Chain Reaction Bikes

radav68
radav68 Posts: 9
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
My dad placed an order for a Tifosi CK7 from Chain Reaction Cycles. On Friday he recieved two boxes containing the parts to construct the bike. He had assumed that it would be pre/part assembled prior to delivery.

Does anyone know what their assembly policy is, their website is very vague.

Also, no seat tube clamp nor spacers nor bottle cage frame bolts supplied.

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Info ... D=2#faulty

Call them on tues. (Bhol weekend and all)
  • radav68
    Thanks Anto i've got the details ready for Tuesday.

But I was wondering if he was wrong to assume that the bike would be assembled. I've purchased two bikes on line, Pedal-On Gary Fisher Big Sur Wiggle Scott Speedster S20 both arrived built.

Has anyone else on here bought a bike from Chain Reaction and how did it arrive?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The joys of buying online...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    When you you assemble do you mean completely in bits? If so that sounds like a mistake.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • radav68
    Literally in bits.

A frame with nothing attached, loose b/b, headset, chainset, brake set, stem, handlebars, derailleurs boxed, chain wrapped in tissue paper, two rolls of handlebar tape,
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'd say that was a mistake, CRC sell to the mainstream public as well as enthusiasts, it would have been clearly pointed out it was a construction job if it was a box of bits.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd say mistake too...
  • I only bought a couple of bikes online, but they've all been built up. I got a Basso Astra from Velo29 and that was fully built. I changed the specs too, and they emailed me with regular updates. Don't know if they still do it, but Planet X charged me extra to put a headset in a new frame I bought off them a few years back. Thinking of getting a Kinesis winter bike next, maybe.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Sounds like a mistake to me too. Im sure they will sort something or offer a goodwill gesture
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Definitely sounds like a mistake
  • radav68
    Thanks for the replys guys, much appreciated to hear other peoples experiences.

Just to update, originally CRC confessed by email that the unassembled bike delivery was a mistake and asked for a photograph as proof. This was sent and the next day we received an email saying that whilst not advertised as such the bike was supplied "loose" and therefore they would offer no further assistance.

Needless to say we are still chasing them for the missing components.

Very poor response so far.
  • dodgy
    That just doesn't make sense! They admit a mistake, then say it's normal for them to send a bike 'loose' that wasn't advertised as such?
  • petemadoc
    I wouldn't have that!

You need a qualified bike mechanic to build a bike up from bits.

I'd be on the dog and bone blowing a fuse. Buying a bike online shouldn't mean it isn't built.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PeteMadoc wrote:

No you don't
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dodgy
    PeteMadoc wrote:

No you don't

Agreed, but it's hardly a realistic expectation to have to build a bike up from component parts when you buy from someone like CRC!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    radav68 wrote:

Just to update, originally CRC confessed by email that the unassembled bike delivery was a mistake and asked for a photograph as proof. This was sent and the next day we received an email saying that whilst not advertised as such the bike was supplied "loose" and therefore they would offer no further assistance.

If you live near Stafford/Cannock/Wolverhampton/Telford bring it round to me and I'll put it together for you.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This is simple. The goods were not "as described" so CRC failed to comply with the contract (a bike is a single, assembled item, not a collection of components that could make a bike).

Email them nicely but firmly saying they admitted the error, and they have failed to perform to contract, and they must collect the components and give a refund, or supply a built bike, or pay your costs to get an lbs to assemble it.

If they don't play ball, get heavy, write them a recorded delivery letter stating they have 7 days to reimburse/collect & refund/supply correct goods or you will go to the small claims court (https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome ).
  • dodgy
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    radav68 wrote:

If you live near Stafford/Cannock/Wolverhampton/Telford bring it round to me and I'll put it together for you.

that's a noble offer, and I'd do the same for someone in need. But the point is that there are pieces missing AND as far as the OP's thought he was buying a pre-assembled bike!
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    They're having a laugh, so send it back and buy elsewhere.

Distance selling regulations give you a 7 day cooling off period - after receipt of goods - during which you can send the goods back. Ordinarily you will have to pay for the return postage yourself - but in this case CRC has failed in their duty to provide clear information about the product sold. It's not a bike, rather it's the parts for a bike.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_183048
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    IShaggy wrote:
    They're having a laugh, so send it back and buy elsewhere.

Distance selling regulations give you a 7 day cooling off period - after receipt of goods - during which you can send the goods back. Ordinarily you will have to pay for the return postage yourself - but in this case CRC has failed in their duty to provide clear information about the product sold. It's not a bike, rather it's the parts for a bike.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_183048
    You are right about the distance selling regs and the right to return, but if the OP takes this approach rather than asserting their rights under the Sale of Goods act then it could get messy over the postage issue. If he demands they collect it or pay the lbs to build it etc then the OP won't get stuck arguing over the return costs.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    radav68 wrote:

well they just lost me a customer.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    This one? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35560 if so they're taking the piss. It shows a complete bike, it's called a bike and not a frame + bits and there's no mention of it arriving in bits in the description. I can't believe it's not a mistake (although at the same time it's hard to believe they'd accidentally ship it out in bits - do the big places like CRC get the bikes in bits and build them up, I thought they'd receive them pre-built to apart from their own brand stuff, or is Tifosi a CRC brand?). I'd certainly demand they either pay for an LBS to assemble or arrange and pay for a courier to collect and refund you.
  • petemadoc
    dodgy wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

No you don't

Agreed, but it's hardly a realistic expectation to have to build a bike up from component parts when you buy from someone like CRC!

OK so get your wife to order a bike online and then ask her to build it up from bits with an instruction manual. Fitting break and gear cables, fitting cassettes etc etc. Many people wouldn't have the right bl**dy tools.

No it doesn't take a "qualified" mechanic to build a bike but if I was buying a brand new bike from a real shop I would want a "qualified" or at least knowledgable bike mechanic to build it for me.
  • petemadoc
    Just to add

If I ran CRC and read this thread I'd be devastated. This is great example of sh*t customer service on display for all to see. Just to add a little SEO to the thread so others may find it on google

CHAIN REACTION CYCLES BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE
  • Big_Ste
    Big_Ste Posts: 28
    What absolutely disgusting customer service from CRC (not for the first time in recent months!).

Just what is happening over there at CRC? Its like they've all gone barmy.

Anyway, just for clarification they've just lost me as a customer too. My last couple of orders have had issues. Reading this thread has pretty much just hammered home the last nail in the CRC coffin for me, ill take my custom elsewhere.

It seems CRC just don't give a shit anymore! :cry:

PS im also going to email there customer service and point them in the direction of this thread. Lets see if they retract their original unhelpful and frankly disgusting response!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    PS im also going to email there customer service and point them in the direction of this thread. Lets see if they retract their original unhelpful and frankly disgusting response!

I couldn't care less if they give a Cannondale six to the OP, if they do just damage control rather than good cs to everyone all the time
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Big_Ste
    Big_Ste Posts: 28
    I couldn't care less if they give a Cannondale six to the OP, if they do just damage control rather than good cs to everyone all the time

Agreed!

I want this to end well for the OP, I would like to see a rep from CRC posting exactly what the problem is and hopefully get a good resolution for Radav68.

Have just emailed them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good grief - how bizarre . I would like to see CRC' side of things.

I've ordered kit from them before without issue.

Hope the car manufacturers don't go down this route.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    cougie wrote:
    Good grief - how bizarre . I would like to see CRC' side of things.

Agreed, no offence meant to the OP, but there are 2 sides to every story. So would like to hear from CRC on this one, as it just doesn't make any sense.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've been buying from CRC for several years and never had a bad experience so I won't be deserting them just yet, though I agree that this situation appears to have been badly dealt with.
    More problems but still living....