Hey, how's THIS for awesome power?

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
So there I was, cycling to the canal for kayaking, laying out what I consider to be pretty mid-range levels of awesome.

Got to the canal, found out that the session was cancelled, so turned back to head home. As I clipped in, I thought 'hmmmm, something (apart from my knees) is up here, what's the deal, bike?'

But off I went.

A few hundred yards of moderate awesome later, I stop again. Something's definitely amiss. Funny wobbly feeling. So I check all the spokes on both wheels, check the wheels are true, check I've done up the axle bolts. All seems fine. Tres étrange.

As an afterthought, I grab the crank and give it a wiggle. WTF? It's wobbly. This is weird. so I do the other one. Also wobbly. WTF? I have a good look, up close and personal with my BB, and the whole bl**dy thing's wobbling. Worse yet, there's a little bit of BB holding bit of frame (I can tell 'cos it's orange) sticking up. Like a sliver of metal. Like something bad has happened.

Again, WTF?

Anyway. I popped to Evans in Brentford, who were also impressed with my awesomeness, and have said they'll give it a service and potentially replace the BB for £27.50, excl parts.

I will be calling the people who sold it to me, I've only had it 2 and a half months.

But I thought I'd tell you all how awesome I am.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I need to copywrite the phrase

"The power awesome"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

"The power awesome"

You'd be better off copyrighting it.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    LiT, what gear are you running?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    LiT - that's not your Bowery is it? I ask as I've got a '10 Bowery '72 that's only done about 1000 miles and I think I've done something similar :oops: Off to the Bike Doctor's tomorrow...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Lit's legs wrote:
    No float on my pedals? I'll make some float!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Lit's legs wrote:
    No float on my pedals? I'll make some float!

:lol::lol::lol:

And andyb78, no, it's a Fuji Track Classic 2010.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

48/15

Usually 46/14, but the bike came with 48/15, so I'm being lazy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    stop press: LiT buys crap bike and gets delusional :wink:

wimmins know your place

man glad he is soooo far away
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"The power awesome"

You know how I feel about you. You are pretty awesome... Your cycling that is.

Touché though!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • stop press: LiT buys crap bike and gets delusional :wink:

wimmins know your place

:lol::lol:

Are you trying to tell me I'm not awesome? :cry:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Ouch....hopefully dealt with under warranty. Awesome indeed!

BTW, this reminded me.....if you're still using Mr Sheen etc to clean the Maxima, I recommend you stop. Viner UK reckoned soap and water (I can't imagine car shampoo would cause any issues). Perhaps just being ultra-cautious, but you don't want to have the problems I did.......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Your legs are to awesome for that crank
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    stop press: LiT buys crap bike and gets delusional :wink:

wimmins know your place

:lol::lol:

Are you trying to tell me I'm not awesome? :cry:

<hug> there, there, there <hug>

(it'll be a pat on the head next, mark my words....)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"The power awesome"

Touché though!

Don... when you get up a hill faster than a 3 legged ant with heavy shopping I might begin to admit you have *some* power in those flabby thighs... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Ouch!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"The power awesome"

Touché though!

Had we got a Touché perhaps we wouldn't be having these issues :wink:

A change of commuting bike is needed. Maybe something like this...

recumbent%20bike%20-%201.jpg
  • DonDaddyD

Don... when you get up a hill faster than a 3 legged ant with heavy shopping I might begin to admit you have *some* power in those flabby thighs... :D

The weight of awesome is equal to an isosceles triangle travelling at half the speed of light!

It's not flab it's mass, awesome mass.

But this isn't about me, it's about LiT and how awesome she and her thighs are, I've never looked... So tell me I hear you have a hair doll in the shape of them :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

48/15

Almost the same, anyway. I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference, especially on another bike.
    Is 48/15 standard, or did they swap the sprocket for you?
    Cheers,
    W.
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    I just read a good thread in the usingenglish.com forum about how the usuage of the word awesome has changed and this thread is an 'awesome' example :)

Copied and pasted,

My current opinion about the usage of 'awesome' as a slang meaning 'great' or 'wonderful' is summarized by:
    1) Such usage is relatively new, maybe it has begun in the 90's.
    2) The expression 'awesome' with that meaning is mostly used in the AmE, rather than in BrE.

For instance, some months ago I read in a web site:
    'Every generation has its slang expression for "great, fine," indeed, "great" is one of them. Originally meaning "large," today it is used most widely to mean "very good." "She is tops," was the expression in the 30s, following "the cat's meow," "the cat's pajamas," and "top drawer" in the 20s. "Swell" replaced "tops" in the 40s and "cool" and "hip" took their turns in the 50s. "Groovy" was the word in the hippy 60s, followed by "far out," in the 70s, "awesome" in the 90s and, now, "phat." Saying that something is "very good" seems not to appeal to anyone under 30.'
    (from Superman Homepage)
    End paste.

I was at junior school in the 80's and we used "wicked", supplanting the old and outdated "skill" .
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

"The power awesome"

Touché though!

Had we got a Touché perhaps we wouldn't be having these issues :wink:

A change of commuting bike is needed. Maybe something like this...

recumbent%20bike%20-%201.jpg

WHAT THE FECK IS THAT BIKE??????

and well done, obviously such high levels of awesome power LiT that the BB exploded out of inability to make it. You need one made out of unobtainium to survive the aura of awesome.

I love the word awesome :D
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    no idea what the bike is but she might enjoy stopping suddenly....
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

48/15

Almost the same, anyway. I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference, especially on another bike.
    Is 48/15 standard, or did they swap the sprocket for you?
    Cheers,
    W.

It actually came with 48/15, and yeah, it's much the same. Feels spinnier, but that's mostly because the Bowery is packed with bad london black stuff due to years of neglect.
  • Maxticate wrote:
    I just read a good thread in the usingenglish.com forum about how the usuage of the word awesome has changed and this thread is an 'awesome' example :)

Copied and pasted,

My current opinion about the usage of 'awesome' as a slang meaning 'great' or 'wonderful' is summarized by:
    1) Such usage is relatively new, maybe it has begun in the 90's.
    2) The expression 'awesome' with that meaning is mostly used in the AmE, rather than in BrE.

In my book it's now a slightly saracastic word, due to its overuse by americans, the original 'awe-inspiring'-esque meanine having now been lost by dilution.

I really must sign up to this usingenglish forum. Language geeks HO!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Just trying to work out exactly what happened from the OP. Have the cranks come loose from the BB or have the cups started unscrewing from the shell. Awesome all the same.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Just trying to work out exactly what happened from the OP. Have the cranks come loose from the BB or have the cups started unscrewing from the shell. Awesome all the same.

Well, my mechanical knowledge doesn't extend far enough that I can tell you definitively, but if I grab either crank and wiggle it, the two slightly protruding ends of the BB also move, as does the opposite crank.

It's like the whole BB and crank assembly is moving inside the frame.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a trashed BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like a trashed BB.

Dumb. I've only had the bike since the 20th of June.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Gritty sound when it turns?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Gritty sound when it turns?

No, not at all.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I trashed the BB on my Pearson after about 6 months (what does that say about the respective levels of awsome). The BBs supplied with lower to mid range SS/FGs seem to be a bit crap. The replacement has faired a lot better
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides