The guilty spenders thread

Comments

• In the last month a Reba SL and a set of ZTR crests on Hope Pro IIs have gone on to my bike. The bike in question was bought new for £400 and still has combined brakes and shifters :shock: So spender's guilt combined with an urge to rip off the entire groupset and get some SLX on there :oops:
  • In the last month a Reba SL and a set of ZTR crests on Hope Pro IIs have gone on to my bike. The bike in question was bought new for £400 and still has combined brakes and shifters :shock: So spender's guilt combined with an urge to rip off the entire groupset and get some SLX on there :oops:

What bike is it then?
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • What bike is it then?

Merida Matts 40 with mechanical rather than hydraulic disks :lol: Much better with the Gila replaced by a Reba though so the guilt on that one died down pretty quickly!
  • I recently bought my first multi-thousand pound bike, and I was in a cold sweat when the "click here to complete purchase" button was indeed clicked.
    I then calmly got up, left the office, walked round the corner and shouted "YA FCUKIN' DANCER!" at the top of my voice.

Guilty?
    No chance!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    My Lbs is waiting for parts to build me a blur lt carbon with 2011 carbon world cup revs, 2011 xtr group , king headset and bb and crossmax st's
    Whoops.
  • Samps
    Samps Posts: 10
    I think I need to enter here as well... I've gone a bit mad recently having spent well over £1500 now on a new build... I haven't even got the frame, chain, front wheel or pedals to stand on yet either!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As well as guilt I just had a Spenders Cold Sweat when I worked out how much overtime I'm going to have to do to pay off my credit cards by Christmas and buy the children nice presents. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mind you due to the fact I'm feeling guilty about bike expenditure, they can except a daddy to be quite generous this year to help with the guilt front.
  • What bike is it then?

Merida Matts 40 with mechanical rather than hydraulic disks :lol: Much better with the Gila replaced by a Reba though so the guilt on that one died down pretty quickly!

Merida make some cracking frames, so well worth the upgrades.
  • I recently bought my first multi-thousand pound bike, and I was in a cold sweat when the "click here to complete purchase" button was indeed clicked.
    I then calmly got up, left the office, walked round the corner and shouted "YA FCUKIN' DANCER!" at the top of my voice.

Guilty?
    No chance!

The Devinci I presume. That thing looks like it could ride through the Apocalypse, I'd be more worried about it arriving with War in the saddle.

Off topic, I was up in Falkirk for a wedding this weekend. Some fine looking riding scenery you have up there.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    I recently bought my first multi-thousand pound bike, and I was in a cold sweat when the "click here to complete purchase" button was indeed clicked.

Guilty?
    No chance!

good lad , guilt is for saps.
    spend , spend , spend , you could die tmorro.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I sent my frame in for a warranty replacement, told my wife it wouldn't cost anything except the postage.

Replacement frame is awesome but nothing fits......well thats my story and I am sticking to it. So I have laid down a shed load on new parts. Well .....my wife has really....... cause I spent all my money on my other build :oops:

My wife (the poor woman) has just turned a blind eye and just accepted my distorted logic. I think she realizes that no amount of therapy or drugs can cure the addiction I have.
  • _tom_
    _tom_ Posts: 45
    Just spent £220 on a 2nd hand road bike of all things and feel guilty enough about it!! That's a big spend for me, I'm usually very tight. Also got some "new" bars/stem for the mtb, only £30 though.

When I get into a good, stable money situation I think I'm gonna go all out and buy a proper big downhill bike, can't wait!
  • Noel PT wrote:
    I sent my frame in for a warranty replacement, told my wife it wouldn't cost anything except the postage.

Replacement frame is awesome but nothing fits......well thats my story and I am sticking to it. So I have laid down a shed load on new parts. Well .....my wife has really....... cause I spent all my money on my other build :oops:

My wife (the poor woman) has just turned a blind eye and just accepted my distorted logic. I think she realizes that no amount of therapy or drugs can cure the addiction I have.

If you die, can I have your wife? :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've just spent a worrying sum on my planned mmmBop build. Was actually sweating as I hit the place order button. Immediately got an automated call from the CC company to verify the transaction!

It's all planned and accounted for and should be covered by selling off some other things. Even so, I have spender's guilt at the moment.

Anyone else care to join in?
    Yep. I spent a silly amount of money on a seatpost on Monday. It is great, but SOOOOO expensive.
  • Found a slight variation on the ideal number of bikes formula:
    N = N + 1 + K where K = kayak.

I figured it would an ideal compliment to biking, hoping it arrives before the weekend.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • BlueAdvocate
    BlueAdvocate Posts: 266
    edited August 2010
    Bought a new hardtail last year, only to fork out on a Trek Remedy a month ago .. . it's a great bike and I got a great deal but definitely feel guilty.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Oh my god I feel like a bit of a knob right now. I bought a pair of bikes (for me and my wife) 2 days ago which are still at the shop waiting to be picked up. Rather excited as this is the first bike I've had since I was a kid.

Sat down at the computer last night to order a £5 puncture repair kit.. Ended up reading every review at every web site of every accessory you can imagine. By 3am I was sat there with 10 browser tabs open, had ordered random stuff from 3 different sites, and am now £400 poorer. To top it all I'm now too tired to work effectively too!

I seem to have bought everything from pants to mudguards with cleaning kits, pumps and lights on the way. I STILL need to buy locks too. I would hide it from the mrs but soon lots of boxes are going to arrive in the post!

Argh.. PayPal is evil!

Dub
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Bought an Orange G2 and within 3 weeks had replaced lots of perfectly good components with pointless red anodised parts.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • I've just spent a worrying sum on my planned mmmBop build. Was actually sweating as I hit the place order button. Immediately got an automated call from the CC company to verify the transaction!

It's all planned and accounted for and should be covered by selling off some other things. Even so, I have spender's guilt at the moment.

Anyone else care to join in?

Yeh, I did the same thing with my Mmmbop.

Plan was to get the frame, a new (cheap) seatpost and headset and have EVERYTHING come to less than £300, just move everything off the 456.

I think I'm currently into it for somewhere around £800. Mainly silly things like new brake lines, expensive brake levers and such things. Still, keeps me out from under the wifes feet so I'm not too guilty.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    will be ordering a whyte 146 S when i find a new job, but until then i imagine ill continue to lavish the maxlight with new kit, so far this year its had new forks, new wheels, new brakes, new grips, new tyres, new bars and stem, new seatpost, new saddle, new headset etc etc, must have spent nearly a grand on it overall, so i have no one to blame but myself :lol:
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    recently did £755 on a pair of industry nines, but you only live once a?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    camerone wrote:
    My Lbs is waiting for parts to build me a blur lt carbon with 2011 carbon world cup revs, 2011 xtr group , king headset and bb and crossmax st's
    Whoops.

Good choice, almost exactly the same as mine but I'm all 2009/10. Without a doubt, the most versitile and best bike I've ever ridden.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    scotto wrote:

oooh!!

pics?

and where'd you get them from?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am just about to change my Ritchie Pro bars and seat posts with Ritchie Carbon items. I have absolutely no reason at all for doing this, other than a love of the black weave.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    It makes me really sad to hear about everyone buying Trek Remedy's, when that's what I want. I'm going to have to start cutting out all of the non-essential items and saving. Kids don't really need shoes, we don't really need electricity I don't think and I'm going to go home and drown the dog.
  • oh man. I just spent $1000cdn (a bit over $600gbp) on a used dh bike (rocky mountain flatline 1), $300cdn (180gbp) on a troy lee d2 helmet, and $90 ($55gbp) on pedals, grips and gloves from crc all in the past week. That totals up to about $1400cdn or $845gbp. Taking into account that I am 16 working part time, and my parents dont assist me moneywise at all, that is about the equivalent of the amount of money it takes me around 3-4 months to make. You know damn right im feeling guilty right now.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    oh man. I just spent $1000cdn (a bit over $600gbp) on a used dh bike (rocky mountain flatline 1), $300cdn (180gbp) on a troy lee d2 helmet, and $90 ($55gbp) on pedals, grips and gloves from crc all in the past week. That totals up to about $1400cdn or $845gbp. Taking into account that I am 16 working part time, and my parents dont assist me moneywise at all, that is about the equivalent of the amount of money it takes me around 3-4 months to make. You know damn right im feeling guilty right now.

I wouldn't, I'd feel proud! That's what working is for, to pay for things you want. Well done!
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    M1llh0use wrote:
    scotto wrote:

oooh!!

pics?

and where'd you get them from?

have a couple on my iphone but left the lead at home, will put them up next week.

got them from www.trailjunkies.com but you can get them from near on anyone who has an account with the importer for the same price, red black and silver £755 rrp other colours are £800.

they take 2 weeks to arrive, nice wheels though.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    oh man. I just spent $1000cdn (a bit over $600gbp) on a used dh bike (rocky mountain flatline 1), $300cdn (180gbp) on a troy lee d2 helmet, and $90 ($55gbp) on pedals, grips and gloves from crc all in the past week. That totals up to about $1400cdn or $845gbp. Taking into account that I am 16 working part time, and my parents dont assist me moneywise at all, that is about the equivalent of the amount of money it takes me around 3-4 months to make. You know damn right im feeling guilty right now.

guilt for buying all that gear aged just 16! you have nothing, absolutely nothing, to feel guilty about. you're 16 FFS, make the most of this short window in your life where the only person who matters in the world is YOU. no mortgage or bills to pay, no house or car to keep maintained, no family to feed, no significant other to lavish with expensive gifts. spend your hard earned cash on what makes you happy, in this case
    BIKES!
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • After weeks of ummming and aaahhhing pushed the "buy" button on a pair of Royce track hubs for £268.

For..... wait for it..... replacements for a pair of track wheels that I've never ridden! .
    :shock:

Didn't realise how crappy the CKT hubs were and it took me almost two weeks to find a lock ring that would fit the thread!