• that climbs mental, can't wait till saturday. tdf has a lot to learn
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    that climbs mental, can't wait till saturday. tdf has a lot to learn

And you have a lot to learn about the sheer enormity of the Tour. It terms of logistics, it's 5-10 times the size of the Vuelta. A climb like that is completely impossible for them to use.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2010
    RichN95 wrote:
    that climbs mental, can't wait till saturday. tdf has a lot to learn

And you have a lot to learn about the sheer enormity of the Tour. It terms of logistics, it's 5-10 times the size of the Vuelta. A climb like that is completely impossible for them to use.

The basics for running each GT are roughly the same. The climb is right on Madrid's doorstep, so expect to see similar size crowds.
    What neither the Giro, or the Vuelta can match is the commercial extension, such as the massive media presence, publicity caravan, celebrities etc etc etc.
    Having finishes on the Tourmalet or L'Aubisque in 2007 were both logistical nightmares.
    So, no, the Tour couldn't finish on the Bola, or even the Zoncolan.
    Can't see how that reflects in a positive way, in regard to the scale of the Tour.
    In terms of where these races can locate a finish, size certainly isn't everything.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I don't see why it's impossible for the Tour. They don't have to take everyone and everything to every summit - they didn't for Mont Ventoux in 09. Vuelta and Giro have same number of riders, same number of team staff, both televise the race live.

Seems like all we'd miss would be rider interviews on probably one stage and I could live with that I think.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Steve2020 wrote:
    I don't see why it's impossible for the Tour. They don't have to take everyone and everything to every summit - they didn't for Mont Ventoux in 09. Vuelta and Giro have same number of riders, same number of team staff, both televise the race live.

Seems like all we'd miss would be rider interviews on probably one stage and I could live with that I think.

You're not paying for television rights, though, are you?

And Ventoux has two wide, well surfaced roads to the summit, not a single country lane.

They haven't used Puy de Dome for over 20 years (and never will again) for logistics reasons.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Steve2020 wrote:
    I don't see why it's impossible for the Tour. They don't have to take everyone and everything to every summit - they didn't for Mont Ventoux in 09. Vuelta and Giro have same number of riders, same number of team staff, both televise the race live.

+1

Just put the media village at the foot of the climb! I never really understood the point of having all those commentary boxes at the finish line. They're watching the same thing as you and me.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Steve2020 wrote:

+1

Just put the media village at the foot of the climb! I never really understood the point of having all those commentary boxes at the finish line. They're watching the same thing as you and me.

it can be done you just need rebo sites.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799