The guilty spenders thread

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    scotto wrote:
    M1llh0use wrote:
    scotto wrote:
    recently did £755 on a pair of industry nines, but you only live once a?

oooh!!

pics?

and where'd you get them from?

have a couple on my iphone but left the lead at home,
    You know, normal people would just say "on my phone" :lol:
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    £650 on a seat post, handle bar, bar ends and botlle holder !!!

£2512 on a Ti frame and Lefty Fork ! ! !
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Have to put myself in this category too:

Late last year - ex-hire DH Session 10
    Early this year - C2W Boardman Team FS
    More recently this year - Saracen Zen HT frame and a snowballing build price with very few of the planned parts actually recycled from old bikes.
    Later this year - new road bike/frame and build??????

Other bikes are still in full working order. Main downside on the above is the Zen is as good as the Boardie uphill and kicking it's ass downhill. A new HT convert.......... only time will tell!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    scotto wrote:
    M1llh0use wrote:
    scotto wrote:

oooh!!

pics?

You know it wouldn't bother most normal people what I called my phone, maybe you have a chip on your shoulder :-)
  • scotto
    Simonhi wrote:

wow that's good work what seatpost and bar did you buy?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    scotto wrote:
    scotto wrote:
    M1llh0use wrote:
    scotto wrote:

oooh!!

pics?

You know it wouldn't bother most normal people what I called my phone, maybe you have a chip on your shoulder :-)

nah I'm 100% with yee a normal person would say phone. the people who name there phone generally have a chip onthere shoulder :p
  • scotto
    scotto wrote:
    scotto wrote:
    M1llh0use wrote:
    scotto wrote:

oooh!!

pics?

nah I'm 100% with yee a normal person would say phone. the people who name there phone generally have a chip onthere shoulder :p

hmm I think I get the picture here, well I am amazed at your response and the fact that you even bother to post that, I have come across some small minded stuff in my time but this one beats them all.

You need to get out more.

For the record I do not consider myself normal and am proud of that, if being normal is pulling people up over what they refer to their phone as then I really don't want any part of it.
  • Anonymous
    If being normal is NOT telling everybody "Oh, I have a call on my iphone/blackcurrant/nokia xjs9000" and so on, then I'll gladly be normal.

Seriously though, this only seems to happen with iPhone owners.
    Oh, and Audi TT owners. I've had several tell me how they drove their TT up the A470. Not how they drove their "car" up the 470.
    But you know, if you have such a small unit that you feel you must compensate by crowbaring the name of your expensive toy into as many places as possible, maybe I should not be mocking you, maybe I should be offering sympathy, or humouring you. But, I'd rather stick to my usual lack of tact and take the pi**.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    come on guys, it's friday afternoon and having had a couple of beers at lunchtime all this talk of chips is making me hungry :wink:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Anonymous
    I had chips for dinner, so my quota is good. They were great. mmmm. chips.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    edited August 2010
    i might have to order something i can't afford to bring the guilt back and stave off this hunger. hmmmmm, chips
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • scotto
    If being normal is NOT telling everybody "Oh, I have a call on my iphone/blackcurrant/nokia xjs9000" and so on, then I'll gladly be normal.

Oh, and Audi TT owners. I've had several tell me how they drove their TT up the A470. Not how they drove their "car" up the 470.
    But you know, if you have such a small unit that you feel you must compensate by crowbaring the name of your expensive toy into as many places as possible, maybe I should not be mocking you, maybe I should be offering sympathy, or humouring you. But, I'd rather stick to my usual lack of tact and take the pi**.

you have a lot of growing up to do, I wish you the best of luck.
  • If being normal is NOT telling everybody "Oh, I have a call on my iphone/blackcurrant/nokia xjs9000" and so on, then I'll gladly be normal.

I usually just refer to my phone as a walkie talkie..not sure what that says about me but hey...and ive noticed the audi thing seems to be the same with the a4 aswell
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Despite saying "that is it" for bike stuff, I thought that as I was returning a few bits to wiggle it would be rude not to re-spend the money. So I did, plus a bit more :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Seems I've hit a nerve! I'm not going to apologise, Scotto. I think it's Hilarious.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'm chuckling i have t admit too...

Sounds like a young kid trying to show of and when no one is impressed throws the toys out of the pram.
  • i juts confuse people by reffering to my phone as chuck, as in chuck berry :D (mentally im 3 years old, and this makes me laugh, almost as much as saying oh what does chuck want now and then getting out my phone)

oh or its called phoney mc phone phone
  • Anonymous
    ^^ That's just funny though :lol:
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Just accidently, after much umming , went and got the Edge 705 with HRM and Cadence.. Been staring at it for a while.

Accidental £300 spend, but at least i can sell the Polar F6 it's replacing on fleabay for a very small amount!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I have broken the chainstay on my Kona Firemountain. Looked at a replacement. Have "accidentally" replaced it with a 2010 Specialized Pitch Comp that I shoud hoepfully be collecting from the shop either this afternoon or tomorrow. :D
  • crimsondynamo
    crimsondynamo Posts: 246
    edited August 2010
    Mtb is such an expensive sport that's nigh on impossible not to feel guilty. It's not just the initial cost of buying one or more bikes, but the running costs (let alone upgrades) esp. with mtbs.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    scotto wrote:
    Simonhi wrote:

wow that's good work what seatpost and bar did you buy?

Bars are Schmolke flatbar SL oversize 600mm long, 100g.

Seat post is also Schmolke TLO 400mm 31.6mm dia. 107g.

Should be with me this week, then the build can be done.

Cheers,

Si.
  • Bought a gore alp x 3 jacket.

No doubt it will be like my last get used maybe 5 times a year and spend its life screwed up in my camelbak.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I was only swopping to a larger santa cruz frame and i ended up buying new wheels and some taper steer forks :oops: :oops:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    broke my yeti frame so was looking to rplace it with a similar 2nd hand frame and use all my old bits.

soon turned out to be new, frame,forks,gears,post,stem,saddle,tyres,crank and minus £3500 later i had a pretty much brand new nomad appart from wheels and brakes.

oooops :shock:
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Last couple of months started with being offered Carrera Hellcat 3 for £150, thinking the brakes were crap so getting a set of Hayes 9's that have cost me around £90 a monarch 3.3 £120 and some Rebas with carbon crown and steerer £150 bits and bobs probably cost me about another £80-£100 and now I want new wheels and sram shifters, dérailleurs, goodridge cables, new bb and crank set, stem, bars saddle and seat post. by the time I'm done all that will be original will be the frame on what was a nice bike to go to work on I got bitten by the upgrade bug lol
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • If I were a more talented rider I'd not feel so bad I think - bordering on the allthegearnoidea fringe these days I think.

That said, despite the costs I still think this is actually a fairly cheap hobby.

I used to be into cars, I shudder when I think how much money I peed away on that particular past time.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • A shiny set of 2011 Fox 36 Talas RLC 160's arrived at my door this morning. :oops:
  • Anonymous
    weescott wrote:
    A shiny set of 2011 Fox 36 Talas RLC 160's arrived at my door this morning. :oops:
    GOOD EFFORT! :D
  • GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    Having nearly spent £3000 in the last year (trek ex8 and numerous upgrades to my GT avalanche), i am toying with the idea of buying a Marin white line pro! worth it ? can i justify another £1,500 on a bike?. having only been riding a year. this mountain biking is addictive

GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011