Is Andy a rider overrated?

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    If you honestly think Andy's win in Luik (attacking solo from 20km out, and blitzing past an on form Gilbert to win) was just to do with the team and nothing else, then you are sorely mistaken. It's just plainly not the case.

Furthermore, consistently ending up on the podium is a good show of talen that how many victories you have taken, especially when the victories LLS takes are when some people are finding their form.

When there is 1 winner and 179 losers, judging a guy's talent by their wins is not a particularly accurate way to gauge their talent.
  • Overrated: no.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Overrated hell no.

I do think he is slightly lacking the mental toughness but this will come.

If he can get his descending up another notch or two plus really work on his TT then he can beat AC to the yellow jersey.

I think he needs a team built around him as it showed in this years TDF that no-one could lend him any real support in the mountains.

Worst case scenario is that another young talented rider pops up with the right team behind him and blasts Andy out of the water
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Sorry I traid to say overdrunk :lol:
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • SeadooXP
    SeadooXP Posts: 28
    Once again, Andy proves his achilles heel is the time trial. And without his team, he is exposed for the fraud he really is. 2nd best is all he will ever be able to do because he doesnt have the heard of a champion. He has the heard of someone who relies on others. Cadel did all of the work, a singular effort, in the past week to bring the S brothers back, and today proves he is the most well rounded cyclist of the tour. Andy, get on your TT bike and start training now, otherwise its just going to be the same poor result next year.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    everybody shut up and listen to what I say

I would say andy is the sort of rider who could finish 2nd at least in the TdF
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Answer me this -OP. How is it that a rider who can win stages of the Tour, come in second more than a few times, makes a living racing bikes, is one of the top climbers in the world(note the word world), could most likely beat YOU over a highway overpass by 3 minutes. How is this person overrated? Then there is "SeadooXP" who says that 2nd. place is a "poor result". Idiots.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    SeadooXP wrote:
    2nd best is all he will ever be able to do because he doesnt have the herd of a champion.
    Fixed that for you :wink:
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    Dennis, you are a troll. The question was originally asked by someone whose first language is not English. Now go back and answer it in Spanish for Victor.
    Andy Schleck has no heart. Plenty of talent, but watching Evans drag himself, virtually unaided, back up to the leaders I thought 'Now there is a man who really wants to win the Tour.' Those are the men that most often win the Tour. Odd, that.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    dennisn wrote:
    Answer me this -OP. How is it that a rider who can win stages of the Tour, come in second more than a few times, makes a living racing bikes, is one of the top climbers in the world(note the word world), could most likely beat YOU over a highway overpass by 3 minutes. How is this person overrated? Then there is "SeadooXP" who says that 2nd. place is a "poor result". Idiots.

Couldnt have put it any better myself......... "idiots" being the only word i d have changed..... to something far stronger :lol:
  • dennisn
    Bronzie wrote:
    SeadooXP wrote:
    2nd best is all he will ever be able to do because he doesnt have the herd of a champion.
    Fixed that for you :wink:

I didn't catch that one - heh heh :wink::wink:
  • dennisn
    babyjebus wrote:
    Dennis, you are a troll.............

Yes, yes, yes I know that but what does it have to do with me slamming people who call AS overrated? Not to mention our "poor result" poster. 2nd. in the TDF a "poor result"????? C'mon, get real. Overrated??? You should be so overrated.
  • SeadooXP
    Anything but 1st is a poor result for Andy. He entered the tour to win it and anything short a poor result, period no matter what you raving fans have to say. Andy is a spindly knock kneed manchurian candidate, not a true champion and never will be, period. Cadel has the heart of the champion and the TT ability to back it up. Just like last year, Contador beat Andy in the TT to win the tour, he doenst learn from his mistakes.
  • dennisn
    SeadooXP wrote:
    Anything but 1st is a poor result for Andy. He entered the tour to win it and anything short a poor result, period no matter what you raving fans have to say. Andy is a spindly knock kneed manchurian candidate, not a true champion and never will be, period. Cadel has the heart of the champion and the TT ability to back it up. Just like last year, Contador beat Andy in the TT to win the tour, he doenst learn from his mistakes.

Look forward to seeing your name on the start list next year. Obviously a person of your knowledge and know how should have no trouble beating someone who's "not a champion and never will be, period." Amazing, a guy rides the TDF, wears yellow, climbs with the best, wins a stage, comes in 2nd. overall, and, somehow, someway your brain sees this as failure???? Amazing.
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Not over rated just tactically naive
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    dennisn wrote:
    Look forward to seeing your name on the start list next year. Obviously a person of your knowledge and know how should have no trouble beating someone who's "not a champion and never will be, period."

What's with the need to have competed in order to be critical? A career in sport doesn't necessarily make an individual insightful about it. You should listen to Pele talking about football.
  • mididoctors
    as an aside any interviews with andy anywhere?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

He was on the ITV highlights. Frank was too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Twitter: @RichN95
  • SeadooXP
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Not over rated just tactically naive
    Well said.

I dont have to compete in the tour to be critical of Andy. He belongs in a two tone white and light blue colored mid 60s VW Beetle Cabriolet with a big Leopard-trek logo pasted to the windshield.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:

yeah just caught that

hnnnmmghh

must be gutted really
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I think he needs a team built around him as it showed in this years TDF that no-one could lend him any real support in the mountains.

His brother Frank?? were you watching the same tour? Having someone as good at climbing as him certainly helped a great deal with tactics in the alps. The tactics employed on stage 18 with team members up the road also proved how strong a team he has. Couple that with the likes of Cancellara for the TTT who made sure he was up there from the beginning and Voigt who made the peleton suffer on the lower climbs, I would argue that there is a great deal of strength in depth from the team.
    In fact, it does beg the question of whether he has delivered enough, given the performance of the team.
    He is not as complete a rider as Contador or Evans and therefore think he is overrated a little.
  • seven7faces
    seven7faces Posts: 360
    I think part of his problem is that he was so good so young, where success came relatively easily to him, a pro at 19. Maybe he thought if he kept doing what he had been doing, as he got older and stronger he would blast away any competition.
  • Bronzie
    petejuk wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:

were you watching the same tour?
    This is a resurrected thread - this comment was made in Sept 2010
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    oops! apologies :oops:
  • Bronzie
    No worries. I hate it when threads return from the dead. Confuses the whole discussion.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Interview with Cyril Guimard in ProCycling (his proteges were Hinault and Fignon) who said AS was brought on too soon by Riis and should have been left another year to develop as a rider
    M.Rushton
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Andy has the required physical attributes but is lacking the head for it. He let everyone see how lacking in confidence he was on the descent by openly moaning about it so surprisingly they attacked him on a descent again the next day and TTing is as much mental as physical so he lost out there to his main rivals. On the plus side the brothers at least tried to work together to beat the opposition this year but Frank tired in the final week.