Real Commuters

124»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I guarantee you'll win that one.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I think Ndru has a point. But its mainly about the differences between the way people use bikes in the UK and in Holland, Denmark, Belgium etc...

Most of us here are bicycle hobbyists, investing in decent bikes, riding clipless, having at least some lycra etc and we'll always be in a minority. Just like similar cyclists in countries like NL are in the minority. The vast majority of people who commute there do so in their work clothes, on basic city bikes.

So (if I understood Ndru correctly) he was saying that we aren't "real commuters" at all because we take it far too seriously. And I'd accept that. I love cycling, I love bikes and I love cycling at pace, so what to most people would be the perceived hassle of bike maintenance, cycle specific clothing, changing at work etc... is for me just what is necessary to enable me to enjoy an activity I love.

Because "real commuting" (Ndru's definition) is so rare in this country and its mainly "hobbyists" that are seen to be commuting, most people just can't be bothered, so drive or use PT.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Greg T wrote:
    This is a typical commuter

IMGlargephotoBikiniBicyclist.jpg

No, that is an atypical communter.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    notsoblue wrote:
    I think Ndru has a point. But its mainly about the differences between the way people use bikes in the UK and in Holland, Denmark, Belgium etc...

Most of us here are bicycle hobbyists, investing in decent bikes, riding clipless, having at least some lycra etc and we'll always be in a minority. Just like similar cyclists in countries like NL are in the minority. The vast majority of people who commute there do so in their work clothes, on basic city bikes.

So (if I understood Ndru correctly) he was saying that we aren't "real commuters" at all because we take it far too seriously. And I'd accept that. I love cycling, I love bikes and I love cycling at pace, so what to most people would be the perceived hassle of bike maintenance, cycle specific clothing, changing at work etc... is for me just what is necessary to enable me to enjoy an activity I love.

Because "real commuting" (Ndru's definition) is so rare in this country and its mainly "hobbyists" that are seen to be commuting, most people just can't be bothered, so drive or use PT.

To a large extent I agree that this is a problem... I'm not convinced that promoting heavy steel roadsters is an appropriate response, though.

As LiT stated, many people perceive cycling as dangerous. Riding a slow, heavy bike which prevents you from integrating with the traffic accentuates this, so there's a chicken & egg situation where there arn't enough cyclists (a critical mass) to let riders of these machines feel safe.
    In Oxford & Cambridge that critical mass exists. I suppose it's just possible that the Bojobike will recreate the same situation in central London.

Cycling will only become a natural choice for many if people feel that they can pootle about in safety... this is what cycle-paths and lanes are supposed to achieve, after all, but they fail spectacularly in the sort of dense urban environment where it isn't possible to avoid conflicts with other traffic.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ndru wrote:
    The fitter you are, the less you sweat.

Can I ask where you picked up this bit of information?

I can give you a perfect example where the opposite is true - me.

AND I can offer a bit of biological evidence to support my counter claim - the fitter and more trained you are - the faster you will begin to sweat because your body is used to you working hard and starts to try stopping you overheating sooner than when you trained less - and likely were less fit.

That makes sense to me. Please can I get the source of you sweat less though...

while what you're saying is true, you sweat like a freak, that gallon coming out of your helmet cushioning was just so damn wrong
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Hmmm, we might have to see who can drink more in the Morpeth... RJS :D

I'm in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    In Oxford & Cambridge that critical mass exists. I suppose it's just possible that the Bojobike will recreate the same situation in central London.

Cycling will only become a natural choice for many if people feel that they can pootle about in safety... this is what cycle-paths and lanes are supposed to achieve, after all, but they fail spectacularly in the sort of dense urban environment where it isn't possible to avoid conflicts with other traffic.

Indeed. I think the Bojobikes will do wonders for cycling in London. Thousands of slow, unhelmeted cyclists pootling around Zone 1 will slowly force drivers to be more tolerant and aware of *all* cyclists. I think the main reason why there is animosity towards cyclists from motorists is because they simply don't see them as belonging on the road. And its easy to have that opinion if "hobbyists" (for want of a better term) are an easily identifiable out-group. Those who ride Bojobikes will be "normal" people (who don't wear deviant lycra and look like they're going into combat) that will be easier for the average motorist to empathise with.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    notsoblue wrote:
    Indeed. I think the Bojobikes will do wonders for cycling in London. Thousands of slow, unhelmeted cyclists pootling around Zone 1 will slowly force drivers to be more tolerant and aware of *all* cyclists. I think the main reason why there is animosity towards cyclists from motorists is because they simply don't see them as belonging on the road. And its easy to have that opinion if "hobbyists" (for want of a better term) are an easily identifiable out-group. Those who ride Bojobikes will be "normal" people (who don't wear deviant lycra and look like they're going into combat) that will be easier for the average motorist to empathise with.

I absolutely disagree for the reasons fair weather cyclists have been criticised. You know the ones who tend not to have a clue about how to conduct themselves on the road, in traffic, give signals, stopping etc. (All "groups" can be criticised for this however).

The overarching point is that more cyclists on the road won't improve the situation. More competent cyclists will.

And that goes above and beyond what type, group or category of cyclist you can be listed as.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I absolutely disagree for the reasons fair weather cyclists have been criticised. You know the ones who tend not to have a clue about how to conduct themselves on the road, in traffic, give signals, stopping etc. (All "groups" can be criticised for this however).

All these issues matter much less if the road infrastructure is designed with cyclists in mind, and other road users are totally used to sharing their space with bikes.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The overarching point is that more cyclists on the road won't improve the situation. More competent cyclists will.

I see your point, but its a bit vacuous. How would we go about improving the number of "competent cyclists" if the very definition of the same implies that cycling competently isn't something that comes natural and requires experience and training? I don't believe that everyone who cycles should do so in the same manner as you or I do.

Its about making cycling the default choice of transport for journeys around town because its convenient and safe imo.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Indeed. I think the Bojobikes will do wonders for cycling in London...

I absolutely disagree ...
    yeah, we know...
    The overarching point is that more cyclists on the road won't improve the situation...
    Yes, it will. More cyclists = safer. Simple as that.
    Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Indeed, I'm quite looking forward to a 'Velowall' at the traffic lights, with all the motorised stuff just having to STFD.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Indeed. I think the Bojobikes will do wonders for cycling in London...

I absolutely disagree ...
    yeah, we know...
    The overarching point is that more cyclists on the road won't improve the situation...
    Yes, it will. More cyclists = safer. Simple as that.
    Cheers,
    W.

I'm with buns on this and the bobike scheme is a great thing. if only from a personal standpoint that I barely have to take the tube again
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Someone's already tracking usage of the Boris Bikes:
    http://road.cc/content/news/21340-resea ... oris-bikes
    Consistent with a lot of (non-real) commuter traffic, apparently.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Fair enough i stand corrected :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Hmmm, we might have to see who can drink more in the Morpeth... RJS :D

I'm in

Like i'm gonna challenge the man who weighs a good half my body weight more than me... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]