Real Commuters

Comments

• When I moved house I specifically looked for somewhere that was a GOOD commute to work - I had slightly less ambitious aims (>6 <15 miles) but it was the entire reason for choosing a house where I have.

I only do 3 days a week but have extended the route (+2 miles) because it's just a better one.

I've offered my house as a jumping off point for people wanting to start cycling in, but can't do the 'full' distance (garage used as bike storage) and am now acting as a domestique for a mate doing a 21 mile each way trip a couple / three days a week.

I pressed work to make sure new showers were included in the redesign, pressed HR for ages to get CTW introduced (they have)

I'm now pressuring them to add a new cycle stand as we've filled the existing one.

I leave a full change of clothing at work permanently.

What does that make me?

Unfeasibly well organised?
    For instance - unlike mine, your mobile is probably not drying out in the airing cupboard because I simply stuck it in a pannier pocket on the wettest day of the decade.
    For all that, I really had smile on my face in the rain this morning - no idea why. And never mind some local jobsworths have stuck "kissing gates" at all my cut-throughs in the park, when the wheels are under me it just seems it's all good (Copenhage-nazism included).
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....

I can't live less than 15 and more than 20 miles away from where I work
    The building i work in needs showers
    and towels
    and a bike park, secured
    and I need a locker - near the showers.

I have to have a house with a garage
    and a bike shop at the end of the road.

Argh

My commute is 30 mins - too short for you but perfect for me as I often have to leave at 4.45am.

The building I work in has a shower - used by two people...
    ...and a drying room where I can dry off my towels and wet gear...
    ...and secure bike lockers...
    ...and large lockers for each member of staff...

I have a secure shed big enough for three bikes...
    ...and an awesome LBS 23 paces from my front door.

It sucks not to be me.
    Rules are for fools.
  • Well I fit all of WDW's criteria and none of ndru's

and for that I'm eternally grateful...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    ndru wrote:
    People who don't tick the boxes I mentioned are more likely to be hobby/sport cyclist than commuters.
    They actually do more harm then good because when people see them they think - wow, do I really have to look like Lance Armstrong to cycle to work - nah, that's too much hassle, can't be bothered. And they are all sweaty and spend hundreds of pounds on bikes that don't look to comfortable... I'd rather take bas/tube/car. And this is the problem of cycling in uk.

Maybe I am a hobby cyclist but I'll be damned if I'm riding 40 miles a day at a relaxed pace in a suit on a dutch bike.

I only ever commute by bike, if I can't ride in I drive to work in the car - that aint commuting.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    prawny wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    People who don't tick the boxes I mentioned are more likely to be hobby/sport cyclist than commuters.
    They actually do more harm then good because when people see them they think - wow, do I really have to look like Lance Armstrong to cycle to work - nah, that's too much hassle, can't be bothered. And they are all sweaty and spend hundreds of pounds on bikes that don't look to comfortable... I'd rather take bas/tube/car. And this is the problem of cycling in uk.

Maybe I am a hobby cyclist but I'll be damned if I'm riding 40 miles a day at a relaxed pace in a suit on a dutch bike.

I only ever commute by bike, if I can't ride in I drive to work in the car - that aint commuting.

I enjoy my commute, but the vast majority of my cycling is utility cycling (commuting and shopping). My round trip is only 26 hilliyish miles and I wear bright cycle clothing because nothing else is practical. I don't want "normal" cloths getting splattered by quarry lorries on the A6 in the rain in the Peak District, I also want these to see me in the dusk. I do shower at work and at home.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I ride every day to work, Always with lycra under my baggies for comfort and always with a lid on and always on OTT bikes for the journey!

Some may see me as a hobby cyclist but I love it. Took the new road bike to work today and got caught in a torrential down pour, walked most of the rest of the way as I'm new to skinny tyres but didn't feel p'd off by it. Luckily the MTB was at work so rode that home in the rain. :lol:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ndru wrote:
    A real commuter
    1)cycles in his/her work clothes
    2) doesn't take a shower, because s/he was cycling in reasonable pace and isn't sweaty.
    3) doesn't need a locker because of point 1 nad 2
    4) his bike is a good strong machine that doesn't break down
    5) and doesn't need maintance (vide dutch bike). If maintance is needed s/he takes it to a shop to get it done
    6) the bicycle is the only mean of transport in the city for him/her

Nope, sorry that just doesn't work.

There are plenty of Real Commuters who need to cycle a fair distance in a short time, often over hills. There may be Real Commuters who fit the above criteria but fitting the above criteria is neither necessary nor sufficient to make you a Real Commuter.

Cheers,
    W.
  • ndru wrote:
    A real commuter
    2) doesn't take a shower, because s/he was cycling in reasonable pace and isn't sweaty.
    5) and doesn't need maintance (vide dutch bike). If maintance is needed s/he takes it to a shop to get it done

Bollox - This is a Guardian Bike Blog Commuter.

If you're doing a 30 mile round trip on this set-up everyday, then you're clearly a fool.

As an aside i'd like to add you know you're a commuter when you're looking at the aerodynamic qualities of backpacks.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    ndru wrote:
    A real commuter

I started to read point 2 and realised that it was wrong, plain and simply - sorry ndru.

The rest doesn't follow and because of it [point 2] being wrong it also invalidates point 1 entirely...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    For a hobby cyclist, I do precious little hobby-ing: maybe once or twice a month I get out at the weekend, so 90% of my cycling is too and from work. I wear lycra because it's more comfortable over 14 miles, and given that I can work up a sweat wslking to the corner shop and back, wearing 'normal' clothes is not an option. I also can't afford to dedicate any more than the roughly 3 hours (including showers, etc.) a day to just getting to work - that's 1/8 of a day. I'll let someone else decide whether I'm real or not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    When I moved house I specifically looked for somewhere that was a GOOD commute to work - I had slightly less ambitious aims (>6 <15 miles) but it was the entire reason for choosing a house where I have.

I only do 3 days a week but have extended the route (+2 miles) because it's just a better one.

I've offered my house as a jumping off point for people wanting to start cycling in, but can't do the 'full' distance (garage used as bike storage) and am now acting as a domestique for a mate doing a 21 mile each way trip a couple / three days a week.

I pressed work to make sure new showers were included in the redesign, pressed HR for ages to get CTW introduced (they have)

I'm now pressuring them to add a new cycle stand as we've filled the existing one.

I leave a full change of clothing at work permanently.

What does that make me?
    The absolute F*CKING DADDY! :lol:
  • I take the bike as it's the better option than the car, and public transport is longer than walking...

it's fairly short distance, 8 mile round trip, so I go in work clothes and bike is solid lump but I don't hang about.

all weather cyclists come in all shapes from folks on BSO with tesco bags on the saddle to lycra folks.
  • morganafr
    morganafr Posts: 8
    edited July 2012
    Well, I would have loved to cycle in work clothes, but as I work in an hotel I cycle about 18 miles each way, and in a full suit, I don't think so. Yes, I have a shower and a locker in our gym, so the facilities are here and some one has to use it.

So this doesn't make a real commuter. O well, at least saving some petrol/gas money. :lol:
    ~~~All Bikes Are Worth Riding ~~~
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Communter hehe that's a good one. A name for an ugly commuting bicycle perhaps.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A new word has been invented. I'm going to remember that... biffa on a bike = communter :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    ndru wrote:

They actually do more harm then good .

dastardly-small.jpg

He drove a car - but I'm now going to get a laughing Dog.

Arf arf arf......
    more likely to be hobby/sport cyclist than commuters.

Arf arf arf arf

Stop it.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    A typical example of a real commuter

real_commuter.jpg
  • ndru wrote:

Really? Are you quite sure?

Because I don't know a single person who thinks that. Everyone I know who would kind of like to cycle to work, but doesn't, cites traffic as their reason.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You know you're a Real Commuter when:

You wouldn't apply for a job you couldn't cycle to

A real commuter can cycle to any job :twisted:
    ndru wrote:
    A real commuter

1) Naaah - but then deliberately cycling over the moors to and from work when I don't have to probably doesn't make me a real commuter
    2) I cycle as hard as I reasonably can but tend not to get sweaty anyway. Still usually have a shower though
    3) Kit drys out on radiator next to my desk if it needs to.
    4) Currently using 20 year old Dawes tourer - not much to go wrong.
    5) Why Dutch? Old school down tube shiftered bike probably as low maintenance as a Dutch 3 speeder. If I can get on a bike and manage to work the pedals and brakes, I can maintain it as well.
    6) True enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    ndru wrote:
    A typical example of a real commuter

Oh now you can just stop that right there.......

In my ten years of "not proper commuting as I have a shower" (by the way you ming - soap dodger) I have never even imagined I would ever see anything like that on a bike.... and I have a VERY Active Imagination....

This is a typical commuter

IMGlargephotoBikiniBicyclist.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ndru
    edited August 2010
    Lit - there are many excuses (and by that I don't mean that everyone has to cycle). What I am trying to say is that there's an image of a cyclist in lycra and all the gear, pushing through the traffic, all sweaty and pedaling as hard as s/he can which isn't appealing for most. I can only guess, but I think that seeing people cycle in their normal clothes in a peaceful manner would maybe not make more people cycle, but perhaps make more people want to cycle and see it as a civilized and socially respected activity and not just reckless sport, taking chances and risking your own life.
    My previous post came across a bit patronizing, and for that I am sorry - it's great that people cycle in whatever clothes and manner. I just feel that you don't need SPD shoes to ride a bicycle to work - it's overkill - but hey if that makes you happy who am I to say anything.

PS. Greg T This bloke is as apealling to me and the general public as a lycra clad, carbon biker (for cycle promotion of course).
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A blinding first post by morganafr. A good point and a new word for the Commuting lexicon.

Communter: n An unattractive person cycling to work.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ndru wrote:
    Lit - there are many excuses (and by that I don't mean that everyone has to cycle). What I am trying to say is that there's an image of a cyclist in lycra and all the gear, pushing through the traffic, all sweaty and pedaling as hard as s/he can which isn't appealing for most. I can only guess, but I think that seeing people cycle in their normal clothes in a peaceful manner would maybe not make more people cycle, but perhaps make more people want to cycle and see it as a civilized and socially respected activity and not just reckless sport, taking chances and risking your own life.
    My previous post came across a bit patronizing, and for that I am sorry - it's great that people cycle in whatever clothes and manner. I just feel that you don't need SPD shoes to ride a bicycle to work - it's overkill - but hey if that makes you happy who am I to say anything.

I really do completely disagree with you!

The image I find (from talking to people) of the lycra-clad cyclist is either a) the way you can cycle at speed and not stink all day, b) something to aspire to, sporty, fit or c) (if they're fat/the lycra is see-through) OMG can you believe they're wearing that.

There are tons of people cycling in normal clothes, I would say that on my route they far outnumber the lycra-clad.

And no, of course you don't need SPDs to cycle to work. I prefer them, though. However, if you want to cycle at pace, and I do, you do definitely need a change of clothes, and lycra/padded shorts do the job the best.
  • ndru
    Well then we agree to disagree. I find that while the image of Lance Armstrong is nice to behold, example of fitness to aspire to and boy is he fast, people wouldn't want to have to be like him when they ride they're bicycle. People that are not into cycling that I talk to feel that the necessity of changing before going for a ride, buying all the equipment is discouraging and then it connects in their minds with an image of a cycle courier dodging cabs are RLJing. I agree that there are more and more people cycling in everyday clothes and not making fuss about what bike they are riding and if it's carbon or not. And that is great because the bicycle stops being a subculture artifact and becomes socially acceptable mode of transport.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2010
    There are so many presumptions about cycling and generalisations forced upon people to categorise them into groups. Lycra and carbon 'all gear no idea'. However, lycra is hygenic, carbon is nice to ride on.

I play on these generalisation in playful discussion but even I accept that any deeper than a surface layer assessment is pretentious bollocks used by people to define common traits or marginalise others.

The bottom line? To be a 'commuter' you need a bike, you need to ride it to work and you love it. Anything used when on the bike is an accessory that you personally enjoy using/wearing.

End of.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ndru
    DonDaddyD - well said.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2010
    ndru wrote:
    DonDaddyD - well said.

Whoa there horsey.

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried and for me that's hard I'm a very disagreeable soul.

I absolutely completely one hundred and twenty five percent think you are wrong.

I think you are being judgemental about different types of cyclists and I think that judgemental stance only serves to prevent people from engaging with cycling. It's like the old class structure, where you weren't considered middle class and frowned upon because of it if you didn't have x,y and z. It's utter rubbish, nobody cares, a car mechanic who failed every written exam they have ever taken can earn more than a lawyer or bank manager and have a much healthier/richer/wealthier lifestyle.

For the past three months I've been riding a £1800 bike to work. For three years I've been wearing lycra and I don't have SPD's I have SPD-sl the more racing ones. my shoes have carbon soles. Everything I wear and use to commute I do for a reason. Let me take you through it.

Lycra is hygenic, my body has less sweat on it when I wear lycra and cycle than wearing my work clothes and cycling. It's also more comfortable and safer, ever had your trousers get caught in your chain-crank-pedal mid rotation.

I use SPD-sl because to my fallen arches they are more comfortable, I was alway going to have SPD-sl on my carbon bike so I got them for my commuter to get completely comfortable with the engage - disengage action. Having more than one shoes with the same cleats is cheaper.

I ride my carbon bike because I enjoy it, I can afford it and to replace it should the worse happen. My aluminium bike is in pieces.

I ride and use what I want to feel comfortable and safe and not to please others.

But I suppose in your mind I'm doing more to disencourage others, right? In your mind I guess I would fall into the category of "all gear no idea" right? Should I stop riding then. I've been doing so since I was 8.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I find that cycling at, or close to, the ambient speed of motorised traffic is safer than pootling along at 10mph. Over 11+ miles at that sort of pace I will sweat. The choice of apparal is a no-brainer for me :twisted:

Plenty of people are using Boris Bikes to commute on now...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    I find that cycling at, or close to, the ambient speed of motorised traffic is safer than pootling along at 10mph. Over 11+ miles at that sort of pace I will sweat. The choice of apparal is a no-brainer for me :twisted:

Plenty of people are using Boris Bikes to commute on now...

I tell you what, if they extended the scheme as far as Ealing I'd consider it.

Then I'd realise it'd drive me round the bend!