Incoming - tube strike

Comments

• chaos at the bike parking outside my office this morning - even the harder to get to bike racks which are normally empty were jam packed.

pfft. :roll:

still there's rain forecast tonight :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    notsoblue wrote:
    If it really were the case that tube workers were downtrodden members of the proletariat then fine but the fact is their self serving unions have londoners over a barrel and workers already have some of the best working conditions in the city! And bob crow has just been voted an inflation busting pay rise himself

And arent' those working conditions worth protecting?

Exactly. I don't buy this common opinion that workers with good working conditions don't have a right to defend them. Many people feel resentment of other's situations and would rather criticise them than seek to improve their own.

+1. Also, Headhuunter, most people in the city don't work in tunnels hundreds of feet below the surface. Your idea of "best working conditions" is pretty f*cked up.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    georgee wrote:
    Why on earth would I want any of my hard earned cash helping put food on Bob Crow's table?
    Bob Crow earns over £130k per annum; it'd take a lot to get him worrying about putting food on the table...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • On a cycling note - be careful of the nodders. The last time I came off was when a strike dodger took me out with crazy direction changes. I am going to give everyone a wide berth tomorrow.
  • On a cycling note - be careful of the nodders. The last time I came off was when a strike dodger took me out with crazy direction changes. I am going to give everyone a wide berth tomorrow.
    Perhaps you should have gone on the Skyride as a warm up :wink:

As I understand it there are two reasons people might have cycled in today. One is that two lines (Jubilee & Northern, I think) have a separate dispute where action was started Sunday evening; and the other is that the action starts at 5pm tonight for some staff and 9pm for other staff, so people are hedging against getting stuck this evening.

... or maybe they're just practicing for tomorrow :)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Roads were all wrong this morning. Could be the strike. Could be the end of the holidays. Could be me.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Ave wages of a tube driver? £40k
    Number of days holiday? 43 days

shocking conditions, how can we treat them so badly?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    strike dodger
    :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    georgee wrote:

Why not try and improve your own situation rather than resentfully wish lesser conditions for others?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    georgee wrote:

Why not try and improve your own situation rather than resentfully wish lesser conditions for others?

My situation would be improved by having the tubes running-

Oh no wait I cycle, don't give a crap. I've got to say, now that I give £1200 less a year to the Bob Crow Retirement Fund I've become a lot more ambivalent about the whole thing. Although he really does come across as a horrible man, would it kill them to have a more charismatic front man?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I think the only clear answer is a Bob Crow vs. Borris Cage match.

As for my previous post, I do not wish them any lessor conditions, I just don't see a need to make life difficult to lessor paid workers who rely on them. Luckily I have an early meeting tomorrow morning so I can escape the amatures on the roads in.

But fingers crossed, they enjoy it and improve and join the ranks of us who have seen the light.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    TGOTB wrote:
    Bob Crow earns over £130k per annum; it'd take a lot to get him worrying about putting food on the table...

F914FF60-9405-0D20-518DD91B64B2E911.jpg

He has no trouble getting food off his table either...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    georgee wrote:

I think the point is that their conditions are perfectly adequate and can't justify a strike - other than as an attempt to extort job security or wage increases when the private sector isn't in a position to do so.

I'd sack the whole lot of them - plenty of people looking for jobs who'd be grateful for the chance!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    its nice to be immune to the strike with two wheels. Plus I was going make excuse today and not ride in, but the news reminded me of the strike so out came the bike.

In terms of the politics of it. Well Bob Crow's remit is to protect the jobs of the people who pay their subs to his union each month and not to customers. He'll quote safety or other reasons as his angle in the media war and not as genuine reason.

Oyster has automated many tasks and so the same numbers of people aren't needed. Just as when ticket barriers first came in the union kept people in work by getting them to watch the barriers using the same safety argument that managed to keep guards on tube trains years after they weren't needed or even drivers on trains that are automated.

TfL is massively bloated at the HQ level and perks like free travel for family members cost a mint.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    georgee wrote:

I think the point is that their conditions are perfectly adequate and can't justify a strike - other than as an attempt to extort job security or wage increases when the private sector isn't in a position to do so.

I'd sack the whole lot of them - plenty of people looking for jobs who'd be grateful for the chance!

This.

There comes a point when trying to improve your conditions becomes pure greed. I think Bob Crow and his lot of passed that a while ago.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Asprilla wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    georgee wrote:

This.

There comes a point when trying to improve your conditions becomes pure greed. I think Bob Crow and his lot of passed that a while ago.

+1
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Full details have now emerged of Transport for London's plans to cut 800 posts across the capital and insiders say as many as three-quarters of the staff at Hampstead and Highgate tube station offices could be culled by February next year, prompting fears over how emergencies could be dealt with adequately.

Two members of London Underground staff, who both asked not to be identified, told the Ham&High this week that there are genuine fears about how the cuts will affect stations that are "already understaffed", and that safety is a major concern.

Another insider told the Ham&High that staff would soon be on strike over job cuts and that Highgate is set to lose three out of four ticket office staff.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/camden ... :37:09:373
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Unfortunately, increased manning is not the solution to the apparent problem of "notoriously unreliable" lifts. Better lifts is.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45 wrote:
    Full details have now emerged of Transport for London's plans to cut 800 posts across the capital and insiders say as many as three-quarters of the staff at Hampstead and Highgate tube station offices could be culled by February next year, prompting fears over how emergencies could be dealt with adequately.

Two members of London Underground staff, who both asked not to be identified, told the Ham&High this week that there are genuine fears about how the cuts will affect stations that are "already understaffed", and that safety is a major concern.

Another insider told the Ham&High that staff would soon be on strike over job cuts and that Highgate is set to lose three out of four ticket office staff.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/content/camden ... :37:09:373

Typical irresponsible journalism. :roll:

Tube staff won't be getting people out of stopped lifts, for goodness sake.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    When there was a Tube strike last year, I seem to remember about 20 pages of (increasingly bitter) posts being created. Wonder if that total will be exceeded this time around...?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Gussio wrote:
    When there was a Tube strike last year, I seem to remember about 20 pages of (increasingly bitter) posts being created. Wonder if that total will be exceeded this time around...?

imagine how long the thread is on tuberadar
  • notsoblue
    Seems like the strangest forum on which you'd expect there to be posts complaining about a tube strike on...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    notsoblue wrote:
    Seems like the strangest forum on which you'd expect there to be posts complaining about a tube strike on...

:lol::lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    Really? It's road chaos every time. Loads of people travelling on london's roads who don't know where they're going... Well, more than normal.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Really? It's road chaos every time. Loads of people travelling on london's roads who don't know where they're going... Well, more than normal.

But we all want more people to commute to work by bike, right?

Actually, I'll be surprised if there are that many more cyclists given the weather forecast for tomorrow.
  • jonginge
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Actually, I'll be surprised if there are that many more cyclists given the weather forecast for tomorrow.
    Wasn't talking about cyclists ;) There may be more cyclists and, indeed, there were quite a few more during the last strikes but most people will just get in their cars. Then they'll get irate when they can't find anywhere to park.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Wasn't talking about cyclists ;) There may be more cyclists and, indeed, there were quite a few more during the last strikes but most people will just get in their cars. Then they'll get irate when they can't find anywhere to park.

lol, I see. Tbh, I don't remember it being too much of an issue the last time it happened. We'll see :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    The skies have darkened.

The storms are coming.

Hopefully won't put of any new bike commuters :lol::lol::lol:
  • jonginge
    nich wrote:
    The skies have darkened.

The storms are coming.

Hopefully won't put of any new bike commuters :lol::lol::lol:
    It's ok. I didn't commute on the new bike today. Phew