhaps she will look next time

As far as I'm aware there are NO cycle lanes in the UK that a pedestrian is not allowed to walk on.

It's also worth bearing in mind that there's Government guidance that if you want to ride at over 30km/h (18mph) you should be on the road.

If the pedestrian were looking to press charges, you would be on very dodgy ground.

Cheers,
    W.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One winter evening in London, when in pedestrian mode, I was hit by a cyclist. He was going the wrong way down a one way street with no lights on. As I was laying there on the ground and he was having a go at me, until someone pointed out the two things he had been doing wrong. He quickly jumped back on his bike and rode off!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It was a CYCLE lane, perhaps she will look next time

As far as I'm aware there are NO cycle lanes in the UK that a pedestrian is not allowed to walk on.

It's also worth bearing in mind that there's Government guidance that if you want to ride at over 30km/h (18mph) you should be on the road.

If the pedestrian were looking to press charges, you would be on very dodgy ground.

Cheers,
    W.

Buns,

I think Jeremy is referring to the part of the road that is marked out for cyclists as a cycle lane, rather than a piece of pavement shared with pedestrians. As far as pedestrians are concerned, they should treat those areas as if they might have cars in them; it is permissable for motor vehicles to cross the broken white line that marks them out.

Des
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Look, all this hair splitting, uber code quoting and self righteousness about cycling slowly etc. ignores one thing:

You cannae change the laws of physics.

I have news for you - "stop an a dime" is just a saying, not reality!!!

If someone steps into your braking space, there is sweet FA you can do! (you can cycle slower to minimize that space, but some of you are talking like it can NEVER be the peds fault.

What about if you look over your shoulder before manouvering, and someone steps out? You are not cycling dangerously.

Peds can be idiots. That highway code stuff quoted suggest that you should cycle with due care and attention, not be a f**ing miracle worker. It does NOT enshrine in law that peds are untouchable.
  • I have to agree with Des Weller and PBo.

People have either misunderstood accidentally what I am saying or deliberately.

There are combined and single cycle lanes (dedicated), people have as much right (pedestrians) as a car does NONE.

On tracks with pedestran lanes next to cycle lanes bikes and pedestrians should NOT use the other.

On roads i can not believe some people here expect cyclists to be going so slowly ther have to anticipate morons steppinbg directly in front of them

In fact if a pedestran stepped in front of you and you can not stop it is NOT your fault, let them sue.

As far as WGWs comments "As far as I'm aware there are NO cycle lanes in the UK that a pedestrian is not allowed to walk on".

True but don't expect a cyclist to scare the &%£* out of you if you do, after all I would not cycle on a pedestran area.

• That's as maybe, but if you hit pedestrians no fewer than five times, you're doing it wrong.

Do that in a car, and I think you'd be in jail.
  • I do have to support PBo in every way by the look of it WGW you are in fact not a cyclist, or are living in cloud cucoo land.

According to you pedestriand can do no wrong.

The MORON who stepped in front of me said he would report me, that was until I pointed out the miniture vidcam on my cycle helmet and I said "fine we will show them this then.

Funny how he stomped off.

Available here.
    The quality is superb, 1hr charge 1.5hr record, I have many types from keyrings to these, and the pens, they are superb. This is held on my cycle helmet with a 1" piece of velcro.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/720X480-MD80-MINI ... 5adbcec57a

• asquithea wrote:
    That's as maybe, but if you hit pedestrians no fewer than five times, you're doing it wrong.

Or just FIVE MORONS.

• asquithea wrote:
    That's as maybe, but if you hit pedestrians no fewer than five times, you're doing it wrong.

Oh and you would not be in jail no matter how many walked in front of you if it were their fault!

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    The MORON who stepped in front of me said he would report me, that was until I pointed out the miniture vidcam on my cycle helmet and I said "fine we will show them this then.

Can we see the video?
  • i almost fit a a pedestrian everyday, e.g., today a person opened a door very unexpectedly which I could have fit dead on. it's becoming so annoying, you would think it's the cars that are an issue.

fortunately, i'm managed to keep my cool in all occasions.
  • PBo
    i almost fit a a pedestrian everyday, e.g., today a person opened a door very unexpectedly which I could have fit dead on. it's becoming so annoying, you would think it's the cars that are an issue.

......because we wouldn't like you when you were angry.....

(second time I've made thar joke, but its not getting tired for me just yet.... :lol:)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Foobies wrote:
    [quote="dancook"pedestrians have right of way on a road 50 feet from a crossing? Thats news to me, next time im walking im gonna step out in front of a bus and take first western national for all tehyve got!
    Unfortunately they do have a universal right of way on public highways unless they are banned (e.g. a TRO/right of way notice which would result in a no pedestrians sign, a motorway or a special road).

That's why a pedestrian can walk in a marked, signed cycle lane on the pavement and there is FA you can do about it. They have a right to walk there, you are only allowed to.
    You can't go around running into pedestrians who deserve it - you have a duty of care to others when using your bike (although car drivers have a duty of care to others while driving....)

I'd advocate making "careless walking" and "dangerous pedestrianism" criminal offences, but the pigs aren't interested in cars/vans/lorries/buses knocking cyclists over so there's not much hope of it getting enforced.
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Can we see the video?

I'd like to see that too, jr. Just had a quick flick back through your recent posts, and I'm wondering if you have some anger issues that might be causing confrontations. I hope you didn't really buy that airzound to use against pedestrians :?

Video sometimes makes it easier to suggest a better way of handling this sort of problem.
  • I'd advocate making "careless walking" and "dangerous pedestrianism" criminal offences, but the pigs aren't interested in cars/vans/lorries/buses knocking cyclists over so there's not much hope of it getting enforced.

I got stopped by the police once for "walking in a suspicious manner" !
    Misguided Idealist
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Can we see the video?

+1 (moving) Pictures or it didn't happen.
  • PBo
    I'd advocate making "careless walking" and "dangerous pedestrianism" criminal offences, but the pigs aren't interested in cars/vans/lorries/buses knocking cyclists over so there's not much hope of it getting enforced.

I got stopped by the police once for "walking in a suspicious manner" !

Is your name "winston codogo"?

(Bet I'm the only one old enough to rmember NTNON?)
  • _Brun_
    i almost fit a a pedestrian everyday, e.g., today a person opened a door very unexpectedly which I could have fit dead on. it's becoming so annoying, you would think it's the cars that are an issue.

Avoid car doors being opened into you by not riding less than about 1m from parked cars.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    PBo wrote:

Nope. My memory's from buying the DVD though 'cos I thought the clips I'd seen pant-wettingly funny... Maybe you're the only one who remembers it from yesteryear when electricity was delivered by post..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • PBo wrote:

Is your name "winston codogo"?

Oh no, I remember it as well !
    An apt comparison - as soon as I spoke, the charge became "walking in a suspicious manner while in charge of an Irish accent"

Ah, the good old days :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When I was a school kid (and electricity was delivered by post etc) a tall man who played the role (but not the voice of) Darth Vader used to come on TV to tell the nation's kids to Stop Look & Listen when crossing the road.

No-one seems to stop before crossing the road these days.
    The number who look seems to be dwindling (outside Liverpool Street in the morning is a prime example)
    Listening doesn't happen. All these people with their iMans and Walkphones. I don't know. Whats wrong with listening to the Home Service on the Radiogram in the parlour when one returns home from a hard day in the factory?

In all seriousness though, everyone should take responsibility for their own actions. When that action is cross a road, the Green Cross Code should be used. If people used common sense there wouldn't be the need for a hell of a lot of laws and regulations.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Avoid car doors being opened into you by not riding less than about 1m from parked cars.

easy to do in london town is it? cos that sure as hell aint possible down her!
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • EKE_38BPM
    Foobies wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Just ride where it is safe for you to be, move in when there are no cars parked and wave a 'thanks' to anything you hold up. Some driver's will be pissed off, but not as pissed off you would be if some muppet opens the door on you.

• _Brun_
    Foobies wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

I don't seem to have any problems asserting where I want to be in the road, probably helps to explain why I don't have the pedestrian problems experienced by others.

All it takes is a bit of competence in spotting obstacles in good time, confidence to show that whatever's behind you has to deal with what you're doing (eye contact, signalling etc), and a decent lick of speed where necessary to avoid pissing people of too much.

Also, my commute takes me down one narrow road with double parking that's only wide enough to fit one car down. If someone's coming in the other direction I'm happy to pull into a gap as a car would have to (bikes don't need much of a space anyway) and wait for them to pass. I see plenty of other cyclists happy to squeeze between the parked cars and the oncoming ones, with 6" at either side of their bars, in the hope that the car will give them enough room. Seems a bit daft to me.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Wot he said.

+1 For sensible assertive riding.