The guilty spenders thread

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I've just spent a worrying sum on my planned mmmBop build. Was actually sweating as I hit the place order button. Immediately got an automated call from the CC company to verify the transaction!

It's all planned and accounted for and should be covered by selling off some other things. Even so, I have spender's guilt at the moment.

Anyone else care to join in?
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    similar thing last year when I bought my Zesty - I only wanted the 314 and even that (to me) was expensive.

But they didn't have one left...and I made the mistake of riding a 514....

Just keep telling yourself that it will last you for years and how much use you will get out of it......
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    I'm still reeling from last months £400 spend out on my old bike. One thing just kept leading to another! (Still made great savings would of normally cost £700rrp, result!!!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    come on, spill the beans, how much did you spend?
  • I was planning the king of the downs ride this summer (before injury) and thought i would upgrade a couple of bits on my Trek 1.5. Needless to say,over £600 later it is now fully kitted out in Ultegra with new bars and stem and pedals and cables and seat and . . . . . . . . .
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    come on, spill the beans, how much did you spend?

Total spend is £1100, though I'm being sneaky and using a donor bike for the build. Will sell of a few of the unwanted bits to recoup some of the bill.
  • Well i'm skint (so i tell myself) so only been buying second hand stuff, but still managed to get:

09 120mm Reba sl's
    RS Monarch 4.2 Rear shock
    Juicy 7 F+R Brakes
    Front brake adaptor(stupid post mount forks)
    New Magura shock pump(before i bought the shock which had one included anyway)
    Atomlab Aircorp pedals(quite liking the pinkness of these supposedly RED pedals)

Pricely sum of £400 all together so cant really complain as the shock is brand spankin in the packaging still. Result!!!

But end of month now and I cant wait for Friday when I can spend more. As i now NEED more bits (longer rear brake cable so i can fit the rear brake being the main one)

Can i resist getting some bling cables/cable ends....doubtful :D
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Planned to spend £500 on a new hardtail. Total spend since beginning of month on bike and some other bits is £1400.

Ooopps :lol:
  • I feel guilty if I spend more than £20.
  • DHA987S wrote:
    Planned to spend £500 on a new hardtail. Total spend since beginning of month on bike and some other bits is £1400.

Ooopps :lol:

Good stuff, I feel much better now. :lol:
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    i did 1800quid on a trek fuel last month, felt a bit guilty but only till it broke both my wrists...

:roll:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • How did it break both your wrists Millhouse?
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    OTB on a kicker jump.

managed a whole 15 minutes riding the new bike!! :lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I got myself a new 50" plasma tv a couple months ago and the guilt of that nearly killed me even though i'd planned and budgeted for it.

Im about to throw £1700 down on a trek remedy this week and the guilt hasnt sunk in yet, it prob wont until i actually have it, thats how it usually works for me :oops: :lol:
  • thats one of the reasons i dont like kicker jumps, give me a flat ramp anyday.

GWS dude hope yout out there again soon
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • Bought a On-One Scandal at the the start of the year (when there was an offer on) with a view of moving parts from older bike onto it.

One new set of Hope wheels, bottom bracket and headset later it had gone from the region of a £200 frame change to £600 rebuild.

Love it though.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    I'm feeling guilty about how much i'm GOING to spend on my 456. I haven't even spent it yet! only have the fork at the moment, had to snap it up, was the last one in stock and the price was amazing.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Wooh, going through this in my head at the moment, would really like a full sus bike (see other thread in buying advice) and looking at several options including a bike that my LBS are keeping my name on for a while, but gona have to spank the CC then sell the Dale and bits including, vairous watches, un used surfboard etc to pay it off.

and got to clear all that with er indoors as I said we couldn't afford a holiday this year, talk about guilt :? :? :?
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Wanted a cheap DH bike and wanted to spend no more than around £600...2 months later I blew £2200 on a Session 8 :shock:
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I don't know about guilty but i feel like i've been gang raped ....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=278

£4 for a DMR end cap... sheesh....
  • i feel guilty for my current plan of REBA XX's and new wheels, then a mojito, which gets new brakes, saddle and grips.

ahwell, this is what the student loan was meant for :D

and that bad boy list is looking at around £1000 haha, then ive gotta pay rent, bills, food, and all that other stuff.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    then a mojito

i know cocktails can be pricey in fancy bars but surely this can't be counted as part of a mountain bike project budget :wink:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Just bought a new pair of grips, wider handle bars and a shorter stem that I "need"........obviously. £85 though!! Woo!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    to the earlier post about being gangraped....

check out the CRC price for 1 c clip....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22487
  • just reading this thread makes me want to buy something :(

I bought Revelation Team U-turn forks instead of saving for a flat last month :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    weeksy59 wrote:
    I don't know about guilty but i feel like i've been gang raped ....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=278

£4 for a DMR end cap... sheesh....
    You've gotta love one of the reviews for those end caps,

"these are amazing they really boosted the performance of the pedals and my speed.a little expensive but well worth it"

:roll:
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    This year (from last Novemeber) has been mental on the spending. Blur LTC frame + Revelations, Joplin, Tompson post and stem, grips, XTR, multitudes of tyres and clothing, sadle, hope X2 breaks then Formula Carbon R1's, discs, pads, cables chains, lube, greese, stans and tools etc etc... now I've just got a £1000 odd racer for my commute and training. Looking at some new wheels next...

Question is does it make me a better rider. Nope! But it does make me VERY happy and I am riding a lot more than I ever have done in the 16 years that I have been playing at this sport.
  • Danny-T
    Danny-T Posts: 129
    Sold my house and was in the process of buying a new one before being bent over by the mortgage lenders. Am now living in a caravan saving like mad to be able to actually buy a home so of course any indulgent spending is absolutely out of the question... except... Last week spent £100 on mtb clothing, on the weekend spent £1700 on a Trek Remedy (good choice jayson ;)).

I only re-discovered mtb a couple of months ago and started this escapade with intentions of finding an £800 full susser. Ooops :P
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I wanted a slightly more aggressive trail bike, and was hoping to buy somethng cheap and second hand for about £800.

Instead I spent about £1,800 on custom building a female specific Orange 5 :shock:

Worth it though.... :D

orangejump2.jpg
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Well, got my dispatch emails tonight so all being well I'll get to make a start on stripping the donor and building the Bop this weekend.
  • I feel guilty for spending less than a tenner on some white gear outers. Imagine how i feel about buying the rest of the bike.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.