Ow ow ow my knees

13»

Comments

• Blimey richred, that's awful!

I still haven't worked out my knee things, it seems that the only time they hurt is when I'm in SPDs on the fixie. I may dig out the old fixie to see if that also hurts.

The only brainwave I had whilst on the tube in this morning (drinking on a monday night = bad idea) was that perhaps with normal shoes and the flat side of the pedal my saddle is effectively slightly higher than with SPDs. But otoh, I can maybe just move my feet.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Fingers crossed that sorts you out!

Thanks. It really is a tiny amount out of true - maybe a degree or two at the most; surprising how noticeable such a small difference was. I'd definitely have a look at the effective stack height of normal shoes + flats vs. cycling shoes + SPDs; it seems a few millimetres is enough to throw things out of whack.

@richred: hope the next few months don't drag too much. It definitely pays to ask plenty of questions when you go to the doctor. I've also heard of heart problems suggested by cyclists' HRMs being misdiagnosed until more serious symptoms arose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have to leave shed loads of float on my right foot cos my buggered hip means it spins on the horizontal axis as I pedal quite massively. Left side is fine (and replaced).
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    LIT - have you had a good check over the fixed dimensions and measurements compared to the Viner or old Fixie.

My 2 road bikes and MTB are set up near identical...

The Fixed is a little lower on the saddle, and has a 10mm shorter reach. Get the plumb line out and check saddle set back from the bb, saddle height and reach.

Also get to a doctors for at lease a check. My well worn 40 year old knees with 25 years of cycling still run like ceramic bearings...... shame my shoulder doesn't, but that's car/cycle damage.

As for supplements, Omega 3 is obvious, and Glucosamine tablets - Clondroitin or what ever it's called has been shown not much good, even my GP said so - she did say Glucosamine can work... I'm taking 1500mg a day for the early onset arthritis from my accident nearly two years ago - seems to help, but only been using it for 2 or so months....
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    fossyant wrote:
    LIT - have you had a good check over the fixed dimensions and measurements compared to the Viner or old Fixie.

My 2 road bikes and MTB are set up near identical...

The Fixed is a little lower on the saddle, and has a 10mm shorter reach. Get the plumb line out and check saddle set back from the bb, saddle height and reach.

Also get to a doctors for at lease a check. My well worn 40 year old knees with 25 years of cycling still run like ceramic bearings...... shame my shoulder doesn't, but that's car/cycle damage.

As for supplements, Omega 3 is obvious, and Glucosamine tablets - Clondroitin or what ever it's called has been shown not much good, even my GP said so - she did say Glucosamine can work... I'm taking 1500mg a day for the early onset arthritis from my accident nearly two years ago - seems to help, but only been using it for 2 or so months....

+1 to all the above. Setup sounds like the prime culprit to me. I had a bikefit done for the Viner, same setup done for the Condor. Neither has given me any problems whatsoever, even after my 137 mile day & during L2P. The one time I did have an achy knee, it was on the Cadenza (QR seatpost, it was set a bit low after a service)- fortunately that was short lived. Medical advice certainly a good idea, and supplements might well be of benefit to you too.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Well, I didn't get around to adjusting my cleats, but the rain induced pootling last night seems to have held off any achy-ness thus far. I'm thinking it might be a combination of slightly misaligned cleats, and too much mashing. I've heard tell you are a bit of a masher, LiT: are you using generally more spinny gears on the Viner than the new fixie?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition