RLJ - don't do it

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't RLJ sorta.... What I am guilty of is kicking off in the time gap between the opposing lights being red and mine clicking to green when I can see that the opposing traffic is either stopped or not there particularly when turning right. I only do this purely to get a 1s jump on the traffic so I can get my feet in the straps and the power down rather than holding up the cars behind me.

Not really RLJing? more anticipating the lights? Or does this lump me in with RLJers?

Of course I could just work on my trackstanding I guess......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    MatHammond wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Fair enough, don't RLJ when there are people crossing / waiting to cross or when there is other traffic coming. Otherwise, it remains a grey area. Next.

Don't be a tw4t, fella. You're a proper rider. Set an example.

:lol: I'm actually pretty well behaved these days, but there are certain sets of lights where it just seems pointless to wait. Mostly I will though, but I'll then see loads of people cycle past me and I'll be thinking "what am I waiting for?" :?

Back to the OP, I think you can reasonably separate riding like a tw*t from jumping red lights - you can do the latter without the former, but that is just my opinion.

Agree with MH 100%
  • Monkeypump
    biondino wrote:
    Sorry, are any studies done on whether cyclists run more red lights than motorists? Are you mental? I know it's an anecdote but in 10,000 odd miles of riding, I would say maybe 50% of cyclists RLJ to 1% of vehicles (amber is a different matter I accept). No, I don't have accurate figures, but I'd say it's safe to say cyclists RLJ approximately 5000% more than vehicles. Hope that helps.

This is, I suspect, complete nonsense (except the acknowledgement that it's anecdotal).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    I don't RLJ sorta.... What I am guilty of is kicking off in the time gap between the opposing lights being red and mine clicking to green when I can see that the opposing traffic is either stopped or not there particularly when turning right. I only do this purely to get a 1s jump on the traffic so I can get my feet in the straps and the power down rather than holding up the cars behind me.

Not really RLJing? more anticipating the lights? Or does this lump me in with RLJers?

+1, I do this. But technically its RLJ, so you're just as bad as the guy who knocked over the OP's colleague. Apparently.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    SimonAH wrote:

I have to admit I do this fairly often when trying to get across a busy junction before the traffic behind me & occasionally when there's nothing around - cars/ pedestrians/whatever, i'll pootle through a red light. As Whitney Houston might say, it's not right, but it's ok (as long as there are no pedestrians/traffic around who do have right of way).
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Monkeypump wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Fair enough, don't RLJ when there are people crossing / waiting to cross or when there is other traffic coming. Otherwise, it remains a grey area. Next.

Don't be a tw4t, fella. You're a proper rider. Set an example.

:lol: I'm actually pretty well behaved these days, but there are certain sets of lights where it just seems pointless to wait. Mostly I will though, but I'll then see loads of people cycle past me and I'll be thinking "what am I waiting for?" :?

Back to the OP, I think you can reasonably separate riding like a tw*t from jumping red lights - you can do the latter without the former, but that is just my opinion.

Agree with MH 100%

Disagree 100%. And more to the point, RLJing makes us all look like tw*ts.
  • Regarding the 'cars do it' argument, there's quite a difference between dashing through a 'late amber' and completely ignoring a red.

Not legally, no, but in the eyes of Joe Public it's why there's such an objection to cyclists RLJ-ing.

MatHammond, I'm with biondino on this one. What are you waiting for? The lights to change. We all know you're fast enough to catch the other riders up. :)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Regarding the 'cars do it' argument, there's quite a difference between dashing through a 'late amber' and completely ignoring a red.
    This is true. Dashing through an amber light is potentially much more dangerous.

That's what you meant isn't it? :P
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Regarding the 'cars do it' argument, there's quite a difference between dashing through a 'late amber' and completely ignoring a red.
    This is true. Dashing through an amber light is potentially much more dangerous.

That's what you meant isn't it? :P

:lol:

Yes, yes it is, especially if you're a car. But no, that's not what I meant, as well you know.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I should add that jumping red lights in a manner than endangers correctly behaved pedestrians is worse than being a paedophile.
  • Hitler would RLJ.

Are we done?
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    MatHammond wrote:
    Otherwise, it remains a grey area.

No it's not. It's the law. Printed, mainly, in black and white.

RLJ=wrong
    No RLJ=right.

No argument.

'Cyclists' don't deserve to be respected as road users if they can't respect the rules of the road.

Motorists already resent cyclists enough as it is without giving them more reason to hate us.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Ah, this takes me back.

I heard that Naomi Campbell RLJ's on her way to the diamond market.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    I should add that jumping red lights in a manner than endangers correctly behaved pedestrians is worse than being a paedophile.

Utterly ridiculous comment.
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    _Brun_ wrote:

Utterly ridiculous comment.

So obvioulsy ridiculous that it could (must) be sarcasm....
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Dudu wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

RLJ=wrong
    No RLJ=right.

No argument.

Unfortunately, there are people out there who are somehow baffled by the simplicity of this reality, or are just to pig-headed and arrogant...

• Stuey01 wrote:
    Ah, this takes me back.

Mussolini made the trains run on time by telling them to RLJ.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    God didn't make the world in seven days by stopping for RLs
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Unfortunately, I suspect those cyclists who consciously RLJ are too self-righteous and/or arrogant to acknowledge it's wrong and will just keep on doing it ...

As with all walks of life, there's the 'wanker' element who tarnish it for everyone else ...
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Ah, this takes me back.

Mussolini made the trains run on time by telling them to RLJ.

That ball that Hitler lost? result of an acccident following him RLJing on Kensington Gore.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Crikey, I'm glad I got in early on this one - where's Headhuunter when you need him?!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Red Light Jumpers cause Global Warming

are all members of Al Qaeda

throw cats in bins

and auto-tune their wheels....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

throw cats in bins

I did once shoot a cat - does that count?!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MatHammond wrote:

throw cats in bins

I did once shoot a cat - does that count?!

Out of a cannon, through a RL?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Monkeypump
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Ah, this takes me back.

It's been a while though...
  • Monkeypump
    I'm sure someone once raised the "if a tree falls in the forest..." point with regard to RLJing.

So I RLJ in the middle of nowhere, with no sign of traffic or peds. Nowhere else. Yes, I'm happy to part of THAT w*nker element - it's called being practical.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Dudu wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

RLJ=wrong
    No RLJ=right.

No argument.

Except you are confusing right and wrong with legal and illegal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cyclists should pay road tax
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I'm sure someone once raised the "if a tree falls in the forest..." point with regard to RLJing.

So I RLJ in the middle of nowhere, with no sign of traffic or peds. Nowhere else. Yes, I'm happy to part of THAT w*nker element - it's called being practical.

He's a witch! Burn him!!!!!!!