Real Commuters

wgwarburton
wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Mudcovered's comment:
...by doing the journey by bike I save about £1000 in petrol costs alone...
...got me thinking (sorry 'bout this mc):

A Real Commuter doesn't think like this- the car isn't an alternative.

You know you're a Real Commuter when:
    You always cycle to work. You use a second bike as a backup, not a car/PT/walk You wouldn't apply for a job you couldn't cycle to You ride a bike that's been bought/modified/set-up specifically for commuting You do your own maintenance or are on first name terms with whoever does You keep gear (parts, clothes, washkit, tools) at work (extra credit if >1 site) You arrange meetings to enable cycling between sites (with freshen up time)

Cheers,
W.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cycle commuter... not just commuter

other than that spot on
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have to move forums :'(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Clever Pun wrote:

other than that spot on
    Umm, I was working on the premis that we all knew that! I mean, that's why we're here, isn't it?

Cheers,
    W.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have to move forums :'(

ditto :?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Clever Pun wrote:

other than that spot on
    Umm, I was working on the premis that we all knew that! I mean, that's why we're here, isn't it?

Cheers,
    W.

Actually, I find that I refer to cycle commuting as "commuting" as if it's the only possible way of getting to and from work, which gets me some odd looks and cross porpoises.
  • biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

other than that spot on

Cheers,
    W.

Actually, I find that I refer to cycle commuting as "commuting" as if it's the only possible way of getting to and from work, which gets me some odd looks and cross porpoises.

Maybe it is those that refer to it simply as 'commuting' who are the real cycle commuters.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yay !! :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    How you know you're a Real cycle commuter, living in London:

You cycled to work this morning.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'm now trapped.....

I can't live less than 15 and more than 20 miles away from where I work
    The building i work in needs showers
    and towels
    and a bike park, secured
    and I need a locker - near the showers.

I have to have a house with a garage
    and a bike shop at the end of the road.

Argh
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....

and towels
    and a bike park, secured

Argh

I hear you. I'm thinking of finding another job, but can't go anywhere that won't cater for my cycling - showers and secure bike parking (pref indoor). Does narrow things down rather.
  • Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....

and towels
    and a bike park, secured

Argh

I hear you. I'm thinking of finding another job, but can't go anywhere that won't cater for my cycling - showers and secure bike parking (pref indoor). Does narrow things down rather.

Yeah, just a tad!

You need to be a bit adaptable, for example shoot for an old-school company so you have your own office, join a decent gym nearby for the showers...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2010
    You wouldn't apply for a job you couldn't cycle to
    Cheers,
    W.

What if that job is prepared to pay £9,000 - £11,000 more but you really cannot get their by bike?

How much do you sell your soul for?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have always cycled, and have never owned a car. I don't do as much now due to health issues, but getting out and about on the bike is just natural.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    How about if you regularly commute even though you have a company car and it therefore costs you money, doesn't offer any PT benefits and adds time to your journey?

Oh and now have a Boris bike key even though you don't live in London, simply so you don't have to use PT when passing through to meetings.....
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....
    <SNIP>

I have a Bike shop literally 400m or less from my front door. It's just a shame they are really clique-y and so MTB-centric that they have made me look for ANY other bike place to spend my cash. It would be lovely to just pop down and pick up this and that like I do with my soon to close down work LBS, and servicing there would be brilliant to drop off and pick up. But I HATE more than anything spending money with people who make me feel uncomfortable :(
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Lock the thread.
    and towels
    and a bike park, secured

This is what I aspire to. I'm taking the 'hit' now so that later on in life I don't have to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....

and towels
    and a bike park, secured

Argh

Hmmm

I appear to be perfectly sited in my "trap".....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Greg T wrote:
    I'm now trapped.....

and towels
    and a bike park, secured

Argh

Yeah, just a tad!

You need to be a bit adaptable, for example shoot for an old-school company so you have your own office, join a decent gym nearby for the showers...

Start your own business/freelance?

EDIT: No, wait, then you wouldn't need to commute at all. Or you'd need to rent an office on the other side of London, just so you could commute, then fit it out with a shower, changing room, bike rack, etc.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

other than that spot on

Cheers,
    W.

Maybe it is those that refer to it simply as 'commuting' who are the real cycle commuters.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    This

Those marine mammals really need to calm down

*assumes lotus position*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    A real commuter
    1)cycles in his/her work clothes
    2) doesn't take a shower, because s/he was cycling in reasonable pace and isn't sweaty.
    3) doesn't need a locker because of point 1 nad 2
    4) his bike is a good strong machine that doesn't break down
    5) and doesn't need maintance (vide dutch bike). If maintance is needed s/he takes it to a shop to get it done
    6) the bicycle is the only mean of transport in the city for him/her
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    ndru wrote:
    A real commuter
    2) doesn't take a shower, because s/he was cycling in reasonable pace and isn't sweaty.
    5) and doesn't need maintance (vide dutch bike). If maintance is needed s/he takes it to a shop to get it done

I fail on pretty much all of those. I commute in lycra. I don't take a shower, but I do get sweaty because I ride (relatively) quickly. I don't have a locker, but I do have a change of clothes and a towel. My bike is a strong machine, but it "broke down" a couple of months ago when it required a new chain and rear cassette. I did the maintenance myself.

I guess I'm not a real cycle commuter after all. :(

No, that's b*llocks. Of course I frackin' am! :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ndru wrote:
    A real commuter

Hmmm. I take a change of tshirt and shorts, but my work doesn't have lockers or a shower. As for the bike, so far so good.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    When I moved house I specifically looked for somewhere that was a GOOD commute to work - I had slightly less ambitious aims (>6 <15 miles) but it was the entire reason for choosing a house where I have.

I only do 3 days a week but have extended the route (+2 miles) because it's just a better one.

I've offered my house as a jumping off point for people wanting to start cycling in, but can't do the 'full' distance (garage used as bike storage) and am now acting as a domestique for a mate doing a 21 mile each way trip a couple / three days a week.

I pressed work to make sure new showers were included in the redesign, pressed HR for ages to get CTW introduced (they have)

I'm now pressuring them to add a new cycle stand as we've filled the existing one.

I leave a full change of clothing at work permanently.

What does that make me?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ndru wrote:
    A real commuter
    When I take the Brompton into 'town' I can tick most these boxes off.

Have to say, that I'm a relative new convert to the whole concept of cycling to get somewhere (though still really enjoy it) and not having to get lycra'ed/fluro'ed/helmet'ed up. Its the Brompton that has really opened it up to me, as I've realised how handy it is for going just about anywhere, plus it removes the stress of leaving your bike locked up anywhere.

The strange thing, is that on reflection, this is how I used to use the bike when I was a kid/teenager/at uni. Weird how your risk perception changes with time.

There's a great video on the founder of the Copenhagenize blog, which pretty much sums it all up. Nowt wrong with lycra'ing and helmeting up (I type this having come in from a very nice lycra'ed up road ride), it just they shouldn't be barriers to the 'popping down to the shops' journeys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozCu1BBaWE
    It really made me think (OSK in changing his opinions moment :-o)
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Is this the start of a competition - who can score most commuting points (bit like FCNs)?
    Steve C
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    When his wife asks "Need anything from Tesco"

The real commuter says "Sudocreme" and his wife is not suprised/shocked/horrified
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notsoblue wrote:
    How you know you're a Real cycle commuter, living in London:

You cycled to work this morning.

was gutted I had to use PT today...was working in Oxford so no option but to take train/tube/train.....hmmmm.....I love cycling through puddles, and I'm not being sarcastic! :lol:
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    People who don't tick the boxes I mentioned are more likely to be hobby/sport cyclist than commuters.
    They actually do more harm then good because when people see them they think - wow, do I really have to look like Lance Armstrong to cycle to work - nah, that's too much hassle, can't be bothered. And they are all sweaty and spend hundreds of pounds on bikes that don't look to comfortable... I'd rather take bas/tube/car. And this is the problem of cycling in uk.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    ndru wrote:
    People who don't tick the boxes I mentioned are more likely to be hobby/sport cyclist than commuters.
    They actually do more harm then good because when people see them they think - wow, do I really have to look like Lance Armstrong to cycle to work - nah, that's too much hassle, can't be bothered. And they are all sweaty and spend hundreds of pounds on bikes that don't look to comfortable... I'd rather take bas/tube/car. And this is the problem of cycling in uk.

StageBalls.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ndru wrote:
    A real commuter

Nonsense.

A real commuter cycles in whatever clothes they like.
    You can always find a use for a locker.
    Showers at work saves water usage at home.
    All bikes break down and will need maintenance.
    PT is a rarely-used option, but still an option when warranted.

8)