Hey, how's THIS for awesome power?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    rjsterry wrote:
    Gritty sound when it turns?

No, not at all.

Hmm, you said something about a bit of orange metal - does it look as though the cups have started to unscrew from the frame, and then maybe one of them has stripped a bit of thread when it was loaded, but not properly screwed in.

The first BB in my roadie lasted about 11 years, but I was warned by the LBS that I shouldn't expect the same from its replacement (just a bog standard Shimano UN54, IIRC).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Gritty sound when it turns?

No, not at all.

Hmm, you said something about a bit of orange metal - does it look as though the cups have started to unscrew from the frame, and then maybe one of them has stripped a bit of thread when it was loaded, but not properly screwed in.

The first BB in my roadie lasted about 11 years, but I was warned by the LBS that I shouldn't expect the same from its replacement (just a bog standard Shimano UN54, IIRC).

Quite feasbily - my first thought on looking at it was 'that needs to be tightened up but I have no idea how' hence why I took it to Evans.

Is it easy to screw them back in? Could I avoid paying £50-odd squid to Evans?
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2010
    Depends on the BB, but you'll need something like this

15636.jpg

and a big spanner. Having said that, if you've ridden any distance on it with the cup hanging out, you are quite likely to have damaged the BB, so it might be best to replace it anyway. You can do this with the same tool. I think it might be worth getting Evans/LBS to check the frame as well, as it does sound like you might have stripped the thread on the BB shell.

£50 is a bit steep, but by the time you've bought the tool @ about £15 + BB @ about £20, you're pretty close.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rjsterry wrote:

15636.jpg

and a big spanner.

and a crank puller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    nicklouse wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Depends on the BB, but you'll need ....
    and a crank puller.

Yeah, but if the "whole BB is moving inside the frame" then it's quite possible that the internals of the BB are fine (no grindy noises) but the BB cup(s) arn't seated properly.

Given the youth of the bike, it's possible that there's either been a machining error, resulting in oversized/improperly formed threads, a BB shell failure (look for cracks in the shell) or simply poor assembly...cross-threading and stripping the BB shell threads.

Hopefully it's just loose, but any of the above would be pretty much terminal, and definitely a warranty issue.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Jeebus!

Fingers crossed for 'just loose'.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    nicklouse wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

15636.jpg

and a big spanner.

and a crank puller.

thats a cassette remover, not a bb tool
  • rjsterry
    nicklouse wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

15636.jpg

and a big spanner.

and a crank puller.

Oo-ah. One of those too. Need to get the cranks of first to be able to get to the BB.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Big Wib wrote:
    no idea what the bike is but she might enjoy stopping suddenly....

Skids are for kids :wink:

That is an awesome bike though.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • rjsterry
    tri-sexual wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

15636.jpg

and a big spanner.

and a crank puller.

thats a cassette remover, not a bb tool

No it isn't. They look similar, but there are too many splines for a cassette tool

This is a cassette tool

lifeline-1015.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Peyote
    Peyote Posts: 2,189
    No it isn't. They look similar, but there are too many splines for a cassette tool

This is a cassette tool

Isn't that a freewheel tool?

My cassette tool looks similar, but has a rod of metal sticking out so that it can seat itself into a hollow axle.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    To be honest, I think you may be making a mountain here. That orange stuff may just be thread lock.

It does sound like a session with a crank remover and BB tool are in order. Oddly I bought both of these to be able to full clean and lube the cranks and BB on my Tricross (the Madone needs a different tool as it's got the 'external' BB), cost me £30 for the pair... the BB tool is an all in one version though, not one you need to use a spanner with.

I needed a hammer (rubber) to get the BB to come off, and fortunately remembered that they are opposite threads (clockwise to loosen on one side) before I tightened it too much!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    Peyote wrote:

This is a cassette tool

Isn't that a freewheel tool?

My cassette tool looks similar, but has a rod of metal sticking out so that it can seat itself into a hollow axle.

The freewheel tool is very similar as well. The locating pin is an optional extra - my cassette tool doesn't have one, but I just use my QR skewer to hold it in place.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Jeebus!

That's far more likely- it shouldn't have happened but would be an easy fix. BB cup/shell failure is rare... sufficiently so that it should be straightforward if you do have to get it sorted under guarantee.

Not as awesome though...

I take it you don't have a free-first-service type deal... this would be a perfect opportunity to use it, if you do!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Jeebus!

That's far more likely- it shouldn't have happened but would be an easy fix. BB cup/shell failure is rare... sufficiently so that it should be straightforward if you do have to get it sorted under guarantee.

Not as awesome though...

I take it you don't have a free-first-service type deal... this would be a perfect opportunity to use it, if you do!!

Cheers,
    W.

Alas no.

I've just spoken to the guy on the phone, and he is gong to call me back. I'm going to ask for them to refund me the Evans' costs anyway, my earlier estimate was incorrect and I've only had the bike for under 2 months and the fellow agrees that the BB shouldn't have wound itself loose in that time.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dammit, I was all ready to make a *smug* Viner qualirt control gag.

Still, that is Awesome to the power of FG.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Dammit, I was all ready to make a *smug* Viner qualirt control gag.

Still, that is Awesome to the power of FG.

My problem wasn't due to anything the factory did. And they did a great job on the repair. So there.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Big Wib wrote:
    no idea what the bike is but she might enjoy stopping suddenly....

Snot on keyboard.
  • OK... I think I may have the BB tool, what does a crank puller look like?
  • nicklouse
    OK... I think I may have the BB tool, what does a crank puller look like?

depends on the fitting. but is a Square taper. this might help
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Hmmmm OK, thanks. Going to have a crack at it myself this evening rather than giving up and going straight to Evans.

The guy I bought it from has asked me to speak to Fuji (he's given them my details), but confirmed that he will replace the frame if need be.

I'm not super-happy about this, in my eyes I bought the frame from him so it's his problem, but I'm willing to talk to Fuji.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    nicklouse wrote:
    OK... I think I may have the BB tool, what does a crank puller look like?

depends on the fitting. but is a Square taper. this might help
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

*Mentally trawls through tool box*

*Scratches head*

:idea: Ahhhhhh! That's what that is!!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Spoke to Fuji who've been super-nice and helpful, glad I cancelled my Evans appointment, they've said have a go at it myself this evening, if it won't play ball or I don't have the tooling drop it in to one of their dealers and they'll get it sorted, either with a new BB, a simple tightening up, or a new frame.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Make sure you've not got self extracting bolts first before you buy a tool. Alternatively ride round in circles with the bolts out carefully, that will loosen it. Keep checking though becuase you can knacker the cracks. Actually, don't do that, just in case.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I have a lidl bike tool kit...

I am not sure what most of the things in it are, but the bb tool RJS posted earlier looks very familiar.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I think that's got a crank puller in it.

I'm sure it's got a bb tool.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The Lidl kit has a crank puller and a BB tool, fitting Shimano BBs. If it's non-Shimano splined, you'll have to go to the shop. The long allen key (with a socket attachment) fits onto crank bolts and the crank puller, while the socket attachment should fit onto the BB tool.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • lardboy wrote:
    The Lidl kit has a crank puller and a BB tool, fitting Shimano BBs. If it's non-Shimano splined, you'll have to go to the shop. The long allen key (with a socket attachment) fits onto crank bolts and the crank puller, while the socket attachment should fit onto the BB tool.

Could you provide helpful illustrations?
  • nicklouse
    LiT the like i provided lists the tools and if you click on the tool numbers you get tool info.
    det_CCP-22_001_20081022_90461.jpg
    det_CWP-7_001_2009121_16807.jpg

examples.

what is the crank fitting?