LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited September 2010 in Pro race
There are live (well, live-ish) text-based updates here:

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5210.shtml
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    @tourofbritain on Twitter has regular updates too. Greg Henderson is stuck in a group 2'35" back with Cameron Meyer out in front on his own.

Constitution Hill in the rain will be a challenge.
  • sounds like the conditions over the Black Mountain were horrendous.
  • afx237vi
    I thought Cameron Meyer was in the break yesterday, but he wasn't. That was Christian and Travis Meier... all on Garmin. How confusing.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes - and apparently they are both Canadian according to Hugh's commentary on ITV.

Which would explain why Travis Meyer was wearing the Australian National Champion's jersey :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tan Man just tweeted the commentry on the ToB is funny. I was wondering who was rocking the mic...

Now I know.....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    Pokerface wrote:
    Yes - and apparently they are both Canadian according to Hugh's commentary on ITV.

Which would explain why Travis Meyer was wearing the Australian National Champion's jersey :roll:

My favourite was "Here's Bradley Wiggins tapping out the rhythm, rhythmically". Worthy of Phil and Paul, that one.
  • To be fair it's bit of a one man army. I know the organiser is there as well but he seems to think that commentating is about being informative, when really what you want is an exciting atmosphere. We'll see at 7pm. :)
    I climb faster then you.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Can't be any worse than Carlton and his "rider X is having a bit of a chug on the front" catchphrase...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    back in my car drying out after 2 hours on Black Mountain. Strong winds, driving rain not a clue who was who! Garmin rider out front but not by much from a couple of small groups then main bunch split in two by a few seconds. Real hard man day, Roger Hammond even looked unhappy and was dropped. Constitution Hill will be a b***h in this weather!
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Fair play for sticking it out for two hours in the rain Pross! I was up Gunn Hill yesterday....

Todays descent of the Black Mountain claimed Darren Lapthorne (collar bone) and a rider from Topsport....

Albasini from HTC takes the win
  • iainf72
    I wonder why it takes the ToB so long to get the results of the stage out.

Most races are really quick.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    In other unanswered questions, why do the stages finish so early?
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:

I thought that was to not clash with the Vuelta, but then, they don't show it live so it can't be that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

I thought that was to not clash with the Vuelta, but then, they don't show it live so it can't be that.

Rush hour?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Rush hour?
    Yes, I wondered if the finish time was pre-school in order to avoid the traffic. A shame since kids don't get the see the finish.
  • Tom BB
    Kléber wrote:

Has to be to avoid closures during rush hour...
  • afx237vi
    Tom BB wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

And the 3 hour drive to the hotel...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Through rush hour.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Through rush hour.

Gives new meaning to "the hardest part of the race was on the team bus".
  • Tom BB
    Kléber wrote:
    Rush hour?
    Yes, I wondered if the finish time was pre-school in order to avoid the traffic. A shame since kids don't get the see the finish.

Loads of local schools take kids to see the race....last years stage in Stoke (which was a Wednesday iirc saw about 3000 school kids throughout the day!

There were plenty of the whinging brats up Gunn Hill yeserday too :x
  • Pross wrote:
    back in my car drying out after 2 hours on Black Mountain. Strong winds, driving rain not a clue who was who! Garmin rider out front but not by much from a couple of small groups then main bunch split in two by a few seconds. Real hard man day, Roger Hammond even looked unhappy and was dropped. Constitution Hill will be a b***h in this weather!

I was there too, tried taking photos - the first few weren't too bad but as the riders went by my 'aim' got worse and worse due to the cold. And all I had to do was stand there, not as if I was riding a bike...
    Hammond looked distinctly underwhelmed by it all but Downing seemed to be going pretty well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Well, my fears that Sky wasted 2 GC contenders in stage 2 came true. Henderson came back well but lost Brad and Gez even more time as they worked to close the gap. Constitution Hill really sorts the men from the boys, feel sorry for the Irish lad who was already in his granny gear on Black Mountain which really isn't steep! Nice to see Rob Partridge going so well bodes well for the Commonwealth Games. Should have some pics tomorrow but they aren't great due to weather.
  • Tom BB
    Just looking through todays results, and Dan Fleeman of Raleigh was in 84th place 13 mins down.....would have thought today was right up his street. Been a pretty poor year for both Dan, and the team in general which is a shame.
  • Tom BB wrote:
    Just looking through todays results, and Dan Fleeman of Raleigh was in 84th place 13 mins down.....would have thought today was right up his street. Been a pretty poor year for both Dan, and the team in general which is a shame.

It is a pity that Fleeman has had such a bad season, but it's still their first season and they can improve. Pleasing to see 3 Brits in the top ten today - just a pity the big boys from Sky have been such a let down.
  • Maybe Sky should look at how HTC operate as this team seems to win something in almost all the races and have a plan a, plan b and plan c if something goes wrong.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited September 2010
    Tom BB wrote:

For a guy with an FTP of 6.43 W/kg he's not doing at all well....
    More problems but still living....
  • Tom BB wrote:

It is a pity that Fleeman has had such a bad season, but it's still their first season and they can improve. Pleasing to see 3 Brits in the top ten today - just a pity the big boys from Sky have been such a let down.

Fleeman is very overrated, don't expect any results from him this or next season. Or the season after to be realistic.
  • Did anyone hear Backstedt on tob on itv4 saying that when he and O'grady rode it they had a bet to see who could get up constitution hill in the big ring.....and it was bets off as they all did it. Jinkies, i get quad burn just riding onto the pavement
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Did anyone hear Backstedt on tob on itv4 saying that when he and O'grady rode it they had a bet to see who could get up constitution hill in the big ring.....and it was bets off as they all did it. Jinkies, i get quad burn just riding onto the pavement

I saw that. I thought, what sprocket did you have at the back - a 35?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sportvan wrote:
    Maybe Sky should look at how HTC operate as this team seems to win something in almost all the races and have a plan a, plan b and plan c if something goes wrong.

Unfortunately there never seems to be a plan B for Sky and everyone is gaining marginally on them day by day. Last year there were 3 of their guys in the top 6 with Downing and Thomas in much smaller teams. This year they're all in Sky and they send last year's winner to Canada and the other two are domestiques for a sprinter who didn't have a chance of winning the overall. How long before Wigans sulks and decides he's going home just like last year.