If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

Miggins
Miggins Posts: 433
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Obviously I mean with the view of being able to get out on some great rides. Work brought me up to Aberdeenshire from Surrey and I'm loving the riding that's on my door-step here, but there are some cracking places all over the UK. If you could live anywhere in the UK to be able to get out and ride, where would it be?
After uphill there's downhill

Comments

• Anywhere in Scotland... around Edinburgh probably.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Inside Britneys bikini...
  • Splottboy wrote:
    Inside Britneys bikini...
    not in the UK for starters...
  • If it had to be in the UK. I would live in the Lakes you have so much on your doorstep and it's right near Scotland, you have the Dales just beneath you. The moors are not too far away either.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Cornwall.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited August 2010
    Depends. If I didn't care about being near civilisation for work and social purposes, and wasn't bothered about the cold and miserable winter conditions, then I'd probably be up in Scotland.

As a compromise, somewhere around South Wales would be good. I've always liked Cardiff and it's not too bad for jobs as a software developer.

However, it's pretty good where I am in Surrey. Perfect for the day job as it's near everything. I can get into London in 30 minutes on the train. I can get to South Wales in 2 to 3 hours. Plus I've got Surrey Hills on my doorstep which whilst not a mountain range, it's got an impressive range of trails. Not to mention Swinley and a whole host of other stuff surrounding London which isn't all too far away.

Proximity to London also means it's easy to hop on a flight to the Alps or get over to North America. Currently I do ski trips to North America each year but I'm keen at some point to do the bike option too. Having grown up in Devon and found it takes 3 hours+ to just get to a decent airport, I'd rather be where I am.

However, I'd probably retire somewhere nicer :D

My perfect location anywhere in the world though would be somewhere like Vancouver. Great standard of living, great countryside, fantastic big houses, and places like Whistler on the doorstep.
  • Splottboy
    Yeah, but think of the Mountains, Thick undergrowth, flowing rivers...
    Don't fancy the Log Flume tho.

OK, Pacific N.West, around the Waterton Peace Park area.
    Rode there in 94, unbelieveable area, atmosphere.
    If any of you get to the States/Canada, you've got to see this place.
    Looks like to beginning of the "Shining"...deserted roads for miles, then a small town.
    "Prince of Wales" hotel the place to stay.
    Last century style, decor and atmosphere.

In "Europe", Gran Canria, amazing place, totally amazing.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Anywhere in Scotland... around Edinburgh probably.
    This, however i'm moving to north wales for university soon, so it's not all bad.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • In/near the sierra nevada maountains in spain.

Great trails,great tapas,great people.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Splottboy
    Bangor eh? Ok, not bad for a student town.
    Close to Mtb, Climbing, Canoeing, etc.

I taught their students on an Mtb Leaders course, at Coleg Menai.
    Also taught them on HND courses.

Once you're out of Bangor, Anglesey very nice as is Nant Ffrancon/Nantlle Valley, Snowdon
  • ilovedirt
    Splottboy wrote:
    Bangor eh? Ok, not bad for a student town.
    Close to Mtb, Climbing, Canoeing, etc.

I taught their students on an Mtb Leaders course, at Coleg Menai.
    Also taught them on HND courses.

Once you're out of Bangor, Anglesey very nice as is Nant Ffrancon/Nantlle Valley, Snowdon
    Yep :) Really looking forward to getting up there and getting out on the bike
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    Looks like to beginning of the "Shining"...deserted roads for miles, then a small town.
    For more Shining goodness...

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

:D

(and seem to be building up a bit of a mountain bike area, complete with uplift thanks to the ski resort).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just a bit further up the road, closer to Wharncliffe so I didn't have to do a big climb to get there.
  • Splottboy
    You'll get roped into going to the Octagon, or whatever it's called now.

Only "decent" club in Bangor.

Just be VERY CAREFUL...lot's of aggro with the local Gog's.
    Two pints and they wanna fight the whole of World.

Dodgy druggies too...
  • ilovedirt
    Ahh i'll be alright, i tend to steer clear of those sort of pubs... there's a few of them types round here.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Edinburgh's pretty good. Fairly easy access to most of the best riding in the UK, decent XC in our back door, all the 7 Stanes and plenty of others at our disposal and proper mountains within sight. Also a nice place to live in general.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Toss up between Scotland and Wales. Both have awesome DH/FR, but which is better? Hmm....
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Aberdeenshire has some fantastic riding having the Cairngorm mountains. Just need some more lift access DH. But then again there are about 3 lift access DH tracks within 3hrs. :D Glad I left Londonshire, pretty much everything down there sucks in comparison.
  • Anonymous
    I'd love to live in North Wales. Worth Nails is pretty good, but it always rains here.

Alternatively, I'd love to live in Alton Towers :D
  • Splottboy
    Yeah, strapped to those Bouncy Birds no doubt?
  • Id like to move too wales :D
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'm quite happy where I am- jst above the Lakes so Scotlands not too far away really.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm quite happy where I am- jst above the Lakes so Scotlands not too far away really.

I live in Scotland but some bits are still too far away :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • aahjnnot
    aahjnnot Posts: 41
    No hint of bias, but it has to be South Wales. Finding decent trails straight from your home before / after work or before the kids get out of bed on a weekend beats the heck out of finding the weather's foul on your carefully planned dedicated biking day trip. And we have decent surf for the times when you don't feel like biking.

So my weekend goes like this: check magicseaweed.com to see if the surf's up. If so, fit a bike ride around the surf forecast. If it's a biking-only day, check the weather forecast; if it's going to be hot, start riding at 7:00am and go for a coastal walk / swim later in the day. If it's cold, I have the whole day for the bike.

Perfect.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Northwind wrote:

I live in Scotland but some bits are still too far away :lol:

:lol::lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    That's a tough one; I live in Dorset and it's kinda nice down here. Good weather and nice riding, climbing, surfing. However, I really like Coed y Brennin near Dolgellau. Mother in law has a holiday let up there so we visit a couple times a year. Very nice spot
    deadkenny wrote:
    My perfect location anywhere in the world though would be somewhere like Vancouver. Great standard of living, great countryside, fantastic big houses, and places like Whistler on the doorstep.

That's where I grew up. It's awesome isn't it!
    Many happy trails!
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    I see no reason to be other than in North Wales.

Had to laugh at the Splottboy's comments regarding Bangor. Having worked there for 18 months, I can fully endorse what he says. The locals are xenophobic, homophobic and a few other 'phobics to boot. As a tip - don't ride a bike in pink or pastel colours and certainly don't speak English if you do. :lol:

Great LBS though.

I seriously think N Wales was created by God just for the sole purpose of mountain biking.
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • Splottboy
    Yep, why do you think I moved from Essex to N.Wales?

The Mountains, Man...the Mountains.

Oh...And the beaches, dunes, forests, woods, rivers, lakes, wildlife, but not,

NOT the Weather...
  • Anonymous
    Actually I reckon you're quite far off the mark when it comes to Bangor. There's very few locals there, and those that do live there are almost entirely English speaking. As for the the city and atmosphere, it's pretty bohemian, since it's occupied almost entirely by Students. No one has that "you're on MY turf" thing going on, really.
    Best club was Time, far less fighting than the Octagon, which is a cesspit of faecal humans.
  • Splottboy
    I didn't think the Otagon was that good ! LOL !!!

Had to go there once, in the daytime, to organise a student do.

OMG, the carpet was almsot ALIVE !!!

Closest thing I've seen is probably a 1950's B-Movie Horror flick, with that slimey, foam stuff they used to use.