considerably faster than yow

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    Do you all commuter on nice racing bikes in yer lycra and have the privilege of a shower at work that allows you to all thrash yourselves?

Yes. Well, I do anyway. I ask the question about facilities at contract interviews. No facilities to change and shower, and park my bike securely is a massive negative.

+1. There's a shower where I work.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I pottered in today, but on after work, I was off MTBing so a 8 mile dash across town, did it in 30 mins, but I was giving it some welly and that was on a MTB with painfully slow mud tires.

but normally Its above 10mph average on the town bike but not by much!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    biondino wrote:
    Moving average or overall average? I don't doubt you can ride fast enough to average 20mph, but I do doubt that with any amount of obligatory stops (you do stop at red lights, right?) and traffic you'd be fast enough in the fast bits to make up for it. When there's no traffic, okay, sure. There is never no traffic on Fulham/Kings Roads, I can assure you of that.

Also, Bexley to Charlton is hardly London :)

Only 6 sets of lights on that route :lol: . One b'stard small hill at 15%. Great going in clocked some nice speeds down it. Coming home it's a corker to climb hard. Nice rolling and free flowing route that is why I choose it .Very good for intervals.

20.6 is moving.

And believe me it is proper London traffic.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    20.1mph moving average this morning. Am still sweating. It'll be a helluva lot less on the way home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    new PB on the borisbike journey in
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/89407
    10.4mph avg, sub 20mins total, 18m23 moving, rah! i must have caught some of DDD's power awesome from somewhere.

i checked out the map to see where i was supposedly hitting 30mph on the out-route, and it looks like thats just a gps glitch bouncing off the tall buildings, as it also send my route slightly off too (should be showing straight along cannon st). shame.

People musta thought i was mental when i docked the boris, checked my timer and started punching the air "GET IN THERE!!!!!!"
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Best was a couple of weeks ago 20.8mph moving ave from cannock chase to Brum cuty centre 7.30-8.30ish.

Usually 17.5-19 at the beginning of the week dropping to hight 16s or lower towards friday.

Pretty heavy traffic for half of the way and lumpyish too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    6 sets of lights! I wish. I have at least at order of magnitude more than that :(

I always record door to door average. None of his moving average rubbish ;)

The redesign of the junction and rephasing of the lights at mansion house has added a couple of minutes to my journey. Must find another way...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I let the comp do its "turn off the clock while stationary" thing. Normally on by default for most people surely. It says I did this mornings run at a bit over 17 mph :D

plus I then have to walk for 10 mins to local gym for my shower - tis more than worth it though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    JonGinge wrote:
    6 sets of lights! I wish. I have at least at order of magnitude more than that :(

The redesign of the junction and rephasing of the lights at mansion house has added a couple of minutes to my journey. Must find another way...

Indeed. BTW, I'm currently turning off Upper Thames St at Queen St (opposite end of Southwark Bridge), a short pootle over the shared access pedestrianised bits, crossing Cannon Street, then right onto Poultry, left onto Old Jewry, right onto Gresham St, and left onto Moorgate. Seems to work out fairly well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Moving average is fine, not rubbish. I don't want traffic lights tainting my average, I have to stop for them, I don't want to.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    ..and you get to 'recover' at each set.

We've all been down this road before
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    JonGinge wrote:

Which way are you going through them? When going south->north I always used to go Southwark Bridge Road, across Upper Thames Street. Straight left onto Skinners Lane, Little Trinity Lane and pop out on Queen Victoria Street. Misses the lights altogether, but only works South to North.

Wierdly it looks like now if you pop out there, you can't get further North without turning right and doubling back down Cannon Street.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    ..and you get to 'recover' at each set.

We've all been down this road before

But you also have to slow down and then speed up again :P

I want the police to close the roads for me so I can have a proper crack at my commute. I reckon 50ish mins is possible.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Here's this morning's commute, http://t.co/iGFVZm0 So av speed of 16.2739 mph, moving speed of around 19mph. I hit around 17 sets of lights which really messes things up. Still shamed 2 roadies this morning though, they jumped every light from Battersea to Vauxhall Cross and I caught and passed them every time. Pathetic. :lol:
  • jonginge
    dresbo wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Which way are you going through them? When going south->north I always used to go Southwark Bridge Road, across Upper Thames Street. Straight left onto Skinners Lane, Little Trinity Lane and pop out on Queen Victoria Street. Misses the lights altogether, but only works South to North.

Wierdly it looks like now if you pop out there, you can't get further North without turning right and doubling back down Cannon Street.
    East/west ;)

It's the homeward journey that's affected. I used to be able to barrel down from bank along queen victoria and the two sets of lights were in phase. Now you always get red on the first one and now the second stays red for a while after that. 5 out of the first 7 minutes of the journey are stationary :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Not sure my way is any improvement. On the way home, I always get stopped at the lights where Queen St crosses Queen Vic St, and then again as it crosses Cannon St, and then AGAIN as I turn onto Upper Thames St.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Out here where we don't have traffic or red lights I can do my 20.5 mile commute in around 1h 5m with some push. PB is 56:30 & then 59:58 and ~1h 10m as a steady run, all of which which maps to anything between 17 to 20+mph.
  • dresbo
    Here's this morning's commute, http://t.co/iGFVZm0 So av speed of 16.2739 mph, moving speed of around 19mph. I hit around 17 sets of lights which really messes things up. Still shamed 2 roadies this morning though, they jumped every light from Battersea to Vauxhall Cross and I caught and passed them every time. Pathetic. :lol:

Now there's a flat commute. I'm sure you didn't use 400 calories doing that did you? I think my Garmin really overestimates. ridewithgps says I use about 550 for 10 miles with 500 feet of height gain and loss, and I'm normally going flat out, which is slightly more conservative. 19 mph average is pretty good in London.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    dresbo wrote:

Now there's a flat commute. I'm sure you didn't use 400 calories doing that did you? I think my Garmin really overestimates. ridewithgps says I use about 550 for 10 miles with 500 feet of height gain and loss, and I'm normally going flat out, which is slightly more conservative. 19 mph average is pretty good in London.

Pancake. No way I used 400 calories!
  • jonginge
    dresbo wrote:

mmmm, pancakes *drools*

Edit: sorry, missed breakfast this morning. Need food...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    JonGinge wrote:
    dresbo wrote:

mmmm, pancakes *drools*

Edit: sorry, missed breakfast this morning. Need food...

Nom Nom Nom
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • As everyone's doing it, here's my ride to work the other morning.

http://runkeeper.com/user/edschroeder/activity/14805583
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • dresbo
    As everyone's doing it, here's my ride to work the other morning.

I like that the site gives you mile splits. I hope I'm that committed to uploading mine once the novetly wears off.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Heres my (circuitous) route home :)

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/88972
  • dresbo
    notsoblue wrote:

Seems the speed reading kept dropping out - either that or you have a curious technique :D
  • dresbo wrote:
    As everyone's doing it, here's my ride to work the other morning.

I like that the site gives you mile splits. I hope I'm that committed to uploading mine once the novetly wears off.

So long as you start and stop the app, you don't have to do anything else manually. A few of my friends also use it so the element of competition helps...
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • notsoblue
    dresbo wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Seems the speed reading kept dropping out - either that or you have a curious technique :D

Traffic lights :)
  • JonGinge wrote:

much shorter route, and very outer london, but i've reduced it down to 3 of which only one I normal have to stop as the other two are just ped ones.
  • You must understand that, much like the declaration of penis size, stating average commuting speed on the internet is subject to a bullshit factor of between twenty and thirty percent. At least with hard work one can increase one's average speed.

PS. 8.5' and 20mph.
  • notsoblue
    You must understand that, much like the declaration of penis size, stating average commuting speed on the internet is subject to a bullshit factor of between twenty and thirty percent. At least with hard work one can increase one's average speed.

PS. 8.5' and 20mph.

Not if you have GPS! Though I suppose you could cheat by skitching the whole commute. But then that would be an achievement in itself :P