Weight training

dan_cup
dan_cup Posts: 51
edited October 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Hello guys ive been into weight/resistance training for a couple of years and while it hasnt hampered my hour or so mtb ride im now moving into the road scene.

Im wondering if people do resistance work on thier legs or just rely on cycling work?

ive got my first sportive coming up and if i like it im looking to do more so I dont want my legs to be lifting big weights if its not going to benifit me.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Weights won't help you much if at all. Ride your bike more instead.
    More problems but still living....
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    In season, weights are a waste of time - you get more benefit from riding your bike more and a weights session knocks a few days out of your training week (one for the session itself, and the next day too because you can't train effectively while recovering from the weights).

In the winter, it's a different story, but be aware that the benefits are largely secondary (injury prevention, etc.).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the only time it would be of any benefit is in the winter, and only then because it just adds variety to your training and keeps your interest up...

Just my opinion obviously...
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Having lost over two stone since Feb, I was training hard on the weights everyday. I saw this image and felt I was getting bigger on top and though it looks good I suppose, it was detrimental to my hill work so I have completely stopped the upper body stuff and doing much less leg work, but will do leg stuff in the winter.

This picture was shot about 2 months back on a well ropey ride, but sort of gets across how I was looking on the bike. Check out the big guns LOL !

4815314782_a69a9bb7fd.jpg

I've now set my next target of 80kg for 30th March 2011 of which I am presently 89kg but aim to do it without weights.

• dan_cup
    dan_cup Posts: 51
    Cheers guys for the replies, not sure I could go so long with out pushing some weights at the gym, i do enjoy it.

Im certainly no meat head (weigh about 85-90kgs), I do it more for the tone than sheer size like the boys the gear.

Im into the cycling to help with weight loss as I know im carrying some lard about that i dont need.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    While weight training is both revered and reviled on this forum I don't think you can overlook what it does for bone strength, being a weight bearing exercise. I do it pretty much simply because it's great exercise and I like it(used to be a wanna-be bodybuilder).
    IMHO if you're looking to be a bike racer then race bikes and lift if you like, to help break the boredom(if it's a problem). I don't see a bit of a problem with lifting, along with riding, on a regular basis, if you're simply looking to stay fit and get fitter, and maybe hammer with the boys on occasion. A lot of the negativity towards lifting seems to come from people who seem to picture themselves as bike racers and therefore MUST concentrate on cycling to the exclusion of any other form of exercise. Anything else is obviously detrimental to winning on a bike. Or at least so they think.
  • dennisn wrote:
    While weight training is both revered and reviled on this forum I don't think you can overlook what it does for bone strength, being a weight bearing exercise.
    Weight training isn't all that effective at improving bone mineral density. You need "jarring" / impact type activity for that, e.g. running, jogging, skipping, or sports that have "jarring" type impacts.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Having lost over two stone since Feb, I was training hard on the weights everyday. I saw this image and felt I was getting bigger on top and though it looks good I suppose, it was detrimental to my hill work so I have completely stopped the upper body stuff and doing much less leg work, but will do leg stuff in the winter.

This picture was shot about 2 months back on a well ropey ride, but sort of gets across how I was looking on the bike. Check out the big guns LOL !

I've now set my next target of 80kg for 30th March 2011 of which I am presently 89kg but aim to do it without weights.

That's the junction of Norton's Wood Lane coming into Clevedon, isn't it? I claim my five pounds!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    While weight training is both revered and reviled on this forum I don't think you can overlook what it does for bone strength, being a weight bearing exercise.
    Weight training isn't all that effective at improving bone mineral density. You need "jarring" / impact type activity for that, e.g. running, jogging, skipping, or sports that have "jarring" type impacts.

Well, learning something new every day is all right by me. Appreciate that clarification.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Here's kind of a weird question. If "jarring / impact" activity strengthens bones does this
    include cycling? As even on the best of roads there is always some jarring going on? At least on my bike there is. Or is it not enough jarring to produce this effect? I've always heard that cycling doesn't help bone density. Also, if you're a runner does this bone density thing effect only the bones most stressed(legs) or is the whole skeletal system affected and density increase throughout reguardless of which bones are stressed?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    DaveyL wrote:

That's the junction of Norton's Wood Lane coming into Clevedon, isn't it? I claim my five pounds!

Yes, it is. Came in from Failand via Portbury on a cold and wet night - it were like like the Hell of the North, only in the South West. I have never been as muddy on a bike and loved every minute of it. That said, it once again reminded me that mudguards are great for the bloke on the bike, but not the bloke behind. Caked in shite is the term.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Here's kind of a weird question. If "jarring / impact" activity strengthens bones does this include cycling?
    No.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Also, if you're a runner does this bone density thing effect only the bones most stressed(legs) or is the whole skeletal system affected and density increase throughout reguardless of which bones are stressed?
    I would suggest the whole system based on my understanding, although I may be interpreting it incorrectly.

There are several studies, but this is probably the best one to summarise:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1574 ... stractPlus
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    As far as I recall bone growth responds to 'stress'. Bones that get placed under stress from more or less 'jarring' kind of exercise will tend to strengthen, those that dont wont. Which means that even running or walking hard wont toughen up your arms much (and obviously wont make eth tiny bones in your head, wrists etc grow) Which means swimming is rubbish for skeletal strength improvements, while road running is probabaly good. Cycling has little or no effect tho' I can imagine hard MTBing would have some effect. Heavy weight training is said to have moderate effect (but not more normal 12-16 reps).
    Bone growth is also dependant on diet (as bone is a collagen framework filled in with mineral 'cement') and various hormones.
    And herewith endeth todays lecture..... :wink:
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    But there's weight-lifting and there's weightlifting. Olympic lifts have an impact loading component and, I'd assume, be better in this respect.
  • It depends on how you lift weights - explosive lifting build twitch muscles which in turn give better explosive response. Though obviously only if you train the relevant muscles!

Don't forget that explosive sprinting needs a strong core, plus legs and even arms to pull on the bars. This is why all high level track sprinters incorporate weight into their training.

Its not a complete answer to say 'weight and cycling don't go'. It depends on what kind of weights and what kind of cycling. Given that most of us aren't going to be competing for a Grand Tour GC position, a moderate level of weights is advantageous and a much higher level of weight of the right weight training is essential for certain categories of cycling.

Anyone want to tell Chris Hoy to stop weight training?
  • Anyone want to tell Chris Hoy to stop weight training?
    If he was planning to take up the sport of endurance cycling, then yes, I would.

Even for Hoy and his events, there is a limit to the weight training he does - he's even said so himself. Too much bulk equals too much mass to accelerate and more bulk to push through the air. And strength requirements for his event are still relatively moderate compared to weight lifters for instance.
  • Ive just set the garage up to be able to mix the turbo and some minor lifting. Squats may help you in winter mode, but you'll 'cut up' once youre out on the bike again.

Guess itll keep the muscles working/in shape while the weathers restrictive.

Also, i didnt realise Chris Moyles was into cycling........ ;)
  • Anyone want to tell Chris Hoy to stop weight training?
    If he was planning to take up the sport of endurance cycling, then yes, I would.

Even for Hoy and his events, there is a limit to the weight training he does - he's even said so himself. Too much bulk equals too much mass to accelerate and more bulk to push through the air. And strength requirements for his event are still relatively moderate compared to weight lifters for instance.

Of course there is a limit - no one is suggesting bulking up. However weight training is an essential element for the elite. Take Cav for example who uses weight to develop twitch muscles for the sprint. I doubt very much Contador trains with weights however, 200g on his biceps would look like Big Guns!

The general view that weights = bulking up is wrong. Weights may = bulking up is true.
  • However weight training is an essential element for the elite.
    I would dispute that.
    The general view that weights = bulking up is wrong. Weights may = bulking up is true.
    Sure, but what are you actually trying to achieve that will be beneficial for endurance cycling performance?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yes, it is. Came in from Failand via Portbury on a cold and wet night - it were like like the Hell of the North, only in the South West. I have never been as muddy on a bike and loved every minute of it. That said, it once again reminded me that mudguards are great for the bloke on the bike, but not the bloke behind. Caked in shite is the term.

Nice. I recall with fondness the right/left 90 degree turns at the farm along Clevedon Lane, which my friends and I nicknamed "cowshit alley" - definitely P-R conditions in the wet!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    To the OP if you're goals are solely sportives/long distance cycling then I don't think weight training will help you're performance and the time spent on the bike will be more beneficial.

To the road racers I say hit the weights. Personally I'm sure weight training has improved my overall cycling. I am leaner, have more power, generally go faster.

I actually DO think Contador does weights.
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    amck111 wrote:
    To the OP if you're goals are solely sportives/long distance cycling then I don't think weight training will help you're performance and the time spent on the bike will be more beneficial.

To the road racers I say hit the weights. Personally I'm sure weight training has improved my overall cycling. I am leaner, have more power, generally go faster.

I actually DO think Contador does weights.

How do you come to the conclusion that Contador strength trains?
  • Anonymous
    Look at him enjoying feeling the burn on his guns. Proof.

contadorqus3.png
  • amck111
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Look at him enjoying feeling the burn on his guns. Proof.

contadorqus3.png

:lol: Clearly!

I believe he trains with weight because every cycling book I own claim that all top cyclists do it. I'd imagine he squats like an animal!
  • Anonymous
    amck111 wrote:
    I'd imagine he squats like an animal!

Yeah, like my Spaniel having a dump.
  • amck111
    Na, more like a poodle.
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    Weights will probably not help to develop endurance performance, they will most likely only help to develop peak force on the pedals, which will be useful in an acceleration type effort.

Force on the pedals is clearly an important part of cycling in that people operate best in a limited range of forces otherwise we wouldn't have geared bikes.

To me that suggests that weights may have some beneficial effect. But what are "weights" anyway? The permutations are almost endless, so any sweeping statement about "weight training" is likely to be both right and wrong in equal measure.

The literature is ambiguous at best with some studies suggesting benefits and others none. Studies are seldom done with elite cyclists and they are usually done with laughably small test populations (less than a dozen).

If an optimal regime of weight training were beneficial, it would be unlikely to give huge performance benefits. If it helped as much as 1% it would take a very large study to show this performance benefit beyond reasonable doubt.

The fact is that many elite athletes use weight training as part of their regimen, including some grand tour winning endurance cyclists, who probably know a thing or two about how to train.

Many other sports (eg lightweight rowing) use weights in a low/restricted bodyweight environment. Rowing is primarily a sport undertaken at VO2 max, but then I am told most cycling races are determined by periods of 4-5minutes at VO2 max which sort out the contenders. If that is true then it implies that weight training could be beneficial.

Personally I just enjoy doing weights and I like feeling "strong" when you improve. We will see if it helps my cycling at all.
  • thanks for all the replies.

The weights I do are usually 3 sets of 8 reps.

Mainly compound moves eg barbell bench press - 87.5kg my limit at mo

deadlifts - 105kg

squats - 122.5kg

Im no pro and jsut enjoy getting out on the bike but i also enjoy the weights
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    LJAR wrote:
    Weights will probably not help to develop endurance performance, they will most likely only help to develop peak force on the pedals, which will be useful in an acceleration type effort.

Force on the pedals is clearly an important part of cycling in that people operate best in a limited range of forces otherwise we wouldn't have geared bikes.

To me that suggests that weights may have some beneficial effect. But what are "weights" anyway? The permutations are almost endless, so any sweeping statement about "weight training" is likely to be both right and wrong in equal measure.

The literature is ambiguous at best with some studies suggesting benefits and others none. Studies are seldom done with elite cyclists and they are usually done with laughably small test populations (less than a dozen).

If an optimal regime of weight training were beneficial, it would be unlikely to give huge performance benefits. If it helped as much as 1% it would take a very large study to show this performance benefit beyond reasonable doubt.

The fact is that many elite athletes use weight training as part of their regimen, including some grand tour winning endurance cyclists, who probably know a thing or two about how to train.

Many other sports (eg lightweight rowing) use weights in a low/restricted bodyweight environment. Rowing is primarily a sport undertaken at VO2 max, but then I am told most cycling races are determined by periods of 4-5minutes at VO2 max which sort out the contenders. If that is true then it implies that weight training could be beneficial.Personally I just enjoy doing weights and I like feeling "strong" when you improve. We will see if it helps my cycling at all.

Regarding Rowing i heard each stroke is the equivalent to approx 100kg bench press which is significantly more force than the 18-25kg each leg required for endurance cycling as has been quoted.